test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

NEW WEAPONS and CONSOLES

phtaylor23phtaylor23 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Federation Discussion
This is my first thread so give me a break. First off the game is great yet I feel there are two key things missing.

The first being there isn't a Tetryon torpedo, instead of kinetic damage have it do energy damage that only damage the shields not the hull make it similar to the plasma torpedo instead of plasma use tetryon particles to bombard the shields.

Second a console I think everyone will love the Universal-Console-Longbow Targeting System, increase range to 20KM at the expanse of 50% damage but you get a boost to accuracy like 10% or 25% whatever the devs think is fair also it lasts 15 Sec and the cooldown is 3 to 5 minutes again whatever the devs decide is fair.

A console like this would revolutionize the combat of STO and the tetryon torpedo will make things more interesting to those that shield tank there ships. Well thank you for reading through this thread please comment and share your concerns and feelings about these two items.
Post edited by phtaylor23 on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Interesting ideas... however... can you please use the enter key every once in a while? You gave us a block.

Now... all torpedoes cause kinetic damage, no matter what type they are. Plasma just slaps a DoT as well. I honestly don't know how a Tetryon Torpedo would work, considering we've got shield ripping Tetryon weapons already. Not to mention the general dislike of Tetryon as "Other damage types rip shields just as effectively and are more useful". I use Phased Tetryon myself, so I'm one of the oddballs that doesn't mind Tetryon.

The console... would it work with all weapons or just torpedoes? We've already got a lobi store cannon that has some extended range.

Overall... I believe it is worth thinking about and fleshing out the idea for further discussion.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    senseiarksenseiark Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    INTERESTING......

I like the idea for the Console

Also, another idea, add a feature for the console where every-single beam weapon (or energy weapon) Combines into one massive blast, at the cost of weapons power and renders all other energy weapons disabled for some seconds

So a Massive Beam Overload on steroids. ;)
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Eh... with the current state of Beam Overload always critting, by design... might not be a good idea.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited September 2014
    Shield killing Torpedoes and a range enhancer. Sounds like you want to buff the ships that can fire torpedoes while cloaked.

None of them are Federation yet.
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Shield killing Torpedoes and a range enhancer. Sounds like you want to buff the ships that can fire torpedoes while cloaked.

None of them are Federation yet.

So, it has no chance of happening.
  • Options
    jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    an interesting related idea i could see happening, is to let weapons fire from outside 10km, but all systems lose 5-10 power per kilomoter out, to simulate the drain of extending weapon range
  • Options
    reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    13 km are irrelevant.

There are already the Tetryon Burn cannon and its special ability: snipe shot, from the hirogen-lobi set.
    They have 12 KM range and believe me when i tell you: it makes no difference. Definitely not something you wish to take up an extra console slot for. Especially not if you also have severe penalties for using it AND a long cooldown.

As For the shield killing torpedo: What for? It won't actually enhance shield breaking and since it does no damage to hull, you are wasting a weapon slot.
    If a vape of bo3 and 3 heavy cannons does not brake a shield, a torpedo adding a bit of tet damage will make no difference.

No, i think torpedoes should if anything get interesting secondary effects. Like the Gravi torp. Or the Bio photons HY fire mode, where the torp basically becomes a puffed up torpedo, think heavy plasma, but without the danger of being intercepted.

I can certainly see a torp that:

On normal fire, will do kinetic + a guranteed tetryon shield drain
    On Spread, will create a a link between all targets, the targets now all spark tetryon jolts at each other for a few seconds.
    Hy will fire a large torpedo, like the bio photon, that leaves behind a tetryon cloud that will AOE shield drain.
    Klingons get a special variant that mixes in theta radiation, so it also kills crew ad hinders sensors.
    Romulans get a special variant that randomly drops Viral matrix 1 on its targets.
    The Federation get the standard one, but theirs deals more kinetic damage.
  • Options
    artemisa0kartemisa0k Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I do like the idea of a shield killing torpedo, not really sure about just doing tetryon damage however, something that put a DoT on the target similar to the hirogen tetryon weapons/plasma burn for shields and also reduced the innate shield resistance of the target could be interesting.

the increased range console I'm not sure about really I would say if they just had it add the increased range passively to all energy weapons however extend the current falloff mechanic to take that into account to a larger degree it would be fine since you would be doing really low damage at that distance however could still potentially be adding proc's to debuff your target a bit before you got into decent weapons range.

honestly tho I have always thought torpedo's should have a longer range than energy weaponry however due to how much they are effected by shields it would be kind of a moot point, although the above mentioned torpedo with a shield resistance debuff and dot could actually be fairly effective if its range was 13+
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    This was a idea I had for all ships not just Klingon.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Okay so I increased the range to 20KM thats double the range normally also it works for all weapons at the expanse of increased power usage. Thank you to jarodroto123 for that idea.

Also the tetryon torpedo wouldn't do kinetic damage it's like the cluster torpedo instead of exploding like plasma when it reaches the ships shields it releases a tetryon particle cloud.

I have a idea for a new torpedo that hasn't been made its the borg nanite torpedo (voyager). This would be perfect for those ANNOYING undine ships.

So please tell me your ideas also tell me your thoughts about these changes, and as always fly true everyone.
  • Options
    dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited September 2014
    phtaylor23 wrote: »
    This was a idea I had for all ships not just Klingon.

The Romulan too have ships that can shoot torpedoes while cloaked. So it's just the Feds who won't have that option.
    Okay so I increased the range to 20KM thats double the range normally also it works for all weapons at the expanse of increased power usage. Thank you to jarodroto123 for that idea.

Also the tetryon torpedo wouldn't do kinetic damage it's like the cluster torpedo instead of exploding like plasma when it reaches the ships shields it releases a tetryon particle cloud.

I have a idea for a new torpedo that hasn't been made its the borg nanite torpedo (voyager). This would be perfect for those ANNOYING undine ships.

So please tell me your ideas also tell me your thoughts about these changes, and as always fly true everyone.

The game engine is designed with combat around 10km, one weapon can get a bit more range. But at 20km you don't even know what your shooting at.

Tetryon is a Energy type in this game, we don't have Phaser Torpedoes, or Disruptor Torpedoes where Plasma is both an Energy and Damage type but boosted by separate consoles. Tetryon is considered the worst weapon type in the game because the 2.5% chance to do next to no damage to all shields is worthless then any other proc.

There is a Nanite Torpedo, it's a console on a Lobi ship one of the Tal Shiar Adapted Borg ones. From what I'm told it kind of sucks.
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    There are Tachyon Mines in the Lobi store that do damage to shields instead of kinetic damage. Of course the play style for mines is different from torpedoes.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    reynoldsxd wrote: »
    < lots of good stuff>

I like the cut of your thinking-jib, sir.

The quite like idea of modifying torps to do interesting things when HY or TS is used, as it makes torpedoes and mines more interesting weapon choices. Unfortunately, TS doesn't get the love it should.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I seem to remember that there were ranges beyond the magical 10 limit pre-launch... Seemed to create certain issues that I don't quite remember what they were about.

Love the shield-sucker though.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    The first being there isn't a Tetryon torpedo, instead of kinetic damage have it do energy damage that only damage the shields not the hull make it similar to the plasma torpedo instead of plasma use tetryon particles to bombard the shields.

But DR will bring in a "polaron" like torpedo. Muahahaha.......
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Okay forget the console just get the Tetyron Torpedo. It would be interesting to have something that does shield damage instead of hull damage, I think the creators will give us the tetyron torpedo if we sign a petition for it.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Okay forget the console just get the Tetyron Torpedo. It would be interesting to have something that does shield damage instead of hull damage, I think the creators will give us the tetyron torpedo if we sign a petition for it.

Petitions aren't allowed on the forums. Maybe collect signatures and send them a letter ? ;)
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Why would you want to shoot from higher range for even more dmg loss? What you wanna do is get as close as possible to do as much dmg as possible not nibble away at there shields for an hour
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    make the emissions guided torpedo fire-able without any target, and have it search out in the firing arc to 10KM. if it passes within 1.5KM of a cloaked ship it could either detonate a CPB or just home in and go boom
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    make the emissions guided torpedo fire-able without any target, and have it search out in the firing arc to 10KM. if it passes within 1.5KM of a cloaked ship it could either detonate a CPB or just home in and go boom

So many fantastic ideas, so few open slots to store these items...

Until I buy more slots. And I'd totally go for this! (Plus the OP's original post. I'm hooked on tetryon weapons lately.)

GREAT ideas from the both of you! :cool: Cryptic, make it so!
  • Options
    diabolical91diabolical91 Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited September 2014

The borg Nanite voyager torpedo IS in game its called the Enhanced bio-molecular photon torpedo an does the big explosion at the end of scorpion just the same I love it cause I can get crits of 30k + on it
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited September 2014
    Tetryon weapons are among the least favoured by players with experience. It's an argument from a dozen threads; the simple truth is it's proc is of limited use when you consider the entire engagement as a whole. You can build a more effective drain build which in addition to stripping shields, will do more damage. Disrupters, polarons, even phasers can be made more effective that Tet.

Tet's value is cosmetic - you like the look of the weapon, or it's sound effects - more power to you.

Play in a way that makes you happy.

Now - a Long Bow Console is a cool idea. Combat at range has it's benefits; I'd love to lob a cluster torpedo out at 20km plus. It would facilitate a new generation of builds, those focused on long range sensors and weapons that potentially could make a difference.

I suspect though the developers may have an argument against it. Combat at that distance isn't the cool, engaging space combat we've come to know. If you'be played EVE, staring at non-rendered markers as opposed to an enemies hull isn't really that cool. The real strength of STO is it's engaging starship combat.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    The tetryon torpedo is more for low lvl people that are struggling to take shields down. Also I think this would be fun to use as a torp boat/support unit.
  • Options
    reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The tetryon torpedo is more for low lvl people that are struggling to take shields down. Also I think this would be fun to use as a torp boat/support unit.

Putting the power setting to 100 weapon power will do far more in that regard than any fancy torpedo these players would most likely not even know how to utilize properly.

They are willfully too dumb "But i like stronger shields because i'm stupid and new and refuse to educate myself about the game mechanics of the game i am playing!" to put power to weapons but are expected to not only know about such a torpedo but also learn to utilize it properly?

LOL wtf.

Do not make anything intended for "new players" ever.
    Make interesting things that will hold up well into the endgame.

I would positively love crazy fun things.

Like a new torpedo launcher type in general. The Volley tube. It is available for every torpedo that is not tricobalt or reputation or special issue by mission reward.

It fires, as its basic fire mode, 10 torpedoes. It Has a 2 minute cool down (reduce able by torpedo doffs).
    You can combine it with HY or Spread, and in both cases it will fully increase the numbers as you expect it.

A 10 torp volley becomes a 40 torp volley with HY3.
    Spread 3 spews an incredible amount that will brighten the screen.

Both powers impose a big cool down penalty on the launcher.

So yes, you will have a torp boat spew torpedo death at things, and some unprepared or under tanked things will simply go under, burning and screaming.

However, we already have this with all the Vape builds, the BO/Rapidfire/scatter/pene madness. We have ludicrous FAW boats. At this point, adding something cool and fun to use for the connoisseur of projectile doom is not out of line.

Go ahead, build a ship tooled around maximizing this weapon type. Why not?

Can you see it? a bunch of ships coming out of full impulse, barreling down on you and suddenly they all vomit a cloud of torpedoes at you... better brace for impact, pop all resists, secure the kittens and put on the manpants, because the rain of death has started.

