test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Champions Online getting a larger update!

shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Ten Forward
I'm sure many already know, just wanted to share this here - aparently Champions Online will be getting one of the bigger updates in a while.
They recently announced the update named "Steel Crusade" set for release on September the 4-th, that is suposed to bring new areas, PvE and progression content as well as some stuff asked for by the community and the old fans of CoH.

The reason I'm mentioning this here is because I know quite a few people here that play CO as well, so I'm very happy for them. Plus I always viewed CO, STO and NW as 'sister games' since they are all built on the same engine, heck we even have cross-game chat set up here.

Another thing worth mentioning IMHO is the following:

- NW just recently released their 4-th module called "Tyranny of Dragons"
- STO has it's 2-nd expansion - "Delta Rising" set to be released in October
- CO is finally getting a bigger update - the "Steel Crusade" in September, potentialy taking the game out of the proverbial "mothballs"

I wonder if this could mean that finally a good era is upon Cryptic? I mean after all the problems, selling the company, re-selling the company, 'no cups in the kitchen', yadda yadda - could it be that Cryptic are finally getting their stuff together? All their games are getting a major update almost at the same time, within 2.5 months!
I hope this is the beginning of something good, that would enable us to enjoy these games for a long long time. :) Maybe even expand with a new MMO, that Stahl is suposedly working on.

Anyway, my congratulations and best wishes to the CO community for the new update! Khaless knows they deserved it, their patience gives the term "nerves of steel" a whole new meaning. :D Heck, I might even reinstall the game myself in September, to check it out.
HQroeLu.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It is good to hear if a company is doing well, I installed CO a while ago but as I was concentrating on STO I didn't go far in it. I think I'll dust it off and give another look at it.
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2014
    Champs' numbers have been great lately, and they team working on it (though small) is doing some fantastic work. I'm looking forward to this update.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Champs' numbers have been great lately, and they team working on it (though small) is doing some fantastic work. I'm looking forward to this update.

TACOFANGS!!!

On another note, I've been meaning to get into Champions Online, but it isn't working with Steam for some reason. :(
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited August 2014
    What Champions really needs is the Foundry :)
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    TACOFANGS!!!

On another note, I've been meaning to get into Champions Online, but it isn't working with Steam for some reason. :(

If you're using the old STO launcher, click Options and check Show All Games. Then you'll be able to install/patch/launch CO or NW right through the STO launcher.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    I'm sure many already know, just wanted to share this here - aparently Champions Online will be getting one of the bigger updates in a while.
    They recently announced the update named "Steel Crusade" set for release on September the 4-th, that is suposed to bring new areas, PvE and progression content as well as some stuff asked for by the community and the old fans of CoH.

The reason I'm mentioning this here is because I know quite a few people here that play CO as well, so I'm very happy for them. Plus I always viewed CO, STO and NW as 'sister games' since they are all built on the same engine, heck we even have cross-game chat set up here.

Another thing worth mentioning IMHO is the following:

- NW just recently released their 4-th module called "Tyranny of Dragons"
    - STO has it's 2-nd expansion - "Delta Rising" set to be released in October
    - CO is finally getting a bigger update - the "Steel Crusade" in September, potentialy taking the game out of the proverbial "mothballs"

I wonder if this could mean that finally a good era is upon Cryptic? I mean after all the problems, selling the company, re-selling the company, 'no cups in the kitchen', yadda yadda - could it be that Cryptic are finally getting their stuff together? All their games are getting a major update almost at the same time, within 2.5 months!
    I hope this is the beginning of something good, that would enable us to enjoy these games for a long long time. :) Maybe even expand with a new MMO, that Stahl is suposedly working on.

