test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dinosaurs still exist; Steven Spielberg killed one!

flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Ten Forward
Is it possible that some people are that naive and blinded that they're oblivious to the rest of the world? Apparently so; Steven Spielberg killed a Triceratops. :rolleyes:

I just want to facepalm right now.
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
Post edited by flash525 on

Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The Triceratops would have been happily posing next to the corpse of Spielberg...if only the Triceratops had freakin' laser beams on its head!

edit: But yes, the world is getting stupider by the minute...meh.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Unfortunately, the Voth were not around in that Triceratops' time of need. :(
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    TBH, this entire thing is absurdly stupid...

In fact, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as Hercules (in movie advert beneath the article) is likely more intelligent. And a buttload more entertaining.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've actually been greatly surprised by the Rock's acting ability compared to some of his fellow wrestlers and their combined lack of acting ability...
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Of course dinosaurs are still around.

It's just that these days they're completely covered with feathers, most of them can fly, and we call them "birds".
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I've actually been greatly surprised by the Rock's acting ability compared to some of his fellow wrestlers and their combined lack of acting ability...
    Yeah, I like how he's confident enough in himself and his masculinity that he's willing to do humiliating, stupid roles like that god-awful "Tooth Fairy" movie, and he still puts his best effort into it.

And I absolutely LOVED his performance in "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island". He was hammy when necessary but not overly so, and his skill at self-effacing humor was quite the surprise.

People laugh when they hear about professional wrestlers turning to acting, but frankly, while the Rock's no Patrick Stewart, he's got decent acting chops, and he's got no qualms about doing dumb roles like certain other people do *cough* Tom Cruise *cough*.
    jonsills wrote: »

It's just that these days they're completely covered with feathers, most of them can fly, and we call them "birds".

Not that they're THAT different from most Jurassic and Cretaceous theropods...

Well, except for the fact that most are volant. But even then, Rahonavis was volant, and that was an unenlagiine dromaeosaurid...
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Yup, those moldy oldies still fly commercial! hehe

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l9lbvjOOQ41qc7qvfo1_500.jpg

http://www.fabulousfaces.com/lib/upload/lrs1659.jpg
    Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
  • Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    Is it possible that some people are that naive and blinded that they're oblivious to the rest of the world? Apparently so; Steven Spielberg killed a Triceratops. :rolleyes:

I just want to facepalm right now.

And I am suddenly reminded of Idiocracy.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    And I am suddenly reminded of Idiocracy.

After watching that, you will find examples of life imitating art on a fairly regular basis.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    How dare he murder that lovely, peaceful dino!!!!

In case you couldn't tell, I'm being ironic. ;)

Why is this planet full of morons? I want to move to Norway, or FInland. At least they have decent education...
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    How dare he murder that lovely, peaceful dino!!!!

In case you couldn't tell, I'm being ironic. ;)

Why is this planet full of morons? I want to move to Norway, or FInland. At least they have decent education...

Finland gives you a top hat and a sword if you get a PHD.

And a baby box.
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Sigh. People really need to do a few seconds of research before they fly off the hat like that. Speilburg is not a recreational hunter--he's pursuing a state-sponsored bounty. Triceratops are native to the midwest region, and are considered an invasive species within the state of California, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington State. They are known to outcompete native grazers, and their great size and large herds lead to trampling of the ground, which in turn leads to desertification.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Sigh. People really need to do a few seconds of research before they fly off the hat like that. Speilburg is not a recreational hunter--he's pursuing a state-sponsored bounty. Triceratops are native to the midwest region, and are considered an invasive species within the state of California, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington State. They are known to outcompete native grazers, and their great size and large herds lead to trampling of the ground, which in turn leads to desertification.
    And you, sir, are hereby awarded three Internets. Use them in good health.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    And you, sir, are hereby awarded three Internets. Use them in good health.

Three? Quit being stingy. That one was worth four at least.

I'm having to clean pesto sauce off of my keyboard, but it was totally worth it.
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited July 2014

What? No catch and relocation program? Even a zoo would be better than...than this. Clearly some Elmer Fudd legal-type authorized this as an excuse for he and his cronies to unleash their bloodlust. Disgusting. I hope the T-rex gets them on the next hunt.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Obviously, it is evidence of a dinosaur hunting organization that utilizes time travel to send wealthy members to the past to kill their very own dinosaur.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Bravo!

