Options

Kinetic Cutting Beam Question

2»

Comments

• Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    baudl wrote: »
    best kinetic weapon in the game + [buffed by AP consoles (if i'm not mistaken)] + an incredible 2 piece set bonus!
    make no mistake, this weapon + the assimilated console is a must have for pretty much ANY build.

*edit: had to correct myself there, because i was under the impression AP consoles would buff the KCB, which is not the case, since it deals kinetic dmg.

this... 360 and omega weapons amp... done.
  • Options
    undyingzeroundyingzero Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    http://imgur.com/gLHNDm5

Notice the KCB's damage. Notice how no console can boost its damage (Not even Antiproton).

It's not a weak weapon when it can pull that damage with no console buffs.
  • Options
    gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Do fleet tac consoles with [+Beam] buff the KCB?
    signature.png
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Do fleet tac consoles with [+Beam] buff the KCB?

unfortunately, no
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Blah, blah, blah. Stop the hostility, otherwise Miri will get mad at you. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    [REDACTED]
    /10char
    /10char
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    theshushuxtheshushux Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    only on hull.
    excellent pve weapon. lame pvp weapon
    The original shu-shu !
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    http://imgur.com/gLHNDm5

Notice the KCB's damage. Notice how no console can boost its damage (Not even Antiproton).

It's not a weak weapon when it can pull that damage with no console buffs.

I deliver more punishment in damage using torpedoes, than the KCB offers up, but I use torpedoes that have effects other than simply kinetic damage.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    trilljinxtrilljinx Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My two cents on the Kinetic Cutting Beam...

By itself, it's a mediocre weapon. Coupled with a console, it's better. Now add cannons to the front of your ship, and it gets a lot better because cannons can rip through shields in a single volley (granted, not on harder content, that may take two volleys, maybe three).

Finally, add some more of the Omega set, and you get the Borgified Tractor Beam (whatever it is called) as a 3-piece bonus. Pretty sure it's the three piece bonus. Now, this tractor beam coupled with the KCB and the console make the KCB lethal.

I'll admit it has been a while since I last played the character that has this build, but I used to be able to knock shields out, hit the tractor beam, then use the KCB to take off around 50% of a target's hull in a single shot (or about 30% on elite STFs).
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    trilljinx wrote: »
    My two cents on the Kinetic Cutting Beam...

By itself, it's a mediocre weapon. Coupled with a console, it's better. Now add cannons to the front of your ship, and it gets a lot better because cannons can rip through shields in a single volley (granted, not on harder content, that may take two volleys, maybe three).

Finally, add some more of the Omega set, and you get the Borgified Tractor Beam (whatever it is called) as a 3-piece bonus. Pretty sure it's the three piece bonus. Now, this tractor beam coupled with the KCB and the console make the KCB lethal.

I'll admit it has been a while since I last played the character that has this build, but I used to be able to knock shields out, hit the tractor beam, then use the KCB to take off around 50% of a target's hull in a single shot (or about 30% on elite STFs).

Yes the 3pc, is a good combo, but the horrid 3min cd is a tad much, either way the KCB is a perfect fit, for those looking to do broadside beam boats, as it offers 360* of kinetic user friendly damage, and it fits well with ships having difficulty turning, or simply not looking to use/invest skill points into torpedoes/mines.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    yes it's not good against shields, but you get the set bonuses, and it's 360. on an AP beam build it's priceless, since you can have TWO of your aft weapons firing forward
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    rondora wrote: »
    seeing as this thread is debating the relevance of this weapon type, i figured i would ask my question here.

yesterday in game someone asked in chat if it was a good idea to keep all beam weapons the same type or put a few different kinds on your ship, this sparked a debate among others and got me thinking since i have AP, plasma, tetryon banks(i think) and the omni on my ship. i seem to kill things just fine so wasnt sure.

Generally, I would say stay with a single weapon type, however, I would make the exceptions the kinetic cutting beam AND the Experimental Romulan Array as it uses ZERO energy.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    In short its good to have one in your bank or inventory.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • Options
    mynameisnommynameisnom Member Posts: 639 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    baudl wrote: »
    best kinetic weapon in the game + [buffed by AP consoles (if i'm not mistaken)] + an incredible 2 piece set bonus!
    make no mistake, this weapon + the assimilated console is a must have for pretty much ANY build.

*edit: had to correct myself there, because i was under the impression AP consoles would buff the KCB, which is not the case, since it deals kinetic dmg.

I'd disagree on it being best kinetic weapon in game, its buffed by no consoles, though pure damage boosting boff/ career powers do affect it, as does weapon power unlike torpedoes. I will agree the two and three set is sweet however.
    [SIGPIC]http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.html[/SIGPIC]
    stoutes wrote: »
    Those fish are much like their masters, filthy backstabbers... All battlecloaked fish, waiting for the right moment...
    The boss being a gigantic Winter Epohh Researcher. As you lay waste to the Epohh Horde, she can occasionally cry out things like, "Didn't you want an Epohh friend?"
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    OK at this point, seeing a lot of confusion I'm going to clarify stuff. The Kinetic Cutting Beam (KCB) obtained from T2 Omega Reputation, is part of a 3-set including:

The Assimilated Module, a universal console obtained from T1 Omega Reputation, commonly used for its boost in critical chance and severity. A cheap Tachyokinetic console if you will.

And the Omega Torpedo, a plasma type torpedo obtained from T4 Omega Reputation, which at high yield produces a large plasma "Bolt" seen used by Borg lance ships. This torpedo, when used to kill a target, will have the ship in question "dissolve" rather than explode.

The 2-set essentially stops weapon drain for a few seconds, very useful for beamboats, especially if it procs during a beam overload.

Set 2: Omega Weapon Amplifier

On hit with any energy weapon, 2.5% chance: to self: Applies Omega Weapon Amplifier:
    +10 Current Weapon Power
    +500 Current Weapon Power Resistance Rating for 3 sec
    +500 Maximum Weapon Power Resistance Rating for 3 sec

The 3-set makes you invincible for a few seconds, though has a really low proc chance.

Set 3: Reactive Deflection

Passive
    1% Chance when hit to reduce all incoming damage by approximately 99% for 2 seconds. This cannot occur more frequently than once every 30 seconds.

Well, IMO the "cannot occur more frequently than once every 30 seconds" is.... Unneeded.

Further clarification and recent bug fixes.

Kinetic Cutting Beam: When the kinetic cutting beam is used prior within about 4 seconds to the Assimilated Space Set's 3-set "Assimilated Tractor Beam" which is part of the set and does not take up a boff slot, a stacking damage bonus occurs on the tractor and KCB's target.

The KCB is NOT buffed by any tactical engineering or science consoles, unless they add base critical severity or critical chance to your ship. Some, due to its color think it is buffed by antiproton consoles. It is not. Then some look at tooltip, see kinetic and try all torpedo type consoles. These will not work either.

The only thing that buffs the KCB is abilities like APO (Attack Pattern Omega) a tactical boff ability, APA ( Attack Pattern Alpha) EPtW ( Emergency power to weapons) your current weapon power, TF ( Tactical Fleet) and so on. Base damage adding powers.

The KCB also does not bypass shields. It is a torpedo beam that does have damage added from current weapon power and stuff like EPtW, which torpedoes cannot. You also can only equip one PER SHIP. You can acquire more than one, but cannot equip more than one on the same ship.

Omega Torpedo: was somewhat recently fixed, as before instead of firing a salvo "clip" of 5 torps then recharging, it would go from 5 then 1 but not recognize it was at the bottom of the clip, thus firing a trip once every 2 seconds forever or until target destroyed. Also, the amount of torpedoes in the clip do NOT affect the damage of the plasma "Bolt" nor does the bolt consume more than 1 charge from the clip.

Assimilated Module: No fix/explanation needed.

Holy hell. Think that covers it all. Now... Someone get me something to drink before I pass out? *passes out*

[SIGPIC]http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.html[/SIGPIC]
    Those fish are much like their masters, filthy backstabbers... All battlecloaked fish, waiting for the right moment...
    The boss being a gigantic Winter Epohh Researcher. As you lay waste to the Epohh Horde, she can occasionally cry out things like, "Didn't you want an Epohh friend?"
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    yes it's not good against shields, but you get the set bonuses, and it's 360. on an AP beam build it's priceless, since you can have TWO of your aft weapons firing forward

Even more now. Unless I'm mistaken Scimitars/Avengers/Mogh/Contororix/Kumar is have a definite beam advantage. Ok maybe not the kumari and contororix, but scims and so on can have 5 dbbs KCB very rare omni of your choice, then ultra rare omni of your choice.
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It is a must have (with console)for cannon boats in that it's omni directional, can refill weapon power and the weapon power resistance will cause total damage to exceed that of just using a turret.

In pvp it's a tad different of a story, if your an expert pilot...and I mean creme de la creme pvper expert, the kcb proc is OP, the damage is going to be terrible bit when you proc and fire a slavo of elachi dhcs/dbb...people go boom.

beamboat that overcap should just ignore the kcb, the console is decent...but another beam is a better choice. That's for pvp and pve.

