What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Development of this game has been either great or epic fail

Comments

• Options
    ereiidereiid Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Sometimes a little hyperbole is required to garner attention.

Nice to see it's working so far!

Maybe if you're:

1) On a Junior High Debate Team

2) A Kardashian

Feel free to pick whichever you are. I'm not sure which is more distasteful.
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ereiid wrote:
    Kardashian

It's Cardassian. Spell it right. :P
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    rynotheking14rynotheking14 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ereiid wrote: »
    Maybe if you're:

1) On a Junior High Debate Team

2) A Kardashian

Feel free to pick whichever you are. I'm not sure which is more distasteful.
    Hyperbole has been used throughout history to critical success many more times than those two.

In fact, I would argue that your reply was a hyperbole.
  • Options
    pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Looking at the forums and replies to this thread, I'd say its not just me...

Its general paranoia, and you are fueling it.

1 - Its Cool To Hate. Its a lot easier to spew vitriolic bile then it is to support something, ever since the television marriage of canned laughter and personal insults.

2 - the people who are enjoying the game and are excited about the future are too busy Playing The Game, and acually contributing to the quality of life in the game to come here and shop your tinfoil hat yard sale.
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've said it before. I'll say it again; This game has so much potential when certain developers aren't being [Redacted] by decisions made by their superiors.

How often do you see people here being critical of CrypticCat, Borticus, JamJamz, Kestrel, Tacofangs and to a degree, Smirk and Trendy? Practically never. Most of the time they only ever get praised for their work - and rightly so. Most of the issues with the game at the minute, at least as far as the players are concerned, can likely be traced back to someone with a Managerial position going "Hey, we could monetize this!"
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    pulserazor wrote: »
    Its general paranoia, and you are fueling it.

1 - Its Cool To Hate. Its a lot easier to spew vitriolic bile then it is to support something, ever since the television marriage of canned laughter and personal insults.

2 - the people who are enjoying the game and are excited about the future are too busy Playing The Game, and acually contributing to the quality of life in the game to come here and shop your tinfoil hat yard sale.
    First off, this thread is not the first of its kind so I am definetly not fueling it.

Secondly, I would argue that everyone who posted here enjoys and cares about this game enough to post on this forum.

My question to you is, do you enjoy the game? After all you are posting here.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited August 2014
    Just to clarify, this was not mean't as an attack, but instead constructive criticism. Sorry to anyone if it is read otherwise.

Then edit your preface and title.

I enjoy the game. Yes, it's got room for improvement and by 'improvement' I don't mean deleting whole aspects of the game.

Cryptic continues to have a marketing deficiency: communication with your clients. Regardless of whether it's free to play or not, if you don't engage them with what your plans are, they tend to obsess over details and misinformation.

40+ blog posts from devs are coming. So we'll see ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Then edit your preface and title.

I enjoy the game. Yes, it's got room for improvement and by 'improvement' I don't mean deleting whole aspects of the game.

Cryptic continues to have a marketing deficiency: communication with your clients. Regardless of whether it's free to play or not, if you don't engage them with what your plans are, they tend to obsess over details and misinformation.

40+ blog posts from devs are coming. So we'll see ;)
    Done. For some reason the edited title is not showing up on the forum, only once you open the thread.
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Too much panic and angst, not enough patience.
    RE: expII:
    If all the dooooom turns out to be true come the actual release or more solid information then fine, ill get me a pitchfork with you guys. But for the now Im not going to worry my brain or make myself look silly by speculating or guessing or throwing my hands up in despair over information I have not yet received.
    RE: Development and bug fixes:
    As so many people have mentioned devs do listen, and they do fix bugs, might just not be on our timescale or financially viable at the time though, (I STILL have a roster bug in my main fleet where I cannot promote or demote any Fleet Admirals, after 10months and many reports and requests for a fix or a response). This drives me nuts. Do I attack them for it? no. As I know my problem can be nowhere near the top of the priority list.
    Unfortunately there are many moles to whack and not many hammers. But I have faith.
    The endless negativity stands to serve no good at this point.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    adverbero wrote: »
    You know what, I'm getting sick and tired of certain players in the community throwing tantrums when they don't get their way

Its getting pathetic, At some point the line has to be drawn between legitimate criticism and embittered ranting.

( I'm not just referring to recent expansions here, This is just the general state of the community when looking at the forums , The rampant lack of respect is not conducive to a healthy recourse between players or developers, Abusing a state of anonymity in order to post disrespectful and aggressive responses is childish )

So please don't complain about anything and just accept it! It's abusive and disrespectful to complain. Cryptic and PWE know what they are doing!

The rest of us players are just here to mindlessly grind and don't really care about what Star Trek is or what it stands for. We just want pretty ships, pretty uniforms and to vape everything that we see in the game.

Besides, Star Trek Online is owned by Cryptic and PWE. It's their product and if they want to continually TRIBBLE off their customers and potentially drive them away, (the ones that care anyways,) IT'S THEIR RIGHT.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    sirokk wrote: »
    Besides, Star Trek Online is owned by Cryptic and PWE. It's their product and if they want to continually TRIBBLE off their customers and potentially drive them away, (the ones that care anyways,) IT'S THEIR RIGHT.

It's more that what's been on the boards the past couple of days is just non-constructive drivel.

If there are legitimate concerns, bugs to report, questions of balance - sure we'll talk about them.

But in the absence of more detail, it's just hairy speculation - and therefore meaningless, at least at present.

Hell, at least a few of these threads are based more around trying to wring out more information, that frankly - I just don't think Cryptic is in a position to reveal yet because they haven't gotten it worked out yet.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    It's more that what's been on the boards the past couple of days is just non-constructive drivel.

If there are legitimate concerns, bugs to report, questions of balance - sure we'll talk about them.

But in the absence of more detail, it's just hairy speculation - and therefore meaningless, at least at present.

Hell, at least a few of these threads are based more around trying to wring out more information, that frankly - I just don't think Cryptic is in a position to reveal yet because they haven't gotten it worked out yet.
    I agree with what you said.

However, if they haven't gotten it worked out yet that is their problem. You can't fault people for being curious.
  • Options
    solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    pulserazor wrote: »
    $ deep into Sto. - easily $2,000+

reason is simple - Im not an idiot.

Lol. I laughed at the Irony.
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Again, teaser, something this forum populace fails to understand.

Ah, no. We understood the LoR teasers just fine.

It's the current PR crew who obviously lacks understanding of the teaser concept.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I would like to say people that people only epically fail when it comes to using the word epic in a sentence with failure, but than this sentence would probably also be a failure.

The main problem with expansion 2 is that the stuff in Las Vegas has not be accompanied with releases of dev blogs or similar material on the forums, and in fact the devs active on the forums still can't tell us anything. I think that is poor marketing. Not epic fail, just poor.

In the end, however, it doesn't really matter much for the quality of development. The expansion will not be judged based on the timing of dev blogs, but on its content. The content looks interesting so far...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There's a reason why Cryptic is Cryptic and not on the level of Blizzard, ArenaNet, Bioware, Funcom, Turbine etc. Cryptic is Peanuts in the world of MMO development. Even Neverwinter is considered pretty TRIBBLE, just newer TRIBBLE with better graphics. And having a Chinese parent company like PWE is probably as bad as it gets. The Chinese are not known for their ethics or integrity.

They're niche at best so maybe if everyone lowered their expectations really really low no one would get upset or disappointed. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I agree with what you said.

However, if they haven't gotten it worked out yet that is their problem. You can't fault people for being curious.

For being curious?

That's not what's been on the forums these past few days.

It's been entitlement - demanding more details, and deriding Cryptic for not providing them immediately.

That is, after all, the title of this very thread.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    There's a reason why Cryptic is Cryptic and not on the level of Blizzard, ArenaNet, Bioware, Funcom, Turbine etc. Cryptic is Peanuts in the world of MMO development. Even Neverwinter is considered pretty TRIBBLE, just newer TRIBBLE with better graphics. And having a Chinese parent company like PWE is probably as bad as it gets. The Chinese are not known for their ethics or integrity.

They're niche at best so maybe if everyone lowered their expectations really really low no one would get upset or disappointed. :)

I mean, Blizzard entered the MMO market with some pretty well-established credentials in gaming. Having toured the Blizz campus a couple of years back, it's clearly a pretty well-oiled machine.

Cryptic went straight into the deep-end with CoH, and managed to pull some surprisingly high accolades for being a first-time developer, much less for an MMO.

With the fundamental, tectonic changes that have been happening in the industry the past several years - I don't know how anyone could pull that off now, with little more than shoestring and gilded optimism.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited August 2014
    There's nothing wrong with spending money on this game. There are many other addictions that are more dangerous, with fewer enjoyable moments;)
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The Chinese are not known for their ethics or integrity.
    This is extraordinarily racist and if you had any of said ethics or integrity you'd feel like **** for what you just wrote.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    For being curious?

That's not what's been on the forums these past few days.

It's been entitlement - demanding more details, and deriding Cryptic for not providing them immediately.

That is, after all, the title of this very thread.

I don't think that's anything close to being a fair description of my position.

Season 9.5 was announced via twitter.

It was not a shining example of how to do the PR rollout for a half season.

And, at the time, even Smirk half admitted as much.

At one point mentioning that his work preparing for STLV may have been a minor distraction.

So, to STLV.

And have our CMs been allowed to do their work?

Have the mistakes of 9.5 been learned from?

Well, no.

Indeed, go look at the dev tracker.

How many times have our CMs been allowed to post on the fora since STLV started?

Whether X2 is the best thing since sliced bread, or whether its a total lemon, is simply not the issue atm.

As many have said, we don't know.

But what is really very clear is that the PR around X2s release has been utterly awol.

You can be coding the best game in the world, but if your PR department is not able to perform nobody will hear about it.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Spending 2K + on a video game? Yikes man.

That is cheap compared to what some people have spent on pointless Star Trek merchandise. Also, $2000 is cheap compared to what some people have spent for virtual items. If people have the money to spend on virtual items, then they should be able to buy whatever they want even if the rest of us question their sanity. As long as it is not cutting into their food budget and rent, then having a video game addiction is far less harmful and costly than other addictions.
  • Options
    pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    solomace wrote: »
    Lol. I laughed at the Irony.

Touche, but... its called 'disposable income' for a reason.
  • Options
    gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    walshicus wrote: »
    This is extraordinarily racist and if you had any of said ethics or integrity you'd feel like **** for what you just wrote.

It's not racist bro. It's a fact. Read a newspaper lately? Chinese industry and business runs with little to no regulation. As long as the bribes are paid. And I'll never feel like *** for speaking the truth.

Chinese culture is rife with corruption at every level. My wife's Chinese and she would not take any offense to what I said. She's from China, only been in the country for two years.
    Here parents had to bribe and give gifts to her Elementary school teacher so that she would receive instruction and NOT BE KICKED. Hear that? Kicked. They had to pay off the teacher so he wouldn't physically abuse an eight year old girl. And even then she was still abused.

Stabbings in hospitals in China are commonplace now because people are so fed up with the corruption. You want a life saving operation? You have to bribe everyone from the nurse, to the doctor, to the aneastheisiologist or you will not get your operation. If you don't have health insurance and cannot afford to pay IN CASH right then you will be left to die.
    So don't tell me i'm racist when I'm stating a fact. You have no idea what you're talking about.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    After finally hearing the podcast someone kindly posted the link. I'm looking forward to the expansion. And to see what it coming. We are only seeing the "Southern" part of the Delta Quadrant, so there will be much more to see yet. And there is a lot of fun stuff to come from what I read and heard.

Only thing I say they are failing on is getting the info and word out. As of yet nothing posted, not even a link for the podcast. Where before they would list it on the home page. I noticed the latest lockbox all the info didn't come out until like a day before. Where before, you would knew about it for almost a week. Which gave me time to fully read and come up with a plan on what stuff to buy from them.

So far the game is really good and loving it. They just need to get the info out better. Even after the weekend of R&D points boost. I got to almost lv5 on my first school. So even now I'm feeling better with R&D.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Just to clarify, this was not mean't as an attack, but instead constructive criticism. Sorry to anyone if it is read otherwise.

Well, the thread title is an all-out attack. I'm not sure how it can be read as otherwise.
  • Options
    pompoulusspompouluss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's not racist bro. It's a fact. Read a newspaper lately? Chinese industry and business runs with little to no regulation. As long as the bribes are paid. And I'll never feel like *** for speaking the truth.

Chinese culture is rife with corruption at every level. My wife's Chinese and she would not take any offense to what I said. She's from China, only been in the country for two years.
    Here parents had to bribe and give gifts to her Elementary school teacher so that she would receive instruction and NOT BE KICKED. Hear that? Kicked. They had to pay off the teacher so he wouldn't physically abuse an eight year old girl. And even then she was still abused.

Stabbings in hospitals in China are commonplace now because people are so fed up with the corruption. You want a life saving operation? You have to bribe everyone from the nurse, to the doctor, to the aneastheisiologist or you will not get your operation. If you don't have health insurance and cannot afford to pay IN CASH right then you will be left to die.
    So don't tell me i'm racist when I'm stating a fact. You have no idea what you're talking about.

The statement was racist. This is not really the setting to explain at length why and how, but it absolutely was.
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's not racist bro. It's a fact.

Oh come the **** on. What you posted was racist, plain and simple.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
This discussion has been closed.