Options

no t5 romulan ship?

2»

Comments

• Options
    quaestusquaestus Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Cryptic, are the Romulans supposed to be in this game or not?

Better question is are the players supposed to be in this game or not... I wasn't really planning on using either ship but it seems like every time something's "happening" in this game and I come back to check things out all I see is the same monkey doing his football and I remember why I'm off playing other things.

Oh well... off to play other things... :D
  • Options
    thore187thore187 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    quaestus wrote: »
    Oh really? So... wait... what's the point of forcing Romulans to align then?

You got me there, but you for sure can't use your aligned faction's T5s.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thread merge, again.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    eealexeealex Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, got moved and my post completely ignored. Interesting way of putting it. Forum wars?
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    apparently the “Support Cruiser Retrofit: Ambassador Class” Tier 5 was free to players that completed the 3yr anniversary mission, the mission was playable by all factions so it may well be you can claim it on a federation alied rom, likewise try to claim the kdf ship with kdf alied roms.
    I cant promise it will work but theres no harm trying.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    thore187 wrote: »
    You got me there, but you for sure can't use your aligned faction's T5s.

Yeah I just tried it, I was under the impression that sharing technology (since the Romulan c-store offering was so slim) was the whole point in faction alignment and that's pretty much how the game seems to set it up but... yeah... Wouldn't want all those Romulans trading up all their bug ships and Cardassian cruisers for KDF stuff... might break canon. :P
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah I just tried it, I was under the impression that sharing technology (since the Romulan c-store offering was so slim) was the whole point in faction alignment and that's pretty much how the game seems to set it up but... yeah... Wouldn't want all those Romulans trading up all their bug ships and Cardassian cruisers for KDF stuff... might break canon. :P
    The T5 limitation was not about breaking canon. It was about knowing that if the Roms could get all the T5 ships from their Faction there would be no reason to not play a Rom. Why play KDF if you can get all the Rom ships and all the KDF ships at T5 by playing a Rom? It made the Roms the Faction kings.

Cyrptic's original plan was to allow T5, but it was the players on the forum that rose up and forces them to not allow the T5 access.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Wrong. The point of Roms getting access to allied ships was because Cryptic didn't want to have to go to the trouble of thinking up even the sad shadow of a full range of ships that the KDF gets.

Ten bars of latinum says that when we finally get a Cardassian faction we get the Hideki, Galor, and Keldon and nothing else but allied ships.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The T5 limitation was not about breaking canon. It was about knowing that if the Roms could get all the T5 ships from their Faction there would be no reason to not play a Rom. Why play KDF if you can get all the Rom ships and all the KDF ships at T5 by playing a Rom? It made the Roms the Faction kings.

Cyrptic's original plan was to allow T5, but it was the players on the forum that rose up and forces them to not allow the T5 access.

Sounds a lot like "if KDF can cloak and has carriers nobody will have any reason to play Fed"... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Sounds a lot like "if KDF can cloak and has carriers nobody will have any reason to play Fed"... :rolleyes:
    Actually it is nothing like that at all. The point was that if the Roms had access to the best of their ships and the best of their Faction's ships then no one would play the other Faction.

For example, no one would play a Fed if a Fed Rom had access to Defiant and Scimitar while the Fed only had access to the Defiant. If I can be a Rom in a Defiant and get all the alpha strike bonuses Roms gets why play a Fed?

And I will point out again that it was the players who did not want it to happen, not Cryptic. The forum revolted - especially many KDF players who felt no one would ever play KDF again if the Roms had access to their best stuff.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,648 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    meh this vintage of whine is rather bitter.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    meh this vintage of whine is rather bitter.

I can't decide whether to burst out laughing or issue death threats.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,648 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Thread merge.

Between this thread, the one in Rom Gameplay, and the official news thread, I think we have our quota on "No Rom Giveaway" threads.

Oh, Baby! You Merged sooooo GOOD!!
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Actually it is nothing like that at all. The point was that if the Roms had access to the best of their ships and the best of their Faction's ships then no one would play the other Faction.

