test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can we not have ignored people on our teams?

deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
Please, can we have this feature where a person we ignore cannot be teamed with us?

They're ignored... for a reason
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    But what if I want to join up so that I can annoy and troll you?

:)
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,418 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    But what if I want to join up so that I can annoy and troll you?

:)

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. You lose.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    questerius wrote: »
    The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. You lose.

Not according to Kirk.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,418 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Not according to Kirk.

Only fools and Kirk himself, is there really a difference, take Kirk serious.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    To be serious, I don't think this can be something that can be easily policed or be fair.

If all team members has the particular person on the ignore list, then I suppose this is could be a situation where the person will not be allowed to join since everyone does not like that particular person.

However, this is something that can be easily abused to the point where it becomes discrimination. For example, I do not like XYZ because of some past incident. I tell all my team members to put XYZ on their ignore list simply because I do not like that person. But my team members never had any dealings with XYZ. Because I know my team members and they do not know XYZ, my team members would more likely do as I ask.

What if I was the person that instigated the incident between myself and XYZ and I was the "person in the wrong", not XYZ?
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    City of Heroes had a feature called "Player Notes". Basically, you'd give 1 to 5 stars to other players, and that information would be stored in your computer (not on the game servers). Then, upon making teams, the game would know not to team you up with people you gave 1 star to.

I wish we had something similar to this in STO.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    cabezadetortugacabezadetortuga Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If such a thing were implemented, then the onus should always be on the person doing the ignoring to be left out of groups with someone who is ignored.

That would mean that if you queue up and someone on your ignore list is queuing up at the same time, then YOU are the one that is left out of the group while the person on your ignore list goes on to join the mission.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It does seem a little odd that the act of putting someone on the iggy list doesnt prevent you being teamed with them.

However, I'm fairly certain that the chat bucket doesn't connect readily to the teaming bucket.

Any iggy function that got both would have to be a rather deeper piece of code than a quick fix.
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I know (and sure its a different platform etc), that when I played mass effect multiplayer on Xbox live if you put a player on your ignore list you were not teamed with them. Moreover you had the option to put players on a "preferred" list which would team you with those players when possible.
    This worked well for me and over time my gaming experience improved as a result.
    Would be nice to see something like this in STO.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've only ever blocked people who were putting harassing bs into the team chat feed, so yes I think this is a good idea. While it could be abused (I'll ignore people with builds I don't like!), it probably won't be and some people will not learn to be nice if they don't think there will be consequences for their actions.
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    alex284 wrote: »
    I've only ever blocked people who were putting harassing bs into the team chat feed, so yes I think this is a good idea. While it could be abused (I'll ignore people with builds I don't like!), it probably won't be and some people will not learn to be nice if they don't think there will be consequences for their actions.

I dont see why it would be a problem if it were to be abused. Bother the person getting ignored and the person doing the ignoring would end up with a penalty if the matching system were ever in a position to team them up again. If this were implemented it would have to be done so fairly for both parties, yes even for annoying trolls.

Lets say i put player X on ignore because i dont like the way his face looks. The matching system will now never put either of us in the same group. So player X decides to queue up for the 10 man Crystalline Catastrophe. A few moments later i also queue up for 10man CC. I think that the matching system should #1 recognize that player X was in the queue first and me after him and #2 that me and player X should never be teamed up together because i have that person on my ignore list. Because of that the next 10man CC group that gets filled will have player X selected first, but i would not get put into that group. Instead i would get put into the next CC group that gets filled because my place in line is after player X.

EDIT: of course it would suck even more if the positions in the queue were reversed. If i queued up first then that means that player X would have to wait just a little bit longer for the next queue. But would knowing that force people to not act like clowns in STFs? or would it force people to try and play a little better and use teamwork? The previous paragraph is why i wouldnt want to just blindly ignore people because it affects my queue times. This paragraph covers why people dont want to act like idiots/nubs so that their position in the queue gets affected.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If such a thing were implemented, then the onus should always be on the person doing the ignoring to be left out of groups with someone who is ignored.

That would mean that if you queue up and someone on your ignore list is queuing up at the same time, then YOU are the one that is left out of the group while the person on your ignore list goes on to join the mission.

First come first serve...if they're there first, then you've got to wait...if you're there first, then they've got to wait...in the case of exactly joining the queue at the same time, let the RNG Gods determine who goes and who waits.
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Please, can we have this feature where a person we ignore cannot be teamed with us?

