test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why Dissent being punished by Cryptic? No freedom to express discord HERE

Comments

• sethpcsethpc Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    A better request might be for him to ask the appropriate parties to address this. Taco appears to be posting out of courtesy, which is definitely appreciated, but forum-specific issues are better addressed by the likes of Smirk and Trendy, who are very likely the ones who implemented this odd 300 second thing.

It's probably not even them who set up the posting cooldown. I've PMed Smirk in the past asking about the feasibility of adding certain vBulletin features, and he mentioned the PWE web team being the ones who determined how the forums across all their games are implemented. Not saying it couldn't have been either him or Trendy, but there is another party involved.
  • paarethpaareth Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    taco...do you make policy? if not then there is no reason for you to feel personally insulted, you work for cryptic as far as i know you aren't cryptic unless there was a chip implanted at some point >.>

Depends on the company. Some I agree with you. If it was where I work currently, i'd be insulted also as I feel part of it.
  • cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well, I hope they are prepared for another round considering the stealth nerf to xp they slipped into todays patch.

@ D'angelo: /golfclap
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,434 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Maybe Taco's posting because he's the only one you don't immediately start flaming the moment his name appears. Just sayin'...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    You have the right to speak and voice your opinion in any public forum. you do not have the right to speak and voice your opinion anywhere and anytime you want. Your right to speach does not trump the property rights of others, for example. You can protest outside a restaurant, if you go inside you can be arrested, as that is not a public forum, and your removal is not a suspension of any right you possessed.

Exactly.

And these boards are privately run and owned. That gives the Community Team a great deal of leeway in deciding what is acceptable and what is not, even if they are not spelled out in the Terms of Service. Sometimes they have to make judgment calls to put out fires, so to speak.

Anytime one posts on a corporate owned forum, one can expect some toning own of criticism toward their product. Especially if it's full of fire-filled rhetoric and frothing nerd-rage.
  • adorenkoadorenko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Maybe Taco's posting because he's the only one you don't immediately start flaming the moment his name appears. Just sayin'...

I think this thread has been pretty tame. I don't think any us would attack a mod or dev, we would appreciate it if they took the time to talk to us.
    Looking for more info on Dilithium Rising? Click on the link below:

[SIGPIC]Click here to visit my STO YouTube channel[/SIGPIC]
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    adorenko wrote: »
    I think this thread has been pretty tame. I don't think any us would attack a mod or dev, we would appreciate it if they took the time to talk to us.

And say what? I posted in a thread yesterday why all the spec/xp stuff was being closed, in detail, and yet the threads still show up.

They, 9 times outta 10, turn into flame/trolling posts that need to be put down. Some posts here should be moderated as well, but atm, I'm busy actually doing some real life stuff while my husband is entertaining his godson.

If people have questions about mod actions then submit a ticket! If you have questions as to why we do things well sadly, this isn't the place for it. I've walked the line on discussing moderation before to try to stem the tide of anger and hate posts and sometimes it's worked, others it hasn't.

I should just go on a podcast and get all the forum moderation questions out of the way in one shot... lol.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    to be honest, there's only two unpopular representatives of Cryptic here...

the mods aren't unpopular. The mods don't have the level of access required to timegate it.
  • blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The Forums are owned by Cryptic and they have a right to do whatever they feel is in their best interest.

Removal of a post to protect their product from misrepresention is within their rights.

Would you allow someone to post on your FaceBook or whatever something that hurts your character. ( thats leads to loss of business)

Why should a company be any different.

No one here is entitled to any rights or freedom of speech.

Note: We are all here at the discretion of Cryptic and their hospitally.
    download.jpg
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The Forums are owned by Cryptic and they have a right to do whatever they feel is in their best interest.

Removal of a post to protect their product from misrepresention is within their rights.

Would you allow someone to post on your FaceBook or whatever something that hurts your character. ( thats leads to loss of business)

they may can do whatever they want on this forums but ppl can still use FB other forums youtube to get the word out :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • adorenkoadorenko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    askray wrote: »
    And say what? I posted in a thread yesterday why all the spec/xp stuff was being closed, in detail, and yet the threads still show up.

They, 9 times outta 10, turn into flame/trolling posts that need to be put down. Some posts here should be moderated as well, but atm, I'm busy actually doing some real life stuff while my husband is entertaining his godson.

