test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why an Int officer instead of a First Officer?

1235»

Comments

• kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Starfleet regs specicifly prohibit the captain from going on away missions. And yet here I am doing EVERYTHING.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Starfleet regs specicifly prohibit the captain from going on away missions. And yet here I am doing EVERYTHING.

Kirk does not care about what Star Fleet regs have to say:cool:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »

Bones: If you go down there you'll be killed.
    Kirk: Nah I'll bring a Red shirt with me.
    Bones: Why a red shirt?
    Kirk: Red is easier to target than gold
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited September 2014
    Starfleet regs can also be changed. We're 36 years post-Nemesis. Obviously things have changed since then, especially the role of rear and vice admirals.

On the issue of Intelligence Officers, I spoke to a colleague of mine who was in the U.S. Navy for many years. He was a journalist for the official Navy publication and had to learn a lot about a lot of different aspects of the service. He basically confirmed a lot of what has been said in this thread.

He told me every ship has Intelligence Officers and in some cases an Intelligence Section. These would be guys down in the Combat Information Center whose job it is to take in information from all different sources and keep the commanding officer informed about what might be over the horizon, i.e. what threats could be coming their way. These are commissioned naval officers (not from any other organization like the CIA), and they report to their department head and then the captain like any other officer on the ship.

Granted Starfleet is not a 1-1 analogy for the modern U.S. Navy, but Starfleet has always been heavily based on both modern navies and British colonial-era navies, so I think the description is applicable.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    edited September 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Starfleet regs can also be changed. We're 36 years post-Nemesis. Obviously things have changed since then, especially the role of rear and vice admirals.

On the issue of Intelligence Officers, I spoke to a colleague of mine who was in the U.S. Navy for many years. He was a journalist for the official Navy publication and had to learn a lot about a lot of different aspects of the service. He basically confirmed a lot of what has been said in this thread.

He told me every ship has Intelligence Officers and in some cases an Intelligence Section. These would be guys down in the Combat Information Center whose job it is to take in information from all different sources and keep the commanding officer informed about what might be over the horizon, i.e. what threats could be coming their way. These are commissioned naval officers (not from any other organization like the CIA), and they report to their department head and then the captain like any other officer on the ship.

Granted Starfleet is not a 1-1 analogy for the modern U.S. Navy, but Starfleet has always been heavily based on both modern navies and British colonial-era navies, so I think the description is applicable.

the info I provided comes from my 11 years in the Navy. I was a Navigator on an aircraft carrier and worked closely with OPS and CIC.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited September 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    the info I provided comes from my 11 years in the Navy. I was a Navigator on an aircraft carrier and worked closely with OPS and CIC.

And what you said sounds pretty much like what he told me :)
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    They can be both.

Sure they can be both, I'm just pointing out that these BOFF's are going to be trained in extensive Field ops, Feigning Disintegration is not a skill that an Intelligence Officer in a CIC needs
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • oridjerraaoridjerraa Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I hate to burst the OP's bubble, but you do not know what an intelligence officer is. Furthermore, since ship crews in Star Trek pretty much follow the same organization of US Navy ships, it would be safe to assume that every ship is supposed to have an intelligence officer. Intelligence on a ship falls under Operations.

I'm not the one living in the bubble! Bridge crews solved dilemmas via Ready Room or on the Bridge. They didn't call down to cic or mi6 to play out an episode.

I won't be the one running around in a butt ugly battlestar wanna-be to get a new officer type. I am also not the one ripping off the player base by castrating every existing ship in the game by denying those ships the bells and whistles we paid for and deserve.
    edited September 2014
    adverbero wrote: »
    Sure they can be both, I'm just pointing out that these BOFF's are going to be trained in extensive Field ops, Feigning Disintegration is not a skill that an Intelligence Officer in a CIC needs

He would if he took the last cup of coffee and didn't start a new pot.
    Your pain runs deep.
    edited September 2014
    oridjerraa wrote: »
    I'm not the one living in the bubble! Bridge crews solved dilemmas via Ready Room or on the Bridge. They didn't call down to cic or mi6 to play out an episode.

I won't be the one running around in a butt ugly battlestar wanna-be to get a new officer type. I am also not the one ripping off the player base by castrating every existing ship in the game by denying those ships the bells and whistles we paid for and deserve.

when you bought your T5 ship you also were paying for T6?
    Your pain runs deep.
  • oridjerraaoridjerraa Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    when you bought your T5 ship you also were paying for T6?

I opened my wallet and use my credit card for T5. For the ships I wanted. That option is not availalible for T6, or maybe you have not been keeping up on current affairs, pal!
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I opened my wallet for the Connie, where's my T6 Constitution class?
    edited September 2014
    oridjerraa wrote: »
    I opened my wallet and use my credit card for T5. For the ships I wanted. That option is not availalible for T6, or maybe you have not been keeping up on current affairs, pal!

That option is still there. You are still able to open your wallet and use your credit card for T6. For the ships you want. If you don't want the initial offerings and we all know more T6 ships are coming which will be more Fed-like (check the Dev tracker) then you don't have to buy them.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • morchadesmorchades Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    adverbero wrote: »

This is true.

Nor would the Chief Engineer need to know how to set mines and fuse armor together if he's trained for working in the Engine room of a ship.

Our head scientist generally hits people with doses of deadly radiation, why does the head of a research department do that?

Every command officer on these starships has special training in combat that relates to their field of expertise. That's because they go down on away teams.

We can safely assume, based on the similarities to modern human militaries, that these away teams require some sort of certification and any officer who gets that certification learns ground combat in addition to their typical duties. Just as bridge officers have special ship powers becuase they are trained in their battle stations on the bridge.