If you can't out turn your target in most matches. Pass on the kcb

My tests anyway
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Omega Torpedo: was somewhat recently fixed, as before instead of firing a salvo "clip" of 5 torps then recharging, it would go from 5 then 1 but not recognize it was at the bottom of the clip, thus firing a trip once every 2 seconds forever or until target destroyed. Also, the amount of torpedoes in the clip do NOT affect the damage of the plasma "Bolt" nor does the bolt consume more than 1 charge from the clip.

Does the Omega Torpedo benefit from Torpedo Spread?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Does the Omega Torpedo benefit from Torpedo Spread?

Yes but it puts it on an 8 second cd

• Options
    edited August 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    Yes but it puts it on an 8 second cd

Thanks for responding for me :D died from sleep depravation. But yes it benefits from torpedo spread, and though it adds a larger coldown its well worth it. The omega torpedo with ts3 is just..... Death against large groups, especially with the omega kinetic shearing.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for responding for me :D died from sleep depravation. But yes it benefits from torpedo spread, and though it adds a larger coldown its well worth it. The omega torpedo with ts3 is just..... Death against large groups, especially with the omega kinetic shearing.

Gravimetric is more though

• Options
    edited August 2014

Truedat. Though the new lvl 15 craft plasma torpedo looks killer even more than grab against groups in a grab well...would I be wrong in assuming there would be multiple plasma clouds concentrated in that one gw? :D
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    You would not.

• Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Since my Fed engineering toon has completed both Omega and Dyson, is the gravimetric torpedo simply better than the Omega torp? I assume torpedo spread can be used as well. What is the cool down?

My KDF tactical toon has finished both Omega and New Romuan. Between the Omega and Romulan Hyper-Plasma which torpedo is considered better? I am considering the plasma torp because of the 6 second cool down even though the torps can be shot down. I fly the T5 Hegh'ta heavy BoP and I use Gravity Well 1.

In both cases I plan on install a forward and aft torp launcher.
  • Options
    ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Since my Fed engineering toon has completed both Omega and Dyson, is the gravimetric torpedo simply better than the Omega torp? I assume torpedo spread can be used as well. What is the cool down?

One of my characters uses the full Omega set, the other uses the gravimetric torpedo. Of the two, the grav with spread (particularly with gravity well) does a mite more damage and is a whole heck of a lot more fun to watch. Unmodified cool down for gravimetric torp is 8 seconds.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    beamboat that overcap should just ignore the kcb, the console is decent...but another beam is a better choice. That's for pvp and pve.

Hm, I think I disagree with this, at least with regards to PvE.

A beamboat still needs a source of kinetic damage in PvE, because there's some annoying enemies that drop aceton assimiliators. The KCB is a hitscan weapon with no travel time, so targeting an assimilator kills it very quickly.
  • Options
    ddemlongddemlong Member Posts: 294
    edited August 2014
    I tend to find the KCB to be meh, I mean it lists a high dps, but the damage output is kind of weak.

It needs to hit an exposed hull to be effective, yet shield facings can regen pretty quickly, so its effectiveness weakens, and even when you do manage to keep the facing down for long, you usually kill them off way before the KCB can rack up some decent dps.

If you prefer not to use any major kinetic weapons, such as mines, or torpedoes, than the KCB is a decent filler, but as for kinetic weapons go in general IMO, I find it to be so so at best.

Exact reason why I replaced it with the Heavy turret from the Undine set and with the Uni Console I get the Disruptor boost without loosing a tac console.

Much Damage!

Very Improved!

So Damage!

:D I can just picture that stupid dog now.
    I use to do 100K DPS, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Your Ramming Speed III deals 242658 (243540) Kinetic Damage (Critical) to you.
  • Options
    lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    When I use the KCB, I treat it as a 360 degree torp that requires a little energy and can't use any boff powers. However, that comes with the added bonus of crew damage and a set bonus if combined with the console or torpedo.

Another advantage of the KCB. If, like me, you run an energy build (no torps) then it's your only defense against the annoying Aceton ASSimilators... :D
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'd disagree on it being best kinetic weapon in game, its buffed by no consoles, though pure damage boosting boff/ career powers do affect it, as does weapon power unlike torpedoes. I will agree the two and three set is sweet however.

yet it has the highest sustained DPS value among kinetic weapons, despite not being boosted by any consoles or abilities. If sustained DPS is a valid measurement for a weapon...then KCB is the best in kinetic dmg.
    And it is the only omni directional kinetic weapon.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    In short both the console and the cutting beam are nice to have in your inventory. Ignore the arguing on the thread about it. I have been playing this game for 3 years and have used them in different builds. If you use them so be it, enjoy.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).