test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

An opinion on gold and lifer accounts in this game

stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
Its always been recommended to me to eventually get a gold account,but i am very apprehensive about it.
Everytime theres a big patch downloaded,its always festooned with bug problems,and today server crash.God knows,what will happen on and after the October 14th patch for DR.
I do love this game,but due to its unreliability,i am currently not prepared to pay out for a gold or lifer account. its too risky.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• scp1357scp1357 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I don't find it that risky, but the $300 pricetag is a bit over the price for a game.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,276 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This game is quite reliable compared to how it once was if you have such an issue with it you must have more trouble with other games which are more unreliable. And i figure there will be a crash or 2 around when delta comes out but it will be fixed quickly
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • scp1357scp1357 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Still too expensive, even for something as cool as Star Trek Online.
    edited September 2014
    stuart1965 wrote: »
    Its always been recommended to me to eventually get a gold account,but i am very apprehensive about it.
    Everytime theres a big patch downloaded,its always festooned with bug problems,and today server crash.God knows,what will happen on and after the October 14th patch for DR.
    I do love this game,but due to its unreliability,i am currently not prepared to pay out for a gold or lifer account. its too risky.

They have like 8 sales on it a year

Its really more lik 3 but most people get it on sale. I myself went lifer back in beta but ehh.
  • svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Only thing that keeps me from going lifer is my wife would expect to spend the same amount on the sims (as per our gaming agreement)
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • thraxianxthraxianx Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited September 2014

I have a lifer account but i got it when the game first launched and i dont see much benefit to it to be honest. It seems more less a gimmick, i dont get much out of it month to month. Id keep your money and micro instead.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I don't see how it's risky at all. The game is still up and running after all this time. Server problems get sorted out quickly since they lose money as long as the server is down. Bugs after major patches are normal for any MMO out there. The only thing you need to decide on is whether or not you think the things a LTS/Gold account gives you is worth the money you pay for it.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • sicjebsicjeb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Depends.

Depends how much you play. Depends how much you'll get out of it. Depends on your disposable income.

I went LTS about 18 months ago, I don't regret it. I play everyday, I collect my stipends, I play my borg and I use pretty much all of the benefits.

So really it's down to the individual.
    edited September 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    The only thing you need to decide on is whether or not you think the things a LTS/Gold account gives you is worth the money you pay for it.

That is a good point, see i have a lifer account, matter of fact i have two one for me and one for my son and i dont see the benefit of the lifer account. I think it is more a money making scheme than anything, the benefits of having such an lifer account is nothing special.
  • capten400capten400 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I wont put money in to the game not whert it I work hard for my money to just to give it away and not get any thing in return so no now if they lower the price I may conseter it or I may not
    edited September 2014
    thraxianx wrote: »
    That is a good point, see i have a lifer account, matter of fact i have two one for me and one for my son and i dont see the benefit of the lifer account. I think it is more a money making scheme than anything, the benefits of having such an lifer account is nothing special.

So 60$ of free currency a year isnt a benefit? A unique species isnt a benefit? Access to the test servers when others dont get it isnt? The chimaera isnt?
  • sicjebsicjeb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    capten400 wrote: »
    I wont put money in to the game not whert it I work hard for my money to just to give it away and not get any thing in return so no now if they lower the price I may conseter it or I may not

I have to ask, does the game give you nothing? If the answer is in the affirmative, may I suggest playing something else?

I'm no whale, but the game gives me enjoyment, and as such I'm happy to give something back.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited September 2014

For me, the LTS is good for two reasons.

firstly, in order for the game to continue, Cryptic need money.

secondly, i do use most, if not all, the benefits.

Account bank, ec limit removal, extra bank slots, extra everything slots really.

They all get used.

so, income permitting, id recommend it.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I had my lifer status since before the game started, at this point, I'm a parasite with all the perks :D:cool:;)
    GwaoHAD.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    westx211 wrote: »
    So 60$ of free currency a year isnt a benefit? A unique species isnt a benefit? Access to the test servers when others dont get it isnt? The chimaera isnt?

It takes 3.3 to 5 years for the LTS to pay for itself and the other benefits aren't worth it for the price. The LTS was certainly worth it when I got it during Beta, but post-F2P, it has certainly lost its value. It is easy to create a pseudo-Liberated Borg as long as your character is female and Starfleet or Federation-aligned Romulan with the Seven of Nine costume.

The smartest thing to do is just subscribe for a month to get the Gold Member benefits or if you desperately need the LTS, then buy it when it is on sale.
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I wouldnt go for it. Some may think cryptic is thankful to those supporting them but they just want more and more. Over time all your investments will loose ingame value and sometimes quite fast. One day you buy something the next its given away for free and stuff like that. Also there is no T6 veteran ship so thats also a once existing bonus thats now devalued.

The optimal thing to do is get gold for 1 month and than cancel the sub as you will keep basically all vital bonuses derived from gold once you had it at some point.
  • havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    The smartest thing to do is just subscribe for a month to get the Gold Member benefits or if you desperately need the LTS, then buy it when it is on sale.

This ^

15$ for roughly 35$ of value when you add up the unlocks. Significantly more if you level multiple chars for the respecs (~25$ per).

If you do like the game enough for LTS, at least wait until a sale, which generally occurs once a year. Just don't expect the value returned before the game closes up shop.
    edited September 2014
    westx211 wrote: »

If i played the game everday then perhaps it would be a benefit or the other perks but as someone else stated, it is not really all that in regards to the perks that are given. Nothing you cant get on micro to be honest, the two lifetime accounts i have was a waste of money.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Those bugs will be there and affect everyone equally regardless of if we are all gold or silver. It's not like gold accounts get more bugs or anything.