Anyway, my congratulations and best wishes to the CO community for the new update! Khaless knows they deserved it, their patience gives the term "nerves of steel" a whole new meaning. :D Heck, I might even reinstall the game myself in September, to check it out.

maybe all that penny pinching has turned to this? they had acquired so much money recently that they could focus on massive updates for all their games, it would explain where the CM's have been and why the devs seem so distant from the community outside social trollworking sites.

i will of course check out the CO upgrade coming because frankly after playing on and off for a while with the same thing leading to TT elite at vibora bay in the past, frankly i lost interest after that.

i have no interest in swordplay and zombies, never had any interest in that aspect if it doesnt have a solid sci-fi element to it like deadspace or system shock 2 for example.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited August 2014
    hevach wrote: »
    If you're using the old STO launcher, click Options and check Show All Games. Then you'll be able to install/patch/launch CO or NW right through the STO launcher.

Wow. Thanks!
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hmmm, maybe I should give CO a try out.

Never played a super hero game, of any sort.

Well, one of those old move tie-in Batman games on my Amstrad back in the day, but doubt my skills with a pixelated batarang are much in demand nowadays.
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's great to see movement on Champions Online, it fills a unique (and underserved) niche in the PWE catalog. (How many fantasy games can you have before they're just competing with each other.)
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    What Champions really needs is the Foundry :)

I've always seen STO's foundry as a kind of retirement policy for the game. Champs has been struggling to put out content with it's limited income. I can't help but see the Foundry as an opportunity to supplement that.
    rinkster wrote: »
    Hmmm, maybe I should give CO a try out.

Never played a super hero game, of any sort.

Well, one of those old move tie-in Batman games on my Amstrad back in the day, but doubt my skills with a pixelated batarang are much in demand nowadays.

The great thing about a game like Champs is the shear customization for the character you can create. It's like a game where you can make a character from almost any genre you want and it still works.
    edited August 2014
    The great thing about a game like Champs is the shear customization for the character you can create. It's like a game where you can make a character from almost any genre you want and it still works.

I'm totally playing this game.
  • lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited August 2014

So am I, I haven't had anyone to play with in Champions for a while, so my toon there has been collecting cobwebs. It will be great to take to the sky's again in Millennium City!

I get excited about new content!!!I also love to use anime to display overreaction moments, so enjoy the clip! :)
    Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
  • blu3drag0n1977blu3drag0n1977 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have tried CO. its a alright game but the control setup is a bit to get around after playing STO and NW exstinsively. CO uses z and i keep trying to hit f. and i miss the numbers being hotkeys for the menues as in NW. wish i could port the NW controls over to CO. But that cool about the CO update thats coming.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,434 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Not sure about the "solid" part :D but the Steel Crusade update has comic-book sci-fi behind it. In the first mission arc, you're fighting nanobots inside the brains of two victims of an artificial plague that's causing people in the streets to spontaneously combust. (Diminution of size in this mission is courtesy of Microman, who's assisting Dr. Silverback with the plague investigation.)

It's an open secret that the force behind this is Mechanon, an artificial intelligence devoted to the destruction of all organic life (and its replacement by superior mechanical versions, apparently). Don't know yet if the whole thing culminates in a massive battle against the Mech itself, but I have hopes...

This update also introduces a new Archetype category, the Reawakened. The first AT, currently undergoing testing on the PTS shard, is the Automaton, which introduces two "new" powers - Rocket Fist (launch your fist to hit every target in a straight line for I think around fifty feet! Fun for the whole family!) and the a new Machine-based passive whose name escapes me. There's still quite a lot of tweaking to do with this AT, of course - for instance, the bonus from the passive only procs if you get in the killing blow, which makes it less useful in groups, and it doesn't refresh, which makes it utterly useless against bosses - but we're playtesting it and offering suggestions, some of which have already been adopted (the replacement of Sonic Stunner as an energy-builder attack with Wrist Bolter, for instance - handheld weapons are out of concept for this AT).

Current scheduling calls for the Steel Crusade to launch on Sept 4; I hope Cryptic North is well-supplied with coffee for the next two weeks...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have tried CO. its a alright game but the control setup is a bit to get around after playing STO and NW exstinsively. CO uses z and i keep trying to hit f. and i miss the numbers being hotkeys for the menues as in NW. wish i could port the NW controls over to CO. But that cool about the CO update thats coming.

Champions Online was my first MMO, if it wasn't for Meowstar I would have never tried Star Trek. He ate, slept and breathed STO at one time! lolz

Even when he was helping me to sign up for Perfect World registration, he said, "lets add STO to our names! It's the best game ever!" The Super fan :rolleyes:
    Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
    edited August 2014
    My characters include Happifun Security System X-4, a security droid built by a toy company; Spider-Bat, a terribly confused billionaire who was bitten by a radioactive bat while hunting rare Amazonian spiders; Blackwing, formerly Spider-Bat's sidekick Blackbird until realizing the old man was totally nuts; Captain Americlown, the result of subcontracting the Super-Soldier program to circus folk; Medic, a former American soldier in Vietnam who died in combat, and was resurrected and empowered by Pajau Yan, the goddess of healing, to atone for his deed in her nation by defending the entire world from the coming Apocalypse (really, averting the Apocalypse is part of the CO storyline!); and the mage Dr. Destiny, aka Randall W. Destiny, PhD, associate professor of applied metaphysics at the University of Michigan Millennium City.

That's just a sample, of course... :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Hey tacofangs, you probably wouldn't tell us this but with the new Delta rising expansion will we be getting a new playable species or faction (Preferably Voth, not Talaxians)?
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited August 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    ... as well as some stuff asked for by the community and the old fans of CoH.

May we hear more about this point, please? :cool:

I cut my MMO teeth on CoH, and it has remained at the top of my favorites list, fondly remembered. Frankly, I played CO for a while, but I was ticked with CO when I got my main to level 30-something and it froze up. Couldn't log it in. Other spots in the list worked. Customer Service was terrible. Suggested it was a glitch and that I should just wipe it and restart. No effort at helping me salvage the character. I restarted alright...on another game elsewhere. I've never gone back. However, this CoH comment has me interested again. (Though what will happen to my main, I don't know.)
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    My characters include Happifun Security System X-4, a security droid built by a toy company; Spider-Bat, a terribly confused billionaire who was bitten by a radioactive bat while hunting rare Amazonian spiders; Blackwing, formerly Spider-Bat's sidekick Blackbird until realizing the old man was totally nuts; Captain Americlown, the result of subcontracting the Super-Soldier program to circus folk; Medic, a former American soldier in Vietnam who died in combat, and was resurrected and empowered by Pajau Yan, the goddess of healing, to atone for his deed in her nation by defending the entire world from the coming Apocalypse (really, averting the Apocalypse is part of the CO storyline!); and the mage Dr. Destiny, aka Randall W. Destiny, PhD, associate professor of applied metaphysics at the University of Michigan Millennium City.

An excellent list.

I particulary liked Americlown.

I may have to download this game and introduce the world to Captain Gravel, the worlds least interesting super hero.....
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,454 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    I might have to check out CO at some point.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've not heard of this news. I had signed CO off as being in 'maintainance mode' a few months ago, but apparently I was in error for doing so.

I should go back in and check it out, except the CO team nerfed my ability to become so huge that the engine could no longer render my character.

I enjoyed being a giant. :(
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,454 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Eh... if I'm able to make a female redhead in a "Cheerleader" outfit that can throw energy balls... I'll be happy.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I only have one and I haven't found time to play recently. :(

My only character is Tsin'Xing, a human from an extradimensional world, who doesn't really look human. She has black wings and dresses in heavy armor.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Eh... if I'm able to make a female redhead in a "Cheerleader" outfit that can throw energy balls... I'll be happy.

Rattler - you wouldn't believe the amount of customisation you get for your character in CO. I'm sorry to say it can make STO seems a little backward at times!

I'm not going to say it perfect though as STO has the better graphics engine IMO and when I did play it, I was getting mixed up because the controls are very similar to - but not the same as STO - so can get a little frustrating at first, but as a second game to STO it is quite awesome.

I was able to create a really good cat character using just the basic options.
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    I've not heard of this news. I had signed CO off as being in 'maintainance mode' a few months ago, but apparently I was in error for doing so.

I should go back in and check it out, excep
    Same here.