STO would not make an ability that allows one player to keep others out of a PuG team, but it is reasonable to have a feature that allows you to decline a PuG that has an ignored person on it. You will be allowed to select the next available team. No harm, no foul (mouth). :P
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sentinel64 wrote: »
    STO would not make an ability that allows one player to keep others out of a PuG team, but it is reasonable to have a feature that allows you to decline a PuG that has an ignored person on it. You will be allowed to select the next available team. No harm, no foul (mouth). :P

I actually prefer that option to the first come first serve thing...
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I think this would be the only acceptable way for a feature like this to be implemented.
    Much less open to abuse.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    valastsarranvalastsarran Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2014
    Well ... how would you know if someone on your team is from your ignore list if you are ... well, you know ... ignoring them? :P

Just sayin' :D
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2014

^^ A most sensible suggestion!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well ... how would you know if someone on your team is from your ignore list if you are ... well, you know ... ignoring them? :P

Just sayin' :D

Sayin', yes, thinkin', no. :P

Ignoring ppl pertains to chat: it has no bearing on seeing them as a team member. Besides, the whole point is not about not seeing them, but about not being queued with them!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2014

i guess it depends on how the team is made up if its a team where you are the leader then any requests from ignored players will go unseen by you, if the team is led by another player he may well invite a player that is ignored by you or if you are on a pve team that is randomly selected from qued players and you might again find you are teamed with ignored players.

as far as i understand it ignoring a player only means that you will not see any of his chatter, get any requests from him to join a team you are leading or recieve any requests from him to join a team where he is the leader.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    toofdkaytoofdkay Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Never going to happen, this has been discussed before and the conclusion is it WILL be abused.
    Because you know, you lot would !
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Wont ever happen, because it would be wildly open to griefing.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    valastsarranvalastsarran Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Sayin', yes, thinkin', no. :P

Ignoring ppl pertains to chat: it has no bearing on seeing them as a team member. Besides, the whole point is not about not seeing them, but about not being queued with them!

I realize that. I know what the term "ignore" means when applied to an MMO type game. That was meant as sarcasm, maybe next time I should try harder? :P
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    s
    toofdkay wrote: »
    Never going to happen, this has been discussed before and the conclusion is it WILL be abused.
    Because you know, you lot would !
    sunfrancks wrote: »

cryptic doesnt care that global muting gets abused, so why would i expect they care if this was somehow abused as well?
  • Options
    xillomxillom Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Can't we all just get along? :D
  • Options
    vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »

So the solution is to be subjected to griefing because a potential solution to griefing is subject to potential griefing? Consider the absurdity in that statement.

This is innane. I ignore someone because they and I do not get along for whatever reason. Why should both of us be subjected to PuGs when neither one of us will desire that?

Griefing is ALREADY IN THE GAME. This kind of system would DECREASE the amount of griefing by separating both parties involved. Why is that not a desirable result? Because it could result in griefing? HOW? Two people don't want to play a game together! Why are they being forced to by the queue system?

If the scenario you're worried about is a person not being able to join a PuG because too many people have them on ignore, then maybe that person needs to evaluate how they play the game and interact with other players.
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    i have certain people on ignore because they're abusive and make people quit or they're deliberately ruining the run. That's why they're on ignore.

I'd like to join a game where that idiot isn't in there, so I got a better chance at the run not being ruined by asshatry.
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    i have certain people on ignore because they're abusive and make people quit or they're deliberately ruining the run. That's why they're on ignore.

I'd like to join a game where that idiot isn't in there, so I got a better chance at the run not being ruined by asshatry.

There is already a way to do this. It's called not pugging.

If you pug you know that you have no control on who you fly with. If you get teamed with someone you don't want to be, that's the risk you agreed to.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Can I ignore you? You seem to be pretty judgmental. STFs with you would probably be awful.

Take your pickiness back to WoW, please.
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I wish ignored people would not allow auto teaming i use ignore for chat trolls n idoiuts that troll team missions. If they cant/wont do there best to get all options in elite or AFK it i dont wont to be teamed with them. Lots of other big mmo do this so why not sto?

P.s im a long time player n sometimes fools learn of the elite channel n i cant remember the 100 of nOObs @ ive put on ignore. e,g IGE if u not got the opt before dont go in front of me. U idout dont u no what not going in front of me means n they still keep doing it n **** the opt up bloody nOObs.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg