test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Problem with RAM and STO

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hello Community,

a friend from me has get a new 8 GB ram in her pc and now she has the problem, that STO always crash with this error:

Fatal error:Memory inconsistency #1 detected. Most likely cause is bad RAM

She tells me that sto is the only game, where she has this problem. So can someone report the same mistake and find a solution for this problem.

She has reinstall STO today and the error still continues. I hope for you help.

Greetings

Jack
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    That is not a STO problem, is most likely that is his hardware.
    She tells me that sto is the only game, where she has this problem. So can someone report the same mistake and find a solution for this problem. k

That assumption is not correct, she may have tons of memory errors during the normal use of the computer, and don't be aware of it. Memory errors are only visibile under certain circumstances (programs crashes, corrupted downloads, etc..)

He need to check his memory using memtest86. The ram can be faulty, or have incompatibility problems with the motherboard, or just be bad installed (timings, voltages, etc)

memtest86: http://www.memtest.org/ is the best way for know if there is some problem with the sticks. In order to use memtest she need to burn into a CD/DVD (using the .iso image), or just make a booteable pendrive using the usbkey installer.

Memtest take around 20-40mins, depends of the computer and the amount of memory. If she sees any error (marked on red), she have two options: 1) return the memory to the vendor 2) try to fix the errors changing the BIOS settings (set the voltage, timmins and frecuency to manual, for start..)
  • projectdv2projectdv2 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm getting this error, too. Haven't played the game in a while, so it had to patch, and then upon launching, I sit through about a third of the Cryptic loading screen, then it comes crashing down and throws me the error. Over and over. Never used to do it, no other memory-intensive game or application is having issues, no corrupt files, haven't touched the RAM in ages. Already ran Memtest and the RAM checks out just fine, as I figured it would. I ran into this problem before with STO, but it was, like, two years ago, so I don't remember how I corrected it. Seriously bummed out right now.
  • ridddickxxxridddickxxx Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Is that message from windows popup error or STO?

If you have more then one module of RAM, try to remove one or the other module, or swap places.
    2nhfgxf.jpg