For example, no one would play a Fed if a Fed Rom had access to Defiant and Scimitar while the Fed only had access to the Defiant. If I can be a Rom in a Defiant and get all the alpha strike bonuses Roms gets why play a Fed?

And I will point out again that it was the players who did not want it to happen, not Cryptic. The forum revolted - especially many KDF players who felt no one would ever play KDF again if the Roms had access to their best stuff.

Actually that's exactly the same as the cloak/carrier debate... If one side has it all nobody will play the other side... A "beta" theory I thought discredited by KDF's constant population issues despite their distinct tactical advantage through most of this games life but I guess greater minds have prevailed... What's done is done.
  • Options
    beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    i'm not complaining i love free stuff but come on give the roms the hakoona at least i doubt that even sells i rarely see them at all anymore lol.

• Options
    falconforce2051falconforce2051 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Actually the only problem I have is that if they are going to give away free items to the Romulans it should be equal regardless of faction choice. I was able to retrieve the Ambassador class ship for the Fed-Roms, but the KDF-Roms were not eligible to retrieve the Gorn science vessel. I'm curious as to whether this was an intentional slight or merely an overslight by STO. I've also checked to ensure the Ambassador was T5, and it is, so the argument that Roms do not have access to faction T5 ships bears no merit in this case.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ltminns wrote: »
    Well you could argue that Roms do get 1 - if they take a lower Tier Galaxy and Raptor, they get the bridges for 'their' ship.;)

Problem also is the Romulans and Klingons don't really have much of anything in the clothing shop. If they came out with more there, there would be something to give away.

Indeed, and I already own ALL the romulan and klingon outfits in the c-store shop (which would only sound impressive if one has never looked at the romulan and klingon outfit options in the c-store).
  • Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well I didn't vote for that demand, I was and I still am against it.
    I am very happy to finally be able to ditch my Tier 4 ship and fly in a real Tier 5.
    Although I wish it could have been a D'kyr.
  • Options
    engelenhartengelenhart Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    szim wrote: »
    Feds do indeed get an upgradable ship. The fleet ambassador (Fleet Support Cruiser Retrofit) is on the list of upgradable starships (for zen) as can be seen here

As for the Romulans I think they should have gotten something. But since I have none of the items they are giving away yet I don't want to complain.

Both ships are from the 3 years anniversary if I am not mistaken. Even while my main is now a Romulan and not the Fed I started with, I'm very happy to have very limited edition ships on both my alts. If Cryptic did deliver a Romulan ships for this giveaway I'm sure there would be threads about how it is unjust that Feds and KDF got shafted with old designs. Anyways, I'm like this giveaway better than the previous ones that did not deliver any T5 stuff. And designing a T5 Romulan ship to give away just 2 months before they become mediocre T5-U is a bit of a waste.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I can understand your gripe but the simple fact is the romulan stuff is just too new to be given away at the moment.

besides this time round you didn't miss out on too much anyway both the ships had been given away previously so if you already had them as I did there wasn't that much to get in a snit about with this event.

the Support Cruiser Retrofit: Ambassador Class was given away as a reward for a short time when they first run the mission "Temporal Ambassador"
    the Varanus Support Vessel was given away in a c-store end of summer event around the same time as this last year.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    By the way, Fed-aligned Romulans CAN claim the T5 Ambassador. Got it on two of mine earlier today.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Fed Roms got the Ambassador. It will make a good place to store my Warbirds' extra weapons and equipment at spacedock. :D
  • Options
    blargblahblahblargblahblah Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    And on the flip side of that, the Fed Faction has not gotten a mission of their own in over 4 years

That's true, however much of the story arc is influenced more by the Federation. Look at Delta Rising; it's about going back after what the Voyager learned there, and some of the Voyager crew featured during the new addition are going to 'help' players.
  • Options
    bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    so only KDF roms got hosed.....ok then :confused: