test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers?

agentkovalagentkoval Member Posts: 22 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Ten Forward
There used to be a time when I could come on here and read some pretty positive things about the game, learn a few cool things I didn't know about, and maybe even pick up some decent builds; now it seems like everyone is just bashing Cryptic...

and the totally should.

People have every reason to be mad about the way things are turning out. I took my leave of absence after the monstrosity called season 9 came out and I got an email from Cryptic saying that DR is coming out where we could actually explore the Delta Quadrant. That didn't happen...

More than half the missions were patrol missions and space fighting supper battles. We had the chance to come out into the Delta Quadrant and actually EXPLORE, to meet some new aliens and actually engage in some original thinking.

However what we received was some ridiculous attempt to string along random factions and elements from the series which led to one super anti-climactic :confused: ....(kinda like this sentence, no conclusion).

Now I am not going to even go into the plethora of broken mechanics in the game, you can read the dozens of other threads about those, we all know cryptic wont.

This is NOT an "I quit" thread, this is an "I am going to take an extended break until I hear some positive news from cryptic, and in the mean time hope that this game dies and allows room for another company to come in and fill the demand for a successful game" thread.
Post edited by agentkoval on

Comments

• Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Can I haz ur-

I mean, can I hold on to your stuffz for you?
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Technically the old exploring did have meeting new people, and they did upgrade the first contacts so u did have to work out learning about the people and how to answer for a better meeting outcome...thats gone now. i cant figure why that would embarrass em, thats what trek is...exploring and diplomacy, fighting came 2nd
  • Options
    catjarrettcatjarrett Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The DR content is full of compromising your Starfleet values, as well. There were many occasions where after an "ally" did something Janeway would have said, "We're not working with you, and damn the consequences."

Not so any longer. Now you work with the shady and often outright murderous folks. You don't have a choice.

It's very dark.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    catjarrett wrote: »
    The DR content is full of compromising your Starfleet values, as well. There were many occasions where after an "ally" did something Janeway would have said, "We're not working with you, and damn the consequences."

Not so any longer. Now you work with the shady and often outright murderous folks. You don't have a choice.

It's very dark.

its PWE's vision of Trek...i rest my case
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    catstarsto wrote: »
    its DS9's vision of Trek...i rest my case

ftfy

DS9 had Starfleet winning a war with a bio-weapon
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I like to mess with your quotes

Diabolical!
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Dogs rule and cats drool

I know right:P
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I know right:P

shocked cat is shocked
  • Options
    cheesebasketcheesebasket Member Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Doesn't this sum it up for you
    There was no excuse to remove exploration missions, heck, they could've made it easier, just pull up to the cluster and start the mission...

T.T I always wanted to do a first contact mission, but I was only rank 2 when they pulled them...
    The hamster will RULE ALLL....

Mwahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    He is right, we are lacking exploration.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • Options
    bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The removal of the "Exploration Clusters" was one of the few things that really had a negative
    effect on my gaming in STO. I know many said "good riddance", as they were sometimes
    "buggy", and not very challenging for Lvl (20)+ players. But for me, they had the most "Trek"
    feel of the existing content, (outside the "Foundry") in the game. It was an area where you could
    take low level ships and gear, and have a blast.

Hope they do revisit this element of the game as they have eluded to in the past.

BCW. :)
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Whats that OP? I couldn't hear you...I'm washing blood off my hands in the sink. So much blood...I scrub, and scrub but it never comes off....Does it? Never clean Never clean....
  • Options
    grace58grace58 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's the "join the Federation. Explore the galaxy, meet new civilizations... and kill them." Although I'm on leave from playing this game I have noticed that the game play has become a lot more "battle and grind"since I started playing two years ago. I love the social and role playing part of the game, but it's easily berried underneath mountains of tech and items that all look and feel the same, and a crayola box of lasers to distract you... I still love the rainbow boat build ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    Whats that OP? I couldn't hear you...I'm washing blood off my hands in the sink. So much blood...I scrub, and scrub but it never comes off....Does it? Never clean Never clean....

=O.O=
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Here's another thread I'm surprised isn't closed...

Still, it should've been a no brainer to keep exploration in. One of the reasons it wasn't popular before was because you had to search forever to find the unknown system button

And then half the time you'd pass it and then spend time going back in reverse to try and find it
    Then there was that one time when I ran one and had to bail because half the floor was gone...
    But the enemies DID spawn and walk on the invisible floor... 50 meters above me.

Mwahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    agentkoval wrote: »
    There used to be a time when I could come on here and read some pretty positive things about the game, learn a few cool things I didn't know about, and maybe even pick up some decent builds; now it seems like everyone is just bashing Cryptic...

and the totally should.

People have every reason to be mad about the way things are turning out. I took my leave of absence after the monstrosity called season 9 came out and I got an email from Cryptic saying that DR is coming out where we could actually explore the Delta Quadrant. That didn't happen...

More than half the missions were patrol missions and space fighting supper battles. We had the chance to come out into the Delta Quadrant and actually EXPLORE, to meet some new aliens and actually engage in some original thinking.

However what we received was some ridiculous attempt to string along random factions and elements from the series which led to one super anti-climactic :confused: ....(kinda like this sentence, no conclusion).

Now I am not going to even go into the plethora of broken mechanics in the game, you can read the dozens of other threads about those, we all know cryptic wont.

This is NOT an "I quit" thread, this is an "I am going to take an extended break until I hear some positive news from cryptic, and in the mean time hope that this game dies and allows room for another company to come in and fill the demand for a successful game" thread.

doesnt matter what you call it, if the mods see it differently...

now as for the rest, meh. another entitlement claim.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Technically the old exploring did have meeting new people, and they did upgrade the first contacts so u did have to work out learning about the people and how to answer for a better meeting outcome...thats gone now. i cant figure why that would embarrass em, thats what trek is...exploring and diplomacy, fighting came 2nd

If anything from the clusters deserves to be restored, it's those First Contact missions.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If anything from the clusters deserves to be restored, it's those First Contact missions.

I agree. Maybe we should actually create focused exactly on that?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I agree to a certain extent, but wasn't it Voyager itself that seemed to have almost everyone in the DQ shooting at them in most episodes?

Yes but didn't all the other ST spinoffs not have aliens shooting at them in most episodes?
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm afraid the current management of STO completely lacks any vision in terms of broadening the game, expanding with new types of experiences and offering more diverse gameplay. The D'Angleo/Rivera duo at the helm is absolutely the worst tag-team to lead STO IMHO and this latest expansion, but more importantly the last year for the most part is a clear proof for this.

I still like the game, I'm sayng this because I do and it matters to me. I know it has become a cliche expression around here, but they're really sucking the fun and spirit out of the game. :(
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Does anyone remember when we used to have "exploration" missions...

...in which our away teams would cluster around a single spot, refusing to move, while whatever we were looking for would be hidden under the landscape, forever out of reach?

...that had more bugs in each mission that the entirety of the release of LoR?

...that most of the game's population tried once or twice, then promptly ignored because it didn't even begin to be worth the hassle?

Put up the rose-colored glasses, folks. Those things used to suck.

And aside from Gene's late-adopted Hollywood-liberal stance that informed the first couple of seasons of TNG, Star Trek was never all that peaceful. When Jim Kirk found out about the Romulan cloaking device, he didn't try to talk Mark Lenard's nameless Commander into a peaceful resolution, he shot at them until they had to either give up or self-destruct. Most of DS9 revolved around wars in the Bajor/Cardassia area. Much of the second season of ENT, and almost all of the third, was about the conflict with the Xindi, and the Temporal Cold War.

Oh, and as to what someone said upthread about Janeway "refusing to work with" some of the villainous creatures? You mean like the way she stood up and refused to assist the Borg under any circumstances? Except that she didn't. The concept is called realpolitik - the idea that sometimes you deal with the situation you have, rather than the ideal situation. Since there doesn't seem to be a lot of the galaxy left unexplored, until we start visiting satellite galaxies we're going to be dealing with a lot of realpolitik.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Yea, but buggy was better than nothing, and if we'd discovered everything in yon clusterz... It would have become something lol (maybe by finishing the doff chain...where you could have a colony to deal with at your leisure)
    Believe me, they aren't rose tinted, and they'd need a serious overhaul ( did a map once...'floor wasn't there but the enemies were somehow still walking on it...50 meters over my toons head.

Exploration is a staple of the franchise, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
    They have to be there to fill the bill and get the feel, otherwise it's copy pasta of most any sci-fi space mmo with a Star-Trek skin pack and a greedy company behind it
    Yes, even BGO had a ground component to it

Mwahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What everyone seems to be ignoring is that the First Contact missions were completely broken for months before Cryptic pulled exploration.

And, the star cluster missions were 'like Trek'? What exploration missions were you playing? Most of them were either 'kill x enemies from y race' or 'scan x anomalies'. They were either boring or exactly what people criticised Cryptic for for months; 'kill x enemies' missions.

I, for one, am not particularly disappointed they're gone. And the new crafting system more than makes up for it in my opinion.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jonsills wrote: »

...in which our away teams would cluster around a single spot, refusing to move, while whatever we were looking for would be hidden under the landscape, forever out of reach?

Boffs on bridges sit under chairs and under the floor, NPC's fall through holes on Qo'noS and Klingon Academy, there's a black hole in NRC, maps are missing entire parts of them like floors, Boff get stuck on missions, there's a talking targ in KA, the AI is nuts and Boffs get completely stucked into nothing on Nimbus III......need I go on?

