test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Exchange Conundrum

astral#0893 astral Member Posts: 37 Arc User
Can the powers that be please explain why the exchange isn't policed?
Our credit allowance is caped at 10,000,000 & yet some people post items for sale above that price. Obviously they will never sell an item at such a price, so are they really that stupid?
Post edited by astral#0893 on

Comments

• Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No, they are smart. They bought the 10 mil cap removal and sell things way more expensive thet 10 mil.

Be smart, buy your 10 mil cap removal now!
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    fediii wrote: »
    Our credit allowance is caped at 10,000,000 & yet some people post items for sale above that price. Obviously they will never sell an item at such a price, so are they really that stupid?

then buy the ec cap limit to 1bln from the z store, the wiki says its 500z, only a few days dil grind. at that point you can go after anything you want. exchange like the dil exchange is player ran.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    go gold and you can have 1 000 000 000 ec.
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    the day the exchange starts getting 'policed' is the day i stop opening boxes and putting things on the exchange for people to buy.
  • Options
    thegcbaconthegcbacon Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Instead of calling sellers stupid, you should ask "How can I buy something for over 10M EC?" Or are you asking for Cryptic to stop ppl who have bought the EC cap increase to not be allowed to sell items to others that have bought the EC cap increase? You might as well ask Cryptic to disallow Cstore ships from being used in game.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    The OP needs to farm 183,000 (as of today) dil and pop that EC cap off.
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    The OP needs to farm 183,000 (as of today) dil and pop that EC cap off.
    I long for the day when the Cap was worth 44.000 dil :D.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Guessing you're a relatively new player.

That cap on your ec is an ftp thing.

You can, for 500 zen, increase it dramatically

Lts and subscribers get it for free.

Buying the cap increase, and the account bank, are usually considered the most important qol purchases you can buy.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Why would they police that? You can buy an ec cap increase to raise your cap. As such,some people will pay that much for certain items, because they are not constrainted by the 10milll ec cap.
  • Options
    eightseven87eightseven87 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I cannot start a discussion myself so I am hoping that one of you who read this could do it if you agree with my idea. It would be nice to have some set prices for items and my reason is this...

If I have an item worth one million and I post it for one million it usually doesn't take long before others post that same item a bit cheaper to sell it faster. Before you know the item is down to five hundred thousand. So if you're someone like me who doesn't want to bring the market down then lets try and do something about it. Maybe some kind of policing so that we don't devallue items and we can get paid for what it's worth

Thank you for your time
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Eh, nope. Free market. If you don't like the prices that other sellers are posting items for, then don't engage in a price war with them. If that means your item has to sit on the exchange for two weeks before the natural rise and fall cycle on the price goes through so it'll sell at your price instead of cheaper then that's the cost of doing business.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I cannot start a discussion myself so I am hoping that one of you who read this could do it if you agree with my idea. It would be nice to have some set prices for items and my reason is this...

If I have an item worth one million and I post it for one million it usually doesn't take long before others post that same item a bit cheaper to sell it faster. Before you know the item is down to five hundred thousand. So if you're someone like me who doesn't want to bring the market down then lets try and do something about it. Maybe some kind of policing so that we don't devallue items and we can get paid for what it's worth

Thank you for your time

Good luck getting support for that one dude.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It is incredibly stupid and arrogant to think all these sellers are selling items that cannot possibly sell. LOL. Any intelligent person would ask themselves how other people are buying things.
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You know, I don't normally rag on newbies, but this one,... um,... I might just have to change that policy.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,409 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    "What it's worth"?

Valet quantum vendi potest - "it is worth as much as it can be sold for." An ancient Roman proverb, and one that echoes through the centuries; the oldest quote of that in English I've found so far dates to 1569.

If it's "worth" 1 million EC, someone will buy it for that much. If it sells for less, then by free-market principles, it obviously isn't worth 1 million EC.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited September 2014

It shouldn't be policed. Its a free market. As long there is buyers willing to pay for that price. It will be sold as such. However if no takers, eventually it will come down. Or you get enough to start cutting each other and drives it down that way. Via flooding the market with it.

No they are not stupid. Far from it, as they are making serious EC from the ones who is willing to spend it. If I could on some items, I would be doing it too.

I take it your new to the game. There is a zen store purchase to increase your EC cap. I hadn't done mine yet, as I hadn't reached the cap yet. After they fixed the EC on vendor items, I doubt I will hit it for a very long time yet.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    do you feel like a bigger man calling someone stupid?
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think I lost brain cells reading this
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,409 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    do you feel like a bigger man calling someone stupid?
    No, just a smarter one.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    No, just a smarter one.

I don't call them stupid... I just look at them and demonstrate that my brain cells were lost trying to understand their idiocy. That just happened in another thread... when someone told a deaf guy to get better headphones
  • Options
    hpgibbshpgibbs Member Posts: 395 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Oh the innocence of this post.....
    The Grate Lorde Cheesus
    Ship build coordinator for The Breakfast Club http://WWW.TBCSTO.COM
    Doesn't Owe Anyone EC
    Kirks Prot
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hey guys,

I'm looking on the exchange right now and i'm trying to buy this item called "Common Sense" but it costs 10,000,001 EC but i only have 10,000,000 EC and i cant go any higher so it wont let me buy the item. Can somebody help me out with this conundrum?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    No, just a smarter one.
    wow. Your signature or what ever you call it suggests you're "old" so one would think that with age comes wisdom. To actually point out you're smarter then an other.... I certainly will not insult you for what you said. At your age you should be able to figure out your mistake
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I feel a bit sorry for the guy. He did not realise you can upgrade your currency limit.

But I do wonder why he did not stop and think how something could be posted on the exchange that cost's more than the upper limit.

Either way, I hope he will put it down to a learning experience :)

No need to call anyone stupid from either side.
  • Options
    hpgibbshpgibbs Member Posts: 395 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm surprised that no one had mentioned that the OP's username is "stonewbie' which lends to suggest that he wouldn't know those finer points. I don't believe the harshness was warranted in this post.
    The Grate Lorde Cheesus
    Ship build coordinator for The Breakfast Club http://WWW.TBCSTO.COM
    Doesn't Owe Anyone EC
    Kirks Prot
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    hpgibbs wrote: »
    I'm surprised that no one had mentioned that the OP's username is "stonewbie' which lends to suggest that he wouldn't know those finer points. I don't believe the harshness was warranted in this post.

Stonewbie isn't the op though.:rolleyes:
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Thank you for your time

do what I do. By the lower cost items then resell them for the higher price. That's the only kind of policing on the exchange. you have to do it yourself.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well, OP, if I can't sell items over 10 mill, I guess I should refund the two people who bought omni-beams from me today.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    but..........but.........but........nevermind. We ALWAYS get a thread like this every month.

My hat is off to those who explained the free market. I cannot put forth a response,

I wish not to FLAME.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator