test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

And That's Why We Wait...

flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
...yesterday, we had a Dev Blog about Tier #6 Ships. What came of that was a collection of topics and posts complaining about existing ships, and the dislike of the apparent obsolete system.

Today we had a Dev Blog that stated many details for the Tier #5 Upgrades. My point? People were speculating and complaining based upon what they didn't know. Whilst speculation is good, complaining about what you don't know isn't healthy; I've learned the hard way, so whilst I enjoy speculation (and would encourage it) I think maybe people could do with not complaining until we've actually got something to complain about (if there ever is something)?

:)
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
Post edited by flash525 on

Comments

• Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    And now people are complaining about facts. :)
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    In fairness, a lot of the speculation turned out to be spot on...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's not player's fault that the devs released their info in the wrong order.

It's a no-brainer to know that players' #1 concern would be for the $25+ they already spent on the ships they wanted. Cryptic let that stew of a couple of weeks. Stupid, stupid marketing move on their part.

Now we know we'll probably get charged $10 for a half-assed ship upgrade.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    anazonda wrote: »

To be fair, he has a point. :P Not disagreeing with you though. :D
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited August 2014
    Valid point. So here's some 'speculation' using 'math'.

So I ask - what % of the cost of a new T6 ship does a 500-1000 Zen upgrade be? 15%? 25%?

New ships could be anywhere from 3500 Z to 6500 Z each.

Math may be hard, but even assuming that a top of the line ship would be cheaper or equal to current pricing on ships is highly unlikely.

Hell, maybe they will permanently discount current ships to keep new ones at 2500 Z. Then again, maybe not.

Update: NOW THAT would be a great idea. Drop the prices on existing ships and keep the new ones at 2500 Z.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    even if the speculation was spot on, one should not have expected to get every ship upgraded for free.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    turbografix16turbografix16 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm really not ok with Lock Box and Lobi ships being "Tier 5-U" instead of Tier 6.

This apparently is what's happening with the Bug, even though during the promo the website clearly said "Free upgrade for any new and old Bug to Tier 6." Again, Tier 5-U is not Tier 6.

I own every single lock box and lobi ship with the exception of the Advanced Obelisk. I bought lifetime to Champions Online to get beta key access to STO. I buy a lot of Zen.

I had imagined that I was the kind of customer that Cryptic would be interested in keeping happy. My bucks subsidize the free players, which is fine. There's no danger that, if I'm treated fairly, I'll stop buying new lock box ships, the "grand royale" edition of Delta Rising, etc. I buy everything because I want to have everything.

But here's the rub - up until now, all of my money was invested in items that were top of the line.
    Now, they're most definitely not. Tier 5-U is not Tier 6. What was once a fun way to collect new shinies now makes me feel like I'm getting slapped by Cryptic while they're saying "haha sucker."

Make lobi/lock box ships truly Tier 6. Your whales are going to buy everything anyway, if you keep us happy. So keep us happy.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm really not ok with Lock Box and Lobi ships being "Tier 5-U" instead of Tier 6.

This apparently is what's happening with the Bug, even though during the promo the website clearly said "Free upgrade for any new and old Bug to Tier 6." Again, Tier 5-U is not Tier 6.

I own every single lock box and lobi ship with the exception of the Advanced Obelisk. I bought lifetime to Champions Online to get beta key access to STO. I buy a lot of Zen.

I had imagined that I was the kind of customer that Cryptic would be interested in keeping happy. My bucks subsidize the free players, which is fine. There's no danger that, if I'm treated fairly, I'll stop buying new lock box ships, the "grand royale" edition of Delta Rising, etc. I buy everything because I want to have everything.

But here's the rub - up until now, all of my money was invested in items that were top of the line.
    Now, they're most definitely not. Tier 5-U is not Tier 6. What was once a fun way to collect new shinies now makes me feel like I'm getting slapped by Cryptic while they're saying "haha sucker."

Make lobi/lock box ships truly Tier 6. Your whales are going to buy everything anyway, if you keep us happy. So keep us happy.

I'm perfectly fine with lockbox junk not being true T6. I still have hope to someday see ESD without seeing a single non-faction ship. :P
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    atomictiki wrote: »
    It's a no-brainer to know that players' #1 concern would be for the $25+ they already spent on the ships they wanted.
    Players can still use those ships, we don't need to upgrade, most of the PvE content will remain at it's current level, and Tier #5 ships should be more than capable of running the newer PvE content too.

