test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

DEVS Get rid of the Need or Greed system.....

2»

Comments

• Options
    darin010darin010 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I was pressing Greed for a while when I satarted playing a long while ago and I never got a thing. Honestly now days if you don't press Need you really don't have much of a chance. I don't think I have been in one match in a long while where I saw any one press Greed. If you do you pretty much miss out or have a lower chance.
  • Options
    xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The Need/Greed system doesn't work well in STO because there isn't as much career specific loot. Just about everything except kits and kit modules can be used by everyone. So naturally we have a "Need everything" mentality.

I feel the answer is everyone gets their own loot. You only gamble with rare loot+ but you have to take the time to play dabo to win. In combat!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xblazex#7666 xblazex Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    thanks great response to this thread just wish a dev would at least voice their view on the matter
  • Options
    spartand1994spartand1994 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    In my experience the majority just choose "need" on everything making the system worthless so

Replace it with a "random loot " system where the system just distributes all loot based on a dice roll and save us an extra pop up and button push

I so agree with this idea. I really don't like having to choose "need" or "greed" as it distracts me from combat.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well, at least for non-PvE queue missions, you can set the game to use Round Robin(loot pickups rotate players) or free-for all.(whoever grabs the drop gets it)

It'd be nice if we could do that for STFs....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Cryptic designed a feature that awarded loot drops to players and placed the loot directly into their inventory for the game City of Heroes.

This, all day. Take my choice away and either give it to me or don't.
  • Options
    xblazex#7666 xblazex Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Wonders why none of the devs even want to comment on this
  • Options
    generalklanggeneralklang Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    rjcfoxtrot wrote: »
    I'd indeed be in favor for removing the roll system altogether, and replacing it with personal loot that is collectable at the end of an encounter. Similar to the mark box selection we get at the end of queued events.

I think I'd rather have "pay as you go" to allow for cryptic disconnects, but any plan beats need/greed in a PUG
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Why does everybody need on everything?

1)Everybody can use everything...no class restriction or whatever
    2)It is the main and even only way to generate EC in this game, if we leave out the exchange.

Before those 2 things aren't adressed, nothing will and should change.

possible solutions: missions should reward (more) EC...this is pretty common in most MMOs or RPGS anyway and to a certain degree already implemented anyway. It just needs to be expanded. Maybe add some EC to the mark boxes too.

Another solution would be to make loot personalized, so it only drops for you, invisible for anybody else in the grp. (Diablo 3 has this for instance)
    Items would still be tradeable, but the need/greed (during combat) would be gone that way.

personaly i'd get rid of the "dropping loot" completely and instead simply add EC to each kill you do. EC would get added to your "inventory" as if it was expertise or XP.

i find it cumbersome and imersion breaking to "pick up" a perfectly undamaged deflector or whatever from the wreckage (or cloud for that matter since there are no real wreckages) of a ship i just vaporized. Parts and maybe some cargo, sure...but a previously integral part of the ship i just blew up? No.

Items should only be provided via mission rewards (in grp missions based on performance and not ranking*),crafting, vendors and reputation factions.

*performance instead of ranking means that multiple people can be "first place" since it would require to reach a certain amount of DMG/HEALING instead of doing more than the other.
    1 rare item if you reach 1 million dmg/healing in an STF for instance. 1 rare and 1 very rare if you reach 2 millions, and so on.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Two fleets both have a policy of need I say let the computer decide.

Its time to make it loot or fix it so you set your choice and be done with it.

Nothing is more silly than having a popup every few second during combat.
    download.jpg
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    rjcfoxtrot wrote: »
    I'd indeed be in favor for removing the roll system altogether, and replacing it with personal loot that is collectable at the end of an encounter. Similar to the mark box selection we get at the end of queued events.

This basically. It's been suggested for years and apparently fallen on deaf ears.
  • Options
    generalklanggeneralklang Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lowy1 wrote: »
    Id say run it like ESO, if you get a hit on the mob you get a piece of loot. Then have each STF give a MK XII piece upon completion. Base it on DPS, the lower the DPS the better the piece of gear.

First, let me thank you for your suggestion that *I* get the best gear (LOL)

And second: I've looted 1...yes 1, piece of gear worthy of selling on exchange in 8 ISE runs over 2 days. I like your idea...particularly the part where I get the best gear based on inversely proportional dps loot scaling
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Can't say I disagree. The whole "need/greed" system just never seems to work in any MMO for me. It's even worse here as that idiotic box pops up in the middle of combat all the time. Just do like you did in CoH and everyone gets a chance at a drop. Whomever wins the RNG auto-roll gets the item. Done.

Yeah.

Also, let's stop the charade with the item-drops: they're all TRIBBLE anyway, and only make me have to recycle endlessly. Just deposit the EC directly into my account, and be done with it. Item-drops were a good thing before the reputatio system and Fleet gear. But, nowadays, even allegedly good items are still TRIBBLE.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Need or Greed system is not broken. NO ONE uses it as it should be used. The players are broken.

The PROPER way to use it is GREED if you don't need it. Not NEED everything.

The only "fix" I can see is to make it a permanent round robin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I would go along with a randomly distributed loot system. All the need/greed system does is promote a toxic environment in pretty much every MMO I play, it's the same issue regarding group content.
  • Options
    hatax2hatax2 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I agree with this as well, when I first started playing with some of my friends I would rag on them a little bit for always picking need. Saying something like if everyone did that, the system wouldn't be worth much huh? But as everyone here knows, you won't get anything from those drops if you do that...

Anyway, it'd be nice to see some kind of revamp for it, it is a bit irritating to have those things stacking up and timing out if it's not bound to a commonly hit key.

Honestly any of the suggestions here I'd prefer to what is currently implemented.
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Nothing more annoying then trying to fight the Borg with your teammates and trying to activate your powers while you keep getting pop-ups.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,834 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yeah...would be nice if they got rid of it and loot was automatic without having to press those pesky buttons!
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    kavase wrote: »
    Nothing more annoying then trying to fight the Borg with your teammates and trying to activate your powers while you keep getting pop-ups.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Or ANY PvE event, ground or space... the more that I think about it the more I really think it should just be a perma round robin... if you get something that someone else wants or needs, negotiate a trade...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Always thought there should of been a system where if you hit Need 3 times you can't need on anything for an hour

I really don't know why it doesn't work like this already. I would have thought it's like a "brownie point" style system... the more you pass, the more 'points' you save up so your 'need' will trump someone else's. The more you 'need' the less likely you actually get anything.

But yes, if such a system is too difficult, a random loot system would be better... at least that way loot drops wouldn't clutter our screens.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Honestly I'm in agreement with this. Most people I've found just need or pass now a days. If we just have those two options it's fine or just auto roll. Either way :P
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Honestly I'm in agreement with this. Most people I've found just need or pass now a days. If we just have those two options it's fine or just auto roll. Either way :P

Auto roll would be perfect. It was something that was asked a bunch of times in season 2 I think.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    kavase wrote: »
    Auto roll would be perfect. It was something that was asked a bunch of times in season 2 I think.

Oh I know it was :( I get the whole point of wanting a need/greed system but really it just doesn't work well with STO players.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    edited September 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Oh I know it was :( I get the whole point of wanting a need/greed system but really it just doesn't work well with STO players.

It isn't just STO players. It's a plague on mmos in general.
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It would help a lot of they set the need/greed threshhold to a higher quality at least.
    Only for blue+ if not only purple.

Everything else would be just round robin.

Oh, and can i haz an area loot button pleaze?
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    timelord79 wrote: »
    It would help a lot of they set the need/greed threshhold to a higher quality at least.
    Only for blue+ if not only purple.

Everything else would be just round robin.

Oh, and can i haz an area loot button pleaze?

Add in an area material node option as well. lol