So, your Intel duty officer probably sits in a section of the ship and analyzes reports and has just basic "How to use a phaser" training, but your Intel Bridge Officer is both command and away team trained/certified, so she's going to have a few extra tricks that you might only see in a field agent.

It's entirely possible that the Intel Officer's got a backstory like Elisa Flores and K'Gan do (but not like Tovan Khev, please not like Tovan Khev.) Something where that they were a regular member of your crew who got special away team training in order to prepare for these new missions. Or they may just be someone sent to you with a note form Commander Burgess saying "Here is an expert on the Delta Quadrant" which is a perfectly valid and canonical way to add an officer to the ship. (See Shelby from Best of Both Worlds, who was sent by Starfleet Intelligence). Starfleet would not send someone to Player's crew, given how much trouble the player gets into, without away team training and a special Intel kit that lets them fake their death and other such sneaky things.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    He would if he took the last cup of coffee and didn't start a new pot.

That TRIBBLE.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    morchades wrote: »
    This is true.

Nor would the Chief Engineer need to know how to set mines and fuse armor together if he's trained for working in the Engine room of a ship.

Our head scientist generally hits people with doses of deadly radiation, why does the head of a research department do that?

Every command officer on these starships has special training in combat that relates to their field of expertise. That's because they go down on away teams.

We can safely assume, based on the similarities to modern human militaries, that these away teams require some sort of certification and any officer who gets that certification learns ground combat in addition to their typical duties. Just as bridge officers have special ship powers becuase they are trained in their battle stations on the bridge.

So, your Intel duty officer probably sits in a section of the ship and analyzes reports and has just basic "How to use a phaser" training, but your Intel Bridge Officer is both command and away team trained/certified, so she's going to have a few extra tricks that you might only see in a field agent.

It's entirely possible that the Intel Officer's got a backstory like Elisa Flores and K'Gan do (but not like Tovan Khev, please not like Tovan Khev.) Something where that they were a regular member of your crew who got special away team training in order to prepare for these new missions. Or they may just be someone sent to you with a note form Commander Burgess saying "Here is an expert on the Delta Quadrant" which is a perfectly valid and canonical way to add an officer to the ship. (See Shelby from Best of Both Worlds, who was sent by Starfleet Intelligence). Starfleet would not send someone to Player's crew, given how much trouble the player gets into, without away team training and a special Intel kit that lets them fake their death and other such sneaky things.

That does sound reasonable

Though I've always rationalised the Bridge officers duel training as a Game trope, Its simply easier to provide both sets of skills rather then double the number of Officers which is something that taxes the database even more, since they would all have 4 item slots shield weapon and armor slots and their traits etc etc

Personally I have two distinct sets of officers, 4 of them have no skill points spent on space abilities at all, and wear the Odyssey Tactical Uniform, thats the away team. Thats their job, they don't pilot the ship their specialty skills are acting as a bodyguard Unit for a Starfleet Flag Officer

I even have one who is my Shuttle Pilot, since they were left over after I bought additional slots to Activate my Diplomacy BOFF, and the C-Store BOFF I had purchased
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    darkjeff wrote: »
    I opened my wallet for the Connie, where's my T6 Constitution class?

Not a good argument for either side. Replica ship advertised as low tier =/= ships labeled as endgame and bought for that reason. I don't think people would have bought nearly as many T5 ships as they did if they knew a T6 was on its way, for the same reason that most people don't buy lots of lower-tier C-Store ships - Unless they just love the hull and are buying the ship as a novelty item, or if they want the console as part of a console set or build for a T5 ship, there's no reason to buy them really, seeing as there are better options out there for one's money.

TL;DR - The problem isn't just that people spent money and therefore want an endgame version of their ship.
    It's that people didn't realize that they weren't spending money on permanently endgame ships.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    mvp333 wrote: »
    TL;DR - The problem isn't just that people spent money and therefore want an endgame version of their ship.
    It's that people didn't realize that they weren't spending money on permanently endgame ships.

Which might be because the endgame has been basically static for four years straight. Contrast Blizzard and The-MMO-That-Must-Not-Be-Named, which ups the level cap once a year. That Other Fandom is used to it.

Also consider the attachment of these ships to a particular IP that people get ridiculously fanatical over, even without a popular video game involved.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Which might be because the endgame has been basically static for four years straight. Contrast Blizzard and The-MMO-That-Must-Not-Be-Named, which ups the level cap once a year. That Other Fandom is used to it.

My point. This isn't WoW, or its (dying) F2P clone Runes of Magic, or RIFT, or ****, or any other game like that. In those games, people are used to dumping pretty much their whole character to fit the new metagame every 2-12 months when a level increase pops. Here, expansion has been more or less at a "5-degree angle," with power creep slowly changing the metagame, but mostly content has been added without new levels that require complete re-gears to survive. Everyone's had these ships since years ago, and this sudden change, requiring endgame (T5/T5Flt/T5.9) ship owners to pay MORE money for a whole new ship or upgrade or be left behind, is inevitably going to TRIBBLE people off. The power creep was bad enough.
  • solardimensionsolardimension Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Because Intelligence Officer provides a thematic basis for the new set of skills, like First Officer would not.

And "Intelligence Officers" are not communist party officers or Warhammer 40K Imperial Commisars. They are not there to spy on you or control morale, but to provide you information (intelligence) over the various species and faction, and allow you to use this knowledge to your advantage.

If I am allready a life time member will I still need to purchase this or will it be included during the launch with my life time membership?
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If I am allready a life time member will I still need to purchase this or will it be included during the launch with my life time membership?
    Intelligence Officers are used on a new Ship Class. The Delta Rising Expansion is free to everyone. If you wish to purchase the new Ship Class ships that is up to you, but it is not required to have it to play the new Content.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »

I don't know why, but for some reason that picture reminds me of the Teletubbies on parade.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif