test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Camouflage uniforms?

imadude3imadude3 Member Posts: 825 Arc User
does anyone know if there is any fed uniforms with a camo pattern? the Romulans have the 24th century uniform, the KDF does not use camo. the only fed one i can think off is the un-released Enterprise MACO outfit (which has been finished and in the game files for a very long time, but not released :mad:) and i would really like to make a proper military uniform for my crew. i tried the Omega armor, but it did not have the color palette needed.
Maintaining peace through overwhelming firepower.
Post edited by imadude3 on

Comments

• kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I do not think cammo would be effective in the 24th century ground combat. With sensors being as advanced as they are that they can detect life signs from orbit with almost pin point accuracy. Or tricorders pickup people.. even the use the jammer give always the area your trying to hide in.

Plus all the different planets that you would be fighting in each needing there own pattern. I think other then the MACO's in enterprise you never see any major power use them. If anything personal cloaks would be better.. even is not true cloaking tech at least light bending tech to blend in to the back ground over standered cammo patterns.

I have MACO armor with a olive drab + dark brown leather look is the closest I have gotten to it though.
  • havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
  • krrjakrrja Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Wait. If a redshirt is wearing camo and beams down to a planet, does he still die?
  • pfreemanpfreeman Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I believe MACO had a camo-like uniforms. Maybe if we can get their ENT uniforms in game you can have Camo.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs49/i/2009/186/6/0/MACO_Reference_Sheet_by_Groovygoddess.jpg

peter
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    krrja wrote: »
    Wait. If a redshirt is wearing camo and beams down to a planet, does he still die?

Yes, because it'll still be red camo and it'll be an ice planet or any environment that red stands out in.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    krrja wrote: »

All buffs of any kind to redshirts are ineffective due to their shirt.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    edited August 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Use your Stealth Module bro.

The future is now! :cool:
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Doesn't this belong in the art of star trek sub forum?

Shouldn't B-Geek or Skray swoop in and move it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    i wont ENT maco outfit ill even pay the cash for zen :o
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • imadude3imadude3 Member Posts: 825 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Doesn't this belong in the art of star trek sub forum?

Shouldn't B-Geek or Skray swoop in and move it?

i just smacked it in general STO discussion since it is also a general STO discussion.
    about the cloak: a cloak won't make me look good now will it?
    edited August 2014
    Well that's rather subjective.

Camo is pretty tacky imo. Especially the hot pink variety.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    imadude3 wrote: »
    does anyone know if there is any fed uniforms with a camo pattern? the Romulans have the 24th century uniform, the KDF does not use camo. the only fed one i can think off is the un-released Enterprise MACO outfit (which has been finished and in the game files for a very long time, but not released :mad:) and i would really like to make a proper military uniform for my crew. i tried the Omega armor, but it did not have the color palette needed.

Have you tried using the Omega armor? You can't get camouflage, but you can get it black. And black is the new (25th century's) camo. :D
    It also looks a lot more militaristic. :cool:
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
    edited August 2014
    Have you tried using the Omega armor? You can't get camouflage, but you can get it black. And black is the new (25th century's) camo. :D
    It also looks a lot more militaristic. :cool:

little bit? if it actually had camo, it would be perfect.
  • induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Camo Uniforms?

What is this Call of duty?
    This is Star Trek.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    kelshando wrote: »
    I do not think cammo would be effective in the 24th century ground combat. With sensors being as advanced as they are that they can detect life signs from orbit with almost pin point accuracy. Or tricorders pickup people.. even the use the jammer give always the area your trying to hide in.

Plus all the different planets that you would be fighting in each needing there own pattern. I think other then the MACO's in enterprise you never see any major power use them. If anything personal cloaks would be better.. even is not true cloaking tech at least light bending tech to blend in to the back ground over standered cammo patterns.

I have MACO armor with a olive drab + dark brown leather look is the closest I have gotten to it though.

Beginning geek out....:D

We have had advanced means of detecting enemy personnel since the Vietnam War. And personal camo is still one of the better ways of fooling the best detection device still available: "Eyeball, Model 0 Mk. 1". I suspect this would be true even in the hypothetical world presented in Star Trek.

