test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

5 million ec and 400,000 dilithium to upgrade 22 items

jkwrangler2010jkwrangler2010 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
So I had a bunch of ec and dilithium saved up and decided to upgrade my Fleet Avenger and ground gear for my captain. 22 items total [except for ship shields, engine and deflector as I haven't done those yet] cost me around 5 million ec and 400,000 dilithium to upgrade from MKII to MKIII. The reason why I decided to upgrade this way is because I don't craft. Your results may vary.

I did get a superior cannon tech upgrade as a drop in colony invasion.
Post edited by jkwrangler2010 on

Comments

• Options
    aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Wow!!! the Dilithium costs are off the chart insane. Cryptic really needs to rethink the bull**** with Dilithium levels and the cap. I spend a lot on this game but I will NEVER buy in game currency on principle. I will however stop spending real money (about $100 a month on average) for little extras if Cryptic keeps up with the money grab design focus. This is exactly why I loathe F2P philosophy.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I got about the same results for 25 items, 20 space and 5 ground ones. I think mine was around 5,000,000-7,000,000 EC and about 300,000-350,000 Dilithium. I did use some Rare kits before eventually just buying the vendor ones.

Payed for all the TimeGating as well.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well, they want to hit where it hurts. Sorry, that pain can wait.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    draogndraogn Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    it's just another system that they are trying to monetize and turn into a cash grab. I know you can earn Dil through game play, but that isn't what they are counting on players doing.
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Applying a tech upgrade should be no more than 150 Dil, IF that much. Personally, I don't fell we should have to pay Dil to apply a token after having had to buy or craft them in the first place. We damn sure shouldn't have to wait anywhere from 45 minutes to several hours to "finish" upgrading or pay Dil to by pass it.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I spent ~9m EC and ~70k Dil to...

Polarized Disruptor Array Mk XI -> Mk XII
    Nanite Disruptor Array Mk XI -> Mk XII
    2x Rare Induction Coil Mk XI -> VR Mk XIII
    VR Conductive RCS Mk XII -> Mk XIII
    VR Exciter Mk XII -> Mk XIII
    Rare Bioneural Mk XII -> VR Mk XIII
    Hydrodynamic Mk XII -> Mk XIII

...er, and uh - yeah, I used the Finish Now which bumped the Dil cost a smidgen.

Used a mix of 5k ITUs from the Exchange and 2k BTUs from the Vendor (still think it's a trip folks are charging 15-20k+ for the BTUs when they're 10k from the vendor).

One of those...oh, this is fun...oh, I'm broke sort of things...heh/meh.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    draogn wrote: »
    it's just another system that they are trying to monetize and turn into a cash grab. I know you can earn Dil through game play, but that isn't what they are counting on players doing.
    The dilith reward for most DOFF missions are 5 dilith. The rewards for elite STF outside of Borg ones is about 240. The cost for things considerably higher by a couple orders of magnitude and all of it lock behind an 8k gate super choke point that RMT can of course get around easily enough and to add further insult to injury only adds to inflating the cost for future purchases. Its a lose/lose situation for the player it seems.... :(
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    aspartan1 wrote: »
    The dilith reward for most DOFF missions are 5 dilith. The rewards for elite STF outside of Borg ones is about 240. The cost for things considerably higher by a couple orders of magnitude and all of it lock behind an 8k gate super choke point that RMT can of course get around easily enough and to add further insult to injury only adds to inflating the cost for future purchases. Its a lose/lose situation for the player it seems.... :(
    An ESTF awards almost 1,000 Dilithium, plus the other rewards can be converted to Dilithium for even more. No ESTF only awards 240. You get more then 240 doing Foundry missions. You can go and do a dino hunt and make 8,000 in less then an hour.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    An ESTF awards almost 1,000 Dilithium, plus the other rewards can be converted to Dilithium for even more. No ESTF only awards 240. You get more then 240 doing Foundry missions. You can go and do a dino hunt and make 8,000 in less then an hour.
    The Borg ones do but I did the Spire and the Planet killer the other day and checked the system message and saw 240 for each mission. Maybe I missed something as normally dont pay attention to dilith levels as it is not the reason I want to play something nor should it ever be in my opinion.
  • Options
    odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Sounds like some of you guys are upgrading a more expensive way than necessary. The cost of your impatience is your own problem.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    Sounds like some of you guys are upgrading a more expensive way than necessary. The cost of your impatience is your own problem.

ssshhh, they hate it would people point that out :P

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    isvarnaisvarna Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I admit, at first I was spending my saved up Dilith, but now I've slowed down and am just letting the timer run. Thanks to this, I just brought the full Borg set ( yes, a second one ) for my KDF shuttle.

Patience is it's own virtue, and it makes for big bucks saved too! =3

No kidding, I took a measured approach to upgrading my first item, upgraded my Adapted MACO deflector from 12 to 13 and spent a little less than 19k and about 70k EC. And even then I used a somewhat suboptimal approach with 2nd tier upgrade kits since my Science R&D is still at 14.

It's all about pipelining honestly. I set the 10 minute project up, hopped in an STF, rinse repeat 3 times and I had the upgrade started in under an hour and half the dil I spent back.

Edit: In retrospect, if my math's right, taking an optimal approach to the upgrades I could've completed the upgrade in about half the dil cost so....yeah I guess I really should be more careful going forward.
    ↓ ↓ This is why we can't have nice things. ↓ ↓
  • Options
    grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited September 2014

And still thats the problem that darn daily cap off 8000 Dilithium...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    aspartan1 wrote: »
    The Borg ones do but I did the Spire and the Planet killer the other day and checked the system message and saw 240 for each mission. Maybe I missed something as normally dont pay attention to dilith levels as it is not the reason I want to play something nor should it ever be in my opinion.

No, you are correct.

I play Storming The Spire Elite and the Undine elite STFs on a regular basis. They only reward 240 dilithium.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Always run your upgrade projects before you log off. It's pointless to use the hurry now Dilithium option and you are just throwing your dilithium away.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Back when we used to play, you'd earn dil for starting timegates in the reputation system.

They said dil is a time currency you earn by spending your time (playing).

I lived without reputations, fleet and lockbox gear - and I consider crafting and upgrading vastly inferior to all of those, so try again cryptic
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Wait a moment, does this cost include speeding up the upgrade process? Why bother with that? Just start the upgrade before you log off for the day.
    ----

And otherwise... have you calculated what it would cost to rebuy all your Mark XII gear?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    odyssey47 wrote: »

Agreed. Want to reduce dilithium costs? How about some patience when upgrading your gear?
  • Options
    maskedmarvel1maskedmarvel1 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I haven't crafted anything yet im still levelling up the skill levels of my characters crafting, does the crafting skill level of your character have any effect on how much it costs to craft items or the time it takes or the quality of what you make.
  • Options
    philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Patience is OP.

Please nerf.

Gotta keep those servers and Devs humming.... :P
    Are we there yet?
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I haven't crafted anything yet im still levelling up the skill levels of my characters crafting, does the crafting skill level of your character have any effect on how much it costs to craft items or the time it takes or the quality of what you make.

you unlock a few nicer items at 15. and as your skill level increase so does your chance of making a better item or in the case of components higher crit rate to make more. by 15 making rares should be normal by 20 green should be almost unheard of. oh and crit research to level faster should increase as well.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Your crafting skill does not have any direct impact on the equipment upgrading process. It is indirectly related as only at level 15 can you personally craft the superior upgrade tech. These superior ones give you the best bang for the dilithium.

Your crafting skill does come into play when crafting new equipment though.... higher your skill better chance for a crit when crafting new items. And at level 15 you can craft reliably the exclusive equipment (wide angle cannons for example).

This is from memory, so I trust someone will correct me if I'm wrong...... :o

Edit: Don't believe that it helps in the cost or time, just the chance at better grade of equipment (rare; very rare; etc) when creating new equipment. And as far as I've read, the max level of equipment you can craft is Mk 12.
    Are we there yet?
  • Options
    cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hmm i dunno why we cant just buy a update kit from lobi store instead of doing all that researching TRIBBLE wasting dilithium and ec which tbh i cant be bothered to grind for anymore as i thought i had all of my toons having pretty decent gear now.

50 lobi for a upgrade kit or somit for a boost from xii to xiv and 25 lobi for ground gear boosts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dreadcalldreadcall Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    isvarna wrote: »
    Edit: In retrospect, if my math's right, taking an optimal approach to the upgrades I could've completed the upgrade in about half the dil cost so....yeah I guess I really should be more careful going forward.

The green and blue tech upgrades are a HUGE ripoff when it comes to dilithium.

basic kits give you 2000 tech points for 700 dil -> 2.86 TP/dil.
    improved ones give you 500 tech points for 950 dil ->5.26 TP/dil
    superiors give you 12800 tech points for 1075 dil -> 11.91 TP/dil

Upgrades will cost you 4.17 times as much dilithium if you use basic kits compared to superior ones.
    If you value your dilithium you should just stick to the purple kits.
  • Options
    illyrian2008illyrian2008 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    400 k dil?

Pfft, pocket change, it will take you just 50 days of grinding for it or small insignifcant money transfer to Cryptic.

Why waste 50 days when you won't even miss that little chunk of change?
  • Options
    thegcbaconthegcbacon Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Another person who only uses the forums to complain about their own ignorance. If you had bothered to read upgrade related threads/blogs, then you might have saved yourself some DIL. I also find it funny that mk13 stats aren't much better then mk12, but ppl are wasting tons of DIL upgrading still.
  • Options
    illyrian2008illyrian2008 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    thegcbacon wrote: »
    Another person who only uses the forums to complain about their own ignorance. If you had bothered to read upgrade related threads/blogs, then you might have saved yourself some DIL. I also find it funny that mk13 stats aren't much better then mk12, but ppl are wasting tons of DIL upgrading still.

I am selling this amazing collection of pig lipsticks, you can use it on your pet.
  • Options
    damix4damix4 Member Posts: 608 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    400 k dil?

Why waste 50 days when you won't even miss that little chunk of change?

Yeah, I think new Elite difficulty on PvE will be doable with XII gear so I'm not in a hurry to upgrade it.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2014

some maybe able to do that, but burn out with be a major factor lets alone the various entitlement claims.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.