test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Motivation's nerf.

ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
edited August 2014 in PvP Gameplay
[*]Motivation:
  • Team wide Critical Chance bonus removed and replaced with Team wide Damage Bonus.
    ~18% @ lvl 50, improved by Squad Command.
  • Heal on Crit changed to Heal on Hit.
    Amount of Healing per hit reduced by ~40%

It got hit big time. Some semblance of balance came back.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
Post edited by ashkrik23 on

Comments

• Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    you got to wonder how this made it live. and how many times they can launch something that over the top, and recall it for a fix, before someone is held accountable
  • Options
    simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    you got to wonder how this made it live. and how many times they can launch something that over the top, and recall it for a fix, before someone is held accountable

I have an idea how things like this make it live. It is just like the ambush doffs with the DOT. Someone at Cryptic is a very bad tac and needs this help. I also think this is the reason for power creep. It seems everything that is broken or over powered is always something to do with a tac.
    320x240.jpg
  • Options
    nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Its a good fix despite all the whining on the tribble forum. A nice damage boost for the team a la strike team, healing on attack which rewards being in combat. They haven't mentioned if the damage boost stacks across multiple copies though.
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Overpowered == money.

if(money >= investment && management === `happy`)
    {
    fix(motivational.degraded.opness)
    dev.ignore( array(whine, cries, questions))
    }
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I agree, it needed the nerf. I wasn't over the moon about it, but it really was OP.
    You have to admit though, it was a lot of fun while it lasted and it's still a decent power anyway. :D
    I need a beer.

• Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The CTRH bonus was the whole purpose behind using this skill, and now they are nerfing it beyond belief, after already restricting it prior.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Not nerving the crth, removing it completely !!!
    It was again a Bait-and-switch, the only thing it have now from what i paid money for is that its a tac ability, everthing else they changed.
    I can't believe they srewed me over again...
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    whoa whoa whoa, another nerf for it?! bloody hell.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    bones1970 wrote: »
    Not nerving the crth, removing it completely !!!
    It was again a Bait-and-switch, the only thing it have now from what i paid money for is that its a tac ability, everthing else they changed.
    I can't believe they srewed me over again...

Yeah complete waste of a tac skill really now, heck they already limited rally cry, to just 2 being able to be stacked together at any given moment, and now this horrid nerf.

If they were so concerned about team CRTH boosting, than make the damn skill only apply to the captain only, not completely dump the CRTH all together along with a 40% nerf to the healing as well.

Or, make it so only 1 can be applied to team at any given moment, and reduce CRTH gain to say a +30-40%, instead of the current.

• Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It is a good change. Now the Adrenal hypo also could use a nerf and lets not talk about the Tr-128 that its worst than Motivation even before the first nerf!

GPVP queues are dead now, it went for really active to dead in S9.5.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I hope this trend continues -- in the sense of broken stuff getting fixed.

Although the trend I'd like to see is not releasing broken stuff to begin with.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tk79 wrote: »
    I hope this trend continues -- in the sense of broken stuff getting fixed.

Although the trend I'd like to see is not releasing broken stuff to begin with.

They've never pre-tested lockbox junk iirc, and it's not surprising. They are going for the quick impulse splurge someone might make to buy a certain thing. Trend will most likely continue and it's ok really. They're here to make money and if people want to drop $$ to get something that's their choice. It's cryptic's game and they can change it how they wish, when they wish and that's something people need to consider before they drop $$ for something as blatantly broken OP as motivation was.

I personally spent no real money on the xindi lockbox. If someone did and they angry about not having there 100% crit I-win button anymore, well thems the breaks. If anyone needed that to get through "elite" content this game has then they seriously need to learn to play. Players are overpowered compared to any NPCs even if they are not built for ground at all.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    nulonu wrote: »
    They've never pre-tested lockbox junk iirc, and it's not surprising. They are going for the quick impulse splurge someone might make to buy a certain thing. Trend will most likely continue and it's ok really. They're here to make money and if people want to drop $$ to get something that's their choice. It's cryptic's game and they can change it how they wish, when they wish and that's something people need to consider before they drop $$ for something as blatantly broken OP as motivation was.

I personally spent no real money on the xindi lockbox. If someone did and they angry about not having there 100% crit I-win button anymore, well thems the breaks. If anyone needed that to get through "elite" content this game has then they seriously need to learn to play. Players are overpowered compared to any NPCs even if they are not built for ground at all.

Well, considering even with a 48% DR, and elite tac drone can suck away 80% of my life, and 100% of my psg in 1 shot, I would say they are on par with pc's.

Greatest sham as usual by DEv's, create X item, wait till sales skyrocket, than nerf it with the intent to promote better game balance, I mean simple logic would have told them it was going to be an OP, and highly sought after ability, yet instead of a more reasonable ability from the get go, no they decide to play the trump card, and than nerf it to utter TRIBBLE.

It never needed actual testing, they accomplished their goal, that is only to make a quick sale.

• Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well, considering even with a 48% DR, and elite tac drone can suck away 80% of my life, and 100% of my psg in 1 shot, I would say they are on par with pc's.

One hypo and you are back to 100%. Can NPCs do that? No.. then dont came here and tell us that players are not op againts NPCs!

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Damn, back down to only a 60% chance for me to oneshot elite tactical drones.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    One hypo and you are back to 100%. Can NPCs do that? No.. then dont came here and tell us that players are not op againts NPCs!

One shot from a weak enemy before that hypos is used, and well guess what you are incapacitated.

Give the npc's the ability to use a hypo, and than see who is triumphant!

Also hypos do not restore your psg.

• Options
    cepholapoidcepholapoid Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I am slightly disappointed with a second nerd to the power, my tacs where actually good on ground for once compared to my scis and engis. Hope they atleast bring it back to its old uptime so it's semi useful, although I rather see a flat crtH % that can't be buffed by skills.
    cI5XEZr.jpg
  • Options
    janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    One shot from a weak enemy before that hypos is used, and well guess what you are incapacitated.
    Ought we really to return to a complaints about "op" npc? If something one shotting you it is a problem on your end.

In-game handle @Janetza
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    guriphu wrote: »
    Damn, back down to only a 60% chance for me to oneshot elite tactical drones.

I wonder what you're doing to be able to one shot an elite? In an elite stf and not a normal stf, I assume?
    I need a beer.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I wonder what you're doing to be able to one shot an elite? In an elite stf and not a normal stf, I assume?

buffed exploit attack nets high damage results, but as for the more nominal 60% CRTH after they nerf motivation, not sure where it will come from.

• Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=18440971&postcount=100

Bort posted more changes coming to motivation.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »

Eh, yeah, that will certainly make Motivation highly desirable. Honestly all Cryptic had to do at the start was pull the Critical bonus, they could have kept every other aspect of the ability as is without a problem. The changes BorticusCryptic plans to make will provide tactical officers with quite a useful healing ability.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Lol, Motivation was certainly powerful. I almost took down the boss from IGE by myself (team had died) and two manned the Big Dig for an accolade run for myself. Seeing all those crits on screen was fun while it lasted.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Eh, yeah, that will certainly make Motivation highly desirable. Honestly all Cryptic had to do at the start was pull the Critical bonus, they could have kept every other aspect of the ability as is without a problem. The changes BorticusCryptic plans to make will provide tactical officers with quite a useful healing ability.

Yeah, biggest load of tribble dung, if I ever heard.

That skill could be seen from space, as to how OP in design from the start, now after making plenty of sales all around (Cryptic, and player's), it is time to nerf it, and not just nerf it to balanced, but nerf it to utter waste of space.

The newly depicted heal is utter garbage, and offers no real use that a simple hypo + doff cannot fix.

• Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    I understand their reasoning when talking about it. Remember that the devs are far from all seeing- and in a lot of places design top down. What does that mean? It means they take a specific goal, and design elements to make that goal happen.

This isn't a bad way of doing things, but all top down, all the time, can mean that it becomes really easy to overlook stuff that seems really obvious to us.

for example, Motivation was created, specifically, with the goal of 'provide big heals on big crits'. But ground tends not to crit for very big, and their main target consumers- PvE players- tend not to spec for crits on the ground, mainly because there's almost no reason to.

So they're sitting around testing this proto-trait and going "Average players don't crit often enough to trigger this at all, let alone to trigger it for big heals", so they figure they can raise crit chance on it a fair bit, to make sure it procs regularly. "When a player crits now, it'll be awesome! Big numbers, big heals, we've hit our design goal!"

And that's the limit of the initial work. It's not malice of bait and switch, remember that the devs are in no way connected to the marketing department, their pay doesn't suffer or benefit from poor sales. Their resources may, insofar as a percentage of made money goes to expanding the devteam, but that's not something they directly influence, nor should they.

But there's more. The devs generally don't think of pvp, or even of lopsided pve when making traits. They still, repeatedly and erroneously, believe that the average ground party will be at least one tac, one sci, one engineer, and then two randomly selected players of those three. So they're looking and balancing these numbers so, at 'worst' it's going to be reasonable balanced for their design goal, but not so much as to render the team totally invincible.

The barest glimmer of the concept of an all tac team is not something that occurs to them at all. So they put the change live, and of course there's no early testing or leakage onto tribble, which means no external testing- and we know that QA is almost totally worthless for exposing these sorts of bad interactions.

So it goes live, pvpers immediately realize that it can be used to boost crit to 100%- that crit isn't capped so they can make every hit a crit with multiple copies. This is not something the devs thought of even initially, because they were designing to a specific goal- big crits = big heals. BECAUSE that was their goal, any solution couldn't remove any part of that functionality. Big crits and big heals were both required, even when putting out their initial fix to eliminate stacking, because those were the initial design goal.

It's a sort of... designer tunnel vision that often pops up, and is very common in top down design- because once you've achieved that goal, you don't really feel the need to re-achieve it a different way. Instead you try and fix it without changing too much, because you've already achieved it.

This new fix feels like they approached it from the bottom up- and the timing feels very much like the first fix was the emergency one, and this is the more proper one after they'd had some time to think. Bottom up design involves taking the very base components that make something up, piecing them together until you have something interesting, and repeating with progressively larger pieces. It very much favours more options over less, and can often get you very interesting places. The main difficulty it suffers from is lack of direction.

Consider when you were a kid, playing with lego- when you got a new lego model, following the instructions to build it. Often the instructions seemed pretty nonsensical until the model started taking shape. If you were building that model yourself from scratch you might have built it in a different order, but you have to follow the listed order to get the listed result. Top down design is very much like that.

Bottom up design is when you're sitting with a giant barrel of lego, and start building with only a vaguely defined goal in mind- and maybe you get there, or maybe you get something completely different that's still really cool. It might take longer than building by instructions, but you aren't as limited as building by instructions either.

This latest fix feels like that. Like rather than reading their design goal to the letter, they instead took a more vague goal that dropped the 'big giant huge' part and just went to the base equation. Players with the trait deal damage, and heal. No big crits, no big hits, no big heals. Just the base pieces of 'damage' and 'heal'.

They took those parts and put them together, figuring out the exact way they would lock together- rather like the lego bits- so that you'd have a trait that does what they wanted it to do in the first place- what it DID do in the first place, broadly, but that doesn't have all the problems of their earlier version, because they built it out of the components, and so the way those components interacted with other components was much more obvious.
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As fun as it was to be OP with Motivation, I am honestly and without any joking curious as to how well this will work tomorrow after the patch.

Particularly how much healing and a damage boost it will be, as it is after all still team-wide.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    jjdezjjdez Member Posts: 570 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Just wait, I sense a nerf coming to the TR-116B as well. Ground ESTFs with two or three people using them are becoming just as mindless as space ESTFs. Unless of course that was craptics goal in the first place.

STO PvE! Apply spacebar directly to forehead!
  • Options
    alejogalejog Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jjdez wrote: »
    Just wait, I sense a nerf coming to the TR-116B as well. Ground ESTFs with two or three people using them are becoming just as mindless as space ESTFs. Unless of course that was craptics goal in the first place.

STO PvE! Apply spacebar directly to forehead!

Shhhhh! Dez! Stop respecting that quote, as true at it may be. Critic might just rip us off it and make it their new advertising tag line!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]-32nd Vipers- PvP Team

Nothing is impossible to him who would try.... except getting cryptic to care about pvp.
  • Options
    jjdezjjdez Member Posts: 570 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    alejog wrote: »
    Shhhhh! Dez! Stop respecting that quote, as true at it may be. Critic might just rip us off it and make it their new advertising tag line!

Haha, I've been toying with the idea of putting it in my signature. If I do, do you want the quote?
  • Options
    loverofwarsloverofwars Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It is a good change. Now the Adrenal hypo also could use a nerf and lets not talk about the Tr-128 that its worst than Motivation even before the first nerf!

GPVP queues are dead now, it went for really active to dead in S9.5.

tr-116b, how is the tr-116b doing in the queues now? currently i've found the "troll levels" in pvp too high a couple others as well so we simply aren't bothering to queue mostly to shoot and forget weapons, and desperation of certain teams trying to do anything to win, what sense of fun, also quite busy with crafting atm.

I'll admit i have supplied alot of tr116bs to the ground pvp community, also completely free ones as well simply using the item they provide to craft it 20 hours later one tr116b, i have in all honesty supplied many friends and non friends hehe i've supplied to nice and evol shall we say its all a bit of fun fair play :) cant afford tr116b? go grind and craft components from pve then come to me :)

oh fair warning depending on my mood i may tease you for 15 mins making you think i stole your stuffz :-D i love to be entertained :p and i do love a good tease