test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Pants!

crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
...so much pants. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-UAImTSfww :P

Sorry, couldn't resist the link above for fun.

Anyway, pants in STO - specifically, female pants...

Pretty much all of the female pants looked janky before – the shape was unnatural and the poly edges really showed.

Did a little tweaking pass on all "loose" and split cuff pants for subtle but widespread improvement. Example here:

http://imgur.com/jkFsW1y
Post edited by crypticjoejing on

Comments

• Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Definitely looks better, now about the underwear...
  • Options
    drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Could you also do something with female arms on the Odyssey uniform being kind of noodley and thin, especially with how the elbows seem to bend at freakish angles and be alarmingly narrow?
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    great now the devs are pantz'ing us.....

great job it looks much more natural :)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    drreverend wrote: »
    Could you also do something with female arms on the Odyssey uniform being kind of noodley and thin, especially with how the elbows seem to bend at freakish angles and be alarmingly narrow?

Yeah, there are quite a few areas of funkiness in the female jackets, not just the Odyssey. On the radar, but probably not too soon. There are a lot more variations of jackets, more equipment that has to fit over and/or under it, and it's simply not as easy as the pants - many more bones in the skeleton influence jackets.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    *waits for flood of posters ranting about how they want their toons' legs to look like that, and can't the new pants be added as additional options?*;)
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited September 2014
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    *waits for flood of posters ranting about how they want their toons' legs to look like that, and can't the new pants be added as additional options?*;)

HAHAHA! true dat.

Good call and preemptive "no". The amount of asset management, set-up, and ui to double everything up isn't reasonable.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ... who wears pants anymore?

Bring on the "SKANTS" !

<chuckle>
    (you knew somebody was gonna say it)

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    ... who wears pants anymore?

Bring on the "SKANTS" !

<chuckle>
    (you knew somebody was gonna say it)

:cool:

That's not a skant, it's a dress uniform (no pun intended).
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Looks nicer... although I'd love the Odyssey belt on long jakcet for females to have a higher sitting variant... :( As it's now, it sits too low for odyssey long jackets for females. Think it'd be possible to add another variant for the odyssey belt, which would sit higher, similar to where it sit for males?
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Nice changes on the pants! Congrats!

And to my the ody belt is perfect on females, but if a new position can be added, is also welcome.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Aww yeah. I've been rocking the Oddy vet uni on my female tac lately. This will work very nicely for her.

Also +1 for using the word "janky". I love that word but no one uses it anymore. :(
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, there are quite a few areas of funkiness in the female jackets, not just the Odyssey. On the radar, but probably not too soon. There are a lot more variations of jackets, more equipment that has to fit over and/or under it, and it's simply not as easy as the pants - many more bones in the skeleton influence jackets.

Unfortunate, but understood. Still, here's hoping you guys get to it. The newer coats like Dyson Sphere and the Odyssey and others have just the freakiest arms. What made it weirder was when I compensated some by thickening my character's arms in the Oddy jacket, then when the summer event bikinis came out she suddenly had shoulders and biceps like a weight lifter.
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If there are really that many uniforms then why not just issue standing orders to all female characters to take there uniforms to the dry cleaners. They will come back wrinkle free.

I would advise against adding an iron item in the inventory of female characters as some may become enraged and chuck them at some one before they use them. If they get close to you, those non-ironed uniforms have some pretty sharp polygons and can be quite lethal.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Here is what I mean... I'd love if we had a variant for females, which sits at similar height as the male version. Clearly, the jupiter version sits at imo nicer position. So pretty please, the belt model is already in game, so adding one, which sits at similar position as the Jupiter for females can't be as hard? For female long jackets?

http://i.imgur.com/7SpVJAm.jpg
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    bberge1701 wrote: »
    That's not a skant, it's a dress uniform (no pun intended).

Take away the leggings, what have you got?

:P
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    That looks a lot better.
    Btw, will the ankle height "panels & pockets" trousers be making a return for female characters?
    I need a beer.

• Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yay my pants!

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The new version looks much better, thank you.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2014
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Some female coats are really making my chars have a huge TRIBBLE^^ examples are i think the kdf time uniform korath chest peace and some on fed side also like i think the admiral coat. Could you pls habe this checked out/changed? Maybe its to avoid clipping into other stuff but really a lot of uniforms dont have that problem so it feels fixable.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Thanks for cleaning these up!

Gotta say I'm almost as excited for the new costume and character customization as the content with dr. Very much appreciate the work.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ive always had an issue with the female legs, i hope this also works for bare skin as well, the inner thighs look unnatural as do the lower legs to the size of the thighs, its esepecially apparent on skirts and tight pants.

on another issue with pants devs, will klingons get other options of pants or remain stuck with tight fitting "unable to breathe" pants? :P its no wonder a klingon male gets cranky and looking to cause trouble.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ive always had an issue with the female legs, i hope this also works for bare skin as well, the inner thighs look unnatural as do the lower legs to the size of the thighs, its esepecially apparent on skirts and tight pants.

Finally! Someone else mentions it!

Also, you really need to change the title to read "trousers" some of us speak English.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    There was a sig here, but I gave up. Thanks {REDACTED}
    ...Obama? :confused:
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    ...Obama? :confused:

Nope. Why would it be him? [/Offtopic]
    I need a beer.

• Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Some female coats are really making my chars have a huge TRIBBLE^^ examples are i think the kdf time uniform korath chest peace and some on fed side also like i think the admiral coat. Could you pls habe this checked out/changed? Maybe its to avoid clipping into other stuff but really a lot of uniforms dont have that problem so it feels fixable.

[EDIT] Never mind, I should probably not comment on this :P
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    [EDIT] Never mind, I should probably not comment on this :P

Do your worst...