test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Playable Talaxians? I have a idea as to why..

hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
After the Liberation of the Borg I think Cryptic is going to make borg a playable class for everyone. They gave talaxians as a replacement so people that have the tilme in to get borg won't have something to complain about (cryptic logic, flawed of course). To help support this idea. I know you have noticed the updated textures on borg spheres and cubes. Thats not because the wanted the borg in Delta to look diffrent. Its because they wanted them to look diffrent for thier Borg Lockbox. Just a hunch but... I think its gonna happen and maybe soon. What do you think. Cryptic doesn't give us anything. Unless there is a reason for profit behind it. Don't be fooled by the Wolf in sheeps clothing.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Honestly, I do not care nor mind a borg lockbox or species.

All I want is reasonable rewards, dil costs, xp, and ec from sources.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    rswfiredotcomrswfiredotcom Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    They are not going to do this. They swore up and down that they would never make the Liberated Borg playable by anyone other than the original LTS crowd. If I remember correctly, specifically those that pre-ordered it.

If they did this, they would have flat out lied to their customers (which, granted, I wouldn't put past them), but in this case, I just don't see that happening. The idea of thousands of half Borg captains is not even remotely realistic, which is why it's a perfect gift for the LTS crowd.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    They are not going to do this. They swore up and down that they would never make the Liberated Borg playable by anyone other than the original LTS crowd. If I remember correctly, specifically those that pre-ordered it.

If they did this, they would have flat out lied to their customers (which, granted, I wouldn't put past them), but in this case, I just don't see that happening. The idea of thousands of half Borg captains is not even remotely realistic, which is why it's a perfect gift for the LTS crowd.

oh and you think past 2 week have been forums rage let this happen and rage will go to a whole new level count on it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Not only do they lie to the customer, they can also do it since they do change the devs over time.

Remember, one developer is not the same as the other. One may not want liberated borg, but his replacement may just as well do it.

As long as PWE/Cryptic sees money in it, they'll do it. I do not think they'll do it soon, they still got the Dominion and the Cardassians to put in first....but in the future, if the game lasts that long, they will have no qualms about it.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Not only do they lie to the customer, they can also do it since they do change the devs over time.

Remember, one developer is not the same as the other. One may not want liberated borg, but his replacement may just as well do it.

As long as PWE/Cryptic sees money in it, they'll do it. I do not think they'll do it soon, they still got the Dominion and the Cardassians to put in first....but in the future, if the game lasts that long, they will have no qualms about it.

Sorry, but I consider this irrelevant. It does not matter that employees come and go. What is said by a representative of a company with the authority to do so sticks whether they remain or not. Also this was listed on their website, advertised this way. All of this is beside the point however as the people who guaranteed this are still there (one of them would be D'Angelo himself). I am not an LTS member but I vividly remember how hot a topic this was and the promises that were made and I will support the original LTS over this. They deserve it! They took a chance on this game -- they gambled and won (if they are still around). I was on the fence at the time and now wish I had not been. The Liberated Borg is theirs. If they make it a playable race, then I will have even more issues with this company.

J-sus Fu--ing Christ Already!
    This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between posts. Please try again in 57 seconds.
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »

Dont certain feature additions to the game have to have CBS approval? isnt the playable borg with borg ships (cubes, spheres and probes) one of those thing that CBS has said "no" on? that along with tier 5 and tier 6 connies and playable android species?
  • Options
    beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited October 2014

lets be honest and get over the idea cryptic well not do this cause they "promised" cryptic owns the game it is THEIR game they can freaking do what they want and nothing anyone can do is gonna change their mind. if PWE says to do it by putting it in the Cstore to make more profit they well and nothing you or I or anyone else crying about it well change a thing i have seen this done in other games a million times so no point in worrying about it. I for one do not care if tey did this or did not do it Lib borg just isn't my thing granted i am a big borg fan lol.

• Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Sorry, but I consider this irrelevant. It does not matter that employees come and go. What is said by a representative of a company with the authority to do so sticks whether they remain or not. Also this was listed on their website, advertised this way. All of this is beside the point however as the people who guaranteed this are still there (one of them would be D'Angelo himself).

If you go back through what's been said and written by (high-ranking) Cryptic employees, you'll find quite a few definate statements, that have turned out to be not true, or that only held until the person in question wasn't there anymore.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    stonewbie wrote: »
    Dont certain feature additions to the game have to have CBS approval? isnt the playable borg with borg ships (cubes, spheres and probes) one of those thing that CBS has said "no" on? that along with tier 5 and tier 6 connies and playable android species?
    I do not believe CBS said no to Borg. What I believe they said no to was no "evil" Factions in the game. This is why Cryptic has always been very clear about saying "Liberated from the Collective," as in Hugh's group, as a possible additional Micro-Faction at some point.

And yes, they have, more then once, mentioned a Liberated Micro-Faction as a possibility at some point in the future.

Finally, anyone who believes Corporations do not change their opinions over time has not paid much attention to the world around them. Corporations are constantly changing directions in the hope of making money. After all, there is a reason why Paramount approved JJ-Trek instead of another Prime Universe movie 6 years ago. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    beerxhyper wrote: »
    lets be honest and get over the idea cryptic well not do this cause they "promised"

I do not hold them in high regard, but this I feel is even below them. That's me being honest. I do not share your view. That said, this is a pointless topic. They gave the LTS people a new race to play. That's really cool of them. It's about time they did something for them because I have been considering buying the LTS. There are a few things they are doing that aren't advertised that make it a value for some, even this late in the game. I am happy they did something like this for the LTS subscribers and I'm just going to give credit where credit is due. Kudos to Cryptic for doing it. /rant
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I do not hold them in high regard, but this I feel is even below them. That's me being honest. I do not share your view. That said, this is a pointless topic. They gave the LTS people a new race to play. That's really cool of them. It's about time they did something for them because I have been considering buying the LTS. There are a few things they are doing that aren't advertised that make it a value for some, even this late in the game. I am happy they did something like this for the LTS subscribers and I'm just going to give credit where credit is due. Kudos to Cryptic for doing it. /rant

or they simply want people who want to play as a Talaxian to put down $300 for a LTS, instead of just $6 which are usually charged for a new, playable species.

It's a company, who wants to make money. They're doing this to sell new Lifetime Subscriptions, not to make current LTSers, whose money they already own happy.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So seriousy? You guys are discussing the addition of another playable species as a reason for the removal of another, and release to the general public? Nuts...

If anything, it's a reason to allow for them to add the Liberated Borg to the Lock-boxes like they did with freeform over at champs... and even that is SPECULATION....

Sigh.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Wait … I don't see the Borg playable faction mentioned in the STO wiki upcoming content anymore… only the Cardies
    P58WJe7.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2014
    or they simply want people who want to play as a Talaxian to put down $300 for a LTS, instead of just $6 which are usually charged for a new, playable species.

It's a company, who wants to make money. They're doing this to sell new Lifetime Subscriptions, not to make current LTSers, whose money they already own happy.

Well, of course that's part of it. Add things to the LTS to make it more appealing. I don't think Neelix alone is enough (I can't see many people wanting to play a Talaxian), but it's a fairly smart move, and they should keep that up. Make it more enticing to purchase a lifetime sub.
  • Options
    lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    beerxhyper wrote: »
    lets be honest and get over the idea cryptic well not do this cause they "promised" cryptic owns the game it is THEIR game they can freaking do what they want and nothing anyone can do is gonna change their mind. if PWE says to do it by putting it in the Cstore to make more profit they well and nothing you or I or anyone else crying about it well change a thing i have seen this done in other games a million times so no point in worrying about it. I for one do not care if tey did this or did not do it Lib borg just isn't my thing granted i am a big borg fan lol.

Not quite. Cryptic owns the game but they pay CBS for the IP. So if CBS does not want something in game Cryptic can't add it. It was the same with SOE and LA for SWG. Except LA was much more draconian. To the point of every piece of art had to be approved before it could be implemented.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Wait … I don't see the Borg playable faction mentioned in the STO wiki upcoming content anymore… only the Cardies
    That is because in one of the early DR Podcasts it hinted that the Cardassians would be Expansion Pack 3 - presumably functioning much like LoR as an allied species. That pushes any Liberated Borg Micro-Faction into EP 4 or later - as EP 3 would be early 2016 so EP 4 would be late 2017 at best.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Well, of course that's part of it. Add things to the LTS to make it more appealing. I don't think Neelix alone is enough (I can't see many people wanting to play a Talaxian), but it's a fairly smart move, and they should keep that up. Make it more enticing to purchase a lifetime sub.

i know this forums has been see over run with i want to play as a Talaxian..............
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Why no Ocampans? At this point the lifers are just missing the Ocampans since the other two are Delta Quadrant Voyager Squatter races.

100.......47........22.......17...........3..........finally
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited October 2014

LMFAO

Got to this post and had to stop.

Have you only just joined our little community? Like, in the last 5 minutes?

They "Swore up and down" Feds would not get cloaking devices.
    They "Swore up and down" Feds would not get carriers.

I swear they moved forums, so all the old threads pointing out all of what they have sworn would vanish in to the depths so we would stop bringing them up.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    i know this forums has been see over run with i want to play as a Talaxian..............
    I have no desire to play a Talaxian - though I am certain I will probably make a Talaxian Captain at some point just for the fun of doing it - but I do not see any reason to complain about getting something more then I originally paid for as an extra bonus. Anything extra I can get for free is a good deal, IMO; even if I have no desire to use it. Heck, I do not use half of my current Vet Rewards, but I am glad they are there if I do decide to use them. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I have no desire to play a Talaxian - though I am certain I will probably make a Talaxian Captain at some point just for the fun of doing it - but I do not see any reason to complain about getting something more then I originally paid for as an extra bonus. Anything extra I can get for free is a good deal, IMO; even if I have no desire to use it. Heck, I do not use half of my current Vet Rewards, but I am glad they are there if I do decide to use them. :)

i rather play a Tholian or a Krenim or a Hologram i could go on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    LMFAO

Got to this post and had to stop.

Have you only just joined our little community? Like, in the last 5 minutes?

I was one of the original members who signed up before the game had even begun development by the company prior to Cryptic. But yes, I left your little community for three years when I got sick and tired of Cryptic's BS (Season 5). I only returned this month.

jockey1979 wrote: »
    I swear they moved forums, so all the old threads pointing out all of what they have sworn would vanish in to the depths so we would stop bringing them up.

You know, I believe there's a lot of truth here. They not only moved the forums, they erased the names of who posted what. There was no reason at all to obfuscate that except for a reason like you just mentioned.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Riiight, and that's why we have T5 Connies, and JJTrek ships, and the ability to kitbash custom starships.....

Oh wait we don't cuz Cryptic CAN'T do what they freaking want cuz CBS said "No".

T6 Connie is the only valid point you got there.

My semi literate friend who can not spell , let me explain the rest for you.

You can kitbash ships made from pre-made Star Trek parts. This is to prevent the game being turned into My Little Pony Starships Online, or Star Wars Online, etc.
    This is also a coding decision, since kitbashing is not easy to code in and requires a lot of model parts.

JJ Trek ships are copyright again. JJ Trek rights are held by another company , I think Paramount.

So STO would need Paramount's permission for them. Maybe they would need it for the TOS connie too, not sure on that.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Simpler idea:

They were designed as a Lobi species so the customization and traits existed, making them a resource cheap addition.

Cryptic is likely planning a lifetime sale soon.

I bet you could see Xindi Reptillian added as a Lifetime species perk if enough people showed interest as well.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Simpler idea:

They were designed as a Lobi species so the customization and traits existed, making them a resource cheap addition.

Cryptic is likely planning a lifetime sale soon.

I bet you could see Xindi Reptillian added as a Lifetime species perk if enough people showed interest as well.

Sounds logical enough. Though Cryptic often at times ignored resource cheap additions.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    edited October 2014

well anyone buying LTS now gets the borg player.
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Someone please bring me up to speed please, from reading this thread it sounds like they swapped playable liberated borg for playable talaxians in the LTS? Is this true? where does it say this?

Fill me in people on what's happening!
  • Options
    cecil08cecil08 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I do not believe CBS said no to Borg. What I believe they said no to was no "evil" Factions in the game. This is why Cryptic has always been very clear about saying "Liberated from the Collective," as in Hugh's group, as a possible additional Micro-Faction at some point.

And yes, they have, more then once, mentioned a Liberated Micro-Faction as a possibility at some point in the future.

Finally, anyone who believes Corporations do not change their opinions over time has not paid much attention to the world around them. Corporations are constantly changing directions in the hope of making money. After all, there is a reason why Paramount approved JJ-Trek instead of another Prime Universe movie 6 years ago. :)

Wait, seriously? No evil factions?

While I really have no desire to play an evil faction, it seems like adding an evil faction would be a good idea. What would be the logic for saying "no" to that?

*shakes head*
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I was one of the original members who signed up before the game had even begun development by the company prior to Cryptic. But yes, I left your little community for three years when I got sick and tired of Cryptic's BS (Season 5). I only returned this month.

Welcome back, as you may gather - nothing has really changed.

They do not lie to us as often, but that is because they stopped speaking to us as often - so not really hit with a sense of guilt or remorse over past errors in judgement. Just too afraid to face the music.

(Disclaimer : Some decent staff did stick around, those not connected to the bull - but seem to have faded away now)
    You know, I believe there's a lot of truth here. They not only moved the forums, they erased the names of who posted what. There was no reason at all to obfuscate that except for a reason like you just mentioned.

Well, I cannot complain too much, my infraction history went bye bye ;) (wish I'd kept a screen capture though)
  • Options
    banatinebanatine Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Someone please bring me up to speed please, from reading this thread it sounds like they swapped playable liberated borg for playable talaxians in the LTS? Is this true? where does it say this?

Fill me in people on what's happening!

Don't worry, Liberated Borg aren;t going anywhere, it's just that Talaxians have been added to the LTS.

But it still begs the question... how many lifers, after making countless alts and the never-ending alt grind of Delta Rising, would anyone suddenly want to make a Talaxian toon, of all races, beyond casual trolling? :)

If they were gonna add another race to the LTS i would have expected something a bit moreinteresting... Like the Kobali. Seriously, i'd be ALL OVER the chance to have a kobali toon :)
    Real Temporal Operative: Purchased the Special Temporal Agent pack before it was even officially announced!