test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do the devs actually play their own game?

Comments

• Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Perhaps. I don't remember offhand. But that's just the thing. Any random player you meet in game COULD be a Dev.

Well, just as long as you know that (a) I f*cking LOVE new ESD and the Dyson Sphere, and (b) I and everybody else I know crave more in the same vein for expansion 2, then I'm happy.

Are you going to STLV, or just taking a couple of well-deserved off days to relax?
  • Options
    crypticttccrypticttc Member Posts: 30 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    Yes.

/10char
    Star Trek Online - Starship Artist, former UI Artist
    @Cryptic_TTC on Twitter
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,377 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ...if something isn't enjoyable for you guys, how can it be considered to be so for the rest of us?
    If the grocer you go to doesn't like papaya, how can you be expected to?

Tastes differ. Some folks are just wild for aspects of this game that leave me cold. I love some things that some folks would just as soon see deleted, to leave more time for the stuff they love. Taco doesn't care for PvP; that doesn't mean he's not going to do his best if asked to produce PvP-specific art assets (whatever those might be), because he's a professional, and he's good at his job.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Perhaps. I don't remember offhand. But that's just the thing. Any random player you meet in game COULD be a Dev.

Can we have a series of McCarthy-esque trials in-game to find out what players are devs, or dev-supporters? :P
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for the answers so far. The thing is I don't want to know who is a dev or not and I can fully understand why, if you play the game, want to do it incognito. The reason I asked is that there are clearly aspects of the game that don't seem to have recieved much consideration on numerous levels of the game and maybe some of these things just go unnoticed if this game is only work and only seen on closed test servers.

It would just "feel" better if I knew that the devs log in the game and sometimes do think to themselves "this just isn't right" because, honestly, official dev statements are, naturally, so much glitter sprinkled ads you just have to think "no, that's not how it works under "real" conditions".
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    rast1qqrast1qq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Private accounts so we can ACTUALLY play. If I show my face anywhere on my dev account, I get swamped with tells and inquiries, etc. It's not about being scared, it's about being able to play.

No idea about PVP. I am a Care Bear.

When people see DEV on some chat it's like see GOD....And you get swamped with tells and inquiries because u are only ONE dev who is on chats, that's problem....and that tells are our ideas how to make game better.....;)
    FaW+DEM+AtB in pvp = High score , no skill.
    PVP 2014 - Fawn00bs,Vapers and leavers...
  • Options
    crypticttccrypticttc Member Posts: 30 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    It would just "feel" better if I knew that the devs log in the game and sometimes do think to themselves "this just isn't right" because, honestly, official dev statements are, naturally, so much glitter sprinkled ads you just have to think "no, that's not how it works under "real" conditions".

Sure, there are things we see as we play the game that we file away as areas we might want to look at and improve upon at some point. But unfortunately we can't just snap our fingers and automatically update everything all at once. We have to make time to execute those improvements, so it's a long process that continues to happen as the game matures.
    Star Trek Online - Starship Artist, former UI Artist
    @Cryptic_TTC on Twitter
  • Options
    senshibat01senshibat01 Member Posts: 11,256 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Dear Taco. .was a great one to see in Champions.. but they were so very busy helping craft and otherwise Design Canadian area Content ..they did not have the pleasure of touring the "Desert of "Project GreenSkin"

IT was out great pleasue to help them as a tour guide and playdate as"JAde RAbbit"
    A group of Beta testers would meet on a set day of the week in a group and assist with a fun romp of the incidences.. get stomped on by the "Grond" and otherwise be empericaly silly.
    [please forgive the translator spellcheck beign off line]
    e81d2f2c7ce74e61cba28154fcac4cc2.jpg
    Tsuki ni Kawatte Oshioki Yo
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »

If you think that somehow, everyone on the Dev team agrees with each other at all times, and that everyone thinks that everything we put out is gold, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Yes, we play the game. And no, we don't always like everything about it. When we see something we dislike, we go into work the next day, and discuss it with the people responsible for the thing.

Edit: Also what Thomas said. Even when we do find things we don't like, and bring them up at work, that doesn't mean that they'll be changed. (Note that Listening to feedback does not mean Action upon said feedback, even on the Dev team) And if it does get changed, it is not instantaneous. Everything takes time.

rast1qq wrote: »
    When people see DEV on some chat it's like see GOD....And you get swamped with tells and inquiries because u are only ONE dev who is on chats, that's problem....and that tells are our ideas how to make game better.....;)

I've said it before, but any time I show up in game in my public Dev tag, I feel like a Mall Santa. Everyone wants to tell me all of the things they want for Christmas, and I have no power to deliver any of them.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If you think that somehow, everyone on the Dev team agrees with each other at all times, and that everyone thinks that everything we put out is gold, I've got a bridge to sell you

Yes, we play the game. And no, we don't always like everything about it. When we see something we dislike, we go into work the next day, and discuss it with the people responsible for the thing.

