test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

QoL Request: Split Personal Traits Into Space/Ground

mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Controls and User Interface
Now that we can re-trait at will, it is pretty enjoyable to go all-out with our 8-9 (depending on if you're an Alien) personal traits when we move between space and ground content. What is NOT enjoyable, however, is several minutes of clicking to unselect all of your active traits and then select a new pool of 8-9 traits for the other type of content when you are moving between zones. This may be a minor annoyance when you're playing solo but it is especially true when your pre-formed fleet team is waiting on you to re-trait before the team can enter a queued mission. It really interrupts the flow of gameplay.

Therefore, I request that Cryptic split the Personal traits section into Personal Space and Personal Ground, each allowing 8-9 traits to be selected from the appropriate pool of traits. This would be functionally identical to the current system when it comes to # of active traits since your ground traits are never active in space and vice versa, leaving you with only 8-9 traits active in any given zone. This would merely save a modicum of time, and also prevent a degree of frustration for players that forget to re-trait between zones and accidentally enter elite space content with only personal ground traits active or vice versa.

If we follow this logic to its ultimate conclusion, the Active Reputation section should be split as well, allowing 4 space active and 4 ground active (although there aren't enough reputations currently to fill either of those).

Or, failing that, then a traits loadout system would be preferred to save time when re-traiting.

Orrrrrrrr, failing that too, could we, at the very least, get a checkbox filter for the Personal Traits pool so we can make it display only space or ground traits so we don't have to scroll through the entire pool when we only want to activate one type or the other? (And a "clear all slotted Personal traits" button.)

Joined January 2009
Finger wrote:
Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• supergaminggeeksupergaminggeek Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    That's almost utter overkill since there are like eight or nine traits for each mode, anyway. Loadouts, while it has been suggested in-game, also wouldn't work out, since traits can only be swapped in and out in sector space and social zones, anyway.
  • ldvhlldvhl Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I agree with the request to have separate loadouts for ground and space traits.
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think its kind of obvious that the need for this comes up. Im pretty surprised that it took so long.

I agree.

Well AT LEAST they should sort space and ground skills to find them faster.

But it makes no sense to "force us" to retrait between every mission.
  • jestersagejestersage Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Sure why not? 4 space and 4 grounds. Balanced too.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    since there are like eight or nine traits for each mode

My 21 lockbox and mission reward traits disagree with you. -edit -You try scrolling through 47 traits and see how you like it. And they're only going to add more over time with every lockbox, and possibly future holdings or reputations. -/edit-
    traits can only be swapped in and out in sector space and social zones, anyway.

Which, 9 times out of 10 is where you will be when you are in between queued missions...

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    first, I would much rather they separate the space and ground traits into their categories.....this way we can just select what we want at a glance without having to scroll looking for the right trait for space or ground.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jestersage wrote: »
    Sure why not? 4 space and 4 grounds. Balanced too.

No.

Some people don't care about either space/ground traits and will want to have 8 of one type.

I'd even go as far as merging the 4-ground/4-space Rep traits into 8-universal so they match the Personal traits.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,866 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    tk79 wrote: »
    No.

Some people don't care about either space/ground traits and will want to have 8 of one type.

I'd even go as far as merging the 4-ground/4-space Rep traits into 8-universal so they match the Personal traits.

I would prefer this myself...would be much better!
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Now that we can re-trait at will, it is pretty enjoyable to go all-out with our 8-9 (depending on if you're an Alien) personal traits when we move between space and ground content. What is NOT enjoyable, however, is several minutes of clicking to unselect all of your active traits and then select a new pool of 8-9 traits for the other type of content when you are moving between zones. This may be a minor annoyance when you're playing solo but it is especially true when your pre-formed fleet team is waiting on you to re-trait before the team can enter a queued mission. It really interrupts the flow of gameplay.

Therefore, I request that Cryptic split the Personal traits section into Personal Space and Personal Ground, each allowing 8-9 traits to be selected from the appropriate pool of traits. This would be functionally identical to the current system when it comes to # of active traits since your ground traits are never active in space and vice versa, leaving you with only 8-9 traits active in any given zone. This would merely save a modicum of time, and also prevent a degree of frustration for players that forget to re-trait between zones and accidentally enter elite space content with only personal ground traits active or vice versa.

If we follow this logic to its ultimate conclusion, the Active Reputation section should be split as well, allowing 4 space and 4 ground (although there aren't enough reputations currently to fill either of those).

Or, failing that, then a traits loadout system would be preferred to save time when re-traiting.

Orrrrrrrr, failing that too, could we, at the very least, get a checkbox filter for the Personal Traits pool so we can make it display only space or ground traits so we don't have to scroll through the entire pool when we only want to activate one type or the other?

I'd favor either a loadout system for simpler selection of Trait sets or 8 Space/8 Ground... it's not like we don't just stack up the Traits for the map type we're doing anyway. Personally, I tend to queue in batches, doing either all the Space PvE's or all the Ground PvE's I'm interested in, minimizing the time I spend Trait swapping. If I'm feeling especially lazy I'll use my Episode mix... but I can't imagine going into higher difficulty PvE, and especially not PvP, without a full loadout of the appropriate Traits for the given map type.

The 8 Traits ship has sailed, and given the response many had for the re-structuring of Reputation Traits I can't see folks being happy about more Traits being taken away. So while your 4/4 split suggestion would be balanced (in PvP your opponent has the same freedoms and restrictions you do), and even simply put us back where we were before they doubled our Traits from 4 to 8, it would aggravate many players. In addition, if we have less Traits we can slot, it reduces the value of the Genetic Resequencers which in turn reduces the value of a given lock box... and I'm pretty sure the company likes selling Master Keys.

So yeah, Trait loadouts or 8 Space/8 Ground. As far as the Rep Traits... merging them into 8 Universal just means even more time spent clicking checkboxes... no thanks, I can cope with what I have. I'm against removing more options (cutting the maximum Traits for a given map type to 4), but that doesn't mean I'm going to ask for my Rep Trait pool to be effectively doubled either. :P

[EDIT] As a side note, I'd still suggest the Alien Trait slot to remain Universal even if they choose to split the Trait pool; this would keep the flexibility that is the true advantage of having an Alien captain with +1 Universal Trait, rather than a given species that receives 2-3 Specific Traits rolled into their species bonuses.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
    edited May 2014
    The 8 Traits ship has sailed, and given the response many had for the re-structuring of Reputation Traits I can't see folks being happy about more Traits being taken away. So while your 4/4 split suggestion would be balanced (in PvP your opponent has the same freedoms and restrictions you do), and even simply put us back where we were before they doubled our Traits from 4 to 8, it would aggravate many players. In addition, if we have less Traits we can slot, it reduces the value of the Genetic Resequencers which in turn reduces the value of a given lock box... and I'm pretty sure the company likes selling Master Keys.

I'm confused, the only place where I suggested a 4/4 split was for Active Reputation which is currently 4 universal. If it wasn't clear in the OP, I mean the Personal traits section should be split into 8 space and 8 ground. (unless you were responding to jestersage)

[EDIT] As a side note, I'd still suggest the Alien Trait slot to remain Universal even if they choose to split the Trait pool; this would keep the flexibility that is the true advantage of having an Alien captain with +1 Universal Trait, rather than a given species that receives 2-3 Specific Traits rolled into their species bonuses.

Good idea. I was thinking 9 space and 9 ground for aliens but 8/8 with 1 universal is probably a better idea for aliens.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    These kind of topics are sounding dangerous by the minute.

I am really afraid that the devs get the wrong idea out of this and make it 4/4 ground/space and ruin the game for players that want to specialize in either area.

Unfortunately, having Trait Loadouts to address this issue would fail to address another: missions with both space and ground combat, since Loadouts are locked in mission maps.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm confused, the only place where I suggested a 4/4 split was for Active Reputation which is currently 4 universal. If it wasn't clear in the OP, I mean the Personal traits section should be split into 8 space and 8 ground. (unless you were responding to jestersage)

Good idea. I was thinking 9 space and 9 ground for aliens but 8/8 with 1 universal is probably a better idea for aliens.

Yeah, I responded to a couple posts all at once while only quoting yours... which made that whole post of mine much less coherent. It was late, my apologies. :o

I am really afraid that the devs get the wrong idea out of this and make it 4/4 ground/space and ruin the game for players that want to specialize in either area.

Unfortunately, having Trait Loadouts to address this issue would fail to address another: missions with both space and ground combat, since Loadouts are locked in mission maps.

That's a good point, though of course you could simply have an Episode setup in addition to pure Space and pure Ground. That'd even be preferable from the company's perspective since if they only give you 2 Loadouts free like they did equipment Loadouts... ;)

In thinking about it, though, the Loadouts suggestion would probably best be used only if/when they manage to fix the current Loadout system. Having all your Traits de-selected (the way your boffs sometimes do) on a map where you can't re-select them would be problematic, to say the least.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • chitowngrizz420chitowngrizz420 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This is an absolute must!
    Its not like we get charged a respec anymore for swapping out traits so cryptic will not lose any money. As thankful as I am about being able to swap out traits it makes no sense to make players have to swap out space/ground every time they que up for ground/space missions. Plus the amount of traits available now a days from boxes,missions,crafting,etc means there is no shortage of having to pick and choose traits.
    lololol_zpszeo2byvx.jpg
    Fleet Admiral GRIZZ
    U.S.S. Chicago NCC 1833-C
    Sector 31 ANTKB

ANTKB Gaming Community
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited July 2014

IMO, the "choose space or ground" model is fatally flawed and should not occur *anywhere* in the game - and I include BOff abilities in that. PVP has enough problems without adding that into the mix.

@OP; fully support your idea. It just seems slighly bizzare that this was not the case to start with; the only reason I can think of is that actually getting to the point where you have 9+ space and 9+ ground traits is a non-trivial exercise.
  • schmedickeschmedicke Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    No.

I like this idea seeing how I spend 99% of my time in space anyways.
  • gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Considering you can switch out your traits anyway, having two or more "loadouts" for traits would be a great QOL boost, saving your wrists. I'd certainly love to have an alternative trait loadout for ground, at the very least, but would be happy to buy a couple more for different space and ground loadouts.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This is a stupid idea that leads to nerfs, and also a waste of the little manpower the sto team has.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    No.

^ This, agreed. Would love to see the Rep traits choices to be not limited to certain amount of space/ground, rather than, have the ability to specialize yourself the way you want. The moment they force us to pick certain amount of space/ground, without ability to pick, even with the base traits... ughhh...
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• chitowngrizz420chitowngrizz420 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    This is a stupid idea that leads to nerfs, and also a waste of the little manpower the sto team has.

How would this lead to a nerf?

This would not effect the game play of pvp,stf,ground/space battle zones or any qued missions. The only thing if any that would get a buff would be the playing of episodes since they have both space and ground in a single mission. Which doesnt mean a thing in the big picture.

Manpower?

This is the kind of thing that would be super easy to implement.
    lololol_zpszeo2byvx.jpg
    Fleet Admiral GRIZZ
    U.S.S. Chicago NCC 1833-C
    Sector 31 ANTKB

ANTKB Gaming Community
  • gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »

How the hell would it lead to nerfs? As per the OP it is functionally identical to what we have now, it's just less RSI inducing.

I switch out space for ground traits when I'm doing the Voth ground battlezone now, all this would do would mean I had two loadouts. Give the loadout switch a reasonable cooldown like the ship loadouts (otherwise you have to switch manually as per now) and it's sorted.

I don't think the loadouts need to be "dedicated" to space or ground in any way either - just two (or more in the C-Store) blank loadouts.
  • ocp001ocp001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    +1 on the idea of trait loadouts.
  • janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yes, 8 ground trait slot and 8 space. I have made thread before about this also: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1157431
    It is very uncomfortable to click it all while switching between space and ground stuff. A lot of times I forget to switch them, ending up with space traits on ground and vice versa.

Also, Active Reputation tab has only 4 slots. We had 4 reps and it was ok. After they made new one so there is not enough space for ground and space skills. They have to separate them too.

Make it so. Plz.

In-game handle @Janetza
  • ukcaptain420ukcaptain420 Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My thought on the matter, which brought me to this post was that there could at least be a filter option on the traits, so you could filter ground or space, while you're slotting them. This would help with the speed of changing traits, a bit, without compromising the restrictions already in place.

I like the idea of a loadout type system, where you could save a set of traits, I'd imagine this to be similar to the existing loadout system, i.e. 2 slots available which would be fine for most, pve/pvp setup or ground/space setup, but with the ability to get more from the c-store.
    SCM - Infected(S) - DMG Out: 11,776,567 DPS: 114,224.70 (28.7% of Team) - Pinky@ukcaptain420
    I reserve the right to have a completely different standpoint depending on my mood.
    edited August 2014
    My thought on the matter, which brought me to this post was that there could at least be a filter option on the traits, so you could filter ground or space, while you're slotting them. This would help with the speed of changing traits, a bit, without compromising the restrictions already in place.

And a "remove all active Personal Traits" button would be nice.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    staq16 wrote: »
    IMO, the "choose space or ground" model is fatally flawed and should not occur *anywhere* in the game - and I include BOff abilities in that. PVP has enough problems without adding that into the mix.
    I have to agree with this: Forcing someone to outright reject an entire section of the game in order to play one is hardly good design.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2014
    I have to agree with this: Forcing someone to outright reject an entire section of the game in order to play one is hardly good design.

Maybe we'll finally get a split of space and ground skills again with X2 like it was before F2P.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
  • uraciouseuraciouse Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think the OPs suggestion would definitely improve gameplay, if only slightly, and I think it would be something good to add in Delta Rising
  • janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Oh, I am really sick of switching traits between space and ground...

In-game handle @Janetza
  • zysalianzysalian Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Agreed, some kind of "trait loadout" system would be very good, although at this point I'd be happy enough if traits were organized into ground/space sections. The current system is clumsy and goes against the whole concept of switching traits around for versatility and effectiveness.
  • joshmijoshmi Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I agree, that it would be better to have traits be universal. 8 slots seems to be fair enough. But, what I'm currently doing is balancing space and ground traits. I can understand if the game developers don't want to give 8 space and 8 ground, when that's a lot of trait slots to use. But, since there are 8 slots and players do take time swapping for missions, it's also good for the players/customers if there is an improvement. It would be better if many of the traits were universal.

For example, if instead of being only a ground trait, "Resilient" was a space and ground trait that when active gives +5 Physical and +5 All Energy Damage Resistance Ratings both to your character in ground action and to your ship in space. Then you don't have to unselect it in space and then select it again the next time you're on ground. It would be great to just leave selected and working in both.

However, some traits may not really make sense as a universal. For instance, "Singularity Specialist", which increases the chance to build 1 singularity level when attacking. This is a space trait, for Romulans only I think, but it makes no sense in ground use because Romulan ships use Singularity Cores instead of Warp Cores.

It would probably need to be that some traits are universal, but some are exclusively ground or space traits.