test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Let's talk Boffs -- TOO much customization??

nabreekinabreeki Member Posts: 2,657 Arc User
I recently -- and I know I'm way behind on this -- experimented with my first Roluman toon about a week or two ago, and overall I had an incredibly pleasant experience. I guess I never fully ventured into what made LoR great when it was released (too busy grinding on my Fed, I'm sure you've seen him around), so this delayed bit of new content was refreshing, especially as we wait for the new expansion.

One thing, though, and I realize I might be in the minority here: I really like Tovan Khev. I think, in the missions, his insights, advice, and voice acting make me feel like I'm on a team, not just followed around by a few bumbling, otherwise easily forgettable NPCs. I like the way he is implemented in the game, and I think Cryptic can do one better.

I was thinking: Why can't everyone just have a few assigned boffs that match their level and expertise (since you'll be playing with them from the beginning)? We don't have to worry about choosing a name, agonizing over race, spending hours customizing the appearance, and so forth. We can start the game with a few well-developed, right out of the package boffs that communicate with us as we play?

I know this could present a problem with skills -- people like choosing boffs/training them with specific skill sets -- how about having a kind of kit system were we can just buy kits with several built-in skills that cannot be altered, but can be switched out with other kits? Sounds like a pretty plausible idea (to me, anyway)?

Realizing fully that the Devs are busy at work on the next expansion, I realize that this kind of system wouldn't get implemented right away, or maybe not until 10.5 or something, but I think it's worth thinking over and considering for future release. Cut out all the extras and just give us a solid team.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    nabreeki wrote: »
    I really like Tovan Khev.

I was thinking: Why can't everyone just have a few assigned boffs that match their level and expertise (since you'll be playing with them from the beginning)?

As you mentioned the biggest issue would be skills. What would we do about different ships? Or if we want to change builds? Or use instance-specific equipment (as in reps)? Your idea isn't as workable as you assume it is.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Sorry, but no... The level of customisation for most Boffs is fine... There are many (Jem'Hadar Tac & Nelen Exil, I'm looking at you) need more...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • thore187thore187 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Ummm....no. While I, unlike the perceived general consensus of the community, actually liked Tovan and what he brought to the story, I also like the level of customization available for BOFFs.

If anything I'd like more customization, not less.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,494 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Valid point, but somewhat limiting in BOff abilities. Not to mention I don't think Tovan can be traded to other Romulan Tac Captains to train Captain Trainable powers.

You have to consider not everyone plays the same, so we need the ability to be flexible, and be able to have a diverse crew of our own. My Tac still has the Green quality Andorian BOff from when she went through the old tutorial a couple years ago. I made her my First Officer. I did get Flores because she was a free purple quality BOff.

Tovan doesn't really bother me personally, but maybe some people wanted an all female Bridge Crew. I know one of my fleetmates does already.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • thore187thore187 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    My Tac still has the Green quality Andorian BOff from when she went through the old tutorial a couple years ago.

Mine does too. lol.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    You have to consider not everyone plays the same, so we need the ability to be flexible, and be able to have a diverse crew of our own. My Tac still has the Green quality Andorian BOff from when she went through the old tutorial a couple years ago. I made her my First Officer. I did get Flores because she was a free purple quality BOff.
    Yes, I have several of Nesza/Shelana/Corspa/etc... She's quite useful. One or two of my chars has Flores, just because.

A lot of my chars have rosters based on whatever random boffs I got while leveling, and the race choices are pretty interesting at times. Somehow my Romulans keep getting Klingons... And some of the aliens I've gotten a really weird, but cool.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    thore187 wrote: »
    Ummm....no. While I, unlike the perceived general consensus of the community, actually liked Tovan and what he brought to the story, I also like the level of customization available for BOFFs.

If anything I'd like more customization, not less.

It's not even that people hate Tovan, they hate that they can't get rid of them.

the lack of choice angers them.
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I recently -- and I know I'm way behind on this -- experimented with my first Roluman toon about a week or two ago, and overall I had an incredibly pleasant experience. I guess I never fully ventured into what made LoR great when it was released (too busy grinding on my Fed, I'm sure you've seen him around), so this delayed bit of new content was refreshing, especially as we wait for the new expansion.

One thing, though, and I realize I might be in the minority here: I really like Tovan Khev. I think, in the missions, his insights, advice, and voice acting make me feel like I'm on a team, not just followed around by a few bumbling, otherwise easily forgettable NPCs. I like the way he is implemented in the game, and I think Cryptic can do one better.

I was thinking: Why can't everyone just have a few assigned boffs that match their level and expertise (since you'll be playing with them from the beginning)? We don't have to worry about choosing a name, agonizing over race, spending hours customizing the appearance, and so forth. We can start the game with a few well-developed, right out of the package boffs that communicate with us as we play?

I know this could present a problem with skills -- people like choosing boffs/training them with specific skill sets -- how about having a kind of kit system were we can just buy kits with several built-in skills that cannot be altered, but can be switched out with other kits? Sounds like a pretty plausible idea (to me, anyway)?

Realizing fully that the Devs are busy at work on the next expansion, I realize that this kind of system wouldn't get implemented right away, or maybe not until 10.5 or something, but I think it's worth thinking over and considering for future release. Cut out all the extras and just give us a solid team.

Perhaps some of us like agonizing over names, races, and looks. All of my toons (4 fed, 2 Klingon, 2 Romulan) each have completely different crews (with unique looks, names, and uniforms).

The devs just got done gutting the game with 9.5, and now you want more options removed?
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    foundrelic wrote: »
    It's not even that people hate Tovan, they hate that they can't get rid of them.

the lack of choice angers them.

That's an easy fix; don't slot him to a station. He will eventually be forgotten as you progress.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have a full roster and bought 2 extra to use from the store. Main reason why I like having than just the 5 starting ones. Is some are equipped for different missions and ships. As they each usually have a different weapon. Specially like dealing with the Borg. I usually go in with a weapon from each type so its a rainbow of colors hitting them. As for ships, some are better with some builds some with others. I use my officers at some point. I can say I have the ones I want unless something good comes out later. Then I will have to buy more. Unless they give us some freebies later. With the new Expansion with new Bridge Officer coming, this would be a great time for extra slots for them.

My officers are my circle of friends.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • yuki109yuki109 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    NO WAY I have spent a lot of time customizing my boffs and thinking and writing up backstory's in their BIO and can sat that for every single player to have the same boffs would be terrible imagine standing in the dyson battle zone surrounded by clones of boffs with the sme look and names.

JUST NO.
  • pompoulusspompouluss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014

A little much, the mask is slipping.

I'd scale it back a teense.
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I kindly disagree. I liked building a professional and personal relationship with Tovan as the missions progress, and I found a kind of depth and immersion there that simply isn't present in the current doff system. I think when players begin, their boffs (all standardized and set with no major customization options) should be like central characters, sharing the spotlight, if you will. That way you can progress through the levels feeling like you are in a functional, capable team.

And, I will kindly disagree as there is nothing baring you from customising and personalising your Boffs while still remaining a 'functional, capable team'... If anything, the ability to customise their abilities makes this even more so as you can then tailor them to your personal game and play style preferences...

If you want your own little core team who never change for RP purposes, that's actually really easy to do (just stick with the first assigned crew members that are awarded as part of the tutorial/introductory episodes) where as I personally am ardently against being forced to play with a fixed crew list simply because certain players want a more RP-focused experience...

Besides, does the Captain of the ship not choose his/her crew at the end of the day?
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Um, no. Just because the OP leasurely wants to cruise around with a few pre-made boffs, doesn't mean we are all like that. Personally, I *love* customization, and am $%^&*(*&^%$ still waiting for them to let me finally customize those fugly Embassy boffs.

As for Tovan, soon as I find an airlock that will take him, he's gone.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • shaitan100shaitan100 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    dude youre on crack. just b/c you like cookie cutter boffs doesnt mean the rest of us do. i think this is just another stupid pointless thread created by you and the goon squad to start another *****-fest. congrats, your cred' is in free-fall. dude get a life.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    bite your tongue op.

there is no such thing as too much customization. only too little and bad UIs.

and tovan is annoying. telling my captain what to do. who the captain here. me thats who. k'gen knows how to show respect I still think it's because he saw me kill the last captain.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Targeting another touchy subject in an attempt to rile up forumgoers via triggering their "I disagree with you and therefor must act like a petulant child" response, eh? Another easy target, but not nearly as overreaching and ham-fisted as manufacturing dev drama. Solid troll.

But I actually kinda like this subject so I'll actually respond to it now that I've pointed out the obvious.

