test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Wow Cryptic stuck at lvl 52

jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
Is this a joke Cryptic? I was enjoying the flow of the story and now i can't advanced and have to grind up a lvl to move on? Talk about killing game flow. The story was really fun but i don't like grinding for little xp and i refuse to buy xp boost because i shouldn't have to.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    I've managed to reach 58 whilst only having to pick up one additional patrol mission outside of the delta quadrant story arc. And that was to earn around 2k xp I was short of. But saying that I'm running with the difficulty set to elite.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    ussackermanussackerman Member Posts: 275 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    I do think having only 1 mission for a level is inconsiderate, but here is what I did:

Lvl 50- Normal mode - Did first two DR mission and one FFA to get to 51.

Lvl51 - changed to Advanced Mode - Did next two missions, made it to 52.

Lvl 52 - Advanced Mode - Did the one level, Half way to 53, have done another FFA and replayed the final Patrol mission (Kobali) from "Enemies in all the Usual Places". Still not 53 yet, but I think it'll bump on the next PvE or Patrol.

Bumping the general difficulty helps leveling faster and I don't think I'm ready for Elite yet, but Advanced isn't too bad. ;)
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Eh, playing Normal the entire time, using numerous Doff missions to help out - never ran into a break in the flow once :)
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    bansheedragonbansheedragon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    How people manage to avoid doing a massive grind for each level advance, is beyond me.

Ever since i got to 52 I have been lucky to advance 1/2 level after finishing all missions for that level.
    I just finished all missions for 55, and I sill got 3/4 level left to get to 56.
    Given how little XP I get for anything I do and how insanely boring it is to repeatedly grinding the same stuff over and over again, I expect it to take me a days just to get 56.

I could probably go through all the story missions for all areas and still not advance more then 1-2 levels.

If they expect me to spend money buying Zen so I can buy XP boosters, they are sorely mistaken, unfortunately too many people will do just that which I suspect is exactly what they want us to do.

Having played the game on and off since Beta, there have been times when I didnt get enough XP to get a full level, but usually it was enough to just do a deep space encounter or red alert event to get enough to advance.
    Now however its the complete opposite, I get a little bit of XP and then have to spend the rest of the day grinding to the next level.
    It does not make me want to buy XP boosters, it makes me want to just log off and do something else.
  • Options
    chainfallchainfall Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The game specifically tells you that you need to grind between missions the first time it happens.
    STO would have been better as a Stargate MMO than it is as Star Trek. Go figure.

~Karona@Sobekeus
    Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Carrier Exterminatus
  • Options
    bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Very simple, play on Elite and use an 8 hour skill boost.
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Save some time and head back to Roman sector and do some missions, or go back to the Undine and fly around in there, head over to the voth and play pin the BIO-DIO. Head back to the PVE queue and do Borg Disconnect or run through Gorn Mine battle.

I don't feel like running these DR missions again. I have to run them 3 time for each Officer (FED, ROM, KDF) that's enough for me. The adventure zone my KDF was level 53 he's only need 14K more for level 54. My FED is already 54 heading for level 55. ROM I haven't got him past level 53 yet. It's a lot of work no matter how you change the game settings.

Adventure Zone if you darn to go up into the mountains and there are more tougher soldiers and there leaders are mean and tough. I found a way using my FED Sci Officer to take them all down and complete the Final Task doing that left me with 23K left for level 55.

I know everyone plays differently.. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    How people manage to avoid doing a massive grind for each level advance, is beyond me.

Ever since i got to 52 I have been lucky to advance 1/2 level after finishing all missions for that level.
    I just finished all missions for 55, and I sill got 3/4 level left to get to 56.
    Given how little XP I get for anything I do and how insanely boring it is to repeatedly grinding the same stuff over and over again, I expect it to take me a days just to get 56.

I could probably go through all the story missions for all areas and still not advance more then 1-2 levels.

If they expect me to spend money buying Zen so I can buy XP boosters, they are sorely mistaken, unfortunately too many people will do just that which I suspect is exactly what they want us to do.

Having played the game on and off since Beta, there have been times when I didnt get enough XP to get a full level, but usually it was enough to just do a deep space encounter or red alert event to get enough to advance.
    Now however its the complete opposite, I get a little bit of XP and then have to spend the rest of the day grinding to the next level.
    It does not make me want to buy XP boosters, it makes me want to just log off and do something else.
    The Doff system gives out XP, and regularly doing such missions adds up pretty quick

I've used it regularly, and never needed to grind at all during the story missions.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    trek21 wrote: »
    The Doff system gives out XP, and regularly doing such missions adds up pretty quick

I've used it regularly, and never needed to grind at all during the story missions.

Doffing is working out pretty good for me too.

Not to mention I earned and sold 6 million ec worth of crafting mats from doffing alone yesterday.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Yeah, I've got a couple characters who I haven't done any DR content on yet who are already 51. And that's just refreshing their doff missions once a day.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Eh, playing Normal the entire time, using numerous Doff missions to help out - never ran into a break in the flow once

Are you talking 1-50 or 50-60 ... hard to believe you got to 60 within 4 days of Doffing and playing stuff on normal ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    bridgern wrote: »
    Very simple, play on Elite and use an 8 hour skill boost.

as someone who did that OP, let me tell you, you'll start HATING DR(i hope you like to fight heavy artillery vessels with 950k hp and absurd shielding).
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Are you talking 1-50 or 50-60 ... hard to believe you got to 60 within 4 days of Doffing and playing stuff on normal ...
    50-60 of course; many of my toons are pretty long-runners, except for the newest ones by comparison. Even a string of ten low-XP Doff missions can make a big difference, added up to the mission XP values, plus combat ship destruction XP, and so on.

And if you think 4 days to lvl 60 is crazy, you should have seen the ones who got to lvl 60 3 hours after DR's launch by doing Elite stuff :D
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    And if you think 4 days to lvl 60 is crazy, you should have seen the ones who got to lvl 60 3 hours after DR's launch by doing Elite stuff :D

That's something I can understand, but it doesn't work for me with just Doffing (+DQ Missions) ... still stuck pretty much every Level ... with 20/20 Assigments all the time ...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    That's something I can understand, but it doesn't work for me with just Doffing (+DQ Missions) ... still stuck pretty much every Level ... with 20/20 Assigments all the time ...
    Well, perhaps you're rushing through the missions too quickly? After all, merely looking at the mission list shows only one mission at lvl 52, and I think one at 53

That being said, there are numerous other patrols to go through, rather than just the story ones. Perhaps you might try them?
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What is the OP on about!? I leveled to 60 in a day or so. Yawn. And needing to buy XP boosts to get to lv 52?!? Nope, you're doing it wrong.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    glassguitarglassguitar Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm lvl 60+10 and haven't done a story mission yet after the first one. Japori System Patrol on Elite FTW. Have eight ships fully mastered as well.
  • Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    What is the OP on about!? I leveled to 60 in a day or so. Yawn. And needing to buy XP boosts to get to lv 52?!? Nope, you're doing it wrong.

Are we to believe you leveled up with the actual content or that you powerleveled in the queues?
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    have to agree. I was a little surprised about how suddenly you have nothing else to do. I tried to patrol without a mission and nothing. Weird. And then I went and did one of the borg missions leveled and came back to suddenly find that there was only 1 mission, so I had to rince repeat.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Well, perhaps you're rushing through the missions too quickly? After all, merely looking at the mission list shows only one mission at lvl 52, and I think one at 53

That being said, there are numerous other patrols to go through, rather than just the story ones. Perhaps you might try them?

Except doing Patrols in the DQ is a horrible waste of time ... the XP/Time ratio is way better in Tau Dewa ... besides I don't consider "Shoot 5 Waves of ..." actual Story Content, that might have been the misunderstanding here ...

... I was under the impression "Doffing" was supposed to be a big part of your XP-progress, though ... not Patrols

PS : Afaik pretty much every Patrol Mission is tied into the "Story" -> ~40 DQ Star Systems total -> 5 Wrapper Missions including 5 Patrols every time = 25 ... + ~10 Story Missions +2 Hubs ... not much Star Systems left here ... so please enlighten me ...
  • Options
    archerfanaticarcherfanatic Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    sto has the quickest leveling experience of any mmo i've played in the last 9 years, even without the old mirror invasion which was just great (3 levels in an hour? yes please) don't see how people are having this problem unless they are playing on EZ-mode, which is similar to Gimme-mode, but involves slightly more effort.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    sto has the quickest leveling experience of any mmo i've played in the last 9 years, even without the old mirror invasion which was just great (3 levels in an hour? yes please) don't see how people are having this problem unless they are playing on EZ-mode, which is similar to Gimme-mode, but involves slightly more effort.

It's not about the "quickest" it's about "tolerable" ... I wouldn't mind leveling from 50-60 for the entire next year, if there were interesting Missions to play ... but just shootin Waves of Enemies 75% of the time ... meeeeeh no thanks ...
  • Options
    archerfanaticarcherfanatic Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    but just shootin Waves of Enemies 75% of the time ... meeeeeh no thanks ...

oh i understand that. DR has been very lackluster so far. cryptic should look up the terms 'expansion' vs 'patch', because that's all this is playing as.
  • Options
    bansheedragonbansheedragon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Rushing has nothing to do with it.
    It dont matter how long you take to do the missions, they dont give more XP if you take longer to do them.
    They give the same amount no matter how long you take.

I have been doing some DOFFing on and off even before DR, but it was never really my thing.
    I feel that I am being forced to do something I do not find enjoyable just to progress, can anyone here give me a good reason why I should do something I dont like or dont find enjoyable just to progress?

I also tried doing the patrols outside the missions, and they give a minimal amount of XP, at best I can get 1 bar filled, and having to repeat that 10 times just to get to the next level is not something that falls into my category of fun and enjoyable gameplay.

That some people have been able to do it easily and quickly is great, its nice to know that some people can do it, unfortunately that does not change the fact that some people will and are struggling.
    Not everyone here are able to run every mission on elite, find DOFFing enjoyable enough to do it, or want to or even can afford to buy XP boosters, there should be alternatives other than doing massive boring grinds.
  • Options
    olliereportolliereport Member Posts: 721
    edited October 2014
    yeah, I got stuck at 55. I was so surprised, I was like ... .... what? I have to level to complete the story???

I got stuck later than most people because I like to doff and run a little pve que games and do a couple dailies ... but I got stuck none the less. It doesn't matter when the story is interrupted for you, at 51 52 53 whatever. The fact that it was interrupted at all is complete junk.

__worst__ decision ever
  • Options
    saxmanusmcsaxmanusmc Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Running the episode mission on elite difficulty is the way to go. The skill point reward just for taking down enemies is ~5 times what you get in advanced difficulty. It is a challenge though, and a challenge that I am personally loving!

I am just about to hit lvl 56 and I have only done a couple STF's and went back and did "A Step Between the Stars" since I somehow missed it.
    FA Janin Delwynn - Fed Tac Officer
    FA Dion - Romulan Engineer Officer
    FA Zophie Delwynn - Fed Science Officer
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    better to give people the quest regardless,

if it's too high level for them, make the quest entry in the log yellow or red to indicate difficulty

let people try it, and if it works great, they have a sense of accomplishment

and if it doesn't people get the message and go out and level
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    better to give people the quest regardless,

if it's too high level for them, make the quest entry in the log yellow or red to indicate difficulty

let people try it, and if it works great, they have a sense of accomplishment

and if it doesn't people get the message and go out and level

if I make another char that's exactly what I'll do

but

really

this issue won't ever come up again ... I'll be level 60 before I get past the 20th mission, far before ever hitting delta content
  • Options
    purvee1purvee1 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I just hit one of those operational pauses. I grinded up to Lvl 53 earlier and now for the new missions!

It gave me two bars on the EXP bar, and then I'm told to sod off until level 54.

I'm now standing outside the generals office on Kobali prime, and the plaza is crowded. I can see about 6 other captains all standing around with guns drawn and a "well what the hell do I do now?" air about them. I don't think anyone expected this.
  • Options
    xaramanxaraman Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Here's the problem that I see,

In the games default difficulty setting, there's not enough XP/SP to keep levelling with the story. If you up the setting to elite you make enough XP, but for the more casual player this becomes not enough reward for too much effort (and probably frustrating on top of it).

If you set it at easy, then you either have to grind patrols, pay for an XP boost or doff. Leaving the zen option out for the moment, grinding and doffing are poor excuses for content. Content we are paying for with upgrade tokens and new ships.

The default difficulty set by the game should give enough XP to level with the story. If that means they need to add content to these new missions to provide that XP, then so be it. But not to do that is just lazy production and design.

Now, the caveat may be that when you start a char from scratch, you won't have this issue. But at least provide some sort of XP boost for existing chars, so it makes the experience between 50-60 more enjoyable.

Cheers!