test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bait and Switch Tactics Involving Eclipse Intel Cruiser

castigercastiger Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2014 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e345/john_schillo1/NewBitmapImage2_zpsda83d743.jpg
This picture clearly show's that the Eclipse Intel Cruiser does not have a Lt Cmdr Science Seat, it has a Lt Science seat, yet in the zen store it says you are gonna get a Lt Cmdr Science Seat when you purchase it with your 3000 zen, which could've been bought with real money. So basicly you buy it, believing the description is true, and after you spent your money, you find out it is not.

Now I want to know where my Lt Cmdr Science Seat is, can anyone tell me?

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
Post edited by castiger on

Comments

• darthhammerdarthhammer Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    First off, shouldn't this be in General Discussions or something since its not a bug report?

And more importantly, that's obviously a typo/error in the C-store.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/7004293

They stated it was a Lt. Science station back when the previews came out.
  • castigercastiger Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So it's okay to spend 3000 zen on the same person's "typo" who has a pocket full of my zen, and won't give it back? This is completely unjust. Most people don't even look at those previews, they just buy from the zen store, right now, 100's of players are throwing their money away thinking they'll have a Lt Cmdr Science Seat, that is not okay at all, and they're not going to be refunded either. Without a Lt Cmdr Science Seat it is not possible to equip a Gravity Well, which is that purple/black hole that pulls enemies in, most people get the ship for this reason.
    edited October 2014
    castiger wrote: »
    So it's okay to spend 3000 zen on the same person's "typo" who has a pocket full of my zen, and won't give it back? This is completely unjust. Most people don't even look at those previews, they just buy from the zen store, right now, 100's of players are throwing their money away thinking they'll have a Lt Cmdr Science Seat, that is not okay at all, and they're not going to be refunded either. Without a Lt Cmdr Science Seat it is not possible to equip a Gravity Well, which is that purple/black hole that pulls enemies in, most people get the ship for this reason.

/Sigh... here we go.

The person responsible for that typo isn't 'pocketing' your Zen. You're behaving like they personally stole your money, which is ridiculous. And if you bought a $30 ship just for the science seat and didn't do your research that's your fault, not theirs. Let the buyer beware and all that.

You should have just reported this as a bug/error (which it is) rather than ranting about it like it was some ploy to get you to spend your money.
  • cuisicuisi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    /Sigh... here we go.

The person responsible for that typo isn't 'pocketing' your Zen. You're behaving like they personally stole your money, which is ridiculous. And if you bought a $30 ship just for the science seat and didn't do your research that's your fault, not theirs. Let the buyer beware and all that.

You should have just reported this as a bug/error (which it is) rather than ranting about it like it was some ploy to get you to spend your money.

Yeah whatever fanboi. Is it really so unreasonable to refund pixel money for a ship that he is unsatisfied with in the name of customer service? It's not as though any of it is tangible.
    edited October 2014
    /Sigh... here we go.

1.Many people spend real money to get zen, for a ship they want, are you saying their money wasn't taken for a ship that didn't have what it said it would?

2.Didn't do my research? I read the whole description, it clearly states Lt Commander Science Seat, I look at the product description, not some old advertisement

3.I guess you didn't see the fact that this is the Gameplay Bug Reports section.

4.If they don't refund peoples money after they spent it on their "typo" then it is a ploy to get money now isn't it?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=19961471#post19961471
    Here is some more people who lost their money due to this "typo" All people who thoroughly researched the ship in its description, like you do with any other ship.
  • cosmicsunwindcosmicsunwind Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    1.Many people spend real money to get zen, for a ship they want, are you saying their money wasn't taken for a ship that didn't have what it said it would?

2.Didn't do my research? I read the whole description, it clearly states Lt Commander Science Seat, I look at the product description, not some old advertisement

3.I guess you didn't see the fact that this is the Gameplay Bug Reports section.

4.If they don't refund peoples money after they spent it on their "typo" then it is a ploy to get money now isn't it?

Here is some more people who lost their money due to this "typo" All people who thoroughly researched the ship in its description, like you do with any other ship.

rekt

10char
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2014

It would have been a bug report if you had said 'hey look there's a typo here' instead of 'ERMEGERD THEY STOLE MY MONEY WITH THIS EVIL TYPO.' Instead it was just an angry rant.

And here you are, still acting like a typo was somehow an intentional decision to try and take your money. Yes they said, 'hey look at this castiger guy, lets take his money!'

And its well within their right as a company to not refund something. They should fix the typo yes, but they're not obligated to return your money if they don't do refunds.
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It is not "Bait and Switch" . . . it is poor quality assurance.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • sohtohsohtoh Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    /Sigh... here we go.

First let me say that I do not have a stake in this discussion one way or another. This is from an unbiased third party.

Actually, it is not a 'Let the buyer beware' situation. It just takes one instance of an incorrect advertisement for the buyer to have a valid case for a refund, even if the advertisement is wrong. The display for the ship in the Zen store counts as an advertisement. There does not have to be any further research on the part of the consumer.

For example, if you go into a brick and mortar and you notice a sign showing an item as 2 for $1. You get two of item and go to the check out only for the cashier to ring you up for $4. The cashier tells you that the sign was a mistake and is actually 1 for $2. The cashier then pulls out the store flyer which shows the item is for one dollar. Do you cough up the extra money because you didn't see the flyer? No, you can get the two items for one dollar. Any advertisement, even an incorrect one, has to be honored by the merchant. If the merchant cannot provide what was advertised, then a refund is required by law.

If anyone actually made the purchase based on solely the Zen Store's advertisement and wished to get their money back for it, Cryptic or Perfect World (who ever runs the Zen Store) would be legally obligated to refund the purchase.

Now if they would still refuse, legal action could be taken if so desired.
    "I'm not big on telepaths myself. I'm not big on guns either. But if everyone else has them, I want to make sure I can get my hands on the biggest one I can."
    edited October 2014
    sohtoh wrote: »
    First let me say that I do not have a stake in this discussion one way or another. This is from an unbiased third party.

Actually, it is not a 'Let the buyer beware' situation. It just takes one instance of an incorrect advertisement for the buyer to have a valid case for a refund, even if the advertisement is wrong. The display for the ship in the Zen store counts as an advertisement. There does not have to be any further research on the part of the consumer.

For example, if you go into a brick and mortar and you notice a sign showing an item as 2 for $1. You get two of item and go to the check out only for the cashier to ring you up for $4. The cashier tells you that the sign was a mistake and is actually 1 for $2. The cashier then pulls out the store flyer which shows the item is for one dollar. Do you cough up the extra money because you didn't see the flyer? No, you can get the two items for one dollar. Any advertisement, even an incorrect one, has to be honored by the merchant. If the merchant cannot provide what was advertised, then a refund is required by law.

If anyone actually made the purchase based on solely the Zen Store's advertisement and wished to get their money back for it, Cryptic or Perfect World (who ever runs the Zen Store) would be legally obligated to refund the purchase.

Now if they would still refuse, legal action could be taken if so desired.

Well that depends. Cryptic and PWE are in California, but Perfect World itself is a Chinese company.

And its unclear even from the beginning who exactly is 'selling' the C-store items since it's a virtual commodity. While Cryptic and PWE have to follow California law, Perfect World does not, and any legal action against the former two would likely involve Perfect World itself, which would make said action much more complicated and difficult.

At this point they're probably going to either ignore these complaints (all the more likely given their tone) or simply add the unintentionally advertised BOFF slot to the Eclipse.
  • tamerlanekathultamerlanekathul Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Since I believe the Zen store is run by Perfect World, and they're based in Bejing, China, I find it difficult to believe they'd be forced to abide by United States advertising laws. Also, since it's China and a good portion of their economy is based around creating forgeries for United States consumers I can't see them giving so much as a glance in false advertising laws.

Edit: what darthhammer said.
  • xaramanxaraman Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    However, the server farm you connect to (and connect through the CStore to) is in the US. US law probably is applicable here.

However, please remember what you are buying. You are buying Zen. That's it. As long as you receive the Zen in your game wallet, then the transaction has been honoured. The digital goods you receive by trading your zen are technically inconsequential (it's just 1 digital product for another). Now, there maybe some loopholes when it comes to digital gaming goods, but in general digital gaming goods acquired like this aren't covered under consumer law. They're covered under your T&C.

South Korea has this covered though.

Cheers!
    edited October 2014
    Well that depends. Cryptic and PWE are in California, but Perfect World itself is a Chinese company.

And its unclear even from the beginning who exactly is 'selling' the C-store items since it's a virtual commodity. While Cryptic and PWE have to follow California law, Perfect World does not, and any legal action against the former two would likely involve Perfect World itself, which would make said action much more complicated and difficult.

At this point they're probably going to either ignore these complaints (all the more likely given their tone) or simply add the unintentionally advertised BOFF slot to the Eclipse.

While I don't know the exact corporate laws regarding companies that do business in other countries, I only know from my personal experiences. I had bought something from a Chinese company through Amazon, but it arrived damaged. The company that sold it to me refused to replace the item or refund my money. However, I complained to Amazon about it and shortly after I received a refund. The Amazon rep I spoke with on the phone basically told me that because the Chinese company deals with American customers, even through a third party such as themselves they were still bound by our laws when doing business here.

But I think that you are right and they will just ignore the complaints, I don't think they would make the Lt Sci a LtC.
    "I'm not big on telepaths myself. I'm not big on guns either. But if everyone else has them, I want to make sure I can get my hands on the biggest one I can."
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
    In all fairness, the OP is quite right.

Cryptic must either refund the purchase, or update the ship accordingly. Unless Cryptic has some visible indication during the transaction that all sales are final, California law then applies, and the OP has thirty days in which to apply for a refund.

(Hint: Print off a copy of the transfer of zen from your dad's account)

California consumer law is typical of most juresdictions, and does have exemptions for foods, all sales final etc., but does not limit itself in terms of electronic sales.

You can file a complaint with the state Attorney Generals Office.

My personal hope is that they update the ship. 'WOW' would be my response.
  • nazelnagnazelnag Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    And if you bought a $30 ship just for the science seat and didn't do your research that's your fault, not theirs.

O'RLY ? :) ... so in the shop says it's a Lt Commander "typo" and he looks at it and thinks "i can do some satisfying build with this" and buys the ship, and then, he realises it's not what is advertised in the Shop ... and it's his fault ? he should have researched it better ?

that's a great service indeed, advert what ever appeals a possible costumer and don't deliver it.

so if you go buy a TV and you open the box and get a toaster, it's you're fault because you were too bisy looking at the big TV picture and didn't red the small print saying : "the big TV picture is just a bait and switch, were actually selling a toaster for the price of a TV" and it's you're fault ?

- not everyone has the time and patience to research the huge amount of information posted during a "certain time period" to verify and compare with everything, and some status change, it says on the posts "this status might be subjected to changes"

so, you would expect that the end information displayed at the store would be as accurate as possible and a difference between a Lt. Commander or a LT. + ensign is significant.
    on one side, we have the bonus of a "LVL 3 skill" VS the bonus of a "2nd BOF" and most times, the lvl 3 skill is more appealing.

it's not his fault by reading and interpreting the information displayed on the item description as being correct, and he probably wouldn't have bought it if the information was correct as it should.

the interesting part, is ... wouldn't it make more sense and sell better if it was a LT. Commander instead ?
  • xaramanxaraman Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    all sales are final
    But here's the problem,

You got what you paid for. You paid for Zen and you received them.
    edited October 2014
    xaraman wrote: »
    However, the server farm you connect to (and connect through the CStore to) is in the US. US law probably is applicable here.

However, please remember what you are buying. You are buying Zen. That's it. As long as you receive the Zen in your game wallet, then the transaction has been honoured. The digital goods you receive by trading your zen are technically inconsequential (it's just 1 digital product for another). Now, there maybe some loopholes when it comes to digital gaming goods, but in general digital gaming goods acquired like this aren't covered under consumer law. They're covered under your T&C.

South Korea has this covered though.

Cheers!

So in summary, you're dealing with a Foreign company, and you are trying to get a refund for a digital commodity that was purchased with another digital commodity.

The chances of actually getting that refund are near zero.
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What they will do is change the z store description.

They wont refund the money as they do not track the zen and since the zen can be gotten in game for dilithium. Cryptic/PWE wont touch this. Yes you bought zen with money. but since there is no tracking of zen bought with money or Dilithium they will say that there is no proof that the zen used to purchase this was bought with money.

not to mention that the terms of service state they can change anything at any time. So even if you got it with the LTC seat two days later the could drop it back to the Lt and you still would have no recourse.

This has been brought up many times before and the same result every time.

Good luck op your fighting a battle up an overhanging cliff.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • nativejoenativejoe Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You bought the zen. You received your Zen. End of legal conversation.

Remember back in the day when you could purchase diablo 2 items via pay pal?

You bought your items, you never received your items, then you wanted a refund and paypal said "virtual items are imaginary items, and we cannot verify you did not receive a imaginary item. therefor you will not receive any refund? Well the same applies here.

Any further complaining or threats will probably result in a terms of service violation and they'll just perma ban your account for the in-convenience of your whining.

its unfair, its mean, and unethical...but thats what the world is. If I where you I would stop blubbering, get over it, take the space trait, and wait for something better to come out. You know these first ships suck anyway, And not risk your account over a false advertisement.

Which btw this company is famous for shafting its player base, blatant false advertisement, and breaking promises of exclusivity and price. Go to Any business quality assurance website and look up perfect world studios and you'll see their business practice/business ethics is as low as it can possibly go. (sad I know, but true never the less)
  • jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    First off, shouldn't this be in General Discussions or something since its not a bug report?

And more importantly, that's obviously a typo/error in the C-store.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/7004293

They stated it was a Lt. Science station back when the previews came out.

Sorry, but that link is the least reliable source of information you can use to base your decision whether to buy the ship or not.

I think the OP should get his Zen back. The C-Store should be the most up to date info on all items being sold. He should have gotten what was advertised or given a refund.

All STO Blogs with a disclaimer at the end of it should be considered an unreliable source. The disclaimer protects PWE from any oops and misprints found in the blog post.

So if you see this:

DISCLAIMER: All information in this blog post is subject to change.

And you base your decision off of that, then, don’t start crying if you get something different.

Blog posts should not be used to make your final decision
  • bandraoi44bandraoi44 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    And if you were smart enough you bought those diablo items with a credit card linked to your paypal account and initiated a chargeback then paypal had to chase the seller, seen it done it
  • minerkminerk Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    PWE Terms of Service

24. Fees
    24.2ANY APPLICABLE ZEN, FEES AND OTHER CHARGES ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE AND NON REFUNDABLE. ZEN HAVE NO MONETARY VALUE AND CANNOT BE REDEEMED FOR CASH. ZEN AND THE RIGHT TO USE APPLICABLE ZEN ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE, IN WHOLE OR PART. THE RIGHT TO USE ZEN IS AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE LICENSE TO USE THE SERVICE AND GAME.

29. Disclaimer of Warranties
    THE SERVICE, THE GAMES, THE WEBSITE AND ALL MATERIALS CONTAINED THEREIN ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.

PWE DOES NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT THE SERVICE, THE GAMES, THE WEBSITE OR THE MATERIALS CONTAINED THEREIN ARE ACCURATE, COMPLETE, RELIABLE, AVAILABLE, CURRENT OR ERROR-FREE.
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't think that the terms of service matter. If the OP feels deceived by an incorrect product description, then (to this layman), they probably have a case. It Texas, I think that you can go for triple damages ($90, woo hoo!), and you could probably do it in small claims court.
    If you do go that route, and you manage to collect, let us know.
    (It doesn't matter that PWE's a Chinese company. They do business in the U.S. and have assets in the U.S. As long as that's the case, they have to follow U.S. law in the States.)

I'm not a lawyer, and all my knowledge of the law's from talking to other people. Take my legal advice at your own risk. I wouldn't.
    Also, I lie.
  • khenaliankhenalian Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Since I believe the Zen store is run by Perfect World, and they're based in Bejing, China, I find it difficult to believe they'd be forced to abide by United States advertising laws. Also, since it's China and a good portion of their economy is based around creating forgeries for United States consumers I can't see them giving so much as a glance in false advertising laws.

Edit: what darthhammer said.

Perfect World has its headquarters in China, but they do business in the United States as a Delaware Corporation. They are also registered with the California Secretary of State, which they are required to do in order to conduct business in the State of California, regardless of whether they are headquartered elsewhere.

So yes, they are subject to the laws of the United States regarding how they conduct their business. The user, however, is subject to whatever EULA they agreed to when they started playing or created their account. It is incorrect, however, to assume that players are subject to Chinese law when the transactions are being conducted by a Delaware corporation.
  • khenaliankhenalian Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    BTW, OP, I would recommend filing another GM requesting a refund as the product you received was not what was delivered to you, and if you fail to receive a refund and removal of the ship from your account, then file a chargeback request with your credit card company and use the email correspondence as proof that the merchant did not give you what was promised and refused to give you a refund, and file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

You are entitled to a refund if the product you received was not what was advertised and you made the purchase based on that advertisement, and you can dispute the transaction on those grounds. They need to own up to this mistake and reverse the transaction, returning your zen and removing the Ship from your account.
  • shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    They're more likely to get their money back if they stop chuntering on about "bait & switch" (whatever the clagnuts that is), and said summat along the lines of "I paid money for Zen for this because it said it has X in the Zen store: but it doesn't in reality, and I therefore don't want it".

As it is they're just coming across as a monumental TRIBBLE-jockey, even though they're in the right.

In other words: don't be a bell-end, and either submit a normally worded ticket or post nicely on the forums.
    giphy.gif
    edited October 2014
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e345/john_schillo1/NewBitmapImage2_zpsda83d743.jpg
    This picture clearly show's that the Eclipse Intel Cruiser does not have a Lt Cmdr Science Seat, it has a Lt Science seat, yet in the zen store it says you are gonna get a Lt Cmdr Science Seat when you purchase it with your 3000 zen, which could've been bought with real money. So basicly you buy it, believing the description is true, and after you spent your money, you find out it is not.

Now I want to know where my Lt Cmdr Science Seat is, can anyone tell me?

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek

Look, they're in the process of destroying evidence, they don't want people to know their support doesn't read what most people say, they do not want people to know that he pretended he didn't know what I was saying basicly, he "misunderstood" me and they want to hide that. What're they going to do next, remove my picture of the zen store and the stations on the Intel Cruiser?

By the way I read their "Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Polices" And they told me I may not post Private Correspondence, it's funny how these policies matter alot more when it comes to proving a Gamemaster is at fault, no worries though, you guy's have seen enough to know that somethings wrong here.

Here's a link to my thread on the steam forums for STO.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/9900/discussions/0/619568793871533994/

Stay tuned to this thread for further updates, I'll let everyone know if I get the zen back.
  • elderdrake123elderdrake123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What the hell is wrong with people here? For crying out loud a mistake was absolutely made by PWE and anyone that bought the ship under false pretense should get a 100% refund or the ship should be amended to meet the incorrect listed description.

It is not a conspiracy by PWE either, someone just messed up and they need to simply own that mistake (meaning the devs) and correct it which I am going to go out on a limb and guess is already happening. If you got the short end, put a ticket in to PWE and ask for a different ship, credit, or a refund. I dislike PWE's practices but I will bank that a nice short professional worded (read respectful) ticket will result in a favorable outcome.

To the people quoting TOS and acting like little children, well I truly feel sad for you. This is a black & white easily handled issue, stop acting the fool or roll of the troll.
  • bobnooniansinghbobnooniansingh Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's been suggested to me that maybe this LtCdr Sci station was meant for the fleet version of the Eclipse.

Maybe so, but what was ADVERTISED is what I bought and paid for, and I expect to receive what was advertized, or there will be a chargeback issued. Period. TOS doesn't apply in cases of false advertising or fraud.

IF that slot was meant for the fleet version (which would probably be coming in the next month or so), then here's a workable solution:

Provide everyone who bought the Eclipse (or Delta Pack) with a "free upgrade token" or free fleet ship module some such for a free fleet upgrade when it becomes available. That way, we do eventually get what we paid for, at the advertized price, we simply have to deal with a wait on that final console. Treat it as a pre-order of the fleet ship.

This would result in STO giving out free $5 tokens, but isn't that preferable to an avalanche of refunds and chargebacks of Delta Packs and Eclipses, at $125 and $30 each?

What say you, STO?
    Is this a good compromise?
    edited October 2014
    Just a note for those that are saying that a refund is not in any way possible. If you check the Better Business Bureau's website, there were complaints similar to this, in other games run by Cryptic/Perfect World, that the Zen was in fact refunded.
This discussion has been closed.