test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Own your mistakes

potencethe1stpotencethe1st Member Posts: 257 Arc User
You stole spec points from people who did nothing wrong according to what was being exploited.

You left people who admitted to knowingly "exploiting" as you call it with dozens of spec points.

Own up to it.

Admit you messed and give people back their points. I submitted a ticket about my missing points and hav heard nothing.

Mature people admit when they mistakes. Children deflect, blame, and throw tantrums.

What's it gonna be cryptic?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You stole spec points from people who did nothing wrong according to what was being exploited.

You left people who admitted to knowingly "exploiting" as you call it with dozens of spec points.

Own up to it.

Admit you messed and give people back their points. I submitted a ticket about my missing points and hav heard nothing.

Mature people admit when they mistakes. Children deflect, blame, and throw tantrums.

There is so much about your post that is sig worthy.
    The children blame, throw tantrums and such is almost Shakespearian.

Can you shorten it to something like "Children throw tantrums. Now stop being a baby and do what I want you to do" or something like that.

It will be pure gold then.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    steaensteaen Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Children deflect, blame, and throw tantrums.

Irony: it's like goldy and bronzy, only made of iron.
  • Options
    killer1986chriskiller1986chris Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Got nerfed for your part in it all?
  • Options
    abfabfleetabfabfleet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Own up to it.

There is the door, don't let it hit you on your nacelle.. and fyi the forum community wants your stuffz. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    And cryptic is responsible for you people deridin me for making a civil post.

It's itonic that people like you posters will do just as much to drive people out of the game as cryptic.

This fragmenting of the community by labeling some of us as exploiters while actual exploiters got no punishment is also cryptics fault.

And they aren't gonna own up to that either I suppose.

People who mock others who are unjustly accused and then separate them as "others" to laugh at don't belong on this planet. Here is to hoping you get what's coming.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    And cryptic is responsible for you people deridin me for making a civil post.
    Well, there's your problem.... you thought that was a civil post.

Your OP was flamebait..... and like others said, it comes off like an angry tantrum.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    TBH I have know idea why they took points away, they should have just fixed the "problem" preventing it any further. I wonder how many of those that got points taken away were whales that gave Cryptic the finger and are now spending money elsewhere.

Shame on you for taking advantage of our sh***y coding! No Points for you! said the skill points TRIBBLE.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Are some of you really so naive as to not think some people affected by this did no exploiting and that those who exploited walked free?
    Cause it's been reported in spades.

I mean, if you choose to remain ignorant that's your choice but wow that gotta suck to choose to be a moron.

And saying my op was a tantrum is a massive stretch. Seriously that's actual trolling.
  • Options
    harryhausenharryhausen Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Unfortunately people weren't unjustly accused. People were tried, convicted, and punished...Without access to Cryptics records we players have no way of knowing who was or wasn't involved, or which individuals are being truthful or telling lies.

What, you think Cryptic should've issued a list of account names of the offenders? Of course it was anonymous.

Re: we don't know who's telling the truth, of course we do. Who has a motive to lie?

What would possibly motivate Cryptic to take away spec points from innocent people? How would that benefit them? What would be the point?

On the other hand, I think we can all see the motivation of someone penalized in such a way to lie and feign innocence and claim to be a victim.

If two people are making opposite claims, and one has a motive to lie and the other doesn't, its pretty easy to figure out where the truth lies.

BridgeBOPSTIII.jpg

• Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What, you think Cryptic should've issued a list of account names of the offenders? Of course it was anonymous.

Re: we don't know who's telling the truth, of course we do. Who has a motive to lie?

What would possibly motivate Cryptic to take away spec points from innocent people? How would that benefit them? What would be the point?

On the other hand, I think we can all see the motivation of someone penalized in such a way to lie and feign innocence and claim to be a victim.

If two people are making opposite claims, and one has a motive to lie and the other doesn't, its pretty easy to figure out where the truth lies.

Yeah but ultimately the question should be about the point of penalty. Seriously, what purpose has it really served?
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    gregkanegregkane Member Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Im an exploiter- i exploited the **** outa tau dewa i lost zero points - woop i also exploited the **** outa the dil exploit cple years ago- had abt 14 mil dil account wide (not counting my alt acc) i lost nothing so wooo happy days cryptic just randomly picked levelled and skill tree'd folk ann fisted them in the TRIBBLE
  • Options
    dreadcalldreadcall Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited October 2014

If only the world was so simple! But let's go along with it for now. Let's assume that everyone who had their points taken is guilty. How about the people claiming to have "exploited" 20-30 or more spec points worth of xp and did NOT lose it. What is their motive for lying?

What if no one is lying? What if cryptic's tools are just as buggy as their game? What if there is just unclear communication? Cryptic never confirmed exactly what combination of factors they considered to be the exploit. They didn't even confirm which exactly were the exploitative maps. If you were trying to tell from reports of points being taken away you'd think it was any and all maps with multiple waves of enemies, be it old patrols, new patrols or story missions.

IMO this is a case where, if Cryptic is confident they killed the "exploit" they should come out and exactly detail what was the unallowed behavior. Punishing people without letting them know why exactly they are punished is never good.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Yeah but ultimately the question should be about the point of penalty. Seriously, what purpose has it really served?
    The purpose of rolling them back to where they would have been sans exploit is to discourage people from looking for exploits. There are a lot of different ways to approach games. One is the straightforward way where you learn the game, progress through it basically the way the developers of the game intended, and in the end enjoy the fruits of your labors. Another way is to look for tricks, cheats, exploits, etc. to make various challenges in the game trivial. Both of these approaches have been around pretty much as long as video games have been in the forms of cheat codes, god modes, etc. etc.

With a single player game, its sort of 'no harm no foul', some people like to use cheats, some don't. But if I find a spot on a map where I can hit a boss and he can't hit me in a single player game, it doesn't hurt anyone else's enjoyment of the game for me to essentially skip that fight. In a multiplayer online game, however, me taking advantage of the same kind of exploit can give me an unfair advantage over other players who can't, or for ethical reasons won't, use the same exploit. It can ruin pvp, it can ruin virtual economies, etc. etc. depending on the particular exploit.

Its in Cryptic's interest for all of the players of this game to approach the game's content in that straightforward way that doesn't look for ways to 'get around' the various game systems. One of the ways they encourage that is by making it so that the opposite approach, looking for unforeseen bugs to exploit, isn't rewarded.

BridgeBOPSTIII.jpg

• Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Totally right OP.......oh wait you aren't talking about the players who got caught with their hands in the cookie jar and won't stop whining about it. NM.
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    dreadcall wrote: »
    If only the world was so simple! But let's go along with it for now. Let's assume that everyone who had their points taken is guilty. How about the people claiming to have "exploited" 20-30 or more spec points worth of xp and did NOT lose it. What is their motive for lying?

What if no one is lying? What if cryptic's tools are just as buggy as their game? What if there is just unclear communication? Cryptic never confirmed exactly what combination of factors they considered to be the exploit. They didn't even confirm which exactly were the exploitative maps. If you were trying to tell from reports of points being taken away you'd think it was any and all maps with multiple waves of enemies, be it old patrols, new patrols or story missions.

IMO this is a case where, if Cryptic is confident they killed the "exploit" they should come out and exactly detail what was the unallowed behavior. Punishing people without letting them know why exactly they are punished is never good.

The assumption that the spec points rollback was bugged is a reasonable one given than so many other aspects of the game are bugged.

In addition, if you can't take Forum posters at their word that they were unjustly targeted or were perpetrators that exploited with impunity, then how can you take Cryptic at it's word that the perpetrators were properly identified and punished? Both have a motive to lie and neither one has defended their position on the basis of empirical evidence. Neither the accusations of Cryptic nor the allegations of the player base would hold up in court so we're back to square 1. Cryptic overreacted and should admit their rollback was bugged since it hasn't proven otherwise. Additionally it should indemnify people who had their skill points taken away that didn't exploit anything.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014

The guilty... on both sides. Real cheaters would have a motive to lie, as well as Cryptic for not having to admit they screwed up.

People were going much faster than projected. The longer they are in-game, the more they are likely to spend. They simply paniced at the notion of seeing people accomplish in several days, what they thought would surely take several months.

Oh, can we?! in fact, quite the opposite: players seeking restitution have no real reason to lie at all, as Cryptic has all them mighty metrics/logs, remember? Like, it would be idiotic for me to tell them I wasn't grinding in Tau Dewa, if in fact I was.

Only if you blind yourself to seeing just the motives of one side.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Own up to it.

you made it alright then killed it by yourself by turning insulting. theres nothing to see in this thread.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    patrickngo wrote: »
    So, you're of the the "Burn a random village to cow the populace" theory of law enforcement?

You're assuming what you want to prove. The devs are saying that the punishment wasn't random. The devs are saying that the punishment was issued to the 250 worst offenders (a tiny portion of the player base). You are saying that the devs punished 250 random people. The idea that the devs would punish the 250 worst offenders makes sense to me. The idea that they would punish 250 random customers makes no sense to me. So your explanation doesn't pass the smell test.

As for not punishing every exploiter or every exploit, the fact that not everyone who breaks the speed limit gets a ticket every single time they break it doesn't make speeding tickets invalid. It doesn't mean that speeding tickets don't discourage speeding. It certainly doesn't encourage speeding by adding the element of chance.

BridgeBOPSTIII.jpg

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You're assuming what you want to prove. The devs are saying that the punishment wasn't random. The devs are saying that the punishment was issued to the 250 worst offenders (a tiny portion of the player base). You are saying that the devs punished 250 random people. The idea that the devs would punish the 250 worst offenders makes sense to me. The idea that they would punish 250 random customers makes no sense to me. So your explanation doesn't pass the smell test.

As for not punishing every exploiter or every exploit, the fact that not everyone who breaks the speed limit gets a ticket every single time they break it doesn't make speeding tickets invalid. It doesn't mean that speeding tickets don't discourage speeding. It certainly doesn't encourage speeding by adding the element of chance.

if ever there was a conflicting hypocritical response, you got it there. you got lucky if you did exploit and only had some spec points revoked, point is that it could of been a lot worse and bragging about it is never a good idea intention or completely accidental doesnt matter, but thats old news and not worth a debate as steven made his call.

you should respect laws and regulations, doesnt matter what you think, one careless action could cause a lifetime of pain for someone else because you mowed a child down in your car for speeding and in thinking you can get away with silly actions. but hey ho, you think its a grand idea, thats your choice.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I mean, if you choose to remain ignorant that's your choice but wow that gotta suck to choose to be a moron.

Of COURSE they will remain ignorant. Until, sometime in the future something happens to their account.
    AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The devs are saying that the punishment wasn't random. The devs are saying that the punishment was issued to the 250 worst offenders (a tiny portion of the player base). You are saying that the devs punished 250 random people. The idea that the devs would punish the 250 worst offenders makes sense to me. The idea that they would punish 250 random customers makes no sense to me. So your explanation doesn't pass the smell test.

Yeah, except that nobody is saying Cryptic simply picked 250 random people: that part is all you, setting up a convenient, simplified straw-man to try and win your argument.

What people ARE saying, though, is that when they "zeroed in on the players who were gaining levels at unreasonable rates," apparently they left clear exploiters untouched, and punished others who were nowhere near Tau Dewa. So, the application of punishment (within the group of the infamous 250) seems to have been either arbitrary, or inconsistently.

There is also this,

"(..) but it was really a very small number of players who decided to take advantage of the bugs in excess."

I did what now?! I wasn't even in Tau Dewa. I was playing the 'Shutdown' mission, at DS9, cuz someone mentioned it on the forums, and it appeared convenient, cuz waves kept spawing. And no, man-friend, that is not an exploit: if the mission only came with, say, 5 waves, I would have simply replayed the storyline mission over and over again. Same difference.

I did, by no stretch of the imagination, 'decide to take advantage' of anything. But apparently I was supposed to know enemies there paying out 5x as much XP, for an Elite mission with foes 5x as hard to kill, was an evil exploit. TRIBBLE that!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    oneratsonerats Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You may not be able to tell who's guilty or innocent. You may believe everyone to be guilty. I know better, because I know what I did and did not do. And I know what result I got from it. Elite story missions and STF runs led to a reduction from 18 points to 10. Yeah, I exploited the hell out of them story missions by doing them each one time.. and damn, those cooldowns on all my STF's must be at least 17x shorter than everyone else's.

Several dozen hours worth of work were stolen from me, so I have every right to be somewhat livid about it. Shame on me for simply playing the game.
  • Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lowy1 wrote: »
    TBH I have know idea why they took points away, they should have just fixed the "problem" preventing it any further. I wonder how many of those that got points taken away were whales that gave Cryptic the finger and are now spending money elsewhere.

Shame on you for taking advantage of our sh***y coding! No Points for you! said the skill points TRIBBLE.

Especially if it would have taken just a few minutes of testing to figure out in QA... :rolleyes:
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    cecil08cecil08 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    The assumption that the spec points rollback was bugged is a reasonable one given than so many other aspects of the game are bugged.

In addition, if you can't take Forum posters at their word that they were unjustly targeted or were perpetrators that exploited with impunity, then how can you take Cryptic at it's word that the perpetrators were properly identified and punished? Both have a motive to lie and neither one has defended their position on the basis of empirical evidence. Neither the accusations of Cryptic nor the allegations of the player base would hold up in court so we're back to square 1. Cryptic overreacted and should admit their rollback was bugged since it hasn't proven otherwise. Additionally it should indemnify people who had their skill points taken away that didn't exploit anything.

This is funny. Of course I would be MUCH more inclined to take Cryptic at their word than some random forum poster who I've never met before.

That argument just doesn't make any sense.
    meimeitoo wrote:
    I did what now?! I wasn't even in Tau Dewa. I was playing the 'Shutdown' mission, at DS9, cuz someone mentioned it on the forums, and it appeared convenient, cuz waves kept spawing. And no, man-friend, that is not an exploit: if the mission only came with, say, 5 waves, I would have simply replayed the storyline mission over and over again. Same difference.

They never said that Tau Dewa was the only exploited map. They never said what maps were exploited. Perhaps "Shutdown" was an exploitable map. Did you not consider that?

Sorry but I have to agree with harryhausen. The people who got burned tend to be the ones that have the most to gain by lying. I fail to see what Cryptic would even be lying about. They already admitted that it was their bug and that only 250 accounts got hit. I don't see what they would need to lie about on this issue.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Own up to it.

I don't know, I feel the outcries over lost Specialization Points also a bit like deflecting blame and throwing tantrums. People that abused the system systematically just need to accept that sometimes it doesn't work out and that they are at fault, too.

Of course, if people that actually didn't benefit from the exploit lost spec points, yeah, they certainly should file support tickets.

But if that has happened, Cryptic still needs to first verify for themselves that it has happened and to whom. They won't talk about that beforehand.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lowy1 wrote: »

On their bottom line, 250 accounts should have no real effect, even if they had advanced 17 times faster and started getting lots of Dilithium.

So it feels a bit petty, yes, but if people think they can exploit consequence free, they may do so the next time, too, and what if that time, tracing back the exploiters is more difficult? Now they establish a precedent - if we find out, we will not just necessarily close the loop hole, we may take away whatever you got from the exploit.

There have been other exploits in this game. In PvP, a "popular" exploit was the "Voldemort" exploit where you could equip more than one shield in effect. Such exploits are not unfair against the "system" and break the developer's intention on gameplay, they are unfair towards other players.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    First I want to thank the rational posters who can see logic.

I lost 2 points. I had 13.

In no way could that even be considered cheating when others had far more and were rolled back for less. I hardly even played after the weekend before the patch and after I hit 60.

The time they nailed me for was when I was leveling- I did a tau dewa sector patrol (didn't even use japori) at level 56.

After 60 I ran stfs. They took points I earned. Period.

The fact that some of you refuse to acknowledge that cryptic screwed up is enough to drive me away anyways.

I'm a long time player. I've spent hundreds of dollars on the game. I wouldn't do anything to jeapardize my account such as cheating. That makes no sense.

But the communities half uproar and half sychophants reaction is enough to turn me off the game completely. I wish I could get all the money back I spent in the last 2 weeks but I'll chalk up to lesson learned and never touch another cryptic product.

Being unjustly accused of being a tiny minority yet I only had 13 specialization points - tell me how 13 points total a week and half after the patch was "excessive" considering I can earn them at at one per hour right now? This was a petty move.

It's not the points, it's the principle of the matter. Integrity; something many of you clearly lack.

Thanks for taking my money then ****ting on me. I'll my best to return the favor.
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    First I want to thank the rational posters who can see logic.

I lost 2 points. I had 13.

In no way could that even be considered cheating when others had far more and were rolled back for less. I hardly even played after the weekend before the patch and after I hit 60.

The time they nailed me for was when I was leveling- I did a tau dewa sector patrol (didn't even use japori) at level 56.

After 60 I ran stfs. They took points I earned. Period.

The fact that some of you refuse to acknowledge that cryptic screwed up is enough to drive me away anyways.

I'm a long time player. I've spent hundreds of dollars on the game. I wouldn't do anything to jeapardize my account such as cheating. That makes no sense.

But the communities half uproar and half sychophants reaction is enough to turn me off the game completely. I wish I could get all the money back I spent in the last 2 weeks but I'll chalk up to lesson learned and never touch another cryptic product.

Being unjustly accused of being a tiny minority yet I only had 13 specialization points - tell me how 13 points total a week and half after the patch was "excessive" considering I can earn them at at one per hour right now? This was a petty move.

It's not the points, it's the principle of the matter. Integrity; something many of you clearly lack.

Thanks for taking my money then ****ting on me. I'll my best to return the favor.

Can i haz your stuff :)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Cryptic took two of my 13 points at the time.

3 levels over 60 was apparently "excessive".

Considering I can earn a level per hour solo in delta quad right now? This was just petty.

They accused me of being a cheater and exploiter but give me no way to defend myself other than to submit a ticket that's still unanswered?

That's terrible service. My money is goin elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.