test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do the devs actually play their own game?

angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Ten Forward
I'm curious. Do they have private accounts which they actually play the real game with or are their in-game expereinces limited to internal test servers and "lab conditions"?

If so, I'd be curious if there are things about the game they dislike about the game. I know this is an "open" question because no dev will be allowed to voice discontent with their product. But it would help, instead of reading certain devs advertisments and self-promotion all the time when you clearly see that certain things do not work out in-game.
lFC4bt2.gif
^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
"A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
"That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    They do. I've often seen Taco playing on his private account.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    They do. I've often seen Taco playing on his private account.

This. I also know a guy who claims to know a guy who knows Tacofangs personally.

Besides. New ESD and the Dyson Sphere are like Tacofangs' wet dream --I mean, 9th Symphony. No way he doesn't play them; those maps are too f*cking beautiful not to.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Do the devs actually play their own game?

Yes/No/Maybe/Sometimes/etc.

The answer is all of the above.

Yes. We all have private accounts. (In addition to our public Dev accounts)

Some people play a lot. Some people play a little. Some don't play at all.

worffan101 wrote: »
    This. I also know a guy who claims to know a guy who knows Tacofangs personally.

Oh ya? Well, I know a whole bunch of people that know Tacofangs!
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »

Isn't it required to "play" the game during work hours to make sure that a particular feature is working properly?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Oh ya? Well, I know a whole bunch of people that know Tacofangs!

:D:D:D

Tacofangs. Dude. You should use these forums more often.

I would LOVE to see you participate in the LCs, or hop on the LC geek chat channel in-game and fly a few missions with the guys.

Also, you make me laugh. And your work is awesome.

So thank you!

Your fan,
    worffan101
  • Options
    genrldestructiongenrldestruction Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Isn't it required to "play" the game during work hours to make sure that a particular feature is working properly?

No... well, for some loose definitions of "play", maybe.
    Launch? Sure.
    Login? Sure.
    Choose A Character? Definitely.
    Move around on maps, utilize DOFFs, Engage in STFs? Maybe. But not for the sake of "playing".

There is a big difference between writing a program (or more specifically, developing the game) and using the program as intended (Namely for fun).
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As a long time modder, I can make an educated guess as to what level of testing is used in this manner. Short version: write code, open the game to see if something unexpected happened.

It's not a particulary thorough process because of time constraints. There's only so many hours in a day.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,169 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    ALWAYS a pleasure to see the Tacofangs on the fourms. :D
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    Well, I have five max level characters, got max reputations on several, generally do a few queued events every day when I'm not on vacation, even work on my own dilithium.
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    jheinig wrote: »
    Well, I have five max level characters, got max reputations on several, generally do a few queued events every day when I'm not on vacation, even work on my own dilithium.

And I'll bet that you're really looking forward to spending close to SEVEN YEARS to max out all the crafting schools. Right?
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Hey, Jesse...think Ker'rat could ever get the N'vak treatment as far as the reset aspect goes? Can't recall if a reason was given previously for it having to work differently or not.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,169 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Do the Devs all have their own fleet?
    I'm curious.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,398 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    And I'll bet that you're really looking forward to spending close to SEVEN YEARS to max out all the crafting schools. Right?
    How many levels are in each school? Because it only takes about 20 hours to level up, at least in the first few levels - scroll to the bottom of the school, select the 20-hour thing there, get a level, no problem. Then after a while, you get a second Crafting slot, so you can start doing that in another school...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    How many levels are in each school? Because it only takes about 20 hours to level up, at least in the first few levels - scroll to the bottom of the school, select the 20-hour thing there, get a level, no problem. Then after a while, you get a second Crafting slot, so you can start doing that in another school...

It's 630,000 XP to get to L15. It's 2,000,000 XP to get to L20.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think the devs only take the game seriously when it relates to their job. As in, they play the game as a game, not as a life-or-death no-fun-allowed serious business activity. Unless when they're on the job. Just because the devs aren't tailoring the game to your individual preferences doesn't mean they aren't playing.

I think a lot of us could take a lesson from it too.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited July 2014

YOU LIE!

inb4everyoneelse :P
  • Options
    commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I can vouch for a fact Jheinig plays...I have been in queued events with him before ;).
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Get that exec producer to run crafting rep every morning and post weekly progress. See how quick it ends.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Get that exec producer to run crafting rep every morning and post weekly progress. See how quick it ends.

Heh heh. Yes please.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's 630,000 XP to get to L15. It's 2,000,000 XP to get to L20.

So just over 3 months to get 3 schools to level 15. If you have 3 characters, then you can get all schools to level 15 in just over 3 months. For lots of people, there is no point to go past Level 15 since the Level 20 rewards are just traits and maybe a title.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think it's easy to tell which devs play the game and which devs don't.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Yes and no. Work hours are for work. Part of work is testing your work, and we do that to an extent. However, testing work generally means, just playing whatever mission you're working on. So it is sometimes easy to lose the forest for the trees. However, we also have QA who's job it is to test stuff. So they "play" the game much more than the rest of the devs do, during work hours.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Do the Devs all have their own fleet?
    I'm curious.

WHO TOLD YOU ABOUT OUR SECRET FLEET?!

orangeitis wrote: »
    I think the devs only take the game seriously when it relates to their job. As in, they play the game as a game, not as a life-or-death no-fun-allowed serious business activity.

I'd say this is fairly accurate.

*WARNING* PERSONAL TACOPINION INBOUND *WARNING*

Regarding STO, in all honesty, I don't play much. When I do play, it's pretty casual. I DOFF, I run some missions, but I'm not concerned with getting the best loot/gear, or getting an extra 1.2 DPS on my ship, or leveling up our fleet holdings. That's just not the kind of gamer I am in general. I'm not a numbers guy. If I can fly my ship, and feel like I'm doing damage, I'm cool with it.

I'm more explorational, I enjoy exploring the worlds of a game (note this has nothing to do with the Exploration System in STO). I like discovering new maps/regions I haven't seen before, finding my way around within them, etc. When you work on a game, especially when you make the maps, there isn't a whole lot left to explore/discover.

In addition, I generally don't much enjoy playing a game I'm working on due to the fact that when I look at it, I see work. It's not terribly relaxing when I'm constantly looking for bugs, or criticizing the art. There's also a fair bit of joy removed in simply knowing how the sausage is made.

That said, there are many STO devs who do play regularly. Though, as Orangeitis says, I think most wouldn't be described as hard-core.
  • Options
    rast1qqrast1qq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Some people play a little. Some don't play at all.
    :confused:

:confused: private accounts why? are they scared?

:confused: don't play ? dawdlers....

q: how many devs playing pvp ? :cool:
    FaW+DEM+AtB in pvp = High score , no skill.
    PVP 2014 - Fawn00bs,Vapers and leavers...
  • Options
    giotarizgiotariz Member Posts: 652 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    rast1qq wrote: »

You shouldn't have asked that... You're going to scare the Devs off, they don't know about PvP...
    Sad Pandas PvP - Starfleet Dental Member - Lag Industries Leader
    --

"What a time it was, with all the world against us, what a time it was... When all we did seemed wrong,
    we've broken all our bonds, but life kept going on, what a time, what a time it was..." - Clem Tholet
    --
    Operation Dingo 1977

• Options
    edited July 2014
    rast1qq wrote: »
    :confused:

:confused: private accounts why? are they scared?

:confused: don't play ? dawdlers....

Private accounts so we can ACTUALLY play. If I show my face anywhere on my dev account, I get swamped with tells and inquiries, etc. It's not about being scared, it's about being able to play.

No idea about PVP. I am a Care Bear.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Private accounts so we can ACTUALLY play. If I show my face anywhere on my dev account, I get swamped with tells and inquiries, etc. It's not about being scared, it's about being able to play.

Have you ever done any queues with me, Tacofangs?

I usually do Borg STFs in my Avenger or my Scimitar, but I like Undine ground as well.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Perhaps. I don't remember offhand. But that's just the thing. Any random player you meet in game COULD be a Dev.
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited July 2014

So this actually begs the question, then: how much of the stuff being put out do you guys actually consider fun and engaging content? I've asked this on Tribble and never gotten an answer but I consider it to be important for process considerations: if something isn't enjoyable for you guys, how can it be considered to be so for the rest of us?