If people have questions about mod actions then submit a ticket! If you have questions as to why we do things well sadly, this isn't the place for it. I've walked the line on discussing moderation before to try to stem the tide of anger and hate posts and sometimes it's worked, others it hasn't.

I should just go on a podcast and get all the forum moderation questions out of the way in one shot... lol.

Sorry, I guess mod was the wrong word, as you guys manage bad behavior, I meant someone who could provide feedback as to why this 300 second CD on the forums came about.

Was it because of all the "negative" talk already on the forums or server stress? Oh. damn I gave them an excuse.
    Looking for more info on Dilithium Rising? Click on the link below:

[SIGPIC]Click here to visit my STO YouTube channel[/SIGPIC]
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Adorenko, check your PM box. :)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Sorry, I guess mod was the wrong word, as you guys manage bad behavior, I meant someone who could provide feedback as to why this 300 second CD on the forums came about.

That would be Smirk/Trendy, our Community Managers. But I don't expect them to come with a statement; and I don't really blame them for it, either: primarily, I guess, because everyone here, in their heart of hearts, already knows *exactly* why they put the 300 secs measure in effect.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    they may can do whatever they want on this forums but ppl can still use FB other forums youtube to get the word out :D

The Internet is an awesome, vast tool for spreading....positive and negative. Give it a month or less and places like FB, Twitter, YouTube will have thousands of bad reviews for this company.
    edited October 2014

Actually it's owned by PWE ;)
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.

edited October 2014

Was it because of all the "negative" talk already on the forums or server stress? Oh. damn I gave them an excuse.
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    That would be Smirk/Trendy, our Community Managers. But I don't expect them to come with a statement; and I don't really blame them for it, either: primarily, I guess, because everyone here, in their heart of hearts, already knows *exactly* why they put the 300 secs measure in effect.

Actually I stumbled upon the 300 second measure a little bit ago (it's not something even we can go around lol) and honestly? It's not because of the negative talk, it's for server stress. Plus it lowers spammers abilities to go hog wild.

edited October 2014
    I REALLY wish it had been stated earlier if it was a server stress problem, before it was implemented. Cryptic/PWE should not have stuck you with communicating that, askray, especially not done that to you after the you-know-what has hit the fan and you're not even getting paid for your trouble. :-/

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited October 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    I REALLY wish it had been stated earlier if it was a server stress problem, before it was implemented. Cryptic/PWE should not have stuck you with communicating that, askray, especially not done that to you after the you-know-what has hit the fan and you're not even getting paid for your trouble. :-/

Honestly it's probably something they just did and didn't think about it. I don't think it was recent either as I could have sworn I hit it awhile ago (but I could also be thinking about another board I'm on too many that look the same lol).

• shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Honestly it's probably something they just did and didn't think about it. I don't think it was recent either as I could have sworn I hit it awhile ago (but I could also be thinking about another board I'm on too many that look the same lol).

Nope this is recent. No announcement, no reason given, they just left it to a playerbase that was already pre-disposed to think the worst to speculate as to the cause.
    edited October 2014
    Nope this is recent. No announcement, no reason given, they just left it to a playerbase that was already pre-disposed to think the worst to speculate as to the cause.

Yeah I just read the other thread, I'll see if I can't get some clarification or some answers :)

edited October 2014
    Actually I stumbled upon the 300 second measure a little bit ago (it's not something even we can go around lol) and honestly? It's not because of the negative talk, it's for server stress. Plus it lowers spammers abilities to go hog wild.

Seriously Askray? Seriously? How do you read the notes given by PW with a straight face?

If it was server stress, they'd had increased it to 60 seconds to see if it works... 255 additional seconds is a tad bit... overkill...

Kinda like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiX3gq3RfvQ

I actually understand your position why you got to say those things though so... no worries.
    edited October 2014

It was recent. Believe me, despite how long some of my posts are, I would have known of its existence a long time ago were it older than yesterday. ;) Plus, I know one of the other mods or devs stated there would be an incoming "software change" a few hours before it happened, with no details as to what type of change or what to expect.

Not thinking about it is one of the key problems going on here: we aren't a system problem to be addressed by implementing the equivalent of EVE's ti-di. Imposing constraints on throughput without addressing the communications issues or the upset the player base has felt won't help...this can't be addressed as a systems problem to be fixed with system tools. It needs to be fixed with a majority focus on people skills. If the server was overstressed, they should have come out and said that before they did this instead of just taking a silent action that I think any reasonable person would have expected to fan the flames. And a one-to-two-minute timer should have been sufficient.

Like I said, they should not have put you in the position of having to answer for them. :-/ They should've done it themselves. :-/

• voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah I just read the other thread, I'll see if I can't get some clarification or some answers :)

*Holds Ashkrik23 at phaserpoint*

Clarify the situation or the kitty gets it! ;)

I really do hope this is just to relieve server stress and not to stifle players. Either way, this wasn't the most, um, ideal time to implement it without word.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
    edited October 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    It was recent. Believe me, despite how long some of my posts are, I would have known of its existence a long time ago were it older than yesterday. ;) Plus, I know one of the other mods or devs stated there would be an incoming "software change" a few hours before it happened, with no details as to what type of change or what to expect.

Not thinking about it is one of the key problems going on here: we aren't a system problem to be addressed by implementing the equivalent of EVE's ti-di. Imposing constraints on throughput without addressing the communications issues or the upset the player base has felt won't help...this can't be addressed as a systems problem to be fixed with system tools. It needs to be fixed with a majority focus on people skills. If the server was overstressed, they should have come out and said that before they did this instead of just taking a silent action that I think any reasonable person would have expected to fan the flames. And a one-to-two-minute timer should have been sufficient.

Like I said, they should not have put you in the position of having to answer for them. :-/ They should've done it themselves. :-/
    Like I said, I THOUGHT it was something i stumbled upon before but apparently I was wrong lol. I have asked for some quick clarification but no guarantees as I do have to get ready for work in a few hours.

edited October 2014
    Like I said, I THOUGHT it was something i stumbled upon before but apparently I was wrong lol. I have asked for some quick clarification but no guarantees as I do have to get ready for work in a few hours.

good luck...
  • rswfiredotcomrswfiredotcom Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited October 2014

With the utmost and genuine respect for you, these are terrible reasons for implementing a five minute timer between posts. I do not personally believe that server stress has anything to do with it either. Your server has been responsive all day. As for spammers: that is what you are here for, is it not? Someone abuses the rules, you ban them. End of story. But putting a five minute hold on all conversation effectively destroys any real communication between people. I won't use these boards for very long with this measure in place...and quite honestly, I believe that's the intended goal. I have no reason to believe otherwise. I have experienced firsthand just how insensitive, callous, disrespectful, dishonest, and dismissive this company can be to its paying customers. Again...all due respect to you. You seem like a good guy from what I have seen of your posts, and it's unfortunate you must be the person who has to listen through all of this because the devs (pretty much in your own words, several times) are too scared to come here. To them I say, HTFU!
    edited October 2014
    Again...all due respect to you. You seem like a good guy from what I have seen of your posts,

woman, just a fyi.

Didn't expect you to know that though.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    woman, just a fyi.

Didn't expect you to know that though.

Uh no, Paul is a guy.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
    edited October 2014
    With the utmost and genuine respect for you, these are terrible reasons for implementing a five minute timer between posts. I do not personally believe that server stress has anything to do with it either. Your server has been responsive all day. As for spammers: that is what you are here for, is it not? Someone abuses the rules, you ban them. End of story. But putting a five minute hold on all conversation effectively destroys any real communication between people. I won't use these boards for very long with this measure in place...and quite honestly, I believe that's the intended goal. I have no reason to believe otherwise. I have experienced firsthand just how insensitive, callous, disrespectful, dishonest, and dismissive this company can be to its paying customers. Again...all due respect to you. You seem like a good guy from what I have seen of your posts, and it's unfortunate you must be the person who has to listen through all of this because the devs (pretty much in your own words, several times) are too scared to come here. To them I say, HTFU!

Actually we can't ban. We can only remove posts. But I understand people thinking otherwise it's why I've e-mailed internally asking if I can get some details to share, or if someone can come and share :)

• waffadeuce1waffadeuce1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    to be honest, there's only two unpopular representatives of Cryptic here...

the mods aren't unpopular. The mods don't have the level of access required to timegate it.

Mods not unpopular? Not yet maybe... come on down to the PvP forums... oh, wait...it's dead Jim...

Yoohoo, ASKRAY, wher r u sweetling? marco polooooo...

*still grinzing*

Kill Feddie,

Waff
This discussion has been closed.