I don't hate Khev either, personally. He helped add a bit of a personal element beyond those fabricated by players. I believe for a lot of gamers, that helps them enjoy their games more.

But while I applaud the attempt, I don't think Khev is what STO really needed. Elisa Flores and her KDF counterpart are the best balance, I think. They give a voice to the early game to help people get invested, and then are allowed to function naturally as a BOff. It's a win-win; you get pre-established characters for people who like that, and can dispose of those characters if you favor total customization. The only real drawback is it's somewhat limiting in terms of storytelling, but seeing as STO is a themepark first and foremost, no one should be expecting deep meaningful stories out of it.

In short, I really disagree with the idea that there might be too much customization. I think there's enough in general, though some certain BOffs could use a little more.
  • theirresponsibletheirresponsible Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I do disagree on most of the original post. I believe more options is better for keeping the majority of the community content. Immersion and roleplaying have different meanings to different people. However removal of options is rarely a good thing especially when internet anonymity allows for excessive entitlement.

I do like the idea of Tovan, K'gan, and fedy equivalent. That being a unified story telling device because all who created a character after there implementation should have them. I believe there should heave been more customizable options for them when creating your character. Case in point for the Romulans Tovan should have had a m/f option, a Romulan/Reman option, and perhaps what class they are. And his traits should have increased in quality over his rank increased. I would actually use him on my romulan characters but why use a Romulan operative when I can slot a Superior Romulan Operative.

Options at creation and the scaleing up of these special bridge officers would have caused extra work yes but you may not have had so meny kill Tovan threads. I must admit I would love to have seen players reaction in the KDF tutorial to setting the K'gan to and Orion female or Naussican/Gorn male only to then go wait the female Klingon first officer was married to X.

As to the Op comment about the Kit like equipping of bridge officer abilities there was talk by the devs about a similar system used in conjunction with the in production crafting system to make bridge officer moduals. My best guess is we may see the test of this system with white quality powers from the new Bridge officer class in expansion 2.
  • kchundakchunda Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Would be fine with this as long as it had some kind of story behind it. If we still have the ability to pick our own direct reports, then a few "assigned" team members could add some diversity. Especially if you do't totally care for them like:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Shelby

In the end they might enbiggen your trust...
    Addicted: January 2012

batlh QIH 'ej!
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    As you mentioned the biggest issue would be skills. What would we do about different ships? Or if we want to change builds? Or use instance-specific equipment (as in reps)? Your idea isn't as workable as you assume it is.

indeed. on ground one one thing i want for all three, grenades on the most destructive for my tacs, shield healz for engineers and healz for sci. in space it depends what i plan on. for example a dhc build later on wont work if my supposed well worked boffs have bfaw and dispersal pattern.

fail by the op.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm ok with boffs that have a backstory. But the problem with this is sometimes the writers get their dialogue wrong other times they get it right. I hate how Tovan was done, but i thought that Elisa and the KDF guys were done ok. The KDF guy will 'recommend' that you do this or 'recommend' that you do that. But Tovan doesnt do that, he just tells you hey lets go to drozana and talk to this person i know.

There are also several times in the storyline where Tovan butts in. I dont even care that part of the storyline involves his sister being kidnapped. The focus of the storyline should not be some scrub NPC. IE there is a mission where you are fighting a bunch of Elachi on a space station. Eventually you get to their commander and you trap him in a force field. But guess what happens? Tovan is the one that comes up and he is the one talking. He says something like "ok you elachi scum time to see what you know". And i'm behind him looking at him going who the hell are you? Or another one was when you are at the Khitomer conference and Empress Sela shows up and Tovan gets all emo.

I dont like that because it's not like i'm reading a book watching the protagonist doing this and that. This is a video game and *i am* the protagonist (at least i think i am?). If anyone is going to get all emo at Empress Sela it should be me and i should be given the dialogue choice to do so or not. If anyone is going to be questioning any Elachi it should be me, not some NPC who i thought i left back on my ship scrubbing toilets.

Now as far as boff abilities and appearances go? i dont want devs deciding that for me either. They already decide what weapon slots and what consoles my ships can have. I dont want them deciding what boff abilities i can use too.
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Completely agree with the statement about Tovan Khev adding a little character element to what I would otherwise call a "missed opportunity" regarding BOFFs. While people don't seem to like the cookie cutter boff idea, it does give more options to make the boffs into actual characters rather than barbies with accessories.

I'd rather have some depth to my game than a little bit of shallow dress-up because I'm, quite frankly, not a twelve-year-old girl. I get that STO is supposed to be the "dumbed down" MMO for casual, F2P players, but let's dip beneath the surface here and really turn this "game" into an "experience."

Then stick with the ones provided, or feel free to replace them with VR remakes if you don't like the green/white issue - one of the best parts of STO is how open for player choice customisation is. It is a very bad idea to take away that.

My Vulcan has VR remakes of Zarva, T'Vrell and Kolez, my KDF has VR remakes of B'ellena and Ch'gren, and my Rom... has done nothing apart from uniform changes as VR replacements means tonnes of EC, or Rom character Boff farming, and I lack the motivation right now to farm SRO Boffs that way...

And equally, it is just as fine to go for an all Saurian/Human, or all SRO, or all Nauassican (sp?) for the space trait bonuses.

Or to create your own Boffs entirely, and craft your own story.

The Tovan side of the issue is another thing entirely...
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The butting in and a bit of limelight time is one thing - its his insubordination that is the problem.
    edited August 2014
    I don't really see the point in complaining about a character for "butting" in occasionally. Though I know we are technically supposed to be the protagonist, I think if we put our own narcissism aside, there can be opportunities presented for OTHER characters to develop. I don't recall any ST show where the Captain did all the work himself while his underlings were shadows in the background. Characters all have their own complexities, personalities, and so on. If Kira didn't constantly butt heads with Sisko, early DS9 would have lost a lot of tension in the first few seasons.

I guess maybe some players need to feel a sense of control or power while wearing the fake captain or admiral badge? So they need a few bumbling, silent NPCs to stand in the background since all the others players are already admirals/couldn't care less about you/actively annoy people by not listening to commands/requests/orders?

I don't know. It could very well be an interest look into the psychology of people in mmorpgs, or Star Trek fans, but I think it cheapens the playing experience at the expense of a few lame options.

actually there is a system in place, ranks and structure, rules and regulations. an officer shouldnt speak out of turn every chance he or she gets just to advise their captain how to undermine and belittle the captain for his or her own responsibilities on their ship. tovan khev was a bit much for that type of behavior and shouldnt be repeated, i mean occasionally is fine as long as its needed, but most of the time the officer shouldnt speak like that unless addressed about recommendations.
  • fourxgamerfourxgamer Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Not to derail or anything, but...

I find it interesting that Starfleet Dental & co. were promoting their increased operations
    in west Africa, specifically Abidjan (Ivory Coast) and Lagos (Nigeria) just prior to an outbreak of Ebola.

You still have that image you can share with the good people of the fora? I've misplaced it.

Maybe we should be talking about that instead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urglg3WimHA
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My usual habit with Boffs is abusing the randomise option for the face and body, and refining it once I find an option I like. About the only time consuming thing is getting everyone in the same uniform.

That uniform load/save feature is not all that reliable, so it's easier to just go through every Boff manually.

I'd be happy with a compromise - something exactly like Flores or K'Gan but give them a voice and a bit of back story interweaved with the tutorial and first few missions. Don't base all the script around them, just give them enough spotlight to gain an identity.
    edited August 2014
    well i dont mind flores although i always adjust the shoulders and her face the first chance open to me. and k'gan as ever is anonymous. if there was to be an officer, they would have to impressive enough to keep around, but not to the point of annoyance.
  • ktyrrellktyrrell Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ...boffs that communicate with us as we play?
    Let's do that! Give us a new option in the Character Creator to choose their voice and via Department Heads the system will choose who talks to us :P
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Perhaps some of us like agonizing over names, races, and looks. All of my toons (4 fed, 2 Klingon, 2 Romulan) each have completely different crews (with unique looks, names, and uniforms).

The devs just got done gutting the game with 9.5, and now you want more options removed?

on my fed main every boff and my captain are based on both looks and names on OLD table top RPG characters we had back when DS9 was still on the air. so is my mains fed's ship a Galaxy-class the USS Victoria (even though now it's a venture/galaxy-x hybrid)

if i was forced to keep what ever boffs i got with limited customization it would of been impossible for me to do that and kill some of the fun. i actually wish there was a bit more races as well like a true photonic race that is customization
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Awful suggestion. A game like STO thrives on detail and immersion. I know loads of people love the thrill of making their own crew, right down to bios. If you don't, just accept whatever random BOFF is assigned to you and you'll be fine.