test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

so are you happy with tier5u upgrade price of 700zen

r24681012r24681012 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
so are you happy that to upgrade your ship you will have to pay 700 zen is that a fair Price in your eyes or do you fill its to expencive and not worth it whats your views guys
Post edited by r24681012 on

Comments

• tcgrandpa#3038 tcgrandpa Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I bought the dr pack with zen I was shocked it was in the c-store the first day that was a nice surprise.

if i hadn't I would have debated but I did notice you can get a 4 pack for 2k zen so thats 500 each.

now being account wide.

for example I just upgraded my scimitar on one of my toons using my free token, and I notice the other 6 of my toons using scimitar's now qualify for free upgrades of there scimitar
    so that one token covered that ship across the board.

I guess it comes down to it if its worth it to you.
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Upgrading a ship to T6 or FT6 would have been worth up to 3000 Zen for me. Upgrading a ship to T5U is worth 0 Zen. That the upgrades are account-wide doesn't concern me because all of my characters use different ships. Otherwise I wouldn't have made them.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I think its reachable for a f2p player like myself with one character after about 14 days of converting dilithium to zen but im not sure if i can grind like that for everything else ... research.. time gates... a new t-6 ship etc etc. I dont have alternate characters to farm dil for zen because i cant spend my day just playing sto :(
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's what I expected. They've told us from the start it would be between 500-1000z.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • forcemajeureforcemajeure Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Why would I pay 700 Zen when I can pick it up on the exchange for roughly 12 million EC? Price has been dropping slowly, within a week it will likely be the price of one fleet ship module.

EC is not that hard to make for anyone but a part-time, very casual player. Particularly with a crafting system that lets you crank out items to sell on the exchange quite easily.

(For the people who say, "But I don't have that much EC, I didn't level my crafting skills, I don't have mats, I can't make anything or earn EC..." then you probably aren't playing the game at any level that NEEDS upgrades.)

(Edit: I am also quite satisfied with the fact that the upgrade cost for literally half my ships was ZERO, and that every captain I own has at least one ship that can be upgraded to T5-U free if I care to fly it.)
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I actually spent 2k on a 4-pack. That's what I expected, so I'm ok with it.
  • tcgrandpa#3038 tcgrandpa Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    and since you can buy them on the exchange there are many ways to get them.
  • atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Nope.

The upgrade is intentionally less than T6, will be even less after Fleet T6 are released.
    This upgrade scheme cost Cryptic very little, it's essentially a copy/paste/revision job with no new visual additions -- just numbers in the game's database.

At maximum it should have been $2.50 to upgrade
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • strykewolf67strykewolf67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    hojain2020 wrote: »
    I think its reachable for a f2p player like myself with one character after about 14 days of converting dilithium to zen but im not sure if i can grind like that for everything else ... research.. time gates... a new t-6 ship etc etc. I dont have alternate characters to farm dil for zen because i cant spend my day just playing sto :(

The sweet spot, I've found, has been using 3x L50s. to work towards various things. My other two characters are more for 'messing around' stuff.
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

Sarah Knightly - Co-leader; Frontier Explorers - U.S.S. Witchblade
    Rias Gremory - Leader; Frontier Marauders - I.K.S. B'ullwinkle
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    700 is about what I expected. I always figured that it would be a bit more than a FSM; since it can get you a higher grade of ship than an FSM can (at present anyway).
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Upgrading a ship to T6 or FT6 would have been worth up to 3000 Zen for me. Upgrading a ship to T5U is worth 0 Zen. That the upgrades are account-wide doesn't concern me because all of my characters use different ships. Otherwise I wouldn't have made them.

this
    exactly my point of view

luckly i had enough lockbox/lobi ships to have some chars/ships to choose from without paying for it extra but i wont buy any upgrade tokens

and I also dont get why they just can slip a price on it like 2k or whatever and allow a full FT6 upgrade of FT5 ships (as lockbox/lobi ships are essentially FT5)

but its their game and maybe they just didnt get around to it yet or something. Declassing basically 99% of all current ships including 99% of all official star trek ship designs with it just dont seem to make any sense to me when allowing for a totla upgrade could be offered seperatly

although i guess it would just make them look bad if they sold us 1 console + 1 boff seat for 2k+ but i guess there are enough ppl here, me included, who would go for it
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Can't say "happy", but I can say that I'm ok with it. For several reasons:

1) The whole upgrade thing was heavily discussed for at least the past month, including that the price would be between 500-1000. So the price isn't a surprise at all (honestly, I'm confused by the number of threads popping up from people who are "SHOCKED! Shocked I tell you!" about it.)

2) If you have multiple ships you want to upgrade, you can get a 4-pack for 500 each.

3) They're unbound, so you can get them on the exchange (just give it a couple weeks for the prices to settle down to fleet-module levels)

Finally, I'm ok with it because I don't have that many ships that can be upgraded, and I'm not feeling any pressure to upgrade them right away. So, for me, it's no big deal. (Oh, and I also had 4k zen/100m EC saved up for assorted DR purchases, so I've got the resources when I do decide to bother with it.)

All in all, it's no big deal. /shrug
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    On number one, it is more likely those are the people who wanted it at 500 so have to show shock at it being a bit higher.

Personally I thought it would be 1000z so I am happy with it. I even planned for it being 1000z so got 5k saved up so now I have 3k left over after buying a 4 pack.
  • darkdog13darkdog13 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    atomictiki wrote: »
    Nope.

The upgrade is intentionally less than T6, will be even less after Fleet T6 are released.
    This upgrade scheme cost Cryptic very little, it's essentially a copy/paste/revision job with no new visual additions -- just numbers in the game's database.

At maximum it should have been $2.50 to upgrade

This^

The biggest slap to the face is buying a $25 zen ship and then being told you need to pay another $7 or $5 to upgrade it costing more then a tier 6 ship.
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have purchased one 4-pack so far, mainly for the discount.

When I realized that upgrading the fleet ship unlocked the standard version, I was pleased. When I became aware that the unlock was account wide, I was even more satisfied.

For the price of another 4 pack, I can have 90% of my current ships upgraded; excluding my mirror ships. This is offset by the event ships which I worked for, so my overall impression is that this was done in an acceptable way. People ranting in other threads think you have to spend 700 zen on every ship you own is not consistent with reality. If done thoughtfully, the cost is rather less than that. In my case, below 500 so far.

I probably won't get another 4-pack until all the current T5-U ships are mastered.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    2500 for c-store ship, 500 for fleet upgrade, 700 for DR upgrade, 3700 zen for a ship that will not get any more development and was outclassed by the very first T6 lockbox ship. T5-U is a hole in the ground where you put your unneeded money and burn it to appease geko. Its a good deal like credit card debt is a good deal.

If you dont want to start all over again, you should examine the reasons for that.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    When I realized that upgrading the fleet ship unlocked the standard version, I was pleased. When I became aware that the unlock was account wide, I was even more satisfied.

Yeah, that's the thing. Fleet ship modules are 500 Zen, but they're per character. These are account-wide, so the costs are comparatively reasonable.

I'm flying T6 ships at the moment, but I feel like my T5U JHDC is probably stronger.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    700 for a single token is reasonable, and (as already noted) the four pack basically offers four tokens at 500 zen each.

Ah, that's good news. I haven't had the time to get in and play yet, so I wasn't aware there was a bundle price for upgrade tokens.

That changes things a bit.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Wouldn't say that I'm "happy" to have to pay more zen to keep ships I've already paid for up-to-date, but the price is about in line with what I expected. It does really stink that Cryptic is triple-dipping you on these tokens if you happen to own a ship 3-pack and are interested in upgrading all 3 versions.
    edited October 2014
    2500 for c-store ship, 500 for fleet upgrade, 700 for DR upgrade, 3700 zen for a ship that will not get any more development and was outclassed by the very first T6 lockbox ship. T5-U is a hole in the ground where you put your unneeded money and burn it to appease geko. Its a good deal like credit card debt is a good deal.

If you dont want to start all over again, you should examine the reasons for that.

Yes, buying a new T5 ship now and doing all those additional upgrades would be silly (unless, of course, you're a massive fan of a particular ship class/model.)

But there's another train of logic out there:
    - 2500 for c-store ship, played it for a few months
    - 500 for fleet upgrade, played it for a few months
    - 500-700 DR upgrade to continue playing that ship with a bit more power

The upgrades really don't seem targeted at your DOOOOOM strategy of "Buy a new ship now for 3700 zen!" They're for the people who've had those ships for a long time, and want to keep using them. Of course anyone who's getting into the game now/buying new ships now, would buy a T6.

Just like someone starting WoW with the new expansion wouldn't stop at level 90 to farm up previous-XPac raid gear before moving on - they'd just keep playing into the new content. Welcome to MMO. /shrug

edit: and do you really need to buy a c-store ship before you can get the fleet version? Or can you just buy the fleet ship? Wouldn't know, never done any fleet stuff. I've just always assumed, since I see the fleet ships in the ship store for X fleet cred/Y fleet modules, that you could just buy them outright.
    edited October 2014
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Yes, buying a new T5 ship now and doing all those additional upgrades would be silly (unless, of course, you're a massive fan of a particular ship class/model.)

But there's another train of logic out there:
    - 2500 for c-store ship, played it for a few months
    - 500 for fleet upgrade, played it for a few months
    - 500-700 DR upgrade to continue playing that ship with a bit more power

https://www.google.com/search?q=sunk+cost+fallacy

The money you have already spent is non-recoverable. Spending more money on it is just wasting more money.
    edited October 2014
    https://www.google.com/search?q=sunk+cost+fallacy

The money you have already spent is non-recoverable. Spending more money on it is just wasting more money.

The money you have already spent, has provided value. The time you used the item already. There's no need to "recover" anything.
    edited October 2014
    Any money spent on dead-end ship is simply being thrown away. People can do what they want, but they should go in eyes open. Dunno why you are getting emotional about it.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Can the KDF get the Guardian please ?
    Since we're now one big happy faction and 2K zen per toon is too freeking high for me to get cruiser to even qualify for the 700 zen token I need (WE need) a new DR plan. 700 zen is fair, 2000 zen + 700 is rap_e.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Any money spent on dead-end ship is simply being thrown away. People can do what they want, but they should go in eyes open. Dunno why you are getting emotional about it.

Let's not kids ourselves. We're talking about spending money on virtual starships to fly in a video game. It's being thrown away regardless.
  • fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    When you consider that once you use one token to upgrade a ship, you then get free upgrades for that ship in c-store AND fleet version on every character on your account. Compare that to 500 zen to get ONE upgrades ship on a single character. Then consider that if you buy the 4 pack for 2000 zen it works out at 500 zen, the same as for a fleet module...

Remember, it works in a similar fashion to a fleet module, in that you get an extra console slot and buff to stats, with the added bonus of it unlocking ship mastery skills.

So yes, I am quite happy with the price, and yes agree that it will probably drop to a similar price to a fleet module on the exchange eventually. Do keep in mind though that somebody somewhere paid for the zen that purchased those modules in the exchange. Don't try TOO hard to persuade people to buy them there. :P
  • littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I still haven't gotten this completely figured out. If I buy a token for one of my Odyssey ships, does that one token upgrade ALL of my Odyssey ships for ALL of my characters?
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
    edited October 2014
    fenr00k wrote: »
    When you consider that once you use one token to upgrade a ship, you then get free upgrades for that ship in c-store AND fleet version on every character on your account.
    Do you fly fleet and non-fleet versions of the same ship on developed chars? I have yet to meet anybody that does except as leveling ship.

I have ~20 fleet ships, none of the base c-store ships are used for anything except storage. Being able to upgrade ships that I dont use means nada to me.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Do you fly fleet and non-fleet versions of the same ship on developed chars? I have yet to meet anybody that does except as leveling ship.

I have ~20 fleet ships, none of the base c-store ships are used for anything except storage. Being able to upgrade ships that I dont use means nada to me.

I go out of my way never to fly the same ship on more than one character, that (for me) is one of the reasons to have more than one character in the first place. :)
    edited October 2014
    I still haven't gotten this completely figured out. If I buy a token for one of my Odyssey ships, does that one token upgrade ALL of my Odyssey ships for ALL of my characters?

No, it will let you upgrade one of the three odyssey variants, and that variant will be upgraded for any toon that has it. The other two variants will need to be upgraded separately, with additional tokens.