test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Discussion: Playable Borg faction now possible?

akneadiaakneadia Member Posts: 38 Arc User
So with the race teaser for delta rising we have seen the cooperative has been introduced does this mean we can feasibly have a playable Borg faction. Primarily as this is a faction of the Borg that can not have the hive mind aspect which makes sense when you are controlling your officer as a unique entity also the fact this is a faction that can be part of the alliance that is becoming a thing in newer plot lines.

The only concern i would see is that plot wise would it not be very similar to Romulan Republic plot line. Thoughts?
Post edited by akneadia on

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Cryptic has long talked about a possible Emancipated Borg Micro-Faction. Most of the Dev comments I have heard seem to imply that Expansion 3 will be a new Micro-Faction, but it will focus on the Cardassians. Cards are the next most popular Faction for the players - and their troubles seem to mimic the New Romulans' so that the alliance system makes sense for them.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    yes cardassans - crafting like it was romulans - fleet bases becouse no one would throw so much resources to new faction...
    anyway cardassians arent interesting. they have to rebuild home planet like romulans, so why should we have 2 so similar factions.
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    binebane wrote: »
    yes cardassans - crafting like it was romulans - fleet bases becouse no one would throw so much resources to new faction...
    anyway cardassians arent interesting. they have to rebuild home planet like romulans, so why should we have 2 so similar factions.

They have to rebuild their home planet. 35 years later and they are still rebuilding. I doubt it.

Even WWII didn't take this long to clean up. ANd the Cardies have all the help from the Federation from day one. They are pretty rebuild.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i'd rather have borg and other "vilain" species as a PVP "Monsterplay" faction.

Now what is that? To anybody who played LOTRO it should be fairly clear, but here is an explanation anyway.

Instead of doing PVP in YOUR specific ship, you can choose a faction with prebuild ships depending on the scenario you chose.

For instance: If you want to reinact the battle of WOLF 359, you fisrt choose what side you want to participate. If you want to play as a BORG, you will enter the match as a borg sphere or a probe and your goal would be to protect the assimilation cube. If you choose Starfleet your goal would be to destroy that cube while flying a prebuild (beefed up) Miranda, Excelsior, ...
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    binebane wrote: »
    Whether or not Cardassians are interesting is a subjective concept. I do not consider Liberated Borg to be all that interesting. :)

If Cryptic is going to stick with the 2 Faction PvP then every Micro-Faction is going to come to the game via the alliance system. It does not matter if it is Cardassians or Emancipated Borg.

With the Cardassians you have foes in the True Way, Mirror Universe, and Dominion. That is a fairly large group that can offer a wide variety of missions. Emancipated Borgs' primary foes would seem to be Borg trying to bring them back into the Collective. To be honest I am sick of Borg. I would much rather see stories dealing with True Way, MU, and the Dominion. But that is just me.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    plummyg33gplummyg33g Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I am waiting for Cardassian (Scorpions of the Star Trek) & Dominion faction. They deserve to be playable faction.

Victory is life :D

http://gaming.trekcore.com/armada2/ships-cardassian.html
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    And while we are at it, I saw in a trailer that Quinn was commanding a ship from the bridge, could we do that too?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yes, Alliance makes sense for Cardassians. Sadly it made zero sense for Romulans.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    dpsloss88 wrote: »
    Yes, Alliance makes sense for Cardassians. Sadly it made zero sense for Romulans.
    It makes perfect sense for Reunification Romulans. The regular Romulans are still there, being evil as always. Likewise it makes perfect sense for Emancipated Borg; but the regular Borg are still there being evil as always.

Ultimately CBS is not going to let people play an "evil" Faction.
  • Options
    nefarius2nefarius2 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If they make Intelligence a class, i think a Cardassian Intelligence officer would be very interesting.:D
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Well actually the cardies joining the feds make sense but not the klinks as all in all the interactions between the two with all my characters is really hostile. Not sure how that would effect the game with a faction given only to the feds but i am finding it hard to see cardies allied with klinks
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    akneadia wrote: »
    Well actually the cardies joining the feds make sense but not the klinks as all in all the interactions between the two with all my characters is really hostile. Not sure how that would effect the game with a faction given only to the feds but i am finding it hard to see cardies allied with klinks

dont matter what makes sense when the next mini faction it will be just like romulan at level 10 you will pick fed or kdf end of story
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Considering how many times the KDF and RSE have been at war with each other - pre STO canon and post - if those two groups can get along in an alliance system the Cardassians should not have much issue. Heck, the Cadassians and the Federation have now had 2 wars with each other, but they can still be allies in the game.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I know I am being a little foolish but would hope that cryptic would not destroy its own story, other peoples story maybe but their own.....
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    They have to rebuild their home planet. 35 years later and they are still rebuilding. I doubt it.

Even WWII didn't take this long to clean up. ANd the Cardies have all the help from the Federation from day one. They are pretty rebuild.

Given how long things take to do now compared to 100 years ago... I wouldn't put it past Health & Safety officials to have driven it to that point in 300 years time.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Cryptic has long talked about a possible Emancipated Borg Micro-Faction. Most of the Dev comments I have heard seem to imply that Expansion 3 will be a new Micro-Faction, but it will focus on the Cardassians. Cards are the next most popular Faction for the players - and their troubles seem to mimic the New Romulans' so that the alliance system makes sense for them.

they are the 4th major power in the alpha/beta quadrants where trek is based from, they have to be added as a matter of necessity to the original ip. if its true that the cardassians are that faction, i would be willing to wait until next year if im still around by then or can still play by then.

besides that there was an interview with salamiinferno earlier in the year, one of the questions was about playable factions, the response was that there wouldnt be anything playable for the foreseeable future, or something on that line of thought. i seriously doubt the cooperative are going to be playable. what you saw was likely lts perk lib borg.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    also with the rebuilding it seems the detepa council love infighting with members trying to only pass things they want and also then you have true way continually attacking them. So I can see how it would take this long.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    they are the 4th major power in the alpha/beta quadrants where trek is based from, they have to be added as a matter of necessity to the original ip. if its true that the cardassians are that faction, i would be willing to wait until next year if im still around by then or can still play by then.

besides that there was an interview with salamiinferno earlier in the year, one of the questions was about playable factions, the response was that there wouldnt be anything playable for the foreseeable future, or something on that line of thought. i seriously doubt the cooperative are going to be playable. what you saw was likely lts perk lib borg.
    The information was talking about a third Expansion Pack in early 2016, not in 2015 - which would seem to coincide with the time between LoR and DR.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Considering how many times the KDF and RSE have been at war with each other - pre STO canon and post - if those two groups can get along in an alliance system the Cardassians should not have much issue. Heck, the Cadassians and the Federation have now had 2 wars with each other, but they can still be allies in the game.

the cardassians know they were wrong with the dominion war, and knew they were wrong during the border wars, specifically setlik 3. the latter one soldier told another about how terrible those days were and how wrong they were about the conflict by acting on bad intelligence and the other stated he never fired to kill before, not even on the vaporize setting, he didnt want what he turned into because of that conflict.

the dominion, the cardassians allied with the romulans, the obsidian order got wiped out, dukat himself uses the chance to seize power for himself and drag cardassia into a war through desperation because of the klingons.

the former only happened because the klingons were being far too reckless. in any event, garak admitted how much of the old cardassia is lost how arrogant the cardassians became over the years, they had to change and they knew it. the chances are that with lang leading the efforts and garak providing close support in dealing with the federation without issue because of his knowledge working within and beside the group as an ally, that would be very useful to future dealings, but there still remains the issue of bajoran and cardassian relations if a cardassian captain has to choose a side, feds or kdf. by choosing feds there would automatically have to be something bajoran involved to end the hostilities and gain greater acceptance by those around them in the quadrants. they choose the kdf, they could ignore helping the bajorans and instead hit a harder target that would end up helping the bajorans anyways. however its far too early for this type of discussion.

the kdf and rse were never involved in a war that was ever seen, i doubt there was direct conflict between them or the federation would have to keep an eye on their own borders every time. there was however an incident that turned then once powerful allies of the kdf and rse against each other and they eventually became very hostile but not overly to the point to a full out shooting war.
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ashrod63 wrote: »
    Given how long things take to do now compared to 100 years ago... I wouldn't put it past Health & Safety officials to have driven it to that point in 300 years time.

But you are forgetting.... the devolving speed skills of wherever you live will be compensated by Andorians, who simply don't have the patience to wait for officials. By Vulcans, who will already do everything logical before our officials make decisions. By Tellarites, who will rather aggresively respond to our delays. And to the rest of the Federation.

Besides, Cardassia lost about 20% of its population max juring the war, most during the genocides. The losses they led before the final battle were relatively few compared to the massive destruction of Cardassia. What does this leave us? About 80% still alive, of which many had grown used to doing the hard work. Next to that they got immediate support from the Federation and the Ferengi.

They don't have their former power, and probably never will. But if that planet is still a burning pile of ruins, I'm gonna eat my brand new Oddysey uniform.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    one would think after the Dominion bombarded Cardassia and all the Cadassians ships and ppl killed in that bloody war they not be a major nothing to anyone bear less a major power
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    The information was talking about a third Expansion Pack in early 2016, not in 2015 - which would seem to coincide with the time between LoR and DR.

im mentioning there is probably nothing playable in dr, but next year is possible with the cardassians if that is the case. and right now there is nothing yet that would point to a time when the cardassians are coming. they could if dr is a success establish x3 as early as the middle to the end of next year but thats upto them.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    im mentioning there is probably nothing playable in dr, but next year is possible with the cardassians if that is the case. and right now there is nothing yet that would point to a time when the cardassians are coming. they could if dr is a success establish x3 as early as the middle to the end of next year but thats upto them.
    I am in no rush for a fourth Faction. As I said in another thread, the 30+ Missions created for a Micro-Faction are better served creating 30+ Missions for the existing Factions to play, IMO. Micro-Factions benefit Cryptic financially, though - through the sale of C-Store ships and other Faction-specific items.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I am in no rush for a fourth Faction. As I said in another thread, the 30+ Missions created for a Micro-Faction are better served creating 30+ Missions for the existing Factions to play, IMO. Micro-Factions benefit Cryptic financially, though - through the sale of C-Store ships and other Faction-specific items.

neither am i, im just enjoying where the path of the storyline takes me, the rest is of no concern to me andnever has been really, not even t6 mirandas. anyways, it will come when it comes.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2014

I'm with you there. Microfaction missions are also inevitably mostly low-level content that works through the same gameplay progression as the early FED/KDF pseudo-tutorial missions. There were only a couple points in LoR got fun, and those were relatively late in the story, whereas even in its present state I'm loving the DR material on tribble because it can hit right off with more engaging battles that can assume you know how to equip a ship and fire a phaser [so watch out for all this [redacted] coming at you].
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Dear God in Heaven I hope we never see Liberated Borg as a full-fledged faction. There's just no reason for this, it's as bad or worse than playable Undine and Jem'Hadar ships flying over Spacedock (it's a little less egregious on Romulan/Reman characters, since you can make some logical conjecture about their resources and repurposing derelict ships).

As for the Cardassians, I wouldn't necessarily mind them as a faction (there'd certainly be more interest in buying a Cardassian pack than this GARBAGE Delta pack) but I'd much rather see heavier investment in fleshing out the existing Klingon and Romulan factions with additional flavor. Quality over quantity but that's just my take.

Didn't they tell us New Romulus would be growing and changing over time? What happened to that? :confused:
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Didn't they tell us New Romulus would be growing and changing over time? What happened to that? :confused:

what happen to them getting a romulan theme base for fleet bases what happen to them getting their own stf gear list goes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    rahmkota19 wrote: »

Maybe they contracted the rebuilding work out to the same people around here who do road renovations..... takes decades for them to get the job done.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    Maybe they contracted the rebuilding work out to the same people around here who do road renovations..... takes decades for them to get the job done.

Meh, the focal point for a Cardassian faction probably wouldn't be reconstruction. After all we've been there once before and what more you could do with a bad-guy-turned-reconciled-middle-man is pretty slim.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Whether or not Cardassians are interesting is a subjective concept. I do not consider Liberated Borg to be all that interesting. :)

If Cryptic is going to stick with the 2 Faction PvP then every Micro-Faction is going to come to the game via the alliance system. It does not matter if it is Cardassians or Emancipated Borg.

With the Cardassians you have foes in the True Way, Mirror Universe, and Dominion. That is a fairly large group that can offer a wide variety of missions. Emancipated Borgs' primary foes would seem to be Borg trying to bring them back into the Collective. To be honest I am sick of Borg. I would much rather see stories dealing with True Way, MU, and the Dominion. But that is just me.

indeed, also after the initial storyline of roms there were a lot of missions from the fed side to play through like the Romulan Mystery and Cardassian Struggle, many of these storys simply would not fit well in an Emancipated borg storyline.
    there have been many hints that if a new faction is launched it will likly be cardies.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.