What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why haven't Exchange prices stabilized?

Comments

• Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Let me say up front that I put STUPID amounts of REAL money into this game every month.

Attempts at puffing up one's importance by bragging about how much real money you pour into a game = Instant Thread Failure.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    No, I'm thinking having crazy prices, like at least twice what it costs to convert EC -> Contraband -> Dil.

Easier just to add EC's, as a third cost factor when purchasing fleet gear IMO.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Easier just to add EC's, as a third cost factor when purchasing fleet gear IMO.

Or add EC to the Turn in contraband mission (pay customs) hardly noticed by the average player, pretty expensve for the Dozends-of-Alt-Players (...if they use the mission as main dilithium income).
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    valenn1 wrote: »
    Or add EC to the Turn in contraband mission (pay customs) hardly noticed by the average player, pretty expensve for the Dozends-of-Alt-Players (...if they use the mission as main dilithium income).

Yeah, but you have to have some reasonable cost associated, say maybe 20-50k per event.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, but you have to have some reasonable cost associated, say maybe 20-50k per event.

My thought was 50k, but i have no insight into the game statistics (as all of us :)
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    wooliewoolwooliewool Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    noblet wrote: »
    This is what I keep hoping. But this being Cryptic, they opted to nerf loot npc value instead. The gaping ec faucet is pumping slower, but there's still no real sink for existing ec. At most, inflation slows a little.

This is worse than useless because it hurts the people who don't already have huge mountains of resources while doing nothing to bring prices down. Perhaps special T5 ships that cost in the region of 200,000,000 EC (and of course since it's a vendor purchase, the EC is destroyed rather than recirculated) might serve to contract the money supply.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I remember this time last year you could buy some Lobi store ships on the exchange for as little as 50-60 million EC ... which is a TON of money but wasn't completely outside the realm of possibility for serious farming.

Now, most lobi store ships are around 120 million EC and the lock box ships that are harder to get are 200 million or more!

I don't know what happened, but for a game that is supposed to be friendly for F2Pers, those prices are insane.

Let me say up front that I put STUPID amounts of REAL money into this game every month. When I did my taxes earlier this year I discovered I put so much into STO that I probably personally paid the salary of a junior staffer at PWE.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't have to pay for cool things in the game, but come on ... those lobi store ship prices are just CRAZY.

the prices are set by the players, not only the sellers but the buyers also, and are not controlled by the devs, if people sell lobi store ships are around 120 million EC and people pay that the high price will stay high, if every player refuses to pay this eventually the sellers will realise they are going to get stuck with items they are never going to sell unless they bring their prices down.
    its only natural for sellers to want the highest price and the buyers to want the lowest but if enough players refuse to pay outlandish prices eventually they will get lower and will only sell when they are at a rate that is acceptable to the buyers, nobody wants to get stuck with stuff they will never sell.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mosul33 wrote: »
    Lots of exploiters are using 60-70 toons to farm the "Turn in Confiscated Contraband" doff mission, gaining like 500k RAFINED dil per day, some even with the aids of a few PCs and macro programs, since they cant be detected anyway. In 16 hours they can farm 8k dil cap per toon easy.

Evidence? Or are you just inferring that's how the EC-for-cash sellers work? (Credible, I'm just wondering).
    This is a seroius exploit, no diferent then the foundry clickies imo.
    How is this not an exploit in dev's eyes when a normal person that actually plays the game's content, even on 2-3 toons, will gain 16k or 24k rafined dil, while these exploiters can make half of mil rafined dil per day? :eek:
    I mean, this is a slap in the face of the ppl who buy zen aswell.

See, this I can't agree on. Mainly because with 4 alts, it takes me an hour of Doffing a day to keep a flow of 16-30K Dil per day up - not a trivial time investment IMO - and BTW all of those 4 alts are well played with maxed rep and fleet ships. I don't view myself as an exploiter (obviously) - rather someone who "exploits" (in a legitimate sense) the intended cash-for-time trade of the dil exchange. What you propose would hurt legitimate players a lot as well.

And in alot of cases its not needed even to farm contraband, becouse they maintain the keys at high prices, thus a stack of 250 contraband bought with around 11m will yield keys in 17-18m value, so there it is a 6m ec profit for just doing nothing but a clicky.

This is right darn outragious and it should be stoped.

True, but consider the time for a "real" player. 250 contraband = 50 TOCCs and it nets the same EC value as a lucky DOff assignment (seriously - while I dil farm, most of my EC comes from DOff missions to recruit or fabricate equipment).

Even if there is a problem with exploiters, nerfing the mechanisms used by regular players is not the answer. All you would do is push the game further away from F2P towards those with deep wallets.

@OP; I will also venture that there is NOTHING WRONG with the current exchange / gear prices. Mk XI rare - which was endgame standard for 2011 - is dirt cheap and more than enough for any game missions except PVP. Same goes for the ships - nobody *needs* fleet or lockbox ships, again apart from PVP. Therefore, complaining about prices is entirely reflective of the ammount of self-induced pressure people put on themselves.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Irony is thick around here. Players complaining about a Player controlled economy, which the developers have zero control over and demand said developers regulate the economy so they can have it easy, and in the OP's instance, just because he throws money around.

Wow, just wow. I'm at a loss for words here.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think you are just underestimating how much EC can be made easily in this game. I started less than a year ago, and while I have spent money on the game, the following were farmed the old fashioned way:

- nicor
    - recluse
    - tal shiar battle cruiser
    - JHDC

of those, the recluse was cheap as my first buy, at 80 mil. The others were all over 100 mil each. Some of the money was flipped --- I saved boxes from the "all boxes drop" events and farmed dil / ec for keys, one at a time. I got 2 ships that I sold to buy the ones I wanted. And the JHDC was from the lobi from the boxes saved over months. A lot of the money was from selling SRO officers most of which went for 10mil or more.
  • Options
    rwscissorsrwscissors Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think exchange fees would make for a reasonable ec sink. Other mmo I play that have such (wow auction house and tor galactic trade network) have such fees in place. Say for example Mirror Heavy Cruiser Refit I was looking at the other day. When you list one for sale there would be a deposit to list the sale. Say 5% of recommended value (200k ec iirc), in this case 10k ec. The deposit is lost if you cancel the sale, otherwise it's returned. then there is a fee when you sell based on the sale price paid Say 5%. So you sell your ship for 1mil. the fee is 50k. it wouldn't fix the inflation overnight, but it would help and it would do it without hurting the new player that is ec poor.
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    momaw wrote: »
    Cryptic murdered the EC market. Fleet gear replaced selling rare drops, since nothing that drops was as good as fleet gear. They butchered Touring The Galaxy as an EC source. They started adding more and more really great duty officers, which come from "packs" and cannot be farmed. Basically everything that high level players were using to farm huge amounts of EC without participating in dil/zen don't work anymore. Because there are no significant ongoing expenses, people are free to hoard, which means the price of anything in EC goes up ridiculously high and the only market transactions are between people that have hundreds of millions and the cash just sloshes around between them.

Cryptic very much cares about EC. They cared that it was allowing people to buy things with time and savvy instead of dil/zen. So they killed it off to gain more control over the economy and ultimately more profits because a chunk of the business that used to be going on in the EC market is now forced by the dictates of sanity to move to the dil/zen market.

This is a faulty assessment of the situation.

If Cryptic didn't want an EC economy, they wouldn't allow most of the contents of lockboxes to be *sold* for EC. Instead, Cryptic understand that players use Energy Credits in a way that actually enhances the demand for things bought with Zen. Some people will buy Zen with the sole purpose of selling keys for EC.

You're also confusing two things. You argue *both* that the supply of Energy Credits has fallen, and then that because there are no more EC expenses that supply is increasing leading to price increases.

The fact is that there is still too much EC being created every day, in addition to too little EC being destroyed by purchases from NPCs or other actions.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Irony is thick around here. Players complaining about a Player controlled economy, which the developers have zero control over and demand said developers regulate the economy so they can have it easy, and in the OP's instance, just because he throws money around.

Well, the devs have some indirect control over it... by making new EC easier or harder to get, and by adjusting EC sinks, they would effect the "player run" economy by changing the players' perception of EC's value.

Personally, I've never been very good at getting EC. Until a lucky weapon from a lockbox a couple months ago, and actively selling some Risa favors, I doubt I had more than 10-20m between all my characters. Now that's up to.... 60m, maybe? I run 2-3 contraband missions a day with one alt I'm not actively playing, stocked with contraband from a couple Klingon alts. Never done a Tour The Galaxy, either the old or the new (need to try that sometime, since I finally got my hands on a Borg engine). A lot of my EC came from selling equipment drops and doffing. /shrug
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    tenkari wrote: »
    One Word.....

Greed

Who can blame them when you have rube's throwing away copious amounts of money on their game. Enough to pay a jr. staffer? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. :(
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Who can blame them when you have rube's throwing away copious amounts of money on their game. Enough to pay a jr. staffer? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. :(

I don't think that remark was literal - even allowing for millions of dil into a fleet and every lockbox going, you're not talking much of a living wage...

Probably still enough that any married man would be in trouble... :)
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Pretty much was answered, but over the weekend I was shocked there was a major dip in the Dilithum prices. Saw it go as low as 147, but yesterday it rebound back to 152. :(.

you will often see this happen form time to time but its always short lived, there would need to be something that makes a heavy demand for dilithium over a long period before you see the rate go down and stay down for an extended period.
    that will only happen if they bring out something similar to the starbases, may be something like a colony on a planet where the more dil you can spend on it the bigger and grander it will become and not just to tier 3 or even 5 like the other fleet holdings but to tier 10, so it will keep fleets busy and take a lot of dilithium for a very long time to come.
    sadly this is very unlikely to happen and if the trend carries on as it is I can envisage that by this time next year the exchange rate will be up to 300dil > 1zen.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I used to spend a fair amount of coin on this game. Not quite enough to pay for a junior staffer, but a good amount.

Then the game started going down the toilet and I stopped spending. I haven't spent a cent in well over 3 months. I feel 'cleaner' for it, too. It's liberating!!
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Well, the devs have some indirect control over it... by making new EC easier or harder to get, and by adjusting EC sinks, they would effect the "player run" economy by changing the players' perception of EC's value.

Personally, I've never been very good at getting EC. Until a lucky weapon from a lockbox a couple months ago, and actively selling some Risa favors, I doubt I had more than 10-20m between all my characters. Now that's up to.... 60m, maybe? I run 2-3 contraband missions a day with one alt I'm not actively playing, stocked with contraband from a couple Klingon alts. Never done a Tour The Galaxy, either the old or the new (need to try that sometime, since I finally got my hands on a Borg engine). A lot of my EC came from selling equipment drops and doffing. /shrug

Considering they allow foundry missions where you can grind out 500k EC in a run by blowing up NPCs, it's actually not too hard to get EC.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Considering they allow foundry missions where you can grind out 500k EC in a run by blowing up NPCs, it's actually not too hard to get EC.

And the space battlezone drops just as much loot- if not more- along with marks and dil.

The exchanges are tied inextricably together. As the price of zen rises in dil, the cost of items purchased with zen for resale- keys and FSMs- rises. As key prices rise, lockbox and lobi ship prices rise.

The cost of items that aren't tied to zen in some way- stuff like weapons and doffs- have remained relatively stable for the last two years. The wider availability of fleet gear has driven down many of those prices, especially fleet tac consoles which killed the console crafting cottage industry.
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    They should have just had it as part of the death penalty, each time you die you are hit with a repair bill in all PvE situations on all difficulty modes.... either fixed amounts that increase every 10 levels or 0.5% of what ever EC you have.... which in some cases could be a huge amount... But you could have it set so you have 1 free death every hour or 2. Probably the harshest money sink but simple.

Actually I thought of a worse one, completely remove EC, make Dil the main currency, for everything, the main reward for everything..... The EC left in the game becomes tokens, 1 token for every 100k EC and you can trade the tokens for dilithium packs until all the tokens are gone from the game forever. You now trade with Dil on the exchange..... yes its a horrid idea.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    staq16 wrote: »
    Evidence? Or are you just inferring that's how the EC-for-cash sellers work? (Credible, I'm just wondering).

Not without breaking the rules.
    But the devs can check easy by IPs. If there is a dil flow of 400k-500k dil per IP per day without any zen purchase then is something fishy. Even in the cases of couples and siblings thats hardly improbable. And alot fo these players that exploit via 60-70 farms are related with the illegal EC sellers by selling EC to those sites or just cranking up the prices on exchange so those sites have better sales. And its even funnier when some of them come on forums to post and repeat non-sense stuff, just to flip the thread's pages in a silly atempt to cover things up thinking devs might not see. I am getting a good laugh out of that ;)

This affects greatly Cryptic's incomes. Sure you might think that high EC prices means more zen sold via zen to keys to EC transfers. But its the oposite. On a microtransaction F2P model like STO is having, more ppl will buy more often if the prices are low. See the 20% off sales for example. I've encouter zen buyers, both new and returned players, wich are really discourajed when a lock box ship costs them 7k-8k or even up to 10k zen. At 10k zen the C-Store offers no more then 10 ships, or for 5k zen 3 ships. Sure there are variations of the same ship, but still each variant has its unique console and visual variants. And then they can turn to a darker path by buying ECs from illegal sites, wich it seems they start to advetise extremly agressive even in Sirius sector space zone. Either they are desperate or they are doing well. At least Cryptic should put a min lvl 10 or something on that transwarp banner, since I guess this is how they get so fast to Sirius.

You might think I am wrong, but if you look at the last lockbox, this allready happened. At least the rushed and rather coincidental boff slots and console layout of the C-sore FPR release that looked like. It strongly seemed rushed in becouse the lockbox ships were flipped and keept artificially at 200m and above for more then a month and ppl hardly bought zen to get ECs . Even now, after more then 2 months, you can hardly see any undine ship flown so its not like there were very popular either.
    And another lockbox is aproaching and I bet something similar will happen.

And yes I know it sux and nerfing the "Turn in Confiscated Contraband" from 4h and 2000 dil payout to 20h and 500 dil payout will hurt onest players aswell, but what is going on is too much and out of control and actions must be taken.
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's working as intended. There is no problem with the exchange. Everything is perfect. ;)
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Max bets on Dabo need to be increased by at least 100x, and latinum store needs more holoemmiters and more expensive stuff in it that doesn't affect combat.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    marc8219 wrote: »
    Max bets on Dabo need to be increased by at least 100x, and latinum store needs more holoemmiters and more expensive stuff in it that doesn't affect combat.

There's a winner. Max bet, 10k. And a Gold ship material in the GPL store for... 10 million GPL.
  • Options
    ejsphcrispejsphcrisp Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There's a winner. Max bet, 10k. And a Gold ship material in the GPL store for... 10 million GPL.

Just for fun, they could make a Latinum 3 piece Space Set, with the visuals as gold dust for the warp/impulse trail, and a gold appearance on the ship's hull. lol
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited July 2014
    It's a player-run market, Supply and Demand, aint that how the world's biggest markets work???
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    When keys cost 1m each and galors / d'koras were 80m each, 1 galor or d'kora was 80 keys.

It isnt any different now, nothing has changed in two years as far as the number of keys you need to sell to afford a lockbox ship.

Its hard to follow how you believe the contraband turn ins are related to ec price inflation.

The two have nothing to do with one another.

In fact I'm hard pressed to find anything in your post that is right or true...

The contraband turn in have everything to do with the ec price inflation.
    It wouldnt gave you the chance, via large farms, to have that much resources via dil->ec to pump up the prices, flip items on exchange etc.
    Keys prices too, since they are clearly kept at high prices, since if you do the dil->zen->key conversion there is a big difference between how much contraband costs you and key prices on the exchange.
    So it is a big difference.
    And lastly, it matter if the devs find it right or true, and not ppl like you that just try to cover up and keep their exploiting going.