test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How can we tell if it's an exploit?

Comments

• cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    vestereng wrote: »
    Yeah I had something in mind like they should block marauding entirely, just remove the contraband or maybe make the turn in contraband be a weely or 72 hours.

I mean they have to nerf something right and that's the only thing left so 1+1=2

In line with a total ban on people just relaxing and earning gotta pick up the red bat-phone and get on the horn with the fun police, we can't let it stand

Then send in a fun-police strike team with f16 stealth bombers and artillery from the sea to get that contraband dil out of the caves

It's now like a bad relationship to me and I just want it over so by all means hurry up and nerf contraband and marauding

They may nerf contraband collecting I don't think they would do it for marauding, It would be a death blow to the KDF.Marauding is Cryptic's lazy apology for neglecting Klingon content.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well it's the last outpost of renegade earning they haven't nerfed.

What else is there to go after?

Pitiful enough to go after vendor trash then from that perspective, you best believe contraband is a huge leak free give-away of dil that has to stop.

Think of all the zen-to-dil they losing from it.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    They already halved the EC,s earned from vendor trashing warp cores, impulse engines, shields, and deflector arrays, I can't see them doing it again. Perhaps the Rep box trash we get?

I should shut up, I might give them ideas.
  • lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited October 2014
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    They already halved the EC,s earned from vendor trashing warp cores, impulse engines, shields, and deflector arrays, I can't see them doing it again. Perhaps the Rep box trash we get?

I should shut up, I might give them ideas.

My precious loot drops... That is where nearly all the EC originates from.
  • jimqqijimqqi Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Does it involve spending dil or zen? No = exploit
    edited October 2014
    jimqqi wrote: »

I got this thoron infused polaron, and I only spent a few ECs and some marks.... I'M AN EXPLOIT!!!

Anyways, I take it then that the community does not know how to tell, what is by Cryptic's definition, an exploit.
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If enemies seem too easy, or you're able to repeat it over and over without interruption, or you're leveling 10x faster than anywhere else, or you're able to squire far more dilithium than should be reasonably possible, or any combination of the above, then it should be fairly obvious its not worming as intended and should be considered an exploit. Now, to be clears an exploit isn't an exploit until players start abusing it. If you find that you're able to do any of the aforementioned things, according to cryptic, its OK to do them once in a while, but dont overdo it. Report it if you find it. Exploitation happens when greedy players do that same thing all day long, over and over, nonstop, to the point that they far surpass everyone else.
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    westx211 wrote: »
    Are people just ignoring what I say now?

Yep, because if it was about an exploited bug with the level matching system they wouldn't have nerfed elite xp.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,282 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yep, because if it was about an exploited bug with the level matching system they wouldn't have nerfed elite xp.

First of all that comment passed a while ago and second of all They didn't Nerf xp they fixed it. Other than incorrectly matching player levels all NPCs in the game were giving out !more xp than intended. So they reduced xp to the right level.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    10 signs that you might be an exploiter.

1) You invalidate everything in your game's loot table by introducing superior items behind a dill or zen paywall.

2) You obsolete every ship in your game and charge money to restore them to their previous competence equivalent to content.

3) You lied about number 2. You told people nothing would be obsolete, and prior to this you promised that any level cap increase applied to the game would introduce the command of multiple ships, thus avoiding any possibility of the obsolesce of our end game ships. You lied there too.

4) You replace the crafting system in your game with a lottery but continue to call it crafting.

5) You listen to the needs of the long time players of your game and introduce a loadout feature to make their lives easier, but you release it broken so that it actually makes their lives more difficult and then you ignore the feature.

6) You avoid ever commenting in writing about anything unless you absolutely have to, but you occasionally go on podcasts and call the players of your game winey babies there, because you know there wont be an easily referenced transcript.

7) You plan to monetize experience gain in your game and project sales of exp boosting items, but fail to meet those projections because you rushed the implementation of your new system.

8) You pretend your players have exploited your new system but refuse to specify the nature of the exploit because it dose not in fact exist. You take the amount of time that people have spent in game and find their EXP gain to time ratio, then blanket role back every one who exceeded your intended average.

9) You make your 2nd post in a year on the forums for your game, in order to affirm that every one who put time and effort into leveling efficiently is in fact an exploiter regardless of the method used, as you refuse to state a method that can be disputed.

10) You tell people to make a ticket for support if they feel they have been wrongly rolled back knowing that support never looks into anything and just copies and pastes unrelated items as responses.
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I believe the Simpsons already nailed this question.
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
    edited October 2014
    ghyudt wrote: »
    If enemies seem too easy, or you're able to repeat it over and over without interruption, or you're leveling 10x faster than anywhere else, or you're able to squire far more dilithium than should be reasonably possible, or any combination of the above, then it should be fairly obvious its not worming as intended and should be considered an exploit. Now, to be clears an exploit isn't an exploit until players start abusing it. If you find that you're able to do any of the aforementioned things, according to cryptic, its OK to do them once in a while, but dont overdo it. Report it if you find it. Exploitation happens when greedy players do that same thing all day long, over and over, nonstop, to the point that they far surpass everyone else.

Because they cannot tell us what the 'exploit' was, I am just left with an assumption of what this last 'exploit' may have been. I assume that players were using an old map that was working as intended for its time. However, I hear that players reported the 'exploit' before it went live, so it may have been obvious.

A less obvious 'exploit' was with the rep boxes. (Forgive me for going into details) People stockpiled their rep boxes, in stead of opening them up immediately, so they could cash in during the rep weekend. At the time, it must've seemed like a perfectly honest thing to do (a genius idea that follows the principle: patience is a virtue). I didn't do it at the time, but I would have. I would have been saving up boxes like I saved up zen for DR. It's not an exploit in RL, it is called saving up, patience, etc.
  • zendiummzendiumm Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My daily bonus mark packages often stays in my inventory instead of auto opening, am I an exploiter if I save them for next bonus mark event.... :)

I got a nice stack of them now.

I better open them right away right? :P
    edited October 2014
    zendiumm wrote: »
    My daily bonus mark packages often stays in my inventory instead of auto opening, am I an exploiter if I save them for next bonus mark event.... :)

Back then it was not labeled an 'exploit', but today is after Cryptic labeled it as an 'exploit'.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lystent wrote: »
    A less obvious 'exploit' was with the rep boxes. (Forgive me for going into details) People stockpiled their rep boxes, in stead of opening them up immediately, so they could cash in during the rep weekend. At the time, it must've seemed like a perfectly honest thing to do (a genius idea that follows the principle: patience is a virtue). I didn't do it at the time, but I would have. I would have been saving up boxes like I saved up zen for DR. It's not an exploit in RL, it is called saving up, patience, etc.

Wait.. that's an exploit? :confused: Maybe they should stop giving us boxes then or is it just too complicated for them to change?
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's all an exploit, none of it is supposed to allow you to advance. That's basically what the announcement was about apparently, nothing we do is considered normal gameplay so long as it can save your job when you make a mistake.
  • rogerthomsonrogerthomson Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    zendiumm wrote: »

If you open to many during a bonus mark event, then on heinsight Cryptic will announce you are part of a small group of exploiters, who opened more boxes during such an event then Cryptic anticipated, your items will be confiscated.

Same counts if you convert to much marks into dilli during an event.

After a week some one will step out of Cryptics Ivory tower, and drop an official message about it calling players exploiters and claim players should have known they are exploiting (then rushes quickly back into the Ivory Tower).
    edited October 2014
    People have been crying 'exploit' quite a bit. At this rate, when a real exploit occurs and someone cries "exploit", no one will listen.
  • bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    People have been crying 'exploit' quite a bit. At this rate, when a real exploit occurs and someone cries "exploit", no one will listen.

I think that might be the idea, look at all the fake exloit reporting threads

they're prob trying to flood the devs with fake reports so they don't notice the real ones
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Yes.

Mainly because you were replying to the most recent episode... Something that is already being discussed in countless other threads, making it too specific to be of relevance.

The op asked a general question.

Questions are OP, plz nerf, nerfing is an exploit so, questions are a bannable offense, please restate the question, in the form of a sentence.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

edited October 2014
    Questions are OP, plz nerf, nerfing is an exploit so, questions are a bannable offense, please restate the question, in the form of a sentence.

Worried. These last few exploits just didn't seem so obvious based on what I have been hearing. Inquiry. I am open to suggestions upon which is Cryptic's definition of exploit. Gratitude. A clear, fail-safe suggestion will be the most help full.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Worried. These last few exploits just didn't seem so obvious based on what I have been hearing. Inquiry. I am open to suggestions upon which is Cryptic's definition of exploit. Gratitude. A clear, fail-safe suggestion will be the most help full.

Now you got it, this will keep the ban hammer from falling down upon you in the future! :D
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    deokkent wrote: »
    Tin foil hat mode on.

I wasn't being serious but since you point it out, what? cryptic does something stupid its a conspiracy to get money, when players do something stupid its just stupidity?
    edited October 2014
    deokkent wrote: »
    Are you implying you did something stupid? BTW, I do agree with your point of view.

You could be banned posting exploits on the forums.

Only exploit I really posted was with the rep boxes. That shouldn't be a problem, now that they fixed it.
  • caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't have a crystal ball, so...

Stop playing ****ing stupid. All the people that played the exploited patrol missions to level know that really it was an exploit.

People levelling starship mastery in 10 minutes is clearly an exploit. As is people levelling up once every 20 minutes.

So your answer is, common sense. That's how you know. So stop acting like a child seeking attention, and chasing replies to your pointless whine thread.
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jimqqi wrote: »

Incorrect.

People who bought XP boosters and used them in new content, playing solo, with no level matching had XP confiscated from them for progressing too quickly, apparently.

For all we know, slotting consoles in that 11th console slot on fleet and lockbox ships was an exploit.
    edited October 2014
    caldannach wrote: »
    Stop playing ****ing stupid. All the people that played the exploited patrol missions to level know that really it was an exploit.

People levelling starship mastery in 10 minutes is clearly an exploit. As is people levelling up once every 20 minutes.

So your answer is, common sense. That's how you know. So stop acting like a child seeking attention, and chasing replies to your pointless whine thread.

And people playing new content, solo, on Elite, using no tricks, who simply pulled 20k DPS? They knew too?
    edited October 2014
    ghyudt wrote: »

That part I've highlighted is the definition of grinding and it's been a highly supported MMO mechanic since MUDs.
    edited October 2014
    Stop playing ****ing stupid.

I am not playing stupid, I am addressing the lack of clarity as of to why so many players have been labeled 'exploiters'.
  • bortensbortens Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited October 2014

this is even bigger bs than what that incompetent dangelo said on that matter.

japori giving less xp than argala sure made it obvious its an exploit.
    we also magically know the "devs" intentions, without them communicating with us.

take your own child advice, seriously.

just because youre lazy and slow doesnt mean others cheated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]