test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cloaking on Wells and Morbius Please

redshirtjohnson#9017 redshirtjohnson Member Posts: 136 Arc User
just hear me out, we are talking about ships from the 29th century that travel in time and would
actively need cloaking devices. please think about it. I know it will take some time to get this in game but it would be nice now that we've got the extra console slot with the T5-Us...

what do you think. good idea, way too powerful or what else.
Post edited by redshirtjohnson#9017 on

Comments

• playhard88playhard88 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    yeah, temporal backstep (the most overpowered power in the entire game) every 2 minutes is not enought. Please also give the wells the hull of the recluse, and if posible a 20 consoles layout
    John Sheridan@playhard88 - FED Tactical
    Vin Naftero@playhard88 - FED Sciencie
    K'tan@playhard88 - KDF Tactical
    Argento@playhard88 - RRF Tactical (FED)
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,912 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    how about... NO and i fly the mobius
    sig.jpg
  • redshirtjohnson#9017 redshirtjohnson Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    playhard88 wrote: »
    yeah, temporal backstep (the most overpowered power in the entire game) every 2 minutes is not enought. Please also give the wells the hull of the recluse, and if posible a 20 consoles layout

I had that coming didn't I... I'm not asking for an "I Win" button. just a logical side-grade that would be standard equipment for a ship from the 29th century...
  • zachariyazachariya Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    As a suggestion it makes a little sense.

How about just letting them equip the cloaking device console. It would be a standard cloak and would force the player to give up a console slot for the cloak. (Not as big of a loss as it used to be but its something)
    Shoot through the Galaxy, Final Master Spark!
  • xarkavierxarkavier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't see the problem, not even from a lore point of view as the treaty of Algeron would likely be no longer in effect in the 29th century.

However, shafting the federation by severely limiting their ability to cloak and doing the opposite for the other factions is basically a tradition for Cryptic, and it's highly unlikely this will ever change.
    edited October 2014
    it never hurts to ask. I highly doubt the admins will make this a reality, they have better and more important things to do... but one can hope.
  • logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    xarkavier wrote: »
    I don't see the problem, not even from a lore point of view as the treaty of Algeron would likely be no longer in effect in the 29th century.

However, shafting the federation by severely limiting their ability to cloak and doing the opposite for the other factions is basically a tradition for Cryptic, and it's highly unlikely this will ever change.

Why wouldn't it still be in effect? Most treaties between the US and USSR are still in effect.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    zachariya wrote: »
    As a suggestion it makes a little sense.

How about just letting them equip the cloaking device console. It would be a standard cloak and would force the player to give up a console slot for the cloak. (Not as big of a loss as it used to be but its something)

I like that idea, but the problem is the KDF can't get cloak as a console.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Why would 29th Century ships use the lousy cloak that 25th Century ships have? I would imagine that it is some type of phase cloak that can fire weapons while cloaked and can cloak entire fleets as well. In other words, far too overpowered for this game.

The other possibility is that 29th Century sensors are so far advanced that cloaking devices are meaningless so cloaking devices are only used to observe less advanced races. So they are only used in non-combat scenarios.
    edited October 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Why would 29th Century ships use the lousy cloak that 25th Century ships have? I would imagine that it is some type of phase cloak that can fire weapons while cloaked and can cloak entire fleets as well. In other words, far too overpowered for this game.

The other possibility is that 29th Century sensors are so far advanced that cloaking devices are meaningless so cloaking devices are only used to observe less advanced races. So they are only used in non-combat scenarios.

Well, the systems on the boats we have access to have been nerfed.

Otherwise we'd be merrily zipping through time a lot more than a few seconds at a time.

Seems to me that, while the originals may well have had phase cloaks that worked, the ones we can access to have the capability removed.

Although, the infrastructure remains, so a lesser cloak could be retrofitted.
    edited October 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    I like that idea, but the problem is the KDF can't get cloak as a console.

KDF Timeship should just have a cloak standard, no console needed.
    edited October 2014
    zachariya wrote: »
    KDF Timeship should just have a cloak standard, no console needed.

Then it gets an extra console slot, relative to its Romulan or Fed version if they too want to cloak.

Tell you what, how about this?

A temporal cloak console, only equippable on time ships.

Not a battle cloak, a standard one, but it's highly resistent to snooper builds and also adds kinetic resistence while on.

200 lobi.

ETA could even get a set bonus with the rest of the Temporal Warfare set.
    edited October 2014
    Then it gets an extra console slot, relative to its Romulan or Fed version if they too want to cloak.

Not a battle cloak, a standard one, but it's highly resistent to snooper builds and also adds kinetic resistence while on.

200 lobi.

I can dig it
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    God my Wells/Mobius would be so hawt if they had cloaking. I mean my god, they're so sleek and stealthy-looking already. It would just be so cool. :P

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
    edited October 2014

200 lobi.

ETA could even get a set bonus with the rest of the Temporal Warfare set.

I like what I'm hearing. and would willingly spend the lobi for it.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well, the systems on the boats we have access to have been nerfed.

Otherwise we'd be merrily zipping through time a lot more than a few seconds at a time.

Seems to me that, while the originals may well have had phase cloaks that worked, the ones we can access to have the capability removed.

Although, the infrastructure remains, so a lesser cloak could be retrofitted.

Or the 29th Century ships have been gutted by the Tholians of all the useful technology for their own purposes. There are far too many systems that have been removed from these ships and the cloaking devices is a very minor system that has been removed. With a 29th Century ship, I should be able to one-shot any enemy in the game and be able to withstand the entire might of the Borg Collective. A cloaking device pales in comparison to those feats.
  • simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The only buff the M
    320x240.jpg
  • xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Why wouldn't it still be in effect? Most treaties between the US and USSR are still in effect.

When two organisations make a contract or treaty and one organisation is destroyed or disbanded said contract becomes null and void.

so wit hthe collapse of the empire and a majority of them changing sides and joining the republic its logical to assume that the treaty is no longer in effect because well... the empires dead... the republic is new.. they'd have to resign it with them and there's no indication it has been.

Id also like to point that the battleship we've got on the c-store and in the fleet area are able to equip cloaking devices suggesting that the treaty became null and void.

of course various other ships can do it but yeah I highly doubt that there's any reason to assume the treaty is still in effect so its should be totally do-able.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    playhard88 wrote: »

Pretty much this.

The Wells had stood at the top of the heap in Science Vessels for a very long time. It does not need any more enhancements.

What the hell else do people want the Temporal Vessel to do? Cook you breakfast in the morning, too?
    XzRTofz.gif
  • apsciliaraapsciliara Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What the hell else do people want the Temporal Vessel to do? Cook you breakfast in the morning, too?

Make that an all-day breakfast and you've got a deal.
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Why would 29th Century ships use the lousy cloak that 25th Century ships have?
    Note that the temporal ships were found in Tholian shipyards were they had been stripped off most of their advanced 29th century technology. The cloak probably was taken out as well.
    I imagine it might've been some kind of temporal cloak that shifts the ship slightly out of the current timeframe, similar to how the Devidians hide.

Since the ships are so advanced, trying to use a standard 25th century cloak might be as pointless as trying to run Commodore 64 software on a Windows 8 machine...
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I can see it but I personally think it should be something that is obnoxiously TEMPORAL(!!!) the way the Relativity and Future's End episodes are.

So here's my contender:

Temporal Cloaking Device
    Equips on any timeship, yadda, yadda.

In the future, cloaking is accomplished by warping your vessel's image and energy signature off your hull and back in time.

So your ship cloaks. A visible copy of your ship appears behind your cloaked ship. So it indicates your position while cloaked but you aren't actually targetable, just your decoy. If your decoy is destroyed, you decloak.

Maybe instead of Temporal Cloaking Device, simply call it Temporal Divergence and have it drop a decoy while you are cloaked. But you stay cloaked until you manually decloak or the decoy dies..

Think of it as a combo Picard Maneuver/Cloak.
  • trelane87trelane87 Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'd love some more goodies for my wells, especially now since the game is becoming a dps race and sci ships are become useless I need all the extra damage I can get :rolleyes:

Also changing the mobius console would be useful because right now it's a garbage console.
  • lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Can I have a cloak to cloak my cloak?

I'd rather have them made full T6 than get a cloak and I have all 3 on my Engineer.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm pretty happy with the Wells as it is. If it aint broke, don't try to fix it! :)
  • gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My only gripe is that they're not tier 6.
    If any existing ships should have been tier 6, it would be the temporal ones.
  • c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Come to think about it, it would be very nice to at least have an Intel Hybrid Boff seat. Apart from that, I don't think I'd want anything changed.

So yea, give us that boff seat and call it a T6! :D
    edited October 2014

You can't really compare it to the real world. The gap in years between the treaty of Algeron being signed and the creation of the Temporal ships is vast, plus, the Romulan Star Empire that forced the Federation into singing the treaty no longer exists in any real practical form in the 25th century, never mind the 29th. Hence why I say it's unlikely.
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    xarkavier wrote: »
    You can't really compare it to the real world. The gap in years between the treaty of Algeron being signed and the creation of the Temporal ships is vast, plus, the Romulan Star Empire that forced the Federation into singing the treaty no longer exists in any real practical form in the 25th century, never mind the 29th. Hence why I say it's unlikely.

However. One side can still uphold the ideal's behind the treaty even if the other side doesn't exist anymore.

So even IF the traty desnt apply, doesn't mean starfleets ideal's have changed so much that they decide to put cloaking devices on everything.

A few shipos every now and then, not much of a problem, every ship in starfleet? big ideal change.
    edited October 2014
    tenkari wrote: »
    However. One side can still uphold the ideal's behind the treaty even if the other side doesn't exist anymore.

So even IF the traty desnt apply, doesn't mean starfleets ideal's have changed so much that they decide to put cloaking devices on everything.

A few shipos every now and then, not much of a problem, every ship in starfleet? big ideal change.

Any bone head can see that not being able to cloak puts you at a severe tactical disadvantage. It would be asinine to uphold a treaty that gimps every aspect of space combat, and travel if you didn't have to.

If Voyager could of cloaked, the series would of been rather boring, but they certainly would of been able to bypass a lot of danger they otherwise wouldn't of been able to; as an example.