And camo isn't always intended as a means of completely escaping detection, but breaking up your outline in given terrain at a distance. This would apply mostly to the grunts in the field, and hunters who use tree stands or duck blinds at the edge of open spaces.

I agree that optical camo, like the Jem'Hadar's shroud ability, is far superior. But don't discount the usefulness of camo clothing, even with all of the whizbang gadgets and sensors at one's disposal. Some things in warfare will never change. And over reliance on fancy technology is asking for trouble, since that can be countered.

Geek out complete. :P;)
    edited August 2014
    Camo Uniforms?

This is Star Trek.

right... dinos, gingerbread men that follow you around, armors that look like they would be too heavy to wear, weapons that are so big they should be mounted on tanks instead of being held like rifles, definitely Star Trek.

EDIT: i feel like i should mention certain ships like the Undine ships which in no way what so ever no matter how much you modify them, should be flyable by humanoids
    edited August 2014
    Camo Uniforms?

This is Star Trek.

Warfare exists in Star Trek.

And there is canon precedent for use of garb comparable to modern military BDUs.
    edited August 2014
    You cannot assume all humanoid races 'see' within the same spectrum of light as we do. It's incredibly dangerous to continue along that fallacy.
  • krrjakrrja Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    havokreign wrote: »
    You cannot assume all humanoid races 'see' within the same spectrum of light as we do. It's incredibly dangerous to continue along that fallacy.

Then how do all these aliens and diverse lifeforms know that I'm wearing a red shirt and kill me first?
    edited August 2014
    havokreign wrote: »

Unless they can see in infrared (to name an example), breaking up the general humanoid outline (visually) will still be effective.

And infrared sight (once again, to name an example) can be easily countered, since the IR signature can be easily reduced to surrounding levels or it's detection fooled.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Given that the technology to make a soldier appear invisible goes hand in hand with the ability to detect invisible soldiers, especially when the cloak vs sensors on starships battle is very much evident on the show.

It would be nice to see a 25th Century MACO team in camo or A Romulan Republic Special Forces team.
    edited August 2014
    I don't have to make visual contact for you to show up on sensors and shoot you.

But that's not the issue here, it's where's the camo templates? Which we can all agree is that devs don't give a TRIBBLE and never made any, let alone will they make any because a handful of 'veterans' would like to see them.

Once again, your attempts at camouflage makes me laugh.
  • kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It LOOKS cool, but would do you no good in a Star Trek setting.

All you need is a tricorder and your camo, by itself, is worthless.

Set the thing to bio signs and just find a humanoid signal match.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
    edited August 2014

have a scrambler on you?
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited August 2014

So you are looking at your tricorder and not down the sights of your gun?

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • schneemann83schneemann83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I'd say if camo forces the opponent to look onto their tricorder instead of spotting and shooting you on sight, it still works perfectly. Bring on the camouflage, I for one prefer to be scanned than shot.
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I want the MACO Camo for my Defiant crew,... using the Ent jumpsuits at the moment.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'd post the picture of someone holding ther tricorder and their gun out so they can use both at the same time, but I'm on my phone at the moment.

And asking if I have a scrambler handy is exactly my point, that's what's hiding you, not your shirt.

Ps, head worn sights from the episode of DS9 with the TR116...
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
    edited August 2014
    I'd post the picture of someone holding ther tricorder and their gun out so they can use both at the same time, but I'm on my phone at the moment.

And asking if I have a scrambler handy is exactly my point, that's what's hiding you, not your shirt.

so you're telling me, that if i am in a jungle with a scrambler, wearing camouflage, being chased by a redshirt (quite literally) with a tricorder, he's gonna find me? not likely.

PS: that was improvised tech, one of a kind (except for Dax's copy) what are the chances of the hunter having that? seriously? besides, it seems from the show that the visual from it was a direct feed, without heatseeking, you know, like looking through your eyes? even if he/she had that, they would still need to spot me with it, which is what the camo prevents.
    even if it had heat vision, don't you think the scrambler would be able to scramble the camera system? if it can block a tricorder, then it can block a visual device.