test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

would you prefer a pay for expansion?

vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,912 Arc User
it's unbelievable.. the constant crying on these forums.

"THERE'S NO NEW CONTENT"
"IT'S TOO EASY"
WHEN CAN WE RAISE THE LEVEL CAP?"

so here it is. and people are crying

so I put it to you. Should DR have been a paid for expansion like WoW does?

continue adding the odd level 50 missions/episodes for the Alpha quadrant, and level 60 in the DR paid for content.. or something like that?

what's the solution? I know your TRIBBLE ship is no longer the OP machine. that's the nature of it. Remember when the Excelsior Cruiser and Defiant-R were the bleeding edge OP? then came fleets.. and lockboxes.

the only problem is how to get the hero ships to level 6-6.5 / whatever.

or just learn to embrace change.
sig.jpg
Post edited by vetteguy904 on

Comments

• cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I embrace the change, drink the Kool aid, and I am enjoying the game!

Serious note: Good post!
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited October 2014

"THERE'S NO NEW CONTENT"
    "IT'S TOO EASY"

continue adding the odd level 50 missions/episodes for the Alpha quadrant, and level 60 in the DR paid for content.. or something like that?

what's the solution? I know your TRIBBLE ship is no longer the OP machine. that's the nature of it. Remember when the Excelsior Cruiser and Defiant-R were the bleeding edge OP? then came fleets.. and lockboxes.

I like the current model. I can play most of it for free and pay for what I want. Looking at Wow and other games expansions cost 49.99.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    no one would pay for nerfs and 17 story missions and grind upgrades so dont compare a sto xpack to a wow xpack that will have tons more to do in it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • john53ajohn53a Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    honestly there will always be crying and moaning. To me i think the prices for t-6 ships are a bit high and not everyone can buy them etc. It seems this game is turning out to be just for rich people. I guess Cryptic thinks everyone is rich and can pay to win there are some who do not play this way but you more or less have to to enjoy the game.
    I guess i have been away from game too long but before it was enjoyable now its like spend your money or you will not be able to enjoy this game.
  • admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,561 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No, I like to see an expansion where the devs LISTEN to the customers.
  • darkdog13darkdog13 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Except with a paid for expansion you don't have half the content locked behind a paygate.

It is $30 for ONE pile of pixels (ship) with no free alternatives that same $30 in a paid for expansion gives you new classes/races and more then just 17 new story missions and a couple new stf's.

This "expansion" was really just a whole bunch of dilithium/zen sinks to get players to empty their pockets.
  • varthelmvarthelm Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Yes, absolutely, wholeheartely 100%. I'd pay $60 for an expansion to not have to deal with the timegate-extortion that is this new system.

Although like WoW...any game that keeps raising the level cap has got to go from my playlist. I'll deal with this one...but probably not the next.
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Embrace the change.
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited October 2014

people crying about people crying on these forums.

oh and

people crying about people crying about people crying on these forums.

it just goes on and on. get over it if you are not crying about something in the forums your not trying hard enough.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The Tears makes my master stronger, he shall rise again, and burn the entire Alpha Quadrant
    GwaoHAD.png
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2014

"THERE'S NO NEW CONTENT"
    "IT'S TOO EASY"

That's right, individuals of a particular group have varying opinions.

...you act surprised.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    That's right, individuals of a particular group have varying opinions.

...you act surprised.

Wait, we are not Borg?

Then what's with the voices in my head?:confused:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    icsairguns wrote: »

I'm usually one to think that this forum is being too negative.

Not here. The cacophony is justified.
    edited October 2014
    Without the Star Trek ip this game would not have lasted nearly as long as it has.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    darkdog13 wrote: »
    Except with a paid for expansion you don't have half the content locked behind a paygate.

It is $30 for ONE pile of pixels (ship) with no free alternatives that same $30 in a paid for expansion gives you new classes/races and more then just 17 new story missions and a couple new stf's.

This "expansion" was really just a whole bunch of dilithium/zen sinks to get players to empty their pockets.

No, they just lock it behind RNGs is all.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    icsairguns wrote: »
    people crying about people crying on these forums.
    oh and
    people crying about people crying about people crying on these forums.
    it just goes on and on. get over it if you are not crying about something in the forums your not trying hard enough.

Hmm, you mentioning all that... doesn't that make you the worst crier? :D
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • redz4twredz4tw Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2014
    Hmm, you mentioning all that... doesn't that make you the worst crier? :D
    Fair point haha. Oh heaven forbid there be logic and reason in the forums. You're not gonna make everyone happy, end of story. But at the end of the day, we're all gonna play STO, because it's fun, and we're trekkies.
  • ayradyssayradyss Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Honestly, maybe it actually would be better if they had pay-to-play expansions. I say this as a person who doesn't have a lot of money to throw at these games. But everything I've seen -- since story content doesn't actually make them money (directly) the focus is all on grind content and lockboxes.

If it would mean their focus would be on creating lots of quality content and not on the grind-o-rama style play and lockboxes . . . yes, maybe I would actually rather pay for a content expansion. Food for thought.
    Live long, and prosper.
    edited October 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I like the current model. I can play most of it for free and pay for what I want. Looking at Wow and other games expansions cost 49.99.

WoW expansion is actually cheap, it's the subscription that costs you. If there's 2yrs between expansions then you'll spend an extra $300-$360 on top of the $50 for the actual expansion.

So you could play WoW, get NO goodies you didn't grind out for in-game currencies or have 35,000 Zen (42350 - if bought during a sale) to spend on goodies in STO.

But there is the question of quality, amount of content and value. (And maybe how much keeping the F2P riff-raff out is worth?) :D I'll leave those calculations up to you.

Personally, I liked how STO was being developed before F2P. It just seemed that they cared more about making a good product than just a grind-fest. They actually made cosmetic things like bridge packs, costumes, emotes and alternate ship parts. Things that didn't make the C-store a P2W store.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    With only 10 Story Missions in something called Expansion ... I certainly would pay for "Mission Content Packs" within the C-Store (or something similar) ... that's the only thing you don't have to pay right now anyway ... the other stuff within this "Expansion" you already have to pay for (well at least kind of) ....
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • tcostiktcostik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Should DR have been a paid for expansion like WoW does?

No, it shouldn't be. If STO ever goes to P2P, that'll be the update that makes me quit. I support the game by buying ships and other C-Store gear.

Frankly, I don't trust Cryptic/PWE/the Devs to deliver a quality product that I would be willing to pay for. We have source code that's so fragmented and buggy that they can't fix bugs without introducing new bugs (see the most recent patch notes,) bugs that should have been fixed years ago but weren't, and stuff that the devs can't figure out how to change, because a previous dev worked on it and they aren't with the company anymore.

Do you really think Cryptic can put out a expansion that is worth actual money?
    edited October 2014
    Sooner or later they will start charging for expansions. That's when the ranters should really hold off until. :P

Why? Do you think the ranters will run out of ranting before then?
  • xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited October 2014

"THERE'S NO NEW CONTENT"
    "IT'S TOO EASY"

I would buy future expansions actually provided the devs listen to the tribble testers and actually take casual players into consideration when changing things significantly.

if they did that id buy it.

that being said I just wanna reply to your "mock" up of what people have been raging about.

Theres no new content: I haven't seen that type of rage on this game in quite some time not since before LoR anyway.

Its too easy: As the saying goes in the economies of countries, blame the 1%ers. I.e the hardcore nut-jobs who only care about their experience and not the communities.

Level cap: Meh everyone knew it was coming again havent seen this in a while.

Generally though I think this is what's wrong with the F2P model it simply just doesn't add quality.

I know a lot of people seem to hate ESO for instance but the quality of content they produce is epic beyond belief and they actually fix things.

So yeah I think STO should start charging for its expansions starting with the next one. Provided they prove to us within the next two weeks that they listen and will fix the problems otherwise it will be pointless and people wont pay albeit the casual vets like myself + others as well as the hardcore players.
    edited October 2014
    but here is the kicker PWE never going to let paid content outside of gear / ships and tokens and to be frank why we get less story content and more rep 5 min well now 20 min grind mission most of this xpack outside of the level cap increase and the 17 new story mission that not locked behind some rep grind you would have got in a season

as that saying goes get what you paid for
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited October 2014
    I would pay $30 for an expansion if all ships were obtained with in game currency (aka ec)
    (the dilithium exchange is simply buying zen from someone who has purchased it from PWE already)

I find packs like the delta rising to be insane $125 for 9 ships and some other trinkets.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Sure... I am going to follow under the bridge and take the bait:

By now: Yes... I would much rather pay for an expansion, than sit on the sideline and get left behind like I am right now.

With neither the time or the money to upgrade my ship, I am seriously stuck, and can't bring myself to go into STF's, knowing that my ship is so far behind par, that I would be a inconvenience to anyone I went into battle with.

So yea, if I got the free access to ship upgrades, I'd pay for an expansion, with a simile.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • suldrasuldra Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    no one would pay for nerfs and 17 story missions and grind upgrades so dont compare a sto xpack to a wow xpack that will have tons more to do in it

The irony of this argument is that the WoW players cried just as much as the STO players so it is a relevant comparison.
    edited October 2014
    suldra wrote: »
    it is a relevant comparison.

nah think that if you like ;)

you want quality meaningful content your going to have to pay for it or you have a game like sto
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • dreaper1985dreaper1985 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have never had an OP ship the vesta does have the potential but the HGW does not as I even in my Engineer Rom play a science build. Now the fact I have to grind normal ohh lets not forget now Gear/Dil mission for dil thx alot for that ans try to acquire the rare and very rare mate foe R& ****ing D. They should have put it like this

Normal - LEAVE IT BEEEEEE DILL REWARD AND ALL

Elite(ADVANCED) - RENAME SEEN THIS COMINGHELLO ADVANCED R&D REWARD PACKS NOT TRIBBLE THE POOCH ALL FOR PPL WITH 35-50 DPS HELLO I FLY A TRYING NOT TO USE FOWL LANGUAGE SCIENCE SHIP FOR CROWD CONTROL A@@HOLE SO NO I WASN'T CRYING IT WAS EASY I AM THE ONE WHO BLEW UP ALOT. LEAVE DIL REWARD ALONE ITS JUSTIFIED FOR THE EFFORT.

Elite - SET IT TO LEVEL 60 EQUIREMENTS TO PLAY AND INCREASE DIL REWARD TO 1480 AND PREVIOUS NORMAL WAS 480 PREVIOUS ELITE WAS 980, FOR THOSE WHO ARE FAN BOOOOOYYYYSSSS OR LIKE BROWN NOSES THERES A TREND HERE 500 INCREASE ON DIFFICULTY HELL CANT REFINE MORE THEN 8K POSSIBLY 9K CERTAIN PPL.

So to close my statement I am seriously downloading SWTOR on my comp right now as one would expect this level of throw you in the trash treatment from them and at least PLAYERS DECISIONS HAVE IMPACT ON STORY LINE. So no I will notplay the new TRIBBLE story line not even for Jerry Ryans parts or suffer thru 1000k plus fail pub matches all because a few select people on TRIBBLE WITH HELP OF THE REQ CONSOLE DPS'D THE TRIBBLE OUT OF THE ADVANCED AND ELITE hello in holodeck unless the pocket and banks are essentially well of money to spare like top 1% then no I for one can not ever hope to achieve ALLLLLLLL GOOLLLDDDD status in my life time.
  • dreaper1985dreaper1985 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ayradyss wrote: »
    Honestly, maybe it actually would be better if they had pay-to-play expansions. I say this as a person who doesn't have a lot of money to throw at these games. But everything I've seen -- since story content doesn't actually make them money (directly) the focus is all on grind content and lockboxes.

If it would mean their focus would be on creating lots of quality content and not on the grind-o-rama style play and lockboxes . . . yes, maybe I would actually rather pay for a content expansion. Food for thought.

Completely agree even on my limited budget SWTOR treats me better then the PAYWALL of endless sleep inducing grind.