If you're not planning on sticking around for the long haul then lifer probably isn't for you, but you could pay for 1 month of gold, use the stipend to unlock the EC cap limit, and level your characters to 60 for a few unlocks like a free respec and some bank space.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Late in this game to buy a lifer. I bought mine 2 years ago, so it was worth it.

The Chimera is not a top tier ship in either pvp or pve.
  • tieberionetieberione Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I recently purchased lifetime, and have gotten all of my in game items, Still No clue how to change my forum Rank from Lieutenant to Career Officer lol.
    Tieberion, Captain of the USS Excalibur NX-97000-B

• bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I got my lifetime upgrade when it was on sale and have never regretted it, the stipend comes in dead handy, the visible lifetime rewards still now draw interest, I often get comments on my vet ships soon to be upgraded to T5U for free, lifetime pet Mugato Companion & outfits.
    the extra bank slots and inventory slots come in real handy as well as the account bank and higher ec cap.
    if you work out the approximate C-store value of all the stuff you will find the rewards alone cover the cost of lifetime even at full price and before you start getting stipend.
    I would definatly say wait for a sale though.

I do play an awful lot though so really get my moneys worth, if you only play say an hour a day or less maybe not.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    tieberione wrote: »
    I recently purchased lifetime, and have gotten all of my in game items, Still No clue how to change my forum Rank from Lieutenant to Career Officer lol.

Hit the link in the Edit your Avatar link on the upper left of the forums. You should see a list of your titles. Pick the one you want and then hit the Update Title button. It should set your new title.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • roubiniroubini Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Dont pay full retail in STO for anything. Why would you? Sales are the way to go.....

It's just "Dr Doom" Roubini
    Refugee from those other games!
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I got my lifetime upgrade when it was on sale and have never regretted it, the stipend comes in dead handy, the visible lifetime rewards still now draw interest, I often get comments on my vet ships soon to be upgraded to T5U for free, lifetime pet Mugato Companion & outfits.
    the extra bank slots and inventory slots come in real handy as well as the account bank and higher ec cap.
    if you work out the approximate C-store value of all the stuff you will find the rewards alone cover the cost of lifetime even at full price and before you start getting stipend.
    I would definatly say wait for a sale though.

I do play an awful lot though so really get my moneys worth, if you only play say an hour a day or less maybe not.

Certainly, on sale and if you run more than three toons, it pays for itself in the services it adds.

The vet ships are, as someone said, not top of the line, but they are solid.

In my view, there's at least two years left in the game.

Probably more.

Thus, bought on sale and played regulary, it still has value.
  • moofrymoofry Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I haven't paid for this game yet although i have considered it. My issue in the end is the cost worth the gain/reward in the end. As far as the downtime and such...i played back at the time of the 2nd anni and remember how holodeck went down for patches daily. Now THAT was frustrating. Once a week to patch and some downtime...occassionally for a day does not compare to that. Many thing Cryptic does frustrates the hell out of me i admit, but this is not a rant. They have come a long way since then so please have a bit of patience with them in resolving this issue.
    This feels like STO sometimes lol
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have a lifer account but i got it when the game first launched and i dont see much benefit to it to be honest. It seems more less a gimmick, i dont get much out of it month to month. Id keep your money and micro instead.

I got mine early on too. For us, the LTS did pay for itself since the alternative was subscription (there was no F2P at that time). But now with F2P, the best option is to:
    - - go Gold for a month while you level a toon (respec tokens, free RA ship, etc)
    - - buy the EC limit increase (only thing you really lose when your Gold lapses)
    - - do transactions for whatever you really want.

Since I've had LTS forever, I'm not sure how great the 'priority log-on' is. I don't know how much of a log-on queue there is in STO. Only hit a queue a couple times when Cryptic screwed something up in the logon server.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • tieberionetieberione Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    Hit the link in the Edit your Avatar link on the upper left of the forums. You should see a list of your titles. Pick the one you want and then hit the Update Title button. It should set your new title.

Thanks a Million! The Edit up there didn't show up too well on this monitor, 144 hz is great, as
    long as you can try to view the whole screen dead on lol.
    Tieberion, Captain of the USS Excalibur NX-97000-B

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Since I've had LTS forever, I'm not sure how great the 'priority log-on' is. I don't know how much of a log-on queue there is in STO. Only hit a queue a couple times when Cryptic screwed something up in the logon server.

Priority Login will probably be great for the week after Delta Rising launches, then it will be worthless until the next major patch that has actual content in it.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    It takes 3.3 to 5 years for the LTS to pay for itself and the other benefits aren't worth it for the price. The LTS was certainly worth it when I got it during Beta, but post-F2P, it has certainly lost its value. It is easy to create a pseudo-Liberated Borg as long as your character is female and Starfleet or Federation-aligned Romulan with the Seven of Nine costume.

I got the lifetime for $199. The monthly sub is $15. I had one of the discounts for $12/month. Therefore 16 months for the LTS to save me money. Less if I had been paying the full $15/month.

For me, I paid for the LTS the day they announced hiring Commander Ander who is from City of Heroes (Dr Aeon) where he was one of my favorite mission writers and Gorngonzolla (aka Synapse from City of Heroes) who did a lot of the mechanics and powers I liked.

I've enjoyed the new missions Ander did and the Romulan powers Gornie did over here. For me, totally worth it. The actual mechanical benefits never entered the equation.