/tencharacters
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    What? No catch and relocation program? Even a zoo would be better than...than this. Clearly some Elmer Fudd legal-type authorized this as an excuse for he and his cronies to unleash their bloodlust. Disgusting. I hope the T-rex gets them on the next hunt.
    It's not that simple. Neopaleobiologists find that Triceratops are already at carrying capacity within their home range (the other side of the Rockies). There are too many on the west side to relocate without going over carrying capacity and risking widespread disease, starvation, and tops-on-tops deaths in male-male disputes. Also, their large size makes them cost-prohibitive to transport on a large scale, and there aren't enough zoos in the world to hold them all. Additionally, the wildlife agencies responsible for triceratops management are, as usual, vastly understaffed to handle such a project in addition to all the other management projects they are responsible for.

So, given a choice between 1) habitat distruction caused by triceratops in their invasive range, 2) disease and starvation in the triceratops home range, or 3) culling triceratops within their invasive range, option 3 is the least inhumane. It's not a great situation, but it's the lesser evil.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Triceratops are native to the midwest region, and are considered an invasive species within the state of Nevada...

Oh.....so that explains where all that sage brush behind my house went. Apparently it was eaten by a Triceratops.:P
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Oh.....so that explains where all that sage brush behind my house went. Apparently it was eaten by a Triceratops.:P

You know what to watch out for where triceratops have been grazing...
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    how do they get the piles so high? further study is needed
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Was the Rhino sick? His horns are coming from the forhead instead of the nose

:cool:
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited July 2014

The most absurd yet sensible paragraph ever written about Triceratops.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited July 2014

That's actually what I was expecting when I opened this thread, too...Spielberg with a quail or something. (He doesn't strike me as the quail hunting type, but still, that's how my sense of humor goes.)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I can't believe you're all being so blase about this.

Invasive or not, the fact of the matter is, the triceratops are still endangered, and as previous posters pointed out, there's no reason why he couldn't have simply relocated the beast. Instead, he shot it, and posed triumphantly for a photo next to its slain carcass. This is the exact sort of sick, murderous behaviour that is driving Earth's dinosaurs to extinction.

I mean seriously, just the other day I saw this photo of a bunch of big game hunters standing in front of a rare endangered viriousaurus they just killed. What is our world coming to?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    sander233 wrote: »

Really? I thought those big piles in my yard were termite mounds!:P
    It also explains the stench, I figured it was just my cat's litter box.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I can't believe you're all being so blase about this.

Invasive or not, the fact of the matter is, the triceratops are still endangered, and as previous posters pointed out, there's no reason why he couldn't have simply relocated the beast. Instead, he shot it, and posed triumphantly for a photo next to its slain carcass. This is the exact sort of sick, murderous behaviour that is driving Earth's dinosaurs to extinction.

I mean seriously, just the other day I saw this photo of a bunch of big game hunters standing in front of a rare endangered viriousaurus they just killed. What is our world coming to?
    See post #20:
    It's not that simple. Neopaleobiologists find that Triceratops are already at carrying capacity within their home range (the other side of the Rockies). There are too many on the west side to relocate without going over carrying capacity and risking widespread disease, starvation, and tops-on-tops deaths in male-male disputes. Also, their large size makes them cost-prohibitive to transport on a large scale, and there aren't enough zoos in the world to hold them all. Additionally, the wildlife agencies responsible for triceratops management are, as usual, vastly understaffed to handle such a project in addition to all the other management projects they are responsible for.

So, given a choice between 1) habitat distruction caused by triceratops in their invasive range, 2) disease and starvation in the triceratops home range, or 3) culling triceratops within their invasive range, option 3 is the least inhumane. It's not a great situation, but it's the lesser evil.

Additionally, triceratops was removed from the US endangered species list in 1995, following a large population rebound after the banning of DDT, which was causing eggs to have unusually brittle shells which often broke upon laying. Aside from that brief stretch of time, triceratops has not been at risk of extinction for 66 million years.

In contrast, micromicroraptor, an offshoot of the common microraptor species, is currently known only in a small region of California, and is federally listed as vulnerable to exctinction. It dwells in mid-level scrublands, and the presense of triceratops in California is resulting in desertification of the scrublands, eliminating the cover that micromicroraptors rely upon, and therefor eliminating the micromicroraptors themselves. There are other examples of triceratops threatening native dinosaurs, but this is the most direct.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Dr. Malcom wrote:
    God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys god. Man creates dinosaurs.
    Dr. Satler wrote:
    Dinosaurs... eat man. Woman inherits the Earth.
    *WTF look*

Couldn't resist this one.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)