The only people who really need these upgrades are people who'd want the best of the best within PvP. It was stated in the Dev Blog that the cost for an upgrade is likely going to be between $5 and $10 per ship, considering many people have already purchased their ships, that's a cost many aren't going to want to spend; at least on all of them.

If the upgrade tokens (if such exist) aren't bound to account, I may look into getting some, otherwise I'll just stick with the Tier #5 that I've got. A few more hit points and additional console slot (per ship) ain't worth all that, especially since we don't get the unique T6 abilities/extras - they're restricted to designs that aren't (in my opinion at least) pleasing.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I'm perfectly fine with lockbox junk not being true T6. I still have hope to someday see ESD without seeing a single non-faction ship. :P

1) Lockboxes aren't going to go away. And you can bet the new lockbox ships are going to be Tier 6. So, unfortunately, you're unlikely to get your wish.

2) Free to play games have more of a vested interest in keeping the players who pay happy versus the players who don't. For better or worse, one of the primary mechanisms for payment in STO is the lockbox key. Free players might want to contemplate the future of STO if people like me - with enough disposable income to afford to open lockboxes and the desire to do so - get annoyed and leave.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    1) Lockboxes aren't going to go away. And you can bet the new lockbox ships are going to be Tier 6. So, unfortunately, you're unlikely to get your wish.
    I'm not entirely sure about this. Surely by having the newer Lock Box Ships as Tier #6 would be a kick in the teeth to anyone that owns an existing Tier #5 one?

I would speculate that it's more likely Lock Box Ship Upgrades will become as close to Tier #6 as is possible without the new Boffs and Traits/Abilities. Lock Box Ships don't need those traits or abilities, they'll probably only be useful in a handful of scenarios anyway, and they'll likely be specific to DR content..
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The only thing I was thinking. It would have been a grind or somehow play the game with the new ship. Until you hit level 60. And then you are offered ways to upgrade your ship. So I wouldn't get to use my main ships like I always do on new missions. While my others are for Rep grinds.

This new blog really helped me out. I'm sure all the ones yelling doom will be happy as well. At least most of them.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure about this. Surely by having the newer Lock Box Ships as Tier #6 would be a kick in the teeth to anyone that owns an existing Tier #5 one?

I would speculate that it's more likely Lock Box Ship Upgrades will become as close to Tier #6 as is possible without the new Boffs and Traits/Abilities. Lock Box Ships don't need those traits or abilities, they'll probably only be useful in a handful of scenarios anyway, and they'll likely be specific to DR content..

Apologies, but I failed to quote my initial post, which was being replied to. I had stated that I thought lobi/lockbox ships should receive true Tier 6 upgrades rather than Tier 5-U.

I do think, though, that new lockbox ships absolutely will be Tier 6. I don't think they'll be very successful if they're not top of the line (or better than top of the line) as the previous ones have been (at the time of release).
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Valid point. So here's some 'speculation' using 'math'.

So I ask - what % of the cost of a new T6 ship does a 500-1000 Zen upgrade be? 15%? 25%?

New ships could be anywhere from 3500 Z to 6500 Z each.

Math may be hard, but even assuming that a top of the line ship would be cheaper or equal to current pricing on ships is highly unlikely.

Hell, maybe they will permanently discount current ships to keep new ones at 2500 Z. Then again, maybe not.

Update: NOW THAT would be a great idea. Drop the prices on existing ships and keep the new ones at 2500 Z.

I'll bet you anything we'll see a big Expansion Pack or a series of them for $200+ for the new T6 ships just like we did for Legacy of Romulus.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Apologies, but I failed to quote my initial post, which was being replied to. I had stated that I thought lobi/lockbox ships should receive true Tier 6 upgrades rather than Tier 5-U.
    Noted. :)
    I do think, though, that new lockbox ships absolutely will be Tier 6. I don't think they'll be very successful if they're not top of the line (or better than top of the line) as the previous ones have been (at the time of release).
    Well, I don't see how they can have existing lock box ships at Tier #5, and then the new ones at Tier #6. Who in their right mind is going to try their luck at a Lock Box (during their reruns) if the rewards aren't top of the line compared to the next lock box?
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,845 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Except it didn't

"With the release of Star Trek Online: Delta Rising, this starship (either from this run of the promotion or from previous runs) will be upgradeable to Tier 6 starship capabilities at no cost."

