test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A comprehensive look on how to improve STO.

2»

Comments

• kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Step 1: Do things I like.

Step 2: Don't do things I dislike.

There are no other steps beyond 2.

Really.. that's it?

You mean a game is there to ENJOY?!?!

*picks up pieces of his blown mind off the floor*
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Friend, I don't want to hurt your feelings but this is PWE. Even in the brightest of all possible futures there will be one thing for sure: Never, ever will PWE listen to us.

And again, you are totally wrong. Its cryptic the ones who should listen to us. PWE is the "boss", and the only thing they tell to cryptic is "we want money at the end of the month, do watever you want but we want money".

The devs from cryptic and their bosses are the ones who decides which way the game is headed. I dont want to "hurt your feelings" but this is the truth. They can do watever they want as long as the game grants benefits. So, again, i want cryptic to listen to their customers. If people dont want things to go live because they are bugged, please cryptic listen to em. If people dont want dumb new grinding content, and instead they want some things improved in some way, please listen to em. If people want a BETTER game, please LISTEN to em. Thats all.

I tell you, when people is happy, the benefits are even higher. This is a universal rule lol.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There is NOOOOOOOOOOOOO- Step 2.

Fixed that for ya. :D
  • musealotmusealot Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think that one of the reasons many MMO dwindle is there is insufficient enticement for veteran players to stay once they have reached the end game. In STO once you hit level 50 all you have to look forward to is grinding for gear, but unless you're into PVP why bother with new gear when new content is so scattered and limited? I have two suggestions to make level 50 more relevant.
    1) Take an idea from Star Wars Galaxies which had excellent community bonding; make a unique buff system like the entertainers were there. So for instance, at level 50 you gain the ability to do seminars and lectures. There would be specific places to hold these and other players could come to hear you lecture. Once they have sat long enough to listen, say 5 minutes, they then get a unique buff (could even be a "consumable to use existing STO methods). The key here is the five minute wait time. What do players do when waiting...they get bored enough to actually talk to each other! They talk about what they are working on and others begin to compare and share and before you know it you have folks forming fleets, teams, and even more radically; forming friendships!
    2) This is more major BUT very exciting too. At level 50 give players the option to retire or go renegade and become INDEPENDENT CAPTAINS. Once at this level players are no longer tied to their former factions. They can travel anywhere and have exclusive access to Ferenginar and/or Rigel. There they have access to unique missions; merchant trade, piracy, smuggling, bounty hunting, mercenary, spies...so many options. You can tie this to a reputation system where one becomes famous or infamous. One could go so far as to have players who do too many illegal activities or fail missions (yes there should be the option to fail) have bounties placed on them which other players could then hunt them for. To make it immersive there should be NO QUEUES. The possible objection to this plan is, of course, that such a plan would involve too much content creation, but that's where I say STO should embrace the foundry and allow access to unique foundry missions developed for INDEPENDENT CAPTAINS. These missions can only be accessed through specific contacts in shady alleys or bars. These missions would also provide unique marks for their creators. To do all this STO would have to create another reputation system, beef up foundry resources, and create content involving Ferenginar and Rigel. NO small task, but I would think it not too unlike creating The Legacy of Romulus which breathed new life into STO.
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Fixed that for you. :cool:
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • sevenatsevenat Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Do things I like that you wont like that he will like but she wont like that he doesnt like that she will like that....

Finish him!

the iconians just face rolled the Klingon high command!...

iconians win!

Flawless victory.

/thread iconian win
  • musealotmusealot Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This thread seems to be suffering the fate of far too many threads; too much cynicsm masked as wisdom.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Step 2: Don't do things I dislike.

There are no other steps beyond 2.

only problem is is dislike what you like and like what you dislike so that would be no improvement at all.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    ROFL
    It went F2P because it was going under, just because it's held on for a couple more years doesn't mean it's turning a profit. The game is only a skin on the NW game now because the old game couldn't compete.

I think that it could not seriously turn a profit as a subscription game because of a few reasons.
    It was a shell of a game. A good foundation but it needed to grow. But without capital it was doomed.
    And players like me would not buy a full game and pay the subscription anymore. Just to see if it might be good. Too many flashy boxes and mindblowing promises have been made on other single and mmo titles that buyers are wary. When I saw this game was f2p. I decided to take a look. Then I liked it and stayed to spend money.

I think that as another person I like to debate with says the trinity system is obsolete. I say the buy to try model is also obsolete. And f2p is the way it will be from now on.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    musealot wrote: »
    I think that one of the reasons many MMO dwindle is there is insufficient enticement for veteran players to stay once they have reached the end game. In STO once you hit level 50 all you have to look forward to is grinding for gear, but unless you're into PVP why bother with new gear when new content is so scattered and limited? I have two suggestions to make level 50 more relevant.
    1) Take an idea from Star Wars Galaxies which had excellent community bonding; make a unique buff system like the entertainers were there. So for instance, at level 50 you gain the ability to do seminars and lectures. There would be specific places to hold these and other players could come to hear you lecture. Once they have sat long enough to listen, say 5 minutes, they then get a unique buff (could even be a "consumable to use existing STO methods). The key here is the five minute wait time. What do players do when waiting...they get bored enough to actually talk to each other! They talk about what they are working on and others begin to compare and share and before you know it you have folks forming fleets, teams, and even more radically; forming friendships!
    2) This is more major BUT very exciting too. At level 50 give players the option to retire or go renegade and become INDEPENDENT CAPTAINS. Once at this level players are no longer tied to their former factions. They can travel anywhere and have exclusive access to Ferenginar and/or Rigel. There they have access to unique missions; merchant trade, piracy, smuggling, bounty hunting, mercenary, spies...so many options. You can tie this to a reputation system where one becomes famous or infamous. One could go so far as to have players who do too many illegal activities or fail missions (yes there should be the option to fail) have bounties placed on them which other players could then hunt them for. To make it immersive there should be NO QUEUES. The possible objection to this plan is, of course, that such a plan would involve too much content creation, but that's where I say STO should embrace the foundry and allow access to unique foundry missions developed for INDEPENDENT CAPTAINS. These missions can only be accessed through specific contacts in shady alleys or bars. These missions would also provide unique marks for their creators. To do all this STO would have to create another reputation system, beef up foundry resources, and create content involving Ferenginar and Rigel. NO small task, but I would think it not too unlike creating The Legacy of Romulus which breathed new life into STO.

Well the seminars and the like are an okay idea. What about a new game+ feature?
    Your level fifty starts at the beginning again, but with all your gear and experience. Taking command of the ship that would eventually be your glory and flagship as you rise through the ranks. It would make the story a ToS like epic. Kirk didn't change his ship five or six times. He commanded the Enterprise. Even after it got a refit. It was still the Enterprise. So new game plus to let us have a more epic feel.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.