Delta Rising has more bugs than the entirety of the game before it, times 10. By that standard we should go ahead and delete Delta Rising, right?
    ...that most of the game's population tried once or twice, then promptly ignored because it didn't even begin to be worth the hassle?

Can you provide any actual proof about this? No? As I suspected then, empty words.

They used to suck to you. Not to me, I liked them. They sucked in your opinion, which I and many others don't share. Pointing out the word "suck" in your sentence doesn't change the fact that it's nothing more than one man's opinion.

Once again, just empty words jonsills. Move along, nothing to see here.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Boffs on bridges sit under chairs and under the floor, NPC's fall through holes on Qo'noS and Klingon Academy, there's a black hole in NRC, maps are missing entire parts of them like floors, Boff get stuck on missions, there's a talking targ in KA, the AI is nuts and Boffs get completely stucked into nothing on Nimbus III......need I go on?

Delta Rising has more bugs than the entirety of the game before it, times 10. By that standard we should go ahead and delete Delta Rising, right?

Can you provide any actual proof about this? No? As I suspected then, empty words.

They used to suck to you. Not to me, I liked them. They sucked in your opinion, which I and many others don't share. Pointing out the word "suck" in your sentence doesn't change the fact that it's nothing more than one man's opinion.

Once again, just empty words jonsills. Move along, nothing to see here.

Except I happen to agree with him. All those bugs you point out were usually fixed by the devs. The bugs in the Exploration missions couldn't be fixed because of the engine the game used to generate them. The very thing creating the exploration missions was broken. Moreso than anything else in the game (other than the protoborg pre-S4, that is).

You may have thought they were fun, but many in this game thought the exploration missions were broken, as was expressed on these forums much of the time.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's inane to pretend that anyone missed the old exploration clusters because of "exploration". There was no exploration there, it was a random crappy mission generator that would occasionally involve the Borg Third Dynasty.
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited October 2014

And aside from Gene's late-adopted Hollywood-liberal stance that informed the first couple of seasons of TNG, Star Trek was never all that peaceful. When Jim Kirk found out about the Romulan cloaking device, he didn't try to talk Mark Lenard's nameless Commander into a peaceful resolution, he shot at them until they had to either give up or self-destruct. Most of DS9 revolved around wars in the Bajor/Cardassia area. Much of the second season of ENT, and almost all of the third, was about the conflict with the Xindi, and the Temporal Cold War.

Oh, and as to what someone said upthread about Janeway "refusing to work with" some of the villainous creatures? You mean like the way she stood up and refused to assist the Borg under any circumstances? Except that she didn't. The concept is called realpolitik - the idea that sometimes you deal with the situation you have, rather than the ideal situation. Since there doesn't seem to be a lot of the galaxy left unexplored, until we start visiting satellite galaxies we're going to be dealing with a lot of realpolitik.
    Yes, the exploration missions were buggy, repetitive, and frequently just darn silly. I should know, I did over 700 of them on just one character....

Why? Because - buggy, repetitive and silly as they were - they were one small link to the idea of exploration in STO. And now we don't have that any more. Now, we just have "here are aliens, go shoot 'em". I think that's a bad thing.

Yes, the exploration missions were rubbish - but they should have been fixed, not just axed. I said that at the time, and I'll happily keep saying it.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    shevet wrote: »
    Yes, the exploration missions were buggy, repetitive, and frequently just darn silly. I should know, I did over 700 of them on just one character....

Why? Because - buggy, repetitive and silly as they were - they were one small link to the idea of exploration in STO. And now we don't have that any more. Now, we just have "here are aliens, go shoot 'em". I think that's a bad thing.

Yes, the exploration missions were rubbish - but they should have been fixed, not just axed. I said that at the time, and I'll happily keep saying it.

As bad, and as broken as they were, I could put my Science captain in his Nebula...and just explore hassle free. That was a fun sunday morning coffee way for me to play STO.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Depends, can you provide corroborating evidence that these bugs still exist?

Anyways, there seem to be several general misconceptions about Genesis here.

1: Genesis is not and never was a part of the code of STO. It was a dev tool that they used to make semi-random missions.

2: Genesis did not create missions on the fly. The devs used it to make a bunch of missions then added the ones they liked to the game.

3: "Fixing" Genesis did not in any way fix bugs with the missions it spewed out. Actually, from what I've heard the devs never actually went back and used it more than a handful of times. they'd sometimes patch the specific missions that needed it but the really badly broken ones just got axed, and players didn't notice.

Personally the only thing I miss is the maps themselves. Some were boring but others were very interesting to look at.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg