test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers?

2»

Comments

• Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Except I happen to agree with him. All those bugs you point out were usually fixed by the devs. The bugs in the Exploration missions couldn't be fixed because of the engine the game used to generate them. The very thing creating the exploration missions was broken. Moreso than anything else in the game (other than the protoborg pre-S4, that is).

You happen to agree with him. I don't. Here after your reply, 1 person agreed with you, 2 people agreed with me. So what's that suposed to mean?
    All I'm saying is one should't climb on a soapbox and cite their own opinions as facts.

BTW, I'm not sure if we're not playing the same game here or you're just incredibly lucky, but all those issues I mentioned are far from being fixed by the devs., they're still ongoing.
    You may have thought they were fun, but many in this game thought the exploration missions were broken, as was expressed on these forums much of the time.

Missing one very important point here - many people did complaing about the quality of the missions - me being one of them, however judging by the players' reactions when the decison to completely remove them was announced - all those people asked for a fix/improvement of them or adding another better system in place. Not complete removal without substitute.
    Pretending that the complete removal of exploration clusters in the best thing that could've happened to the game ever since D'Angelo was removed from the EP position in 2012 is only serving to support an abysimal decison, justified by lies and made because of corporate incompetence and lazyness.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Depends, can you provide corroborating evidence that these bugs still exist?

Yes I can and I've been reporting those whenever I encounter them again with another char. Kahless knows how many times I've reported them over and over, just like I've been ocassionally reporting for 2 years that missing Targ Pet from the C-Store that dissapeared for me the winter 2012. Guess what? I still can't buy a pet Targ from the C-Store.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    You happen to agree with him. I don't. Here after your reply, 1 person agreed with you, 2 people agreed with me. So what's that suposed to mean?
    All I'm saying is one should't climb on a soapbox and cite their own opinions as facts.

BTW, I'm not sure if we're not playing the same game here or you're just incredibly lucky, but all those issues I mentioned are far from being fixed by the devs., they're still ongoing.
    So you say.... But I've NOT seen them and I've been to those places you claim are bugged. got documentation?
    Missing one very important point here - many people did complaing about the quality of the missions - me being one of them, however judging by the players' reactions when the decison to completely remove them was announced - all those people asked for a fix/improvement of them or adding another better system in place. Not complete removal without substitute.
    Pretending that the complete removal of exploration clusters in the best thing that could've happened to the game ever since D'Angelo was removed from the EP position in 2012 is only serving to support an abysimal decison, justified by lies and made because of corporate incompetence and lazyness.
    You don't really understand how they worked did you?

Let's look at some actual documentation....

Rho-Horologii-044-Xi is the name of the actual mission. If you flew around enough you could actually find that mission more than once. And every time you did it was exactly the same. Same coral forest, same muddy water, same mud colored hills, some "scan 5 rocks" objective. Aside from the landscape being pretty, there was no reason to ever go there.

If one of the mission was glitched, then the devs had to find that specific mission and fix it.

Personally I am not a fan of their removal either. I made that pic(among others) as a way of documenting some of them exploration cluster base maps that I thought would be beneficial to have as foundry assets.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    agentkovalagentkoval Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    doesnt matter what you call it, if the mods see it differently...

now as for the rest, meh. another entitlement claim.

So did you get to ~5500 post by contributing this kind of insightful comment into the discussions?

Notice how I have chosen a topic, provided a supportive argument and gave a conclusion? That is called communication and is how discussions develop.

There is nothing entitled about my position other than the sense of entitlement I have over the amount of my time I spend in the game, which is now severely declining and has been since season 9. There are a litany of other games that I am interested in playing and yes, while I may still log in once and a while, I am not going to be spending the same long hours I did before. That's it. Nothing else to it. I feel something is broken and has been broken and is not being fixed. It is only natural to spend time doing something meaningful.

That being said, the next meaningful things in my future probably wont have anything to do with me replying to any quote you make of this :D
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm a huge fan of the removal of exploration clusters. The single best thing to happen to the STO in terms of improving my QoL. Don't have to go through 2 loading screens to grab DOffing assignments anymore.

I do hate that the refresh on those clusters are so much slower now, though.
  • Options
    cheesebasketcheesebasket Member Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The whole "having to find the needle in the space haystack" can stay gone, you could've still had these missions by just pulling up to the spot and running an exploration mission.

With a simple "explore" button, you'd select it and be sent on to x map with x objective
    They could've streamlined it where they tested the missions they wanted to make sure they worked, linked everything together, and been done with it.

Instead they removed it entirely when they could've saved it...
    And in doing so,'took away from STO what made the franchise truly unique.

Genuine exploration because you never knew what you were in for.
    The hamster will RULE ALLL....

Mwahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    agentkoval wrote: »
    Notice how I have chosen a topic, provided a supportive argument and gave a conclusion? That is called communication and is how discussions develop.
    However you started from a flawed premise and things went downhill from there. This game has never had true exploration. Yet you rambled on about how there's nothing to explore.

Have you looked at the entire Kobali Prime ground map?

There's plenty of places to see in the Delta Quadrant. And they're less boring than exploration clusters.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    So you say.... But I've NOT seen them and I've been to those places you claim are bugged. got documentation?

Like I said, documentation was and is being sent where it matters. I'm not going out of my way to prove something to some random guy on the forum. Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're not that important. Wheather you chose to believe it or not is completely up to you and quite frankly - I don't really care either way.
    You don't really understand how they worked did you?

Apart from your smug tone and superiority complex that obviously clouds your judgement, I'm yet to see where in my reply did I indicate that I'm not aware how they worked.
    darkjeff wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of the removal of exploration clusters. The single best thing to happen to the STO in terms of improving my QoL. Don't have to go through 2 loading screens to grab DOffing assignments anymore.

I do hate that the refresh on those clusters are so much slower now, though.

So you're completely over the moon that people lost content they liked and enjoyed doing, because it saves your royal lazyness 10 seconds. You're a real work of art ain't you? *golfclap*
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Anyone who went to an exploration cluster to do its mission missed the entire frakking point.

And anyway, if it did bug up you just left and tried a different one.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Apart from your smug tone and superiority complex that obviously clouds your judgement, I'm yet to see where in my reply did I indicate that I'm not aware how they worked.
    well... since you want to know.... you said:
    all those people asked for a fix/improvement of them or adding another better system in place. Not complete removal without substitute.
    While it is true that players wanted that, expecting the company to deliver it is silly. And I know you DID think that request was reasonable since you called Cryptic lazy for not doing it.

Why is it unreasonable? There were thousands of exploration cluster missions. "proper" bug fixing required the devs to go over them individually. An unrealistically short time schedule would still put it at over 100 hours of work(more likely several hundred).... for content that was never anything more than a minor sideshow.

Improving the missions? well.... that would pretty much require the devs to completely recreate them in a "better" form since manually improving them would probably take thousands of hours of work. And even then, they'd be as repetitive as the DR system patrols are. Why? Because they'd still be generated by a script and thus have limited array of missions outlines. Even then.... it'd probably take hundreds of hours.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    to my knowledge i thought they where adding in more improved exploration content?? remember i mentioned the diplomacy/first contact missions, then they added new romulus...it was a new world for us to explore with great detail i praised em for a long time after that...it looked to me our requests where beginning to be answered, i pictrured all of the planets where going to have their own exploring dailys and missions for us...but no, they tossed dinos with lasers at us, another warzone was ok, it was relevant for tier advancement but we need more things like nimbus and new romulus, that planet by ds9 was a nice addition to the game too. they should beging making all of our map planets explorable and have random dailys, givng u a choice to complete a mission on each planet or even all of em on the same planet for the old reward of 1044 dil, maybe even some marks. it would be like , idk...playing a star trek game...heh

another idea i have is for ships, what if they gave us a ship that leveled up with us from the beginning, after u level up to a teir 2 ship u can buy/earn a hero ship...be it any from the franchise u want only u get to decide where the console slots and BoFF powers get used as u acquire em. that way u can play the adventure in the ship u want from the beginning and have many adventures in it...yes i woul most likely use the galaxy myself (picard fan)

they should also sell an unlock that would allow u to have a ships interior like they where in the shows too, and have an option to make the crew outfits to match the interior...voyager would have colored shoulders, defiant would have grey shoulders, tng would have the tng outfit....and maybe they will get around to fixing my TOS bridge so they wear the TOS uniforms like they where supposed to hint hint!!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    As nice as all that sounds Catstar... It would be a programmer's true idea of absolute hell..
    New maps from scratch, modifying the ship's boff layout (maybe useing a variant of the kit module system would work) redoing old bridges; the ship would have to suck to not derail the current FTP model....

I can't see cryptic getting enough of a return on it to even bother entertaining it.

Mwahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What everyone seems to be ignoring is that the First Contact missions were completely broken for months before Cryptic pulled exploration.

And, the star cluster missions were 'like Trek'? What exploration missions were you playing? Most of them were either 'kill x enemies from y race' or 'scan x anomalies'. They were either boring or exactly what people criticised Cryptic for for months; 'kill x enemies' missions.I, for one, am not particularly disappointed they're gone. And the new crafting system more than makes up for it in my opinion.

They were the same ones available to all. It seems like many on these forums, you have
    the notion that you, as an idividual, knows whats best for all. If you found them worthless, fine,
    ignore them. But why would the retention of them for others be a problem? For what its worth, I
    would try to achieve whatever objective without killing. As an excersise, I found it quite
    challenging. Just me, but I truly miss them. :(

BCW.
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    They were the same ones available to all. It seems like many on these forums, you have
    the notion that you, as an idividual, knows whats best for all. If you found them worthless, fine,
    ignore them. But why would the retention of them for others be a problem? For what its worth, I
    would try to achieve whatever objective without killing. As an excersise, I found it quite
    challenging. Just me, but I truly miss them. :(

BCW.

I think you missed the part where, at the end of my post, I said 'in my opinion'. ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    As nice as all that sounds Catstar... It would be a programmer's true idea of absolute hell..
    New maps from scratch, modifying the ship's boff layout (maybe useing a variant of the kit module system would work) redoing old bridges; the ship would have to suck to not derail the current FTP model....

I can't see cryptic getting enough of a return on it to even bother entertaining it.
    Yeah this is why they didn't try to fix the old exploration missions. It was too much work for very little return.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So you're completely over the moon that people lost content they liked and enjoyed doing, because it saves your royal lazyness 10 seconds. You're a real work of art ain't you? *golfclap*

No.

I'm happy they removed the two loading screens per cluster visit. So sorry not all of us have SSDs with speedy connections. :rolleyes:

The removal of the crappy content is irrelevant, and separate - they could just have easily put a "launch crappy pseudo-random mission" button alongside the current DOffing buttons, and it wouldn't affect me one iota.

Since I finished all the grinding I was willing to do for those accolades, I am apathetic about their existence or non-existence.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    i have an idea:

the foundry has an option to submit your finished story for spotlight review...now, what if they added in an exploration submission, if we could get our authors to make and submit a 15 to 30 min exploration mission then cryptic could then add random dailys using those missions. this would be player participation for adding content, rewarded of coarse...im sure youll think of something to reward em with since they are helping u to expand the game in a better direction. Heres how it would work, approved missions are added to the randomly generated dailys like the old sector missions...u travel to the location indicated and complete the mission, then collect the reward.

what to put in em, well think of the shows, i dont mean lets go blow up this enemy and that enemy , we already have more then our share of kill em all! heres an example :

u start off traveling to meet someone for some sort of technical issues that came up near a space station, u sort out the problems and have your boffs scanning and testing devices as u try to figure out what could be causing the malfunctions, as u investigate further you officers discover a pattern in the tricorder readings, they display in a set pattern for a moment then cycle to a new set pattern and repeat. you notify your ship to do an intense scan of the area for this pattern since the ships scanners are better, but they cant find anything. suddenly the tricoder begins to whine and the display glitches then it stops. you leave a team to continue to investigate and head back to the ships lab to investigate further the tricorder only to find nothing out of the ordinary, nor any traces of its previous malfunction. moments later your team contacts you with news of the tricorder the remaining away team is using begins to act up in the same way, u teleport down to examine to while instructing your chief eng to find a way to scan why this is happeneing. time passes and your team takes a moment to be refeshed by the stations staff, when your eng is finished they attach the tricorder to the new device and begin to scan the exact frequency the signal came from. the signal begins to cause static in the com badges, realising some sort of progress your eng suggests turning off all but one combadge, once this is done he modifies and adjusts until the universal translator picks up a broken language offering a greeting. there is discussion back and forth as they deduce a possible lifeform or lifeforms, and boost the devices power in the stations relay...the signal turns out to be an automated signal from an unknown dimension that seems to be registering between what we would know as a 1 and 2 dimensional pocket...u make a form a greeting the best u can, but no answer. you try again and the automated signal plays once more. your science offer then finds the signal is time enduced, both the eng and he has a discussion and determines the signal was sent through some sort of beacon between dimensions long ago and seems to be echoing from this very area. you assign a science team to aid the eng staff and end your shift to rest, you are waken with news of a discovery by your sci officer. they discover the exact translation of the full message, telling them of the exact coordinates this species is located, your eng suggests modifying the stations machinery which seemed to have been recently installed. once deactivated and tested, a purple haze about the size of a puff of cigarette smoke rizes for a moment and vanishes, from the modifies combadge a thank you is issued. you captains log indicates the discovery and rescue of a trapped being, possibly beings.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    another idea for a plot could be an ancient discovery that leads to a lost colony...being close to the romulan neutral zone u gain attention from them and 2 warbirds decloak after a tense standoff, u talk the rom capt into listening to u, you decided to share information in a gesture of cooperation to find out what this civilization is, after aid from your ships consular they agree to it and you send down an unarmed away team to rendezvous with a romulan one, during this time you invite the rom capt to dine, the manners he portrays are rude and he shows he is only interested in the archaeology aspect of their time together. the team sends up more info and u both discover the remains are that of vulcans and romulans. the devices they have around them no longer function and look out of date. from here you can ether work out (using diplomacy) an agreement for a joint archaeological project between the romulans and fed or it could turn into an incident, possibly even causing the destruction of valuable history.

edit: those who know me, know i enjoy telling storys, this game deserves to be given a traditional star trek series again...if need be i can help write em
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    ... Methinks the thread is dead Jim

Mwahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ... Methinks the thread is dead Jim

lolz......
    Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    It'd been dead for most of a day, but try to keep it up, Smirk will be in this neck of the forums sometime tommorow and may give it a glance over.

Just giveing the heads up :3

Mwahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    It'd been dead for most of a day, but try to keep it up, Smirk will be in this neck of the forums sometime tommorow and may give it a glance over.

Just giveing the heads up :3

meh, i gave it a shot. i dont think smirk would consider anything i came up with, even if it came from roddenberry himself. ive been labeled evil ever since i began to resist mandatory arc. im still holding onto the hope that it will be like the old sell when it first launched....all factions, exploring adventures and to get to live the star trek experience like never before...we came close, but the ball got dropped. i think like any investment, they wanna move too fast, and if u know your business fast investments give good at first then end up dying off, slow and long term investments pay off the best in the long run and are more stable....young people see that fast buck and grab for it like tossing a plate to a group of dogs, no foresight. attacking customers didnt help ether but u can recover from that too if u have a good PR person, yes businesses make mistakes...taking it out on the customer proved to cost them, but lesson learned for the next time.

its past us now, time to rebuild. but to do this u will need to give the game life to bring life back into it. a money grab with a recognizable or flashy label will only last so long, this is why u have to keep coming up with stuff so often. give us something that will allow us to merge into like the foundry, only like the idea i had...take submitted exploring missions to rebuild the daily random quests, this will help to bring people back not only to play but to get involved...use their creativity and thought, taking time to enjoy a trek episode fan created. why is this important? because it brings us back into the family, the trek theme that made the name so great and leaves it open to more and yes faster possibilities for expanded content with minimal cost. plus u can also give bonuses earning and legacy gear options for subscribers to earn and buy. so u see, the fast dollar looks good now but fades just as fast, plan ahead and know that just because i fight u on one thing doesnt mean im against it all, im a trek fan and im still here with motivation to help keep the game alive and trek based if you still willing to give me space and consider my reasoning!