Obviously, should they fail to bust you with this they will be sitting there is torpedo boats. huh....
  • Options
    maxgiovannimaxgiovanni Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Why would you want to shoot from higher range for even more dmg loss? What you wanna do is get as close as possible to do as much dmg as possible not nibble away at there shields for an hour

The type of ships that would benifit the most from this, even with the damage loss at greater than normal ranges, would be the carriers, as whatever they carry in their hangers pretty much represents the main weapon system or utility of a full-size (two hangar) carrier. The ability for the fighters and shuttles to have support fire from their source ship out to their base range of 15 km would be nice.

Maybe even have a new Flight Deck Officer Doff ability to mitigate the damage fade if used on targets withing the range of your fighters/shuttles. On the other hand, firing at targets from such extreme ranges also puts you at risk of gaining unwanted attention if you manage to do more damage than your fighters and shuttles. After all, the whole point of fighting "way over there" is to keep the fight "way over there!" Otherwise you may as well just stick to the standard 10 Km combat effective range and be done with it.
  • Options
    maxgiovannimaxgiovanni Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014

It's not that hard to take down shields in low level missions... <.<;;

If a new player is having difficulty getting through shields during a battle, chances are they either haven't adjusted their subsystem priorities yet, or haven't upgraded to their weapons to match their current mark capacity.

As far as game mechanics go, torpedos have a much lower firing rate than beams and cannons, so using one as a shield buster is a terrible idea since the ship using them is much less likely to have something suitable to follow them up with. As opposed to the existing mechanic of using your beams or cannons to drop enemy shields and then popping the hull with a torp.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The type of ships that would benifit the most from this, even with the damage loss at greater than normal ranges, would be the carriers, as whatever they carry in their hangers pretty much represents the main weapon system or utility of a full-size (two hangar) carrier. The ability for the fighters and shuttles to have support fire from their source ship out to their base range of 15 km would be nice.

Maybe even have a new Flight Deck Officer Doff ability to mitigate the damage fade if used on targets withing the range of your fighters/shuttles. On the other hand, firing at targets from such extreme ranges also puts you at risk of gaining unwanted attention if you manage to do more damage than your fighters and shuttles. After all, the whole point of fighting "way over there" is to keep the fight "way over there!" Otherwise you may as well just stick to the standard 10 Km combat effective range and be done with it.

Can you say:

Recluse, AP-O III, BFaW III, 3xDBB fore, KCB & Omni-Array aft. Sprinkle in BFaW and AP-B from Mesh Weavers - who cares if you're doing "half damage" cause you're at R 12 even...

My kiddo watches that New Teen Titans thing, and I can hear one of those characters now...

"Pain. Pain. Pain..."

Then season with a Tac captain at the helm of all this...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This is my first thread so give me a break. First off the game is great yet I feel there are two key things missing.

Second a console I think everyone will love the Universal-Console-Longbow Targeting System, increase range to 20KM at the expanse of 50% damage but you get a boost to accuracy like 10% or 25% whatever the devs think is fair also it lasts 15 Sec and the cooldown is 3 to 5 minutes again whatever the devs decide is fair.

A console like this would revolutionize the combat of STO and the tetryon torpedo will make things more interesting to those that shield tank there ships. Well thank you for reading through this thread please comment and share your concerns and feelings about these two items.

IMHO bad idea:

1) torpedoes are intended to do kynetic damage, to drain/disable shield we have several specific abilities (most science, but also subsystem targeting) and weapons. Actually both for pvp and pve removing/disabling shields is not difficult both using those abilities and/or dealing damage. Moreover a similar torpedo will put out of control shield draining (imagine a sci vessel build for draining... that torpedo will be OP; imagine that torpedo on every ship... simply too much)

2) too op also that consoles. It will be used on every ship and will be the way to wipe everything using FaW and staying safe from every npc.It will be also devasting in pvp for the same reason.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves