test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Say something positive about: Captain Janeway

moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Ten Forward
I believe I have finally stumped you, Ten Forward.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
Post edited by moonshadowdark on

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    janeway had honorable motives for everything, carefully thought out plans? Um.... sometimes...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Best Hair of all the main Trek Captains
    GwaoHAD.png
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    She had spunk!
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    z3ndor99 wrote: »
    She had spunk!

I hate spunk!

But seriously, the one thing I liked about Janeway is she was a dog person. She had a cute Irish Setter, Mollie.

People who love dogs are awesome. Except when their psychopathic tendencies overshadow that virtue and they become ugly husks of a human being as a resu-- oh, right. Positive.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,449 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Despite the bipolar writers...
    Janeway did what she had to in order to protect her ship and crew. Takes guts to survive out in the Delta Quadrant.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited August 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Takes guts to survive out in the Delta Quadrant.

Just ask the Viidians!
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,449 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    The Viidians don't count. They stole peoples guts! They weren't their own!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited August 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The Viidians don't count. They stole peoples guts! They weren't their own!

Well, they were taking guts!
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited August 2014
    It also takes guts to survive Neelix' cooking?
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2014

shes more exciting then the stump in ten forward. she always gets into a reckless fight somewhere.:P
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • chrisedallen89chrisedallen89 Member Posts: 17,293 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hmm... this one is hard....

Put up with Kes for 3 years... I would have tossed her butt out of the air lock.
  • spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There is coffee in this captain.
    P58WJe7.jpg

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    More manly than Picard.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    She provided Starfleet with a really, really good reason to rewrite their psychiatric evaluation system?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Janeway had her moments. She's not as good as Kirk or Picard, but not nearly as bad as people make her out to be. Plus she was played really well by Kate Mulgrew, and I really dug the motherly role she had with Seven.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    She got her ship and crew home with a little help from her future self
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
      edited August 2014

As if! I loved the idea that they finally made a female Captain, she wasn't the best written character in the franchise but she wasn't treated like a helpless damsel who didn't know what to do! I did enjoy her attitude in some cases and loved the humor of Q trying to romance and marry her! lolz

If you wanted to stump me, you should have asked me to find something positive about that shameless fanboy service, 7 of 9! I hated that character!
      Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
      "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
    • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
      edited August 2014
      Yeah, the best thing I can say about Janeway is that Mulgrew played the role well, as written.
      You're right. The work here is very important.
      tacofangs wrote: »
      ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
    • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
      edited August 2014
      lunasto wrote: »
      If you wanted to stump me, you should have asked me to find something positive about that shameless fanboy service, 7 of 9! I hated that character!

I dunno, if you can overlook the catsuit and obvious, shameless reasons she was added to the show, she became one of the most interesting, consistently-written characters on the show, along with the Doctor.
      You're right. The work here is very important.
      tacofangs wrote: »
      ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
    • wyrdofgodwyrdofgod Member Posts: 7 Arc User
      edited August 2014
      Janeway is actually my favorite captain from all the series, with Johnathan Archer and Ben Sisko a very close 2nd and 3rd.

Writing aside, no other captain has faced what Janeway had to deal with - wrenched to the furthest point in the galaxy with no real support, no real allies, save those made en route, and no backup to call on when things went badly (Year of Hell). Yet she still managed to not only get her crew home, but met challenges the likes of which no other captain, save Johnathan Archer has faced since.

She was a strong woman, sitting in what has traditionally been a "man's" chair, yet she managed to, as Q so eloquently pointed out, maintained her femininity. She was tough when she needed to be, motherly when she needed to be, and in all honesty, was always exactly what her crew needed at any given moment - even when she was at her worst (again, Year of Hell).

With her mismatch, hodgepodge crew of Starfleet deserters (the Maquis) and the random collection of aliens, holograms and socially malaligned borg, as a captain she couldn't have asked for a better supporting crew.

Chakotay turned out to be the best First Officer - pulling lightyears ahead of Will Riker (he'd have never had the moQDu' to punch a subordinate ["That's also the Maquis way, isn't it?"]), yet maintained his gentle, Native (still not sure what sort*) Person nature, even when facing insurmountable odds. His advise was always sensible, even when it was exactly NOT what Janeway wanted to hear.

In all, Voyager has always been one of my favorite series and crews. Not hard to find good things to say there - even if the story concept was very reminiscent of Robotech ;-)

*While I am not an expert on Native People, I do consider myself more educated about Native People than most, and am very sympathetic towards them. Chakotay, while claiming to be a descendant of "The Ancient Rubber Tree People", demonstrated traits of many different tribes - his medicine bundle, use of hallucinogenics, medicine wheel, facial tattooing, and spirituality made him something of a hodgepodge of different tribes. And while I feel he was handled tastefully, and his "tribe" is a work of fiction, a bit more could have been done to make him either conform to a specific tribe, or further fictionalize his tribe by not 'borrowing' so much from so many different tribal traditions.
    • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
      edited August 2014
      Hmm, she tossed a Q in jail, sat in judgement of another Q and dared to be extremely defiant and rude to the Q.

She had a touch of sarcasm, not found with the other captains...

JANEWAY: Open the anti-matter injectors to one hundred twenty percent.
      KIM: Captain, that could breach the core!
      JANEWAY: So will that black hole. Now just do it!
    • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
      edited August 2014
      the Head of Engineering at my old University had a very similar attitude to Janeway, I
      always got on well with her. She scaled a very difficult ladder, on her own merit, in a
      very male dominated industry. She was always very direct and straight talking, brooked
      no nonsense and could make men twice her size tremble with a talkdown. She always
      put her department 1st, and would willingly stand in the firing line to support those that
      worked for her.. not as attractive as Kate Mulgrew though.
      tYld1gu.gif?1
      TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
    • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
      edited August 2014
      The moral and ethical discussions between Janeway and Seven were pure gold. Highlight of the series to me.

She managed to get her crew home, even if she did have to break the timeline to do it.

She had the balls to negotiate with the Borg.

Kate Mulgrew played the part well.

Honestly, I would love to know how she would have fared without having the magic reset button every episode. Ok, so they spend time between episodes trading at outposts and getting the ship fixed. They couldn't have been doing that between every episode though, surely?

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
    • pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
      edited August 2014
      Admittadly, when Voyager first came out I balked at the idea of a woman captain. Before you judge me, I was still young and a bit more absorbed in my own ego to relate to a woman as a hero. This didnt just apply to Star Trek, or TV. It was authors, musicians, and women in general.

I can say for certain that growing up watching Star Trek, Janeway had an impact on these views. She was a powerful character, and watching women like Janeway and Kira kick TRIBBLE and command situations is something I appreciate now in a way that I couldnt when I was a younger man.

This is what Star Trek is about to me, not just to explore strange new worlds, and seek out new civilizations, but to explore new ideas, and expanding my intellectual horizons.
    • slyism3003slyism3003 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited August 2014
      For me my favorite Janeway moment had to be during "Bride of Chaotica " when they were in the conference room. Paris had just suggested to her to be in the program. Seven makes some sort of sarcastic comment when Janeway looks at her and says "Thanks" while at the same time puts her hand out as to say " One more of those and I'll put you in regeneration mode". That part alone should be a gif.

VADM Malinda Leisha Ketchem, Federation Ambassador, U.S.S. Orlando
    • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
      edited August 2014
      grylak wrote: »
      Honestly, I would love to know how she would have fared without having the magic reset button every episode. Ok, so they spend time between episodes trading at outposts and getting the ship fixed. They couldn't have been doing that between every episode though, surely?

That would be "Year of Hell" (although she did have a "magic reset button" at the end)
    • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
      edited August 2014
      grylak wrote: »
      The moral and ethical discussions between Janeway and Seven were pure gold. Highlight of the series to me.

She managed to get her crew home, even if she did have to break the timeline to do it.

She had the balls to negotiate with the Borg.

Kate Mulgrew played the part well.

Well, wouldn't you prioritize fixing your ship whenever it got holes shot in it? :P
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • adastra1930adastra1930 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
      edited August 2014
      Her voice and her hair. Yeah, yeah, I know, my feminism card ought to be revoked! But I respect women who can simultaneously be a badass leader and wear lipstick at the same time.
      =/\= ==================== = /\ =
      Fleet Admiral Kenna
      Producer/Host Priority One Podcast
      Twitter @adastra1930
      Per Aspera, Ad Astra
      =/\= ==================== =/\=
    • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
      edited August 2014
      She turned into Silver Fox, Admiral Janeway :o (wouldn't touch Captain Janeway with a bargepole though... :P )
    • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
      edited August 2014
      She turned into Silver Fox, Admiral Janeway :o (wouldn't touch Captain Janeway with a bargepole though... :P )

Okay this is the best response I have seen. Fair point.
      "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP