test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to soothe the community's anger

heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
Simple: credit everyone with 100k-200k refined dilithium.

I think a major cause of people quitting STO is that they've simply run out of resources to upgrade with, and feel like they're falling behind. I know that's how I feel. Upgrade costs being as astronomical as they are, it's not surprising that some people are finding themselves drained, scraping the bottom of the 8k daily refine barrel. If you give folks enough free dil to upgrade a few weapons to gold, they'll be more amenable to suffering through the disastrous DR launch.
I AM WAR.
Post edited by heckgoblin on

Comments

• doghou5edoghou5e Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    While the intention is a nice one I can't see Cryptic going for this as it means admitting they were wrong whether they were or not.

Personally I think they'll take the "It'll all blow over" approach.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Nothing short of restoring ALL my skillpoints will do it for me.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited October 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Nothing short of restoring ALL my skillpoints will do it for me.

That's less "soothing anger" as it is "restoring basic functionality which should have been a given." :P
    I AM WAR.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Skill points > Dilithium. Seriously.

Because skill points were earned with effort.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    A half dozen FSM's would sooth my anger.
    :D

* see sig
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • kblarghkblargh Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Honestly, i'll settle for them undoing this TRIBBLE with the XP. I can grind my own Dilithium, and throwing us a bone for cutting our legs isn't really equitable, i think.

I know it'd be unfair to you, meimeitoo, and to lot more players in your position, but i'd be happy to call it a draw if they just unscrewed the game.
    edited October 2014
    kblargh wrote: »
    Honestly, i'll settle for them undoing this TRIBBLE with the XP. I can grind my own Dilithium, and throwing us a bone for cutting our legs isn't really equitable, i think.

I know it'd be unfair to you, meimeitoo, and to lot more players in your position, but i'd be happy to call it a draw if they just unscrewed the game.

I was nowhere near reaping extra Dilithium from the Specializations yet. :) So, just 'unscrewing' the XP situation would make me happy too. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    IF, and that's a big if, they were going to offer something to players to try to soothe us, it would more likely be some useless costume piece. Much the same as they did for neverwinter's early exchange exploit. Which by the way, was identical to STO's early exchange exploit. You just have to love copy/paste game coding. Especially when the initial broken code is never fixed.
  • knockyknocky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    They will never admit fault.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2014
    knocky wrote: »

Also this ^^
  • shmojoshmojo Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Cryptic confirmed to work for the government. Which government? You decide.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited October 2014

Nice signature ;)
  • kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Honestly.. there are not people quitting in droves.. the servers are not barren. there are a few very vocal whiners about how life is not fair.

Yes I would love another 100k or 200k but lets be honest its not about getting players back its about players not wanting to grind it and wanting instant gratification.

Like with every expansion you get the sky is falling crowed...

Were there some balance mistakes... sure but then again this is the 1st level increase they are bound to get a few things off balances and it takes time to fix... rather them fix it in slow small amounts then knee jerk (like what they did to Tau) and really throw things out of wack.
  • martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    heckgoblin wrote: »

I think a major cause of people quitting STO is that they've simply run out of resources to upgrade with, and feel like they're falling behind. I know that's how I feel. Upgrade costs being as astronomical as they are, it's not surprising that some people are finding themselves drained, scraping the bottom of the 8k daily refine barrel. If you give folks enough free dil to upgrade a few weapons to gold, they'll be more amenable to suffering through the disastrous DR launch.

Yes, this would pretty much do it for me. I'd say more like 200-300k though (totally willing to take it unrefined, btw). Honestly, even with participating in the crafting system, upgrading somehow ended up costing me far more than I really though possible...I blew through my 600k refined dilithium stockpile like it was nothing. And this is the precise feeling that has kept me from spending more real world money....because I feel like I'll just keep flushing it away on these massive sinks without really getting anywhere.

I also just don't even feel like logging in as much or for as long anymore, because of the seemingly insurmountable grinds in front of me. There's simply too much for me to do IRL to spend that much time chiseling out a statue with a toothpick.

However, I don't think a freebie like that will happen anytime soon. Would love to be proven wrong, but I just don't think so.

EDIT: BTW, I haven't and don't plan on quitting. I've just closed my wallet and stopped playing "competitively."
    edited October 2014
    there are a few very vocal whiners about how life is not fair.

And even fewer vocal whiners about how life is fair. It's a mistake to think the general sentiment is limited to the vocal minority.

The vocal mass is always a minority, and should be taken as a representative sample of the whole. I'm not the greatest at math, but i'm pretty sure it is statistically improbable that nearly every player who has logged in since yesterday doesn't have feelings on what happened. And i wouldn't bet on them being nice.
    edited October 2014
    There was more outrage over the email nerf and the "tour the galaxy" nerf.

Pardon me, but no there wasn't. I was here.

The Tour nerf was limited to one thread, maybe 2. Not the whole front page awash with indignation like what's happening here right now.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the general consensus is apathy because they simply weren't affected by the rollback.

I can imagine maybe that haven't noticed they've been affected, but they have. Even if they haven't lost a single point, as i don't seem to have, their progreaasion has been crippled to the point that they now have to do nearly quadruple grinding. This is an insane amount we're talking about here, there's no way they won't notice sooner or later.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There was more outrage over the email nerf and the "tour the galaxy" nerf.

Yes but outrage is an easy thing to build with time. All that you need to do is NOT satisfy it and with the next issue [to achieve the same apparent impact] people go to greater extremes (because its not really about the specific outrage in question, its about the feeling of being outraged. You'll take what fodder you can get in order to create a self-rightous situation and for that [after the last one] to have any personal meaning it must follow a pattern akin to an addiction cycle.)

The amount of angst on a forum is not a useful, or even remotely valid, criterion with which to judge anything. Its just a record of how many people have chosen to use events surrounding a video game to their own self-satisfaction (see. the tone used most often around here.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • redz4twredz4tw Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2014
    I was nowhere near reaping extra Dilithium from the Specializations yet. :) So, just 'unscrewing' the XP situation would make me happy too. :)
    ^this. I didn't get any dil from Tau Dewa, didn't even know you could. Just restore XP to the way it was and unbuff the millions of HP enemies on elite. I'll be happy. Sure there will be a couple angry no life neckbeards upset that they cant farm their dil exploit anymore, but no one really cares about them.
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    cpc2011a wrote: »
    IF, and that's a big if, they were going to offer something to players to try to soothe us, it would more likely be some useless costume piece. Much the same as they did for neverwinter's early exchange exploit. Which by the way, was identical to STO's early exchange exploit. You just have to love copy/paste game coding. Especially when the initial broken code is never fixed.

that was the cause of most early issues in the game - they cut and pasted CO and called it a day. They even LIED about doing it but it was really obvious when some of the graphics and text came directly from CO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    that was the cause of most early issues in the game - they cut and pasted CO and called it a day. They even LIED about doing it but it was really obvious when some of the graphics and text came directly from CO.

Graphics, text, sound effects ... some stuff even came from old City of Heroes resources as I recall. More to the point, though, the shared resources came from the shared game engine and what was available to work with at the time: when you're a small shop you don't reinvent the wheel for each and every game.

The code bases have diverged over the years, of course. CO has their Nemesis system (which can be pretty cool) while STO and NW have the Foundry just as a for-instance.
    edited October 2014

I know lol. And the really funny thing is that the CO resources are still in the .hogg files for STO...but they didn't do that. Awesome and long history of dishonesty towards their customers.
  • rswfiredotcomrswfiredotcom Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited October 2014

You cannot soothe the community by giving them free stuff. Cryptic crossed a line that goes well beyond simple anger. They have violated the trust players have toward them. They can't earn that back from freebies. They can only earn that back from actions.

I could care less about the Dilithium, and I use a lot of it. We just finished all the projects to create our first Starbase, Embassy, Spire, AND Dilithium Mines -- a group of only three of us -- and that took hard work and a lot of materials. We did it and we'll keep doing it despite these changes. And also note that this weekend you can get double rewards so it's not hard to farm for this stuff.
    edited October 2014
    You cannot soothe the community by giving them free stuff. Cryptic crossed a line that goes well beyond simple anger. They have violated the trust players have toward them. They can't earn that back from freebies. They can only earn that back from actions.

I could care less about the Dilithium, and I use a lot of it. We just finished all the projects to create our first Starbase, Embassy, Spire, AND Dilithium Mines -- a group of only three of us -- and that took hard work and a lot of materials. We did it and we'll keep doing it despite these changes. And also note that this weekend you can get double rewards so it's not hard to farm for this stuff.

^^ This!

Besides, I don't give a Targ's behind about 200k free Dilithium: I easily blow that much on a day, just sneezing. What i *do* care about is having to grind again, for another month straight or so, at a 70% reduced rate, to get back where I already was yesterday! It's like taking away my lockbox ships, and telling me I now have to buy them back first. Ain't gonna happen!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • strykewolf67strykewolf67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Fixing the recurring, years old bugs would be a decent start. ;)
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

Sarah Knightly - Co-leader; Frontier Explorers - U.S.S. Witchblade
    Rias Gremory - Leader; Frontier Marauders - I.K.S. B'ullwinkle
  • rswfiredotcomrswfiredotcom Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ^^ This!

Besides, I don't give a Targ's behind about 200k free Dilithium: I easily blow that much on a day, just sneezing. What i *do* care about is having to grind again, for another month straight or so, at a 70% reduced rate, to get back where I already was yesterday! It's like taking away my lockbox ships, and telling me I now have to buy them back first. Ain't gonna happen!

This whole situation reminds me of something Amazon did. Amazon has a great reputation and some of the absolute best customer service in the world. They truly do. But they had one major TRIBBLE-up where they deliberately remotely wiped a book off of everyone's Kindle. No one even knew they had the ability to do this at the time. It caused a huge uproar and Amazon promised never to do it again. That is what Cryptic needs to do.

Also, I hate grinding. I mean, I absolutely hate it to the point I barely do it at all. If they nerfed rewards that much, in addition to taking away the new benefit of getting Dilithium after maxing out your specs, then they are just deliberately attacking the players out of spite.
  • varekraithvarekraith Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Nope. They need to change their whole approach to STO.
    Refocus on bugfixing and gameplay. No more of this blatant BS timegating and money grabbing.
  • ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    kelshando wrote: »
    Honestly.. there are not people quitting in droves.. the servers are not barren. there are a few very vocal whiners about how life is not fair.

Yes I would love another 100k or 200k but lets be honest its not about getting players back its about players not wanting to grind it and wanting instant gratification.

Like with every expansion you get the sky is falling crowed...

Were there some balance mistakes... sure but then again this is the 1st level increase they are bound to get a few things off balances and it takes time to fix... rather them fix it in slow small amounts then knee jerk (like what they did to Tau) and really throw things out of wack.

Wheres your numbers? Oh right you dont have any. Youre basing your opinion on running into full instances. Which can be extremely misleading.

There wont be any sign of things getting worse or better for atleast a month or two. If people quit left and right over this nonsense Cryptic will continue to bump up their campaign to bring people back in like this Lobi/Dilithium Weekend.

If not a lot of people quit then itll be the normal business practices.

So stop trying to pretend you know more then anyone else in this thread about where their Pop. Numbers are..
    edited October 2014
    Fixing the recurring, years old bugs would be a decent start.

I wish. Even bugs that were on the Known Issues list get swept under the rug. The rest get flat-out ignored.
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Considering I've seen instance numbers halve since the patch, I'd say a few people are pissed off. At the height of TD farming there was around 70+ instances of 50 players. Now it's been reduced to around 10-20. While DQ command has 2. Prior to patch I saw it hit 40+ instances in just DQ Command alone, that was after most people had started venturing into the DQ itself.

I'd LOVE to see the metrics they have on what's happening, as I'm pretty certain a whole bunch of very angry Chinese people will be yelling at some very disheartened and probably very tired tired staff at Cryptic...
    Whether it's Cryptic or PWE behind the cause of this mess, the result is the same, they screwed up royally.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yes but outrage is an easy thing to build with time. All that you need to do is NOT satisfy it and with the next issue [to achieve the same apparent impact] people go to greater extremes (because its not really about the specific outrage in question, its about the feeling of being outraged. You'll take what fodder you can get in order to create a self-rightous situation and for that [after the last one] to have any personal meaning it must follow a pattern akin to an addiction cycle.)

The amount of angst on a forum is not a useful, or even remotely valid, criterion with which to judge anything. Its just a record of how many people have chosen to use events surrounding a video game to their own self-satisfaction (see. the tone used most often around here.)

Right...Cause nothing has happened that should PO anyone off. You would know right? Youre the expert on what we should and shouldnt be angry about? Or that anger isnt natural or that it has no basis on anything?

People just want to be angry. They arent possibly able to get angry about something that is wrong. No thats ludicriousy.