test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Idran Swarmers

boogieman624boogieman624 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Ten Forward
Did Anyone else notice the Idran Swarmers Look An Awful Lot Like The Swarmers Seen In The Dyson Sphere?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Yea... now that you mention it... they do...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Did Anyone else notice the Idran Swarmers Look An Awful Lot Like The Swarmers Seen In The Dyson Sphere?
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Yea... now that you mention it... they do...

True true but dont you guys know cryptics motto?

Cryptics Motto
  • Options
    kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Considering how often ships and alien make-up were retooled and/or reused in pretty much every Star Trek series...I guess you could say it's canon to do such a thing?
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If memory serves either in the description of the Obelisk carrier or the Obelisk swarmers hangar item, it mentions there may be a connection to Idran swarmers. So it's even acknowledged intentionally and officially that there may be a connection and not just a copy-paste.
  • Options
    leighandrew12leighandrew12 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well in 'Sphere of Influence' it was mentioned in the giant 'map' room that the Iconians were interested in both the delta and gamma quadrants. Use your imagination, maybe they were scouts or probes or maybe part of some ancient but non functioning outpost?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Exposing fakes since 2374
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    this was intentional and has been confirmed they are meant to be the same.
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Can someone remind what these Idran swarmers are?

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    this was intentional and has been confirmed they are meant to be the same.

I am gonna use that excuse next time I am too lazy to do anything but a copy-paste job... I am sure my boss will buy it.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    I am gonna use that excuse next time I am too lazy to do anything but a copy-paste job... I am sure my boss will buy it.

the swarmers were introduced proper around the time of season 8. they introduced a dyson sphere with two zones, a fe with worf, a later one with tuvok, a battlezone, a new enemy group in the voth, voth cut scenes etc.

but they were too lazy to make one new drone?
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    From the looks of things, the Idran swarmers are a mining variant of the Solanae swarmers. The combat logs only further that suspicion, as they say the swarmers are damaging you with "Mining Beam".

Think about it this way - the Jenolan and Solanae Dyson spheres are both built by Iconian servitor races, but they're not built according to the same specifications (external, definitely, and possibly internal) - they just use a lot of the same principles, and may or may not have different purposes.

Similarly, the Idran and Solanae swarmers are both unmanned drones presumably based on Iconian designs, but they fill two different roles and may or may not have been built by two different races (both of which are Iconians or their slaves).

Edit: Okay, apparently it's Mining Laser, not Mining Beam. Just looked it up on STOWiki.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    dalolorn wrote: »
    From the looks of things, the Idran swarmers are a mining variant of the Solanae swarmers. The combat logs only further that suspicion, as they say the swarmers are damaging you with "Mining Beam".

Think about it this way - the Jenolan and Solanae Dyson spheres are both built by Iconian servitor races, but they're not built according to the same specifications (external, definitely, and possibly internal) - they just use a lot of the same principles, and may or may not have different purposes.

Similarly, the Idran and Solanae swarmers are both unmanned drones presumably based on Iconian designs, but they fill two different roles and may or may not have been built by two different races (both of which are Iconians or their slaves).

Edit: Okay, apparently it's Mining Laser, not Mining Beam. Just looked it up on STOWiki.

Interesting point, then that means,, those swarmers in the Gamma Quadrant could be building another sphere nearby? They could even be coming and going into a secret gateway nearby to haul materials to a star for construction, though in that case another sphere (Ether partially built or fully) may or may not be in the Gamma quadrant, we may not have seen the last of the spheres!
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    grylak wrote: »

The things that dickhead Ferengi sics on you when you go into the Gamma Quadrant in "Operation Gamma".
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Ah yes the Ferangi... I had him killed on my first playthrough. Not very Starfleet, but I wasn't in the mood for pests that day
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Ah yes the Ferangi... I had him killed on my first playthrough. Not very Starfleet, but I wasn't in the mood for pests that day

Farek's a she. :P

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    the swarmers were introduced proper around the time of season 8. they introduced a dyson sphere with two zones, a fe with worf, a later one with tuvok, a battlezone, a new enemy group in the voth, voth cut scenes etc.

but they were too lazy to make one new drone?

Sums it up quite nicely.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Farek's a she. :P

I remember now. All i could remember was scattering Ferangi bits all over space :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I remember now. All i could remember was scattering Ferangi bits all over space :)

And what's ironic is that I killed Farek when I was useing my Ferengi. But after all "a deal is a deal...until a better one comes along", and one did:P.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i read this thread title as indian shawarma
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    grylak wrote: »

They're the things I fight when I want to get 10 lockboxes in a very short amount of time. :P
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.