test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Upgrading Mk XIV to next quality - major ripoff!

monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
I'm working on upgrading a very rare (purple) Mk XIV ground weapon to ultra rare quality. After upgrading it to purple I fully filled out the tech points to upgrade it again. Is it ultra rare now? NO!

Now it sits with nothing more than a 5% chance to increase its quality the next time I *attempt* to upgrade it.

All those improved tech upgrades I crafted and all that dilithium to upgrade its quality WASTED! This is nothing more than a major ripoff and it's going to cost a hell of a lot more dilithium then flat out buying an ultra rare fleet weapon.

But it's a Federation Type 1 Phaser I'm working on.

I would much rather have upgrading to next quality once you upgrade it to Mk XIV require more tech points with a guaranteed chance to upgrade it to the next quality.

But as it stands, this is nothing more than a flat out MAJOR dilithium sink.

128,064 tech points required to upgrade it at this point. Each improved tech upgrade (5k tech points each) makes it cost 950 dilithium. So that was about 24,320 dilithium I just wasted increasing only the chance to upgrade its quality, and that was only the first attempt to upgrade it to ultra rare.

So when is it going to upgrade to ultra rare? When I've spent about 2 million dilithium and have a 99% chance to upgrade its quality??

Thanks Cryptic for NOT listening to the playerbase on that one. :mad:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Tried getting some gear up to Ultra Rare and gave up. At this point. I will not go beyond Very Rare Max Level since anything beyond that is not going to give you the results you seek without a disproportionate amount of Tech Upgrades to do it.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    yesterday i was upgrading some disruptor induction coils and my 4th coil i was upgrading rare mk11 to rare mk12, but it ticked at 3% chance of upgrade and went to mk12 vr instead. not sure if it was that lucky but theres a possibility it could tick at a lower chance or if it does require the full 100%. from what i have seen, its going to be a long day in hell before im ever going to seriously consider ur stuff. for one i dont have the crafting mats. two i dont have the dilthium, 3 stuff like this takes time i dont have usually, however i can try to find something in the meantime.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    illyrian2008illyrian2008 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Heh, heh, heh, now buy some zen and convert it into dilithium.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Lol, this post made me laugh the hardest in a long while. TY :D
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    casper32433casper32433 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm working on upgrading a very rare (purple) Mk XIV ground weapon to ultra rare quality. After upgrading it to purple I fully filled out the tech points to upgrade it again. Is it ultra rare now? NO!

Now it sits with nothing more than a 5% chance to increase its quality the next time I *attempt* to upgrade it.

All those improved tech upgrades I crafted and all that dilithium to upgrade its quality WASTED! This is nothing more than a major ripoff and it's going to cost a hell of a lot more dilithium then flat out buying an ultra rare fleet weapon.

But it's a Federation Type 1 Phaser I'm working on.

I would much rather have upgrading to next quality once you upgrade it to Mk XIV require more tech points with a guaranteed chance to upgrade it to the next quality.

But as it stands, this is nothing more than a flat out MAJOR dilithium sink.

128,064 tech points required to upgrade it at this point. Each improved tech upgrade (5k tech points each) makes it cost 950 dilithium. So that was about 24,320 dilithium I just wasted increasing only the chance to upgrade its quality, and that was only the first attempt to upgrade it to ultra rare.

So when is it going to upgrade to ultra rare? When I've spent about 2 million dilithium and have a 99% chance to upgrade its quality??

Thanks Cryptic for NOT listening to the playerbase on that one. :mad:

Your better off using Superior uprgades, u get 12,800 TP and cost just over 1k dil vs only getting 5k TP and costing u 950 dil.

Yep that is exactly what they want u to do, that's why they made the upgrade system the way it is.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Just realized I have 14k energy credits left from crafting the improved tech upgrades (though I didn't have a whole lot to begin with after buying a doff from the exchange that I needed).

About 26 improved tech upgrades X 7,500 EC each (when crafting them yourself)= 195,000 EC
    About 65 basic tech upgrades X 2,500 EC each (when crafting them yourself) = 162,500

But you need to be at least level 5 in the crafting school to craft basic tech upgrades and level 10 for improved, in the right school for what type of item you want to upgrade.

You have other options if you aren't high enough level yet to craft tech upgrades in the school you need to craft them in:

65 Basic tech upgrade at ground equipment vendor X 10,000 EC each = 650,000 EC to attempt to upgrade a very rare Mk XIV ground weapon to ultra rare quality.

Or buy tech upgrades in the exchange for who-knows-how-much.

All of this is without using any Accelerators. At the time of writing, green quality 1.5x Technology Boosts (Accelerators) are going for 390,000+ EC in the exchange, and that is the cheapest I'm seeing for any Accelerator. If using Accelerators it would cost a lot more to upgrade.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Your better off using Superior uprgades, u get 12,800 TP and cost just over 1k dil vs only getting 5k TP and costing u 950 dil.

Yep that is exactly what they want u to do, that's why they made the upgrade system the way it is.

You have to be level 15 in a crafting school to even craft superior tech upgrades. Level 11 is the max I have in any crafting school. For ground weapons, which is the type of item I'm upgrading, I have it at level 10. Nowhere near close to being able to craft the tech upgrades I need.

Superior Tech Upgrades in the exchange cost 718,000 and up at this time. I would need about 11 superior tech to make another attempt, so that would cost me around 7,898,00 or more, which is astronomically more than just buying the 10k EC basic tech from a ground equipment vendor. It would probably be way, way cheaper to craft on my own, which is what I would prefer to do since players like charging huge amounts for stuff. FFS! Basic tech upgrades start at 5k more in the exchange then buying them from the ground vendor.

But at this rate it will probably be months before I reach level 15 in any crafting school doing basically only the 6k XP daily project. And I can't bring myself to log in every single friggen day to keep up with it.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

How about you go play a game of 'hide and go flog yourself'!
  • Options
    ermanameermaname Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    As with almost all MMOs it's either patience or pay them I'm afraid. Maybe see if a fleetmate/friend will craft the items at material cost for you, as all you need is to give them the materials and ask nicely and some people might make some for you, never know, may be worth a try, but best to make sure it's someone you can trust and not just a random met in ESD zone chat, lol.
  • Options
    choppy101choppy101 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    When l was on tribble l upgraded all the items on my ship to epic the total cost was 13,283,650 Dilithium and 245,000,000 energy credit if you have 10 char the you like to upgrade all there stuff
    well just hand over your pay for the next ten years and remember thats only one ship build.10 char and and say 5 ship build per char = 664,182,500 dilithium and 1,225,000,000,000 EC.
    OK that great how do l sign the deeds of my house over.
    but Wait you can craft stuff to make it alot cheaper .and remember the game isn't designed to finish everything in One week. Doing it the cheap way by crafting and grinding still could take upto about 2 years to upgrade everything for free (so to speak).

BUT STILL BELIEVE IT"S WAY to MUCH...
    Its fully designed for the rich players to exploite the poor people on the Exchange

So whats unfair The Rich get everything and the poor get Nothing.Its called buisness!!!!
    There is no fair in Buisness.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    How about you go play a game of 'hide and go flog yourself'!

You mean grind dil in DR? Amounts to the same thing.
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    This issue was brought up during tribble testing, of course we weren't listened to as ever...
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    And now you can't even do that if you level to 60...

Currently there are far too many Dil sinks (works out cheaper to buy everything for EC off the exchange even at the exorbitant prices) to make any of the new systems worth looking at. I've done crafting in many different MMO's not one of them insulted the player as hard as this one. Even the silly price of large bags in Guild Wars 2 is EASY to stomach compared to this bollocks.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    To be honest I've upgraded my ground gear to mk 14 very rare. And that's the best I'm going to do. Because the system is horrendously over priced. Cryptic need to increase the drop rate of the very rare mats by quite a bit. As well as looking at reducing the dilithiun cost of applying the upgrade tokens. I don't mind paying for the actual final upgrade. But to apply the tech upgrades really winds me up. Then factor in the pittyful chances of actually getting a rarity upgrade or how much you've got to dump into it to get one. The dilithium cost was what killed the last crafting system off and they've done exactly same here except added a few new carrots for us. By all means keep the dil requirements for by passing the time gates. But for the love of god devs for once in the game please do something that actually benefits the player base.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    edited October 2014
    It's funny because Guild Wars 2 has a flourishing player base, great content that updates regularly and still turns a big profit. Even more amazingly nothing is really behind a massive grind wall, the currency used isn't excessively overpriced and the whole concept is just fun. The biggest grind in the game was to make some Legendary/Ascended gear which only gave a small increase over the top end Orange level (almost legendary) gear. It wasn't required and only really served as a show of ego.

There were a few grinds, mainly for the Epic gear from dungeons, but that's pretty commonplace and you can equate that to the MACO/Omega/Dyson type gear. However none of it required their currency, just time and patience and playing the game. This is where PWE/Cryptic have lost the plot. Have the cosmetics be the cost, have the game be the game. It's not a hard act to follow, but these guys are really making it hard...
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • Options
    chrishellmax2363chrishellmax2363 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ok , op. Herese the thing mate.

Some of us are already lvl 15 in some of the schools. If you have the materials and stuff, most of us will make the stuff for you. I myself have beams 15 and have helped a few people in the past few weeks.

Really hoping that you dont spend time using the low level 10 and lvl 5 upgrade stuff. Its a waste of money (dill/zen)

As for the upgrading. I have used salvaged tech with the next level upgrades and so far 3 percent increase rare doesn help me as it resets everytime you use salvage superiour tech upgrade.

I think part of the system is flawed. Most of my weapons is mk14 and unless the epics change, i wont spend 212 000 tech points to get the different color of my mk14. i think some folks should be really wasting if you push something beyond mk14.

What i dont get is how the space shield of the undine counter command was 9000 shields at mk13, delta rising launches and my shields dropped to 7000. Now upgrading to mk14 on that, i will get what i had before.
    Whether you think you are right or wrong, either way you are RIGHT.
  • Options
    knockyknocky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I learned my lesson about this money-grabbing system after the first quart million Dil.

Sorry it took you so long to realize what the upgrade system really is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    knocky wrote: »
    I learned my lesson about this money-grabbing system after the first quart million Dil.

Sorry it took you so long to realize what the upgrade system really is.

Working as intended, either invest insane amount of time or open up your wallet for zen to dil conversion.
  • Options
    borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    [...]
    Of course it's a rip-off. It suppose to be.
    There are players that gathered too much zen/dil and it has to go somewhere.
    That, on top of the utterly broken exchange, makes any investment a suicide.

If you ask me, STO got brought by a Ferengi.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't bother with quality upgrades....... once it's at Mk XIV I'm done with it for now. Attempting quality upgrade is just a massive dilithium dump with very little payback. If you're working on wanting ultra-rare, go fleet. For a fraction of the dilithium cost you could likely get buying level rank in a good-sized fleet, and then just upgrade THAT to MK XIV.
  • Options
    borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    By a rough calculation: to get a purple MK12 rep to MK14 epic would require at most:
    (for 100% chance of upgrade)

Dil: 400k (F-->E)+200k (P-->F)+ 25k (MK12-2-MK14). Thats 600k+
    EC: At 1.5 mil an average console price, thats 900mil+.

So yes, it's fine. A Ferengi would say: I volunteer to do it for you for 400k dil and 500 million on my risk.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    That's the exact reason the current rich will get richer and the rest will just get bored.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
  • Options
    trelane87trelane87 Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    As many others have stated this was a known issue on tribble and the devs ignored it completely so we must assume that it is working as intended... what I find worse is that in order to make the very best Upgrades (The Superior Experimental ones) not only are they locked behind Level 15 crafting but the Salvaged Tech is locked behind Elite PvE queues... how are people supposed to get these and make the best gear in game if they can't do the content because they don't have UR/Epic gear? I haven't upgraded one item on any of my characters and don't plan on doing it anytime soon, the benefits of running Elite or Advanced content just aren't there, and now with the SXP nerf this is even more so. The upgrade system is nothing but a money pit and yet another horribly thought out system being jammed down our throats.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You buy Mk 2 Very Rares and from there you upgrade to epic... that is what folks say is the best way to upgrade...

/shrug.

Just buy Ultra Rare Fleet Mk 10s and upgrade from there... if you hit epic good if not your UR Mk 14s... thou it's probably cheaper to buy UR Mk 12s... but then you loose out of 2 chances to hit epic.

frankly this upgrade is pure cash grab money sink...

I'm thinking of staying with ultra rare mk 12 fleet.
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    yup, Scum Balling hard at work

Been said a bagillion times, R+D needs a revamp, at least HALF it's cost would be a start in the right direction.

only as a start
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited October 2014
    This is not the game for you.
  • Options
    leethorogoodleethorogood Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The cost of upgrading an items quality makes me sad. :(
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    12 toons feed my free Dil, so i am not worried about it, it's still costs to much XD

(which would be 96,000 dil a day) costs to much to do "fun" R+D play

also note 615 zen at an exchange rate of 156 dil per zen.

scary if i was buying that, which i am gladly not
    eywdK7c.jpg