Tier 6 capabilities doesn't = T6.

If they meant it was getting upgrades to T6 they would of just said upgradeable to tier 6...why use more words than you have to?
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ...yesterday, we had a Dev Blog about Tier #6 Ships. What came of that was a collection of topics and posts complaining about existing ships, and the dislike of the apparent obsolete system.

Today we had a Dev Blog that stated many details for the Tier #5 Upgrades. My point? People were speculating and complaining based upon what they didn't know. Whilst speculation is good, complaining about what you don't know isn't healthy; I've learned the hard way, so whilst I enjoy speculation (and would encourage it) I think maybe people could do with not complaining until we've actually got something to complain about (if there ever is something)?

This.

To all whom complained religiously, kindly shut the hell up. Not really, you guys are still cool with me. <3
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Why would they care at that point? You already have the ship and they already have your money. They're more concerned with getting someone else to spend more than you. Also, the one you have is the pre-X2 T6 version. If you want the new one, take out your wallet and buy it.

I think I see it differently. Rather than trying to get money out of new people, I'd imagine that they're focused on getting money out of the "whales," reliable customers who can be counted upon to purchase the majority of content because, well, they want it.
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    And the Mobius Temporal Destroyer isn't upgradable it seems.

The list omits it. Hopefully it's a minor error in the compiling of the list and not the great big ol' middle finger that it would be if it actually isn't upgradable.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Except it didn't

"With the release of Star Trek Online: Delta Rising, this starship (either from this run of the promotion or from previous runs) will be upgradeable to Tier 6 starship capabilities at no cost."

Tier 6 capabilities doesn't = T6.

If they meant it was getting upgrades to T6 they would of just said upgradeable to tier 6...why use more words than you have to?

Respectfully, I think you're splitting hairs here. If it has "Tier 6 capabilities" then I'd imagine that it's Tier 6. If a Tier 5-U has "Tier 6 capabilities" then isn't it by definition Tier 6?

The alternative is that they're being intentionally obfuscatory and really meant "some Tier 6 capabilities but not all." In which case I would argue that the wording is pretty shady.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,845 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Respectfully, I think you're splitting hairs here. If it has "Tier 6 capabilities" then I'd imagine that it's Tier 6. If a Tier 5-U has "Tier 6 capabilities" then isn't it by definition Tier 6?

The alternative is that they're being intentionally obfuscatory and really meant "some Tier 6 capabilities but not all." In which case I would argue that they wording is pretty shady.

Made it sound good and surely made people try and get it...people see T6 and they just think hey...the Bug is going to be T6...I gotta go win me one!

Plausible deniability...people see Tier 6 in there and think automatically T6...people will surely complain who bought the packs to get one and now cryptic can point out that it didn't state clearly Tier 6...
  • Options
    thore187thore187 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    aaannnnd....I'm still waiting.

While the details certainly sound fairly reasonable in theory, I'm going to reserve judgment until I can see these changes implemented first-hand on tribble.

Especially since, as stated in the announcement; "Please note that everything detailed here is subject to change due to feedback."
  • Options
    reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Err, they could just release all the inf oat once. Because this sort of marketing sure does nothing for my anticipation.

i want all the info, i want preview videos, i want devs harp about how proud thy are of their newest creation.

I don't want some weirdo marketing dude try to use lame TRIBBLE strategies that have stopped working 20 ears ago.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I don't need facts to complain, works for the News.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    reynoldsxd wrote: »
    I don't want some weirdo marketing dude try to use lame TRIBBLE strategies that have stopped working 20 ears ago.

So like 10 people ago?

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    And now people are complaining about facts. :)

No they arent complaining their whining because that's what they do here in these forms they just wine moan nag and complain just to come here to these forms I have to bring a life raft because all the tears here would drown me
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    wildweasal wrote: »
    No they arent complaining their whining because that's what they do here in these forms they just wine moan nag and complain just to come here to these forms I have to bring a life raft because all the tears here would drown me

Are these forms you speak of in PDF format? Can they be E-Signed?

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thibashthibash Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Euhm...because most people were correct. In order to stay competitive you need T6 ships. No way around it. They'll always be superior.

And you know how MMO's are. If you so much as cast a heal while people are waiting for an NPC to finish talking in a social zone, you're a moronic noob that doesn't know how to play.

Why do you think playing a T5u ship instead of a T6 ship would be even remotely acceptable?