I know I don't always agree with you, but I do agree with your sense of honest communication.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've said it before, but any time I show up in game in my public Dev tag, I feel like a Mall Santa. Everyone wants to tell me all of the things they want for Christmas, and I have no power to deliver any of them.

Perhaps you should add a santa chair to ESD for you to sit on when you get in game and then make everyone get in line to give you their wishes. May as well have some fun with it. I'll get to work on find you some Vulcans to function as your elves.

/Fun

On a srs note: yeah, we kinda suck like that LOL. I've been guilty of it too. Should work on it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    All devs should be forced to play Undine Assault Elite.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    TRIBBLE Santa's chair, I want Q's chair!
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Maybe you can make his chair sittable for the next Q Weekend and then park your keister in it whenever you bless ESD with your presence.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I won't be continuing on with the game, it's just not fun to me anymore. But I wanted you to know, Tacofangs, that you have always done a great job and are my favorite dev.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    I won't be continuing on with the game, it's just not fun to me anymore. But I wanted you to know, Tacofangs, that you have always done a great job and are my favorite dev.

Seriously?

That sucks. I freaking LOVE your Foundry missions.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    yeah, we kinda suck like that LOL. I've been guilty of it too. Should work on it.

I've been guilty of it too. There is room for improvement for all aspects of the game, including player feedback.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    strange we get more dev response on this unless thread, then we get on threads that have serious questions.

maybe instead of asking if they play their game we should ask, do they like their game.
    "Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    I've been guilty of it too. There is room for improvement for all aspects of the game, including player feedback.

We need to be less DOOOOOOOOOOMM and stop assuming that the Devs are stupid/insane/evil.

The Devs really need to come onto the Forums more and have conversations with the players. Tacofangs is an exceptional guy (funny, witty, friendly, I WISH I was that good of an artist), but surely the other Devs won't get completely eaten alive, especially if we players keep a lid on it and/or self-moderate?

Also, when the players say that X thing in-game sucks, the Devs need to (a) clearly explain the reason for that thing being in-game, and either (b) implement the changes requested OR (c) explain why they can't. DOFF UI disaster, I'm looking at you. (I can only hope that it gets rolled back next patch)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Can we have a series of McCarthy-esque trials in-game to find out what players are devs, or dev-supporters? :P
    Funny you should mention that... a while back some people in the Doffjobs channel tried to "out" me as a dev.... which I wish I was....
    Perhaps you should add a santa chair to ESD for you to sit on when you get in game and then make everyone get in line to give you their wishes. May as well have some fun with it. I'll get to work on find you some Vulcans to function as your elves.
    I have a Vorta who sometimes dresses like an elf. :D

On a less serious note... I want a playable Dominion faction Santa. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014

I Miss Snowflake too.. the REN CEN Santa chair was pretty nice.
    My LemonSprite was a bit too creepy to make for proper Elvish Fare
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    hajmyis wrote: »
    strange we get more dev response on this unless thread, then we get on threads that have serious questions.

Why do you think?
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    One must simply let ones hair down to embrace the Trek one should be a bit Python about the grind
    Introspecvtive of the intoto experiance its hard for them that are to look at every aspect inpartialy..

I miss Randys Canadian hockey sence in a new area ..a campy touch. I think here we could embrace the inner TRibble more and see for what Mr Nimoy said in a podcast.. "am overlooked part of Trek was its humour"
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    Why do you think?

Here are my theories:

1: The 'serious question' threads pertain to aspects of the game which the devs in this thread have little to no involvement in, and therefore are not qualified to comment.

2: The 'serious question' threads are about topics which have already been commented on, but are not part of the FCT list.

3: The 'serious question' threads aren't serious questions at all, but incoherent ranting made from people who have no comprehension on how the game works, or how game development works.

When environmental art 'serious question' threads come up, I often see Tacofangs weigh in. Because he is actually qualified to comment.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    crypticttc wrote: »
    Yes.

/10char

I regularly see TtC logged into STO via Steam. Almost every evening, it seems like. He's making the rest of us look bad. =p

I just capped out my New Romulus Reputation over the weekend. Finally!
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I just capped out my New Romulus Reputation over the weekend. Finally!

I hope you remembered not to collect the reward until dilithium bonus weekend.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So maybe one of them could explain how the [PvP Dmg] & [PvP Res] mods actually work. ;)
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    one thing is obvious: they are all feddie mains.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    voporak wrote: »

I'm very sorry to hear that. . . :/
    I hope that we can remedy whatever it is you're not liking at the moment, and you will consider giving us another shot down the line. LLAP