test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Aspect/res ratio problem with certain graphics

xaramanxaraman Member Posts: 291 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Graphical and Sound Issues
Hello,

Since patch, I've had an aspect/resolution ratio problem with certain graphical portions within the game. The main UI framing seems fine, except for the multi display for shields and hull. The frame has been resized to be much smaller than before, yet the overlay to show shields and hull% is normal size.

There is also a problem with power bar icons. Again, the frame of the component is fine, however the icons for the abilities seem to be in a different aspect/resolution to the frame.

Same issue with other minor graphical things like graphics in mission windows, graphics for reputations. The resolution or aspect of the graphic is out of sync with the frame of the window.

I have tried making screenshots, but when I SS, it automatically removes the UI :o. Is there anyway of making it take shots to include the UI?

Now, here comes the fun part. Guys, I know my computer is old :). I am posting this for reference and am aware that my box my have just been made obsolete by the game. But, if it's not an obsolescence issue, then maybe this will help pinpoint problems. (ie. I am in no way demanding they should fix it so the game can run on my box). However, for reference, LoR ran fine on this computer (all graphics at min).

Specs:
AMD Athlon64 3700+ (single core 2.21GHz cpu)
2Gb RAM (not sure of the bus speed exactly, but it's old)
Radeon X1600XT (512Mb)
DX9 (DXDIAG not reading any errors)
WinXP Pro SP3

I am getting a shed load of D3D errors during loading, but the game loads and seems to play fine. I am seeing stuttering, but am not surprised considering the load that is probably on the game at the moment.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Cheers!
Post edited by xaraman on

Comments

• bogard2bogard2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    yea im having the same problem and its 100% the same with the shields its the same as you say but when im taking damage its the red arears that i cant see of the shield even when at full shields i just dont see it and the same with the powers boxes as well and when in a team there shields are the same way but can see when they trun red and when im targeting some one or something
  • maxitalmaxital Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    xaraman wrote: »
    I have tried making screenshots, but when I SS, it automatically removes the UI :o. Is there anyway of making it take shots to include the UI?
    Yes there is.

Shift+Print-screen should be the default to get the UI i don't know why they did it like that :P
    ctrl+Print-screen is iirc TGA(lossless picture without UI) but i have chanced all mine to totally different key binds.

But if you like to change that behavior type this in the chat(console) and re-bind the functions.

/bind sysrq screenshot_ui_jpg
    /bind Shift+sysrq screenshot_jpg

Here: http://sto.gamepedia.com/Guide:_Keybinds and http://sto.gamepedia.com/List_of_console_commands

Ive also added this to be able to see FPS and ping.

ALT+F
    /bind Alt+f ++showfps

ALT+N
    /bind Alt+n ++netgraph

/Max
    Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for any loss of Borgs on your ship/game or anything else made by my recommendations! Oh and my typos :D
    A good bug report is done by also sending it to Support page do not just rely on that devs to check every single post on forum! The community is good to figure them out tho, more or less ^^
  • xaramanxaraman Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My word,

Thank you for those links. I do prefer typing out commands sometimes, especially while I'm trying to debug and I've always wondered about a list of / or ; commands within the game.

Screenshots on the way :).

Cheers!
    edited October 2014
    edited October 2014
    Did you check so you don't have any Borg hidden in your ship and messing with you? jokes aside :P

That is some messed up layout.

Stuff is old allright Windows XP sp3 brings back memorys, some people hated it to its guts, some loved it they take it to there grave, i had my up and downs with it. It did allot for me, allot of music is made with it Win XP aaah memories... :D

But, lets get to what could have happen, something changed ofc in the code that made this happen, it can be allot of things, but lets first check if we can save 6 more month out of that PC

Drivers, i remember it now, some people just hated to update it, if its ain't broken don't fix it. ^^

Well sadly things brake easy in our world, but there always someway to fix it.

Check first the AMD Catalyst display driver version and lets see what there is to use, last known version that AMD recommend is 10.2 that is from 02/24/2010

Do not download and install unless you know your driver is older, check the driver version in Catalyst Control Center.

Download link: AMD Catalyst Display Driver version 10.2 - 02/24/2010

Next would be to "try" sometimes you can install newer driver but it is not so very well supported but it can allso work great sometimes.

this AMD Catalyst Display Driver version 12.8 - 8/15/2012
    could be the last working driver for the X1600XT, but i can be wrong, so long time ago i can't remember what driver you could use for that card.

Im going to check tomorrow if i can find some information regarding that card.

/Max
    Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for any loss of Borgs on your ship/game or anything else made by my recommendations! Oh and my typos :D
    A good bug report is done by also sending it to Support page do not just rely on that devs to check every single post on forum! The community is good to figure them out tho, more or less ^^
    edited October 2014
    mmm,

Drivers. I'm trying to remember, when i beta tested some software a year or so back if i reverted back to the most recent drivers. We did have an issue while testing with OpenGL and I may have reverted back to an older driver.

I honestly can't remember if I reverted back. Thanks for reminding me. I will check that tomorrow.

Occam's Razor and all that :)

Cheers!
    edited October 2014
    Just checked and did have older drivers.

However, I'm now running the 10.2 version (thanks for the link), but I'm still having the same problem.

I'm going to check the ATI site now and see what the absolute last version is for the x1600. I think it's the 10.2. But they may have improved on that since the last time I checked.

By the way (since you appear to be knowledgeable in the ways of the radeon), does ATI Tray Tools still work with the latest set of Radeon cards and drivers? I much prefer that over CCC and since I will be building a new box soon, I'm wondering would I better off with a radeon using ATT or is nVidia just stomping them at the moment in all aspects? (apologies for slight thread drift mods).

Cheers!
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hello all,

As of today's patch, I am having the same issues... This was also in Tribble for me, but not on Holodeck until the DR patch. Now it is in both. I will post screen shots tomorrow as I don't have a place to put them at the moment. I figure is not the machine as the issue is apparent on two different machines (work and home) and was on Tribble prior to the patch but not on Holodeck... Not necessarily a game basket, but VERY uncomfortable!

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I just use the prt sc key and then paste it into mspaint.

But yeah, I have also had an issue with things being sized oddly. Skill and inventory icons are ~3/4 the width of their frame. Doff pics are 3/4 the height of their frame. the shield display thing is messed up. and a few other things I can't remember how to describe off the top of my head.

I can play reasonably well, but things look funky. :/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited October 2014
    xaraman wrote: »
    does ATI Tray Tools still work with the latest set of Radeon cards and drivers? I much prefer that over CCC and since I will be building a new box soon, I'm wondering would I better off with a radeon using ATT or is nVidia just stomping them at the moment in all aspects?

Just realized something check my other post this regards the layout maybe messed up and other stuff, reset all game saved files. read it you do not need to care about the less color that other guy have problem with.

The ATI Tray Tools are very outdated and are not updated sins 2011-11-04

From a guy in that forum "ATT is dead. Not even on life support. Stone cold dead."

Ive have had problem back the old days with some overlay software. Never felt the need now days. :D

When it comes to what brand you should take. Well;

AMD (ATi) if you want the new Mantle(low-level rendering API) driver for future support of other newer games, unsure if there would be a plan for the STO Devs to implement that. Most likely not. Space MMO 'Star Citizen' To include Mantle support

Nvidia is an easy choice if you also running GNU/Linux like Ubuntu, linux Mint to name two of many distributions, because of higher FPS with there driver with openGL in both Windows OS and GNU/Linux OS's(openGL is there main API for games in that OS) and if you have children or even yourself like i do play Minecraft(using openGL) you get much better performance with Nvidia. (But i have AMD shhh don't tell anyone :P yeah i know its forum and open, haha)

And if you plan to take Nvidia as your choice i would recommend ASUS STRIX GTX 970 DC2 OC

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqz4tDM6Wl8"]LinusTechTips about that card.
    Web review techpowerup.com if your budget would allow it, else anything around 200 USD like the ASUS GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB OC.

I would say price/performance, look for that.

And i do know the feeling about losing some sweet good old software you been used to, but ones you get older like i do *cough*35*cough* you have to let go :D

/Max
    edited October 2014
    Got my screenshots... Much the same as the other screenshots on page 1 of this thread...

http://teachanddiscover.net/cmills/screenshot_crm01.jpg
    http://teachanddiscover.net/cmills/screenshot_crm02.jpg
    http://teachanddiscover.net/cmills/screenshot_crm03.jpg
    http://teachanddiscover.net/cmills/screenshot_crm04.jpg
    http://teachanddiscover.net/cmills/screenshot_crm05.jpg
    http://teachanddiscover.net/cmills/screenshot_crm06.jpg
    http://teachanddiscover.net/cmills/screenshot_crm07.jpg
    http://teachanddiscover.net/cmills/screenshot_crm08.jpg

I do not understand why it would be a computer-related issue, since I have this issue on multiple machines AND it was affecting Tribble BEFORE it was affecting Holodeck for me. These graphics were having issues on Tribble on both of my machines months before brought to Holodeck. Holodeck had NO issues at all until the patch update from yesterday. THEN did the graphics have issues...

Why would it be the machine in this case?

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
    edited October 2014
    crm14916 wrote: »
    I do not understand why it would be a computer-related issue, since I have this issue on multiple machines AND it was affecting Tribble BEFORE it was affecting Holodeck for me. These graphics were having issues on Tribble on both of my machines months before brought to Holodeck. Holodeck had NO issues at all until the patch update from yesterday. THEN did the graphics have issues...

Why would it be the machine in this case?

CM

Well depends whats updated API towards DX9/11 wise in game with the UI, i am not experiencing any of the stuff you guys have.

But is your system also Windows XP or Vista/7/8.1? I don't think i need to tell that Windows XP support has ended and do not get any updates for public use any longer.

My self build system:
    System: AMD FX-6200 | ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Socket-AM3+ | 8GB RAM
    OS: Windows 7 pro (64 bit) fully updated, except the failing patch KB2952664.
    GPU(Graphic card): ATi radeon 6950 (Running game in DX11)
    GPU Driver: 14.4 win7 64bit (14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql) Works best for me with Guild wars 2 atm. i know there is a newer one, testing it later :)

Read more here: Windows 7 patch KB 2952664 fails with error 80242016 "if you don't intend to update the Windows 7 computer to either windows 8 or Windows10 TP, then uninstall the buggy KB2952664 update. It isn't needed..."

And the game works very well before patch and quite well because i can't remember if we had this render UI FPS loss when you look at your Skills, the frame rate drops a lot! i have made a report for it.

Other then that there is just random bugs that people report, remember to do good screen shot like you did and explain what OS you running, make sure its fully patched, and as much you can do with updating the GPU/Motherbord/Sound(yes some bad drivers make game crash a lot) drivers.

I'm trying to make the Aspect/res ratio to fail but no luck for me so far.

Try window mode, chance setting, reset as i explained in other thread where i guy had some other problem, but this relates to reset your Gameprefs.Pref configure file located ..\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\Localdata\Gameprefs.Pref deleting this reverts all settings done to UI layouts, keybinds and chat settings read my guide how to backup it all.

/Max
    edited October 2014
    IF it were an issue with the computers I'm using, wouldn't both Holodeck AND Tribble have been affected at the same time?

My system: (not sure what all information you need)
    Windows 7 Pro, with SP1
    Intel Core i3 CPU, M380 @2.53GHz
    2.00GB RAM
    64-bit OS

No idea where to find the graphics card info... I'm more of a linux guy and only have the Windows computer for the sake of gaming. It's a standard HP purchase... no extras, not built by me...

CM
    edited October 2014
    IF it were an issue with the computers I'm using, wouldn't both Holodeck AND Tribble have been affected at the same time?

Well try reset the setup, is the only thing i can recommend, there is to much configurations in that file and if there is something devs forgot about to clean up and the game does not "fix" it, removing old setup files most likely fixes things.

Follow this post i made in a other thread
    maxital wrote: »
    reset as i explained in other thread where i guy had some other problem, but this relates to reset your Gameprefs.Pref configure file located ..\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\Localdata\Gameprefs.Pref deleting this reverts all settings done to UI layouts, keybinds and chat settings read my guide how to backup it all.

Just make sure to make backup of files to move away(delete)

And please do report back if that fixed the Aspect/res ratio problem that you see.
    No idea where to find the graphics card info... I'm more of a linux guy and only have the Windows computer for the sake of gaming. It's a standard HP purchase... no extras, not built by me...

Press windows key +R and type there "dxdiag" then under Display "name: xxxxxxx"

/Max
    edited October 2014
    maxital,

I will do the "cleanup" here in a few hours as I am in the middle of class at the moment. In the mean time, the graphics card info (I didn't know windows had a "terminal"-like program :) )

Intel HD Graphics
    32 bit 60Hz
    DirectX ver 11

Thanks and will keep you posted on the cleanup...

CM
  • brazen1acebrazen1ace Member Posts: 159
    edited October 2014
    I have this same problem. In fact, it looks like a number of people do. I am running on a laptop, here are my stats for you. Please note that while this is not a gaming laptop it has run STO fine. The only time I have had trouble with STO is when the Dev's TRIBBLE something up. Also I play WOT and STWOR on here as well.

Toshiba
    Satellite L655
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    4GB ram
    Intel HD (intergrated)

I tired force verify, and that fixed nothing. I will try your suggestion of deleting the settings files. But my guess is that this is a TRIBBLE up on the Dev's part. Like what happened with that update a while back that caused everyone with an Intel HD card to have driver crashes. The shader issue is not so worrying to me since the game plays despite it showing those errors. Even with the UI messed up I can still play. I would like them to fix it, but it does not stop me from playing.
    edited October 2014
    Ok, so I just tried what you suggested and it did not work. Still have the UI looking like it has the wrong Aspect Ratio. I already ran Force Verify yesterday, so no luck there either.
    edited October 2014
    brazen1ace wrote: »
    Ok, so I just tried what you suggested and it did not work. Still have the UI looking like it has the wrong Aspect Ratio. I already ran Force Verify yesterday, so no luck there either.
    If your are unsure how old the driver is please check for an updated driver for your laptop: support.toshiba.com You will need the full model number, you find it under the laptop thats why i can't show you 100% what driver there is, you see it for your self when you just add "L655-xxxxx" Where xxxxx you need to check what it is under the laptop.

Check with Toshiba support page first, and tell us the full model number.
    It seems that your laptop is a Intel Core i3-350M Processor then it should be this Link to driver (if you are a random user reading this don't just pick this driver check what you have) it will tell you if you can't install. But there is ways to fix that read this link.

Old driver can mess thing up really good, so can new driver. Don't play around if you do not know your way around. But then again you would not have read this page, some times we need to do "risky" things to gain something.

So there is something with Intel HD, AMD radeon older cards(maybe older drivers) because i have AMD card that have drivers from this year and works fine.

So something changed from dev side and not an error in the configure files, this is good we tested this, this means the more people we see with Intel HD/AMD(newer/older) cards we get this UI Aspect/res ratio problem to show up, it will be so much easier for them(dev) to test it for them self in there lab, when we all report this thread to them. You guys should ofc do a report also, see my signature for link.

And to all other people, before you report please check for updated drivers for the your GPU Intel HD, Nvidia, AMD and hamsters :D

/Max
    edited October 2014
    I will check to see if there are any updated drivers. But I doubt that there are any. This computer is rather out of date by now. And Intel has not to my knowledge released any updated drivers. Plus this is an issue that only appeared after the update. Here is the link to the other thread on this topic that I found and posted on. http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1250841&page=2

hope that helps.
    edited October 2014
    I have completed the cleanup and forced a verify of the STO files on load... No change...

Any next suggestions?
    CM
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, there are no updated display drivers for my computer.
    edited October 2014
    I have completed the cleanup and forced a verify of the STO files on load... No change...

Any next suggestions?
    CM
    brazen1ace wrote: »
    Yeah, there are no updated display drivers for my computer.

Sadly, seems you guys need to wait for a hotfix.

/Max
    edited October 2014
    I'm still not convinced it's the machines...

CM
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Oh, it's the same issue that has been discussed in >THIS THREAD< . Aparently a lot of people are getting this issue after the launch. :(

I'm pretty much getting the same as you guys reported here. Here are my screenshots from that other thread:
    shpoks wrote: »
    shpoks wrote: »
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited October 2014
    Well I thought today's patch would fix the problem. No such luck. :( I don't think it is the machines either. Remember I was effected by the driver crashing that all Intel HD's had for about two months. It was bad code then and it is bad code now.
    edited October 2014
    It can't be the machines... On the SAME machine, I had the bug in Tribble but not Holodeck. Sent in a bug report on Tribble, but you know how that goes... :) Once DR came over, now it's in both H and T...

Smirk posted in the Maintenance thread that they are looking at some issues... Hopefully this is one of them...

CM
  • svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have this same issue as well.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
    edited October 2014
    I made another thread about this with more screenshots in the Bug report section of the forum. here is the link
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=19989591#post19989591
  • twofatnutstwofatnuts Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hey there ... i have exacly the same problem all item icons are squished shield ui in space is out of sync map and reda and blue spaces in voth battleground is out of sync making map hard to read old character skill tree i even harder to work with i have tryed reseting settings changing settings in preference file nothing helped and i se no solution :(
    edited October 2014
    This patch 30 Oct 2014 fixed my squished and misaligned graphics issues... Let me know if there are others whose graphics are also fixed with the patch today!

Yay! I can finally play without feeling like I'm being pulled through a wormhole!

CM