Install Arc
Options

EP speaks on this week’s exploit

Comments

• Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I hope someone in the highter echelons of PWE catches the irony of this. So, I paid D'Angelo hundreds of euros this month, so as to gear up my Aquatic Destroyer (and other ships) to all Ultra Rare Mk XIV, and now I'm an exploiter because I did too much DPS?! Lolwut?! Say it ain't so! Because if it is, then there's not enough voltage in the universe to electroshock me back into coherence! :P

It's either that, or your a lier :D

Or they made a mistake. They never make mistakes.
  • Options
    gamer940gamer940 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    thegcbacon wrote: »
    It's nice to have you clarify the position you chose. I understand it and hope others will respond maturely to you.

Gamers? Respond maturely to something? Yeah, right. :P
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    abfabfleet wrote: »
    I say stay, there are a few players that over a period of 4 years who you randomly see and occasionally happen to see them in action. STAY! File the ticket... and see what comes of it. Besides, I don't think it would be hard for you at all to get back what you lost... it hurts but deep down inside you know you love this game... Just sayin ;)

Oh, you and I both know I will probably stay. I really am shocked by this, though.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The OP.

It is appreciated that you have posted. I may not actually believe you, but that is a different subject.

Particularly your 17% comment - It is nowhere near high enough.

As your own metrics will confirm, the ~50% average player is about 4k DPS, in a game where realistically 100k+ is feasible with what is on Holodeck now, given the very top people were running 87k Pre-DR, so on actual damage levels alone it should vastly exceed 17%, let alone a bug in coding.

Tribble feedback about this was made, and the dev team did nothing. As is usual for stuff coming from Tribble, it never was looked at.

That statement describes every major system to have come into STO since I started playing. This issue was raised, and no response made.

As normal, what was broke on Tribble went live on Holodeck, as it does every time. The players, knowing it was obviously OK on Tribble, carried on - after all, for something this important, it would be looked at.

Now on Holodeck, the response of just kicking players instead of actually admitting there was a Dev-side TRIBBLE up means there is a torrent of people leaving due to this, and other stuff that has been ruining STO for almost a year or more. I would list, but no one with any capacity to change any of it cares. Or worse, actually thinks it is a good idea.

The entire clusterf**k was caused because at your end feedback from your test server is chronically ignored, and bugged and broke stuff is pushed live. Nothing to do with players, we just did what we always do of putting up with broke systems pushed live.

ETA - as you will also see from your metrics, I took no part in any skill point grind. Feel free to drag any of my characters and check, Tribble or Holodeck.

Reason - I knew stuff like this would happen.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    darthwoo wrote: »
    You JUST posted in the DPS thread where you acknowledged that some people do have absurdly higher than average DPS, and had it before they would have even started leveling beyond 50. Why is something "up" if they happen to be killing things that much faster than you for the purpose of grinding XP?

A reasonable question.

Ultra high DPS players will level faster then me, I agree.

Will they level 17 times faster then me? No.

People using this exploit were getting characters to level 60 in a day, maxing skill points on the first day or two of DR. High DPS players are still limited by time gates on ques and other barriers that prevent this excessive level of gain.

Even the highest DPS player is not going to get a new character to level 60 in a day. Players obviously progress at different rates, I would never try and argue that. These players were gaining at a ridiculously high rate and were penalized for doing such.

I don't support punishing people for being good at the game and advancing faster then average players.

I do support punishing players that just use one broken method over and over to out gain everyone else with far less effort.

As they say in the 'official response,' discerning the difference between a player that's exploiting and a player that just levels fast isn't always easy. In some cases it's obvious, other cases are not as clear, that's why support looks into individual tickets.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    rswfiredotcomrswfiredotcom Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    they don't care if you log in. they can click 1 button and see exactly how much money you've spent on sto in the last couple of years.

Actually, they can't. I don't think you realize just how incompetent these people truly are. The customer service department wasn't even aware I had two characters 50+ until I told them. How on Earth they could not look at my account as a whole will forever puzzle the hell out of me. But that is exactly what they told me this week.

You know why they are so unhelpful? They don't have any decent tools. They just ask you to send screenshots (this is their proof because they can't look the data up themselves) and/or file a bug report, in which they flat out tell you that you will not get a response from that department.

They are so helpless that a GM said to me this week that the only time to contact them is if you are physically stuck in the game or someone is harassing you, that they cannot help you with anything else. They are useless.

Now, sure, someone like D'Angelo can get access to all of this information, but he's not the one looking up your account and seeing if you contributed to their salaries or not. In fact, he blatantly directed you to this very department that is wholly incapable of doing anything whatsoever.
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    A reasonable question.

Actually, assuming you are a typical player, yes, they will.
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Actually, they can't. I don't think you realize just how incompetent these people truly are. The customer service department wasn't even aware I had two characters 50+ until I told them. How on Earth they could not look at my account as a whole will forever puzzle the hell out of me. But that is exactly what they told me this week.
    they didn't have any trouble going into my account and restoring something that got screwed up a couple of weeks ago.

and since you can't buy zen without it going through pw and then into sto it's not hard to see how much money someone spends. you're own account keeps track of it for you. i can go there right now and see how much i've spent, and if i can see it they can see it.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't see your point either you're contradicting yourself with every new post ...

I'm not seeing how that is a contradiction. These are the points I am trying to make, so I apologize if there has been some misinterpretation. I will try to clear it up.

1: The worst offenders should have known better. I still believe this.

2: Not everybody in this thread who thinks they got a raw deal were among the worst offenders.

3: A line was drawn somewhere, and I'm sure there are people who legitimately were ignorant that this was unintentional, but the losses of those spec points appear to be minimal. Yes, I know minimal is subjective, and yes, I know some people lost more than others, while some apparently got away with everything intact. I can't prove or disprove anybody's claims.

4: Not everybody was making 17x the average XP rate gain.

5: If people want to say that they were making 17x the average XP rate gain, but are pleading ignorant about it, then yes, I will call them out on having to know better, since they are attempting to paint themselves as one of the worst offenders.

But if they are not saying they were making that much in XP gain, then I am not pointing fingers at them for having to know better.

Does that clear things up?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    To think, I used to believe Star Trek fans were largely smarter than your average fandom.
    Sadly I think the percentage of true "Star Trek fans" that play is 50% or less. Some people like me are here because it's Star Trek. But a lot of other people here just because it's an MMO or who knows what other reasons.

And this is not new, I've noticed it from the beginning with the juvenile starship/character names, the comical avatars etc. But I do think it got worse when it went F2P.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    A reasonable question.

People using this exploit were getting characters to level 60 in a day, maxing skill points on the first day or two of DR. High DPS players are still limited by time gates on ques and other barriers that prevent this excessive level of gain.

Even the highest DPS player is not going to get a new character to level 60 in a day. Players obviously progress at different rates, I would never try and argue that. These players were gaining at a ridiculously high rate and were penalized for doing such.

I don't support punishing people for being good at the game and advancing faster then average players.

Yes, they will. And if not you, than average. I don't think you appreciate the massive disparity between average > decent > top end. This applies to damage dealing, grinding/farming, PvP/PvE, gear choices, boff powers, ships, etc.

I would bet one of those top end players could take a toon from 50 to 60 in a day tomorrow if they wanted to even with the current state of exp gain.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    they didn't have any trouble going into my account and restoring something that got screwed up a couple of weeks ago.

and since you can't buy zen without it going through pw and then into sto it's not hard to see how much money someone spends. you're own account keeps track of it for you. i can go there right now and see how much i've spent, and if i can see it they can see it.

If that were true then the $600 I spent on STO this past week and a half would have gotten me warmer responses than I received from them. They blew me off in four separate tickets, all of which were fully legitimate issues that could only be solved by a properly functioning customer service department.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    If that were true then the $600 I spent on STO this past week and a half would have gotten me warmer responses than I received from them. They blew me off in four separate tickets, all of which were fully legitimate issues that could only be solved by a properly functioning customer service department.
    anyone can say they spent 600 bucks on a gaming forum hiding behind a false name. if saying it here made it true then i've spent a million this week. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    anyone can say they spent 600 bucks on a gaming forum hiding behind a false name. if saying it here made it true then i've spent a million this week. :)

My name is Robert Samuel White. Go to rswfire.com. Look up the whois info of my domain. I am not anonymous.

I left STO three years ago. I came back around two weeks ago. I bought the Legacy of Romulus Pack. I leveled a Romulan to 50 during their double experience days. At that point, I was in love with the amount of progress made in STO so I decided to buy the Delta Operations Pack. I spent another $400 on Zen through Steam. I don't care if you believe me or not. You are nothing to me.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    If people want to say that they were making 17x the average XP rate gain, but are pleading ignorant about it, then yes, I will call them out on having to know better, since they are attempting to paint themselves as one of the worst offenders.

But if they are not saying they were making that much in XP gain, then I am not pointing fingers at them for having to know better.

Does that clear things up?

Not really, because I have a hard time to believe, anyone was playing the game measuring the XP-gain Rate X, compared to XP-gain Rate Y ... so you're pointing at noone imho ... and even if they did, it's hard to know which one is the "right" one ... with the massive HP Increase, which was new to pretty much everyone ...

... assuming 17x times is actually the right number, and only those who leveled 17x faster got punished ...

My orginal Point being, the "New Normal" is so far off imho, I can't bring myself doing anything but Doffing to gain XP ... it seems you don't see much of a difference between "Old Normal" & "New Normal", though ... so agree to disagree ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    My name is Robert Samuel White. Go to rswfire.com. Look up the whois info of my domain. I am not anonymous.

I left STO three years ago. I came back around two weeks ago. I bought the Legacy of Romulus Pack. I leveled a Romulan to 50 during their double experience days. At that point, I was in love with the amount of progress made in STO so I decided to buy the Delta Operations Pack. I spent another $400 on Zen through Steam. I don't care if you believe me or not. You are nothing to me.
    and you're nothing to me either. That's the whole point. we're just a bunch of strangers on a gaming forum. for all i know you only spent 10 bucks and are nerd raging over that. the fact that you say it's so doesn't make it so.
  • Options
    buddha1369buddha1369 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTT!

Leveling your character to 60 in Tau Dewa wasn't the exploit. When are you people going to get that through your thick skulls?
  • Options
    dichtbringerdichtbringer Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited October 2014

And anyone can be a useless apologist trying to justify to himself why he likes taking it up his rear behind when clearly everything the devs have done this past week was immoral and reprehensible, based on fantasy numbers and implemented by pressing random buttons. See how this works?
    STO Voice Control Tutorial Video: WATCH
    ELITE STF SPEED RECORDS (time on optional remaining):
    S07: KASE: 12:54 | CSE: 13:20 | ISE: 12:38 All held personally, my POV
    LOR: KASE: 13:19 | CSE: 13:47 | ISE: 13:34 None held personally, other player's POV
    S08: coming soon
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    bareel wrote: »
    Yes, they will. And if not you, than average. I don't think you appreciate the massive disparity between average > decent > top end. This applies to damage dealing, grinding/farming, PvP/PvE, gear choices, boff powers, ships, etc.

I would bet one of those top end players could take a toon from 50 to 60 in a day tomorrow if they wanted to even with the current state of exp gain.

Could they go from 50 to 60 in a day? Probably.. but it would take a lot of play time. They would pretty much have to be on all day.

Players using Sector Patrol exploit leveled from 1 to 60 in a day. There were all kinds of players bragging about it, there are posts on this forum from people that did it.

No player, regardless of how skilled can go from 1 to 60 in a day without using an exploit of some sort.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    And anyone can be a useless apologist trying to justify to himself why he likes taking it up his rear behind when clearly everything the devs have done this past week was immoral and reprehensible, based on fantasy numbers and implemented by pressing random buttons. See how this works?
    what did i apologize about? i said if you don't like the game have the balls to back it up and walk away. whining on a forum won't fix any of your issues. you're not that important to them. you're 1 grain of sand on the beach, and only they know if you're a grain that spends money or not. if you dont' spend money you're an empty suit to them.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    what did i apologize about? i said if you don't like the game have the balls to back it up and walk away. whining on a forum won't fix any of your issues. you're not that important to them. you're 1 grain of sand on the beach, and only they know if you're a grain that spends money or not. if you dont' spend money you're an empty suit to them.

I will never understand people like you. SMH!
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Not really, because I have a hard time to believe, everyone was playing the game measuring the XP-gain Rate X, compared to XP-gain Rate Y ... so you're pointing at noone imho

If I'm pointing at no one, then there shouldn't be an issue with my opinion.

10 spec points was the cut-off point. If someone lost 1 or 2 spec points, could they have been reasonably ignorant about it being an exploit? Sure. But from what was explained, that was not the worst of it.

The people doing this to excess knew what they were getting into, and I think they should have known better.

I'm talking about the people who could recognize that 17 times the XP rate gain was highly unusual and not intentional.

If someone wants to say they think that is normal for the game, I will say they are either extremely oblivious or downright dishonest.

But I am also saying that doesn't seem to be the case for most of the people in this thread, and I apologize if that is what was interpreted.

I find it statistically unlikely all ~250 accounts are in the forums to begin with.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014

So wait, let me try to follow your logic: According to you, all I have to do is spend a few couple thousand bucks on the game and the devs will magically listen to me? I have bad news for you: This is definitly not how anything of this works. And since, as I already mentioned, cannot in good conscience log into the game at this point, "complaining on the forums" is pretty much all i can do. And since a significant amount of other people are doing the same right now, there is a chance this might actually work (like when the devs removed Dil from STFs and then put back after people "whined" enough, and the outrage right now is already considerably "louder" than back then).
    LOR: KASE: 13:19 | CSE: 13:47 | ISE: 13:34 None held personally, other player's POV
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I will never understand people like you. SMH!
    what's there to understand? the devs are gone on the weekends. whining about something on the weekends is pointless. if you don't like something vote with your wallet; but if you're not paying now don't expect them to give your opinions as much merit as those who do spends a lot of money.

there's too many people on this forum who spend 30 bucks a year, or othing at all but grind zen, and think they're the most important people in the game. they're not.
  • Options
    cah3cah3 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Totally agree with this thread.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    bareel wrote: »
    It's either that, or your a lier :D

Or they made a mistake. They never make mistakes.

I think the picture is pretty clear to me now. This wasn't about Dilithium, or magic XP booster packs that could allegedly bypass the refining limit (really, people!). Nor was it about Tau Dewa even (where I never was). Nor was it about team-trickery (as I was never in such team).

No, the banality of this is that I'm apparently being charged with... having played on Elite, whereas I supposedly should have known Elite was not meant to pay out 5x, but only 2 times. As if I keep track of Cryptic's XP loot tables! Never has it occured to D'Angelo that I haven't looked at XP for the last few years! I leveled up within a week or so, after joining STO, and have never since looked at XP, other than realizing it got apparently converted to 27+ million EXP now. Apparently I should have known that 1,200 XP for a Vaadvaur boss was too much. Well, I didn't.

Also, I only chose that DS9 mission because someone mentioned it here, and how handy it was, as waves keep spawning. Which, I haste to say, is absolutely no exploit! Because if it had only like 5 waves or so, I would have simply replayed the mission over and over again. Same difference. Just seemed like a quiet little spot for me to do my grinding, is all.

Honestly, I think D'Angelo has taken an unusually self-centered stance on this (what with himself, of course, being eminently familiar with XP loot tables). And then he concluded, unduly harshly, that people having played on Elite are exploiters, and must now be punished. And, I have to admit, I feel quite a bit of resentment over it. This isn't over Tomorrow.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    what's there to understand?

Your incessant fanboy-ism. Your dire need to defend the honor of Cryptic at all costs. Your complete and total dismissal of anything anyone says that doesn't fit into your perfect argument. You know, it's a lot like what Christians do with the Bible, actually. For the record, I don't understand them either.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Your incessant fanboy-ism. Your dire need to defend the honor of Cryptic at all costs. Your complete and total dismissal of anything anyone says that doesn't fit into your perfect argument. You know, it's a lot like what Christians do with the Bible, actually. For the record, I don't understand them either.
    please point me to where i defended cryptic? you wont' find any defense in this thread. my points remain the same:

1) whining on the weekend accomplishes nothing because the people who should be hearing your complaints are off until monday.

2) vote with your dollars not with your words. dollars are the only thing they care about. someone can complain all they want but if the game has 50k people pumping money into the cstore daily the 2k people on the forum are meaningless.

3) don't pretend you're the most important person in the world just because the game doesn't do what you wanted it to do. cryptic's going to listen to the people who spend money. that's just basic economics.

none of that has anything do with liking or hating cryptic. it's just basic common sense.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    please point me to where i defended cryptic? you wont' find any defense in this thread. my points remain the same:

1) whining on the weekend accomplishes nothing because the people who should be hearing your complaints are off until monday.

The truth it that no one usually checks the forums. Not on the weekend. Not on monday. Never. However, every once in a while, like I already mentioned, like when devs removed Dil from STFs, they DO suddenly notice a massive outcry (and again I repeat, this one already is louder than the one over Dil a year ago. maybe you weren't there then, whereas others (like me) have been around since Beta, so I guess you have no way of remembering.

And back then, the devs noticed "even during the weekend". Yeah...
    2) vote with your dollars not with your words. dollars are the only thing they care about. someone can complain all they want but if the game has 50k people pumping money into the cstore daily the 2k people on the forum are meaningless.

Every F2P player the game looses is felt by Cryptic. Because less overall players means less customers on the exchange for goods that some people bought for ZEN but sell ingame for EC (eg Fleet Modules). Whenever player numbers dwindle, prices AND availabilty on the exchange for "Zen Items" massively drop. It really doesn't matter if you pay in Dollars or EC (=game time), the devs definitly feel it when many people, even if they never spent real money on the game leave.

Also, some people, some "whales" (who spent a lot of ream money) in the end are only here because of their (possibly non-paying) friends. If those friends leave, they leave aswell.
This discussion has been closed.