test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Crafting system.. specifically, materials. where you you get them?

annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,608 Arc User
Since you obviously cannot scan anomalies in the clusters any longer, and only rarely run across them in missions (who really wants to re run missions to get mats?)
that leaves the doff missions scan for TRIBBLE and what else?

do the doff missions get you the rare mats? I've seen ESTFs as a source.. are they drops or anomalies to be scanned?
are they in regular stfs?
We Want Vic Fontaine
Post edited by annemarie30 on

Comments

• Options
    jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Since you obviously cannot scan anomalies in the clusters any longer, and only rarely run across them in missions (who really wants to re run missions to get mats?)
    that leaves the doff missions scan for TRIBBLE and what else?

do the doff missions get you the rare mats? I've seen ESTFs as a source.. are they drops or anomalies to be scanned?
    are they in regular stfs?

Normal PvE queues give a R&D box at the end, with a group of Common, Uncommon and Rare materials

Elite PvE queues give an Advanced R&D box, which gives a mix of Common, Uncommon, Rare (tends to be more rare in these) and a chance at VR materials
  • Options
    havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Missions still have 'data' to scan, but they're properly relabeled and animated as what you are scanning for.

The wavelength minigame is unchanged.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Doff assignments are pretty good for green and blue quality materials. And they range from 30 minutes to 3 hours. With multiple characters you could rake in decent bulk materials.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Seems to me there are a lot of mat based doff missions in sphere allied space.

At least, I always seem to get a bunch of mats when I've cycled doff missions there.

Other than that, normal and elite queued content drops boxes.

They're not bound, so they also turn up on the exchange.

I expect prices will stabilise a little lower soon, as the supply builds up.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Seems to me there are a lot of mat based doff missions in sphere allied space.

At least, I always seem to get a bunch of mats when I've cycled doff missions there.

Other than that, normal and elite queued content drops boxes.

They're not bound, so they also turn up on the exchange.

I expect prices will stabilise a little lower soon, as the supply builds up.

but to get the very rare mats, I assume that mk xii VR+ crafting requires these, are only available from ESTFs and a purchasable pack from the C-store.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    DOFF Assignments is the way to get common, uncommon and rare materials. Now, purple ones.. lol, that is a different universe... eSTFS (and most of the times you need luck) , exchange (for ridiculous prices, of course) or the c-store.. make your choice... :(
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    but to get the very rare mats, I assume that mk xii VR+ crafting requires these, are only available from ESTFs and a purchasable pack from the C-store.

From everything I have seen regarding the new rep system ... sorry I mean crafting.
    You are indeed correct.

Also, if you didn't hear Geko's answer to this very question during his interview on STOked. Just see my Sig.
  • Options
    ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited July 2014

100% correct.

The drop rates on ESTFs seems low as well. I wasn't around for it, but was this not part of why they removed the Borg tech drops and moved to the current STF/rep system?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,370 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Also, although it doesn't seem to be well-publicized, if you look at your available abilities, one of them is "Open Materials Store". That will convert any old mats you have into the new ones, in stacks of up to 100 at a time. (Since I found the old crafting pretty worthless, I had huge stacks of mats in my bank that I'd planned on selling one day. Now I've got huge stacks of the new mats! :) )
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    A quick check in my menu said 13 various VR mats for any one Mk12 item.

They are RNG'd from 'Advanced' boxes dropped from various elite queues. Try Here.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Also, although it doesn't seem to be well-publicized, if you look at your available abilities, one of them is "Open Materials Store". That will convert any old mats you have into the new ones, in stacks of up to 100 at a time. (Since I found the old crafting pretty worthless, I had huge stacks of mats in my bank that I'd planned on selling one day. Now I've got huge stacks of the new mats! :) )
    Huger even! Since the conversion of the old common and uncommon mats is 1-2. You now have twice as many rocks, etc in your cargo hold.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    well, considering I do not feel I am good enough for any elite level gameplay, and I have zero intention of paying for crafting materials that i may or may not get in the purchase, I'm officially done with the new crafting system.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    well, considering I do not feel I am good enough for any elite level gameplay, and I have zero intention of paying for crafting materials that i may or may not get in the purchase, I'm officially done with the new crafting system.
    Honestly... try it and see what happens. :) Undine Infiltration has such a small difficulty change that it's barely noticable.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Not blowing smoke up your fundament, but I've seen you post many times here and you're patently not stupid.

Therefore, given that you actually take the time to think about the game, you're plenty good enough for elite content.

Certainly better than some of the people I've been running conduit with recently.

I'd recommend having a go at CEE.

It's elite level, at least attempts to reward non-DPs play, gives a choice of nukara or fleet marks and gives a chunk of dil.

It's also ten player, so even if you don't quite keep your end up there's plenty of cover.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    It also gives Advanced Radiogenic Particle boxes now (CEE)
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I don't mind buying the vr materials for real money, but their isn't that option. Only a random chance.
    The pugging stf's option isn't an option because (unless it is infected elite ) they will fail or never pop.
    Crafting isn't for me.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I am yet to see a very rare one drop from any elite mission lol.

It seems like they only drop from those c-store boxes.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited July 2014

No one I know has gotten one drop yet..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Huger even! Since the conversion of the old common and uncommon mats is 1-2. You now have twice as many rocks, etc in your cargo hold.
    since we now have separated crafting inventory and since crafting materials now stack to 999 this wont be a probem.
  • Options
    gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    No one I know has gotten one drop yet..
    I've gotten two of them so far. Not to say I'm special, but hey, they are dropping. I agree with you guys though that we should be able to get all the materials including very rare from other activities in game not just STFs and ESTFs.
    And yes, also agree that Undine Infiltration ground Elite is easy and kinda fun since there's the non-combat aspect to it and different stages to it and objectives. Also, Crystaline Catastrophe Elite can be done fairly easily as well. Just fly around healing everyone and you'll probably get 1st place too. :)
  • Options
    kamipoikamipoi Member Posts: 365 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    heres a list of where to get each VR one seems to be missing but that could be explained for in the reason dyson elites are giving the same as borg.

Borg Space Elite:Trellium-K
    Borg Ground Elite:Plekton Particle

Undine Space Elite:Argonite Gas
    Undine Ground Elite:Dentarium

Crystalline Catastrophe Elite: Radiogenic

Dyson Space Elite: Trellium-K

again i think the dyson is supposed to put out craylon gas as this is one that i have but could not find the box to get it i got it from the 1k academy doff asignment
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've gotten 3 so far from stf and 3 good drops from 'request research help" recruiting mission.

The prices on the exchange, however, are unworkable. You will be paying between 5 and 10 million to craft an item that used to sell for 1?

The materials lootboxes need to be selling for 10-20k for this to be workable as it may take opening 20 to get what you need to craft 1 item.

The materials themselves need to go under 100,000. Otherwise there is no way to make the crafting worthwhile. Right now I'm skeptical about this. In 3 months when I'm ready to craft good stuff I will probably have all the mats I need to make a few things, but then I doubt I would make any more unless the prices come down more than tenfold.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    nscar1420nscar1420 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Where do we get components from? like focusing lens or targeting interface? Same as all the other stuff? Scanning during missions?

Why wont my "crafting tutorial reward box" open???
  • Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    nscar1420 wrote: »
    Where do we get components from? like focusing lens or targeting interface? Same as all the other stuff? Scanning during missions?

You craft components.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    nscar1420 wrote: »

Why wont my "crafting tutorial reward box" open???

You make the components.
    If you have less than 20(?) doff slots open, then the box won't open I believe.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I've had 2, both from CCE. (It's the one I run most often.)
  • Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've received my first drop that yielded VR materials yesterday (there is a chance to receive them from the advanced packages).

Pugging (Borg Space STF's and Undine Infiltration-most times a win) can be all the above (easy and or difficult, lose and win). I pug and run missions on Public Elite STF and on other channels with my torp boat. I know friendly people in my fleet, other fleets and in groups like Star Trek Battles and others who can help, provide company, and work with you in STF's if needed.

I'm certainly not OP, nor have the piloting skills to effectively ramp up my dps, and just when I think I know strategies I'm challenged by other players and strategies so I'm always learning.

Pack your heals in your bank and as others have said try CCE and Undine Infiltration to ease into it.

If you need a PUG running partner send me a PM.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The Ferengi's asteroid mine, and your fleet mine, if you have one.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    a3001 wrote: »
    The Ferengi's asteroid mine, and your fleet mine, if you have one.

oh, what do they have on there?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would prefer to see a space and ground source for each of the purple materials instead of the only space or only ground division we have now.