That said, I never got to max level with any character. Just wasn't excited enough about the game, I suppose. Thought the customziation options are really amazing.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited August 2014
    mjarbar wrote: »
    Rattler - you wouldn't believe the amount of customisation you get for your character in CO. I'm sorry to say it can make STO seems a little backward at times!

I'm not going to say it perfect though as STO has the better graphics engine IMO and when I did play it, I was getting mixed up because the controls are very similar to - but not the same as STO - so can get a little frustrating at first, but as a second game to STO it is quite awesome.

I was able to create a really good cat character using just the basic options.

when i want to get something together for customization purposes, some things im looking for you cant really find. and when you do dress in something near what you want on CO it makes your female toons look like trash. the issue is that there is a lot of parts and bits in the tailor, but nothing that shows average or class type of look. on top of the rather primitive graphics on the models of both males and females, especially the latter. there are also various lockouts that keep some parts from being around other parts, like putting a robotic mk 2 with a suit otherwise you would have to take away that appearance and create a facsimile using a humanoid body. there are lots of other things missing is cutomization as well on that game.
    edited August 2014
    Well, I've tried it out, and it's a fun game even if the controls are a little unfamiliar.

Made a punchy sort of character, found that if I put all the muscle sliders to max and the wonderfully honest "TRIBBLE" slider to minimum she actually DIDN'T look like a bimbo. Which was a pleasant surprise.

So I gave her a black bodysuit and a cosmetic missile launcher and went in to fight aliens. Rescued some people, killed perhaps more aliens than were absolutely necessary, had fun.

Good game. I still prefer STO, but CO's character creator is a LOT better. Why can't WE have a set of muscle definition sliders like that???
    edited August 2014
    i created a qularr bug on that game, wasnt hard to replicate the results but again a few things needed that didnt appear in the parts and pieces. in any event, gun wielding bug flying around.
    edited August 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Made a punchy sort of character, found that if I put all the muscle sliders to max and the wonderfully honest "TRIBBLE" slider to minimum she actually DIDN'T look like a bimbo. Which was a pleasant surprise.

So I gave her a black bodysuit and a cosmetic missile launcher and went in to fight aliens. Rescued some people, killed perhaps more aliens than were absolutely necessary, had fun.
    If you ever want to spend five actual bucks on the game :) , pick up the Savage Archetype. You can use that to make Three!

(BTW, one precaution for those just starting out in CO - for some reason, when On Alert dropped, some genius decided they needed to "streamline" the character creator. In addition to basic suggested costumes for various ATs, they decided to hide the fact that you could buy premium ATs, and almost half the free costume choices as well as all those available for purchase, behind a level gate - everything that's free, and the fact that stuff can be bought, is revealed when you hit lvl 10 for the first time. Thank Kirby that only happens once per account, but it's powerfully annoying...)

(Note the second: If you log in through Arc, you can get two free Hideouts, some free costume pieces, and a selection of titles to appear above your name. I can't recall at the moment whether that needs a code or not; you can look for that info either on the Arc site, or by searching the CO forums for "free hideouts". Like the Khan outfit here, you only need to log in through Arc the one time.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Nice to hear they get a larger update!

From time to time i try to play it for a while, but after some hours i simply loose motivation.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If you ever want to spend five actual bucks on the game :) , pick up the Savage Archetype. You can use that to make Three!

(BTW, one precaution for those just starting out in CO - for some reason, when On Alert dropped, some genius decided they needed to "streamline" the character creator. In addition to basic suggested costumes for various ATs, they decided to hide the fact that you could buy premium ATs, and almost half the free costume choices as well as all those available for purchase, behind a level gate - everything that's free, and the fact that stuff can be bought, is revealed when you hit lvl 10 for the first time. Thank Kirby that only happens once per account, but it's powerfully annoying...)

(Note the second: If you log in through Arc, you can get two free Hideouts, some free costume pieces, and a selection of titles to appear above your name. I can't recall at the moment whether that needs a code or not; you can look for that info either on the Arc site, or by searching the CO forums for "free hideouts". Like the Khan outfit here, you only need to log in through Arc the one time.)
    I've never been able to figure out how to get the hideout.. :(
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg