Install Arc
Options

WTF is this troll doing

Comments

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    nulonu wrote: »
    Funny thing is, we used to have friendly fire, albeit on the ground. Plasma grenade DoT field used to burn friendlies. The kinetic explosion wouldn't but they'd catch on fire if they walked through it. Would be all kinds of rage thrown at people for bringing that into STFs! :D

funnily enough i stood in these plasma fires relying on boffs to heal before it was fixed, just to get the plasma damage accolade a bit quicker.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tenkari wrote: »
    HY Torp (destructible kind) explosions and mine explosions used to injure teammates as well in space.

Oh yea forgot about that haha! Imagine if the red beach ball of DOOOOOOMMMMM hit friendly players! I think anyone saying we need friendly fire would change their mind fast! :P
  • Options
    apedilbertapedilbert Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yep, still more reason why there shouldn't be so many tractors doing so much. Know what else, it's doing more damage than many actual WEAPONS do.

Tractors are not meant as weapons. They're not used in combat, there's only 2 times we ever saw them used in combat (not counting the borg, who are an exception), and in neither case did they do any damage.

They should be removed as a combat tool entirely.

Not true. One time Kirk tried to tractor a fleeing ship full of space hippies and its attempt to resist the beam nearly tore it apart.
  • Options
    risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    nulonu wrote: »
    Oh yea forgot about that haha! Imagine if the red beach ball of DOOOOOOMMMMM hit friendly players! I think anyone saying we need friendly fire would change their mind fast! :P

As it stands now, if they are in the blast range, they're affected. I've died numerous times to that damn thing. Still, funny as hell when it happens.
    apedilbert wrote: »
    Not true. One time Kirk tried to tractor a fleeing ship full of space hippies and its attempt to resist the beam nearly tore it apart.

Not only that, the tractor beam tore a fighter jet apart in less than 10 seconds in an episode where they suddenly appeared in 1960/70's era Earth airspace above the US. Just enough time for them to beam the pilot aboard.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Unfortunately, jerks like this exist purely to frustrate everyone else. They don't care. They troll because they suck at the game. Personally, if I had a say, I'd make a matchmaking server for all stfs, and set it to sort players based on number of matches played, success rate, and damage done. This would seperate those of us who actually want to play the game from those who just want to annoy, and set them up to annoy each other. It wouldn't be a perfect solution, and people would still get trolled, but at least it would be reduced quite a bit.

Of course, I'm not against a friendly fire system. Sometimes its definitely called for.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    In situations like these OP, I usually let the mission completely fail, and this way even the troll gains absolutely nothing, as far as rewards go.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    1. Don't want trolls in public queues? Find fleet/chat channel/friends/group with which you can do missions in peace, and don't need to play with PUG.

2. Friendly fire from AoE weapons/skills? Certainly YES! It will create need for thinking and team play. Worrying about abuse and trolls? See point 1.

3. Kick vote? Also definitely YES! You don't play as one of the team,or even play against own team, be ready that you can be punished and kicked out from mission (if all team vote 'kick' there should be also 1h cooldown applied same as for finishing mission). Now there's no tool against trolls, what's more they even get rewards for trolling while everybody else finish mission.
    Many games have kick option and it works fine. Community itself draw the line what is acceptable and what not. Again, worrying about abuse and trolls? See point 1.

4. Working Ignore option. Ignore shouldn't only block chat/mail, it also should prevent teaming in public queses. Same as Kick it works fine in other games. You are troll or leach and make enough people angry to put you on ignore than deal with fact that you will must wait longer to get team by PvE queses.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    dkratasco wrote: »
    2. Friendly fire from AoE weapons/skills? Certainly YES! It will create need for thinking and team play. Worrying about abuse and trolls? See point 1.

"Sorry captain, our 25th century hyper-advanced targeting systems cannot distinguish a friend from a foe, even though this technology was already developed on pre-space exploration Earth in the 21st century."
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    "Sorry captain, our 25th century hyper-advanced targeting systems cannot distinguish a friend from a foe, even though this technology was already developed on pre-space exploration Earth in the 21st century."

Yeah, when you drop bomb at two units in close combat shrapnel are so technologically advanced the they will hit only one unit, and don't hurt second because it's friendly. If something explode it hurt everything in it's range (AoE), it just how physics works.
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    1. Don't want trolls in public queues? Find fleet/chat channel/friends/group with which you can do missions in peace, and don't need to play with PUG.

3. Kick vote? Also definitely YES! You don't play as one of the team,or even play against own team, be ready that you can be punished and kicked out from mission (if all team vote 'kick' there should be also 1h cooldown applied same as for finishing mission). Now there's no tool against trolls, what's more they even get rewards for trolling while everybody else finish mission.
    Many games have kick option and it works fine. Community itself draw the line what is acceptable and what not. Again, worrying about abuse and trolls? See point 1.

4. Working Ignore option. Ignore shouldn't only block chat/mail, it also should prevent teaming in public queses. Same as Kick it works fine in other games. You are troll or leach and make enough people angry to put you on ignore than deal with fact that you will must wait longer to get team by PvE queses.

Point 1 completely negates the "need" for 2-4.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    3 and 4 yes, but not 2. AoE friendly fire should be normal game mechanic not as antitroll tool. Last year you could killed yourself with own tricobald device AoE, just because you shot it at target to near you. And that how it should work, instead simple spaming with AoE skills/weapons players should think how and when use them.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    #3 could be abused.

Perhaps make it so that there must be at least 3 votes to kick someone out. Relying on just a single vote could mean a troll is able to kick out the other 4 players.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    It's kick vote not one-person kick option. It automatically means that most of group (except one which may be kicked) must press Kick button.
  • Options
    bradchristopher1bradchristopher1 Member Posts: 307
    edited July 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    Friendly fire would be kinda sexy.

Personally I would kill the sphere :cool:

I would prefer an option to Enable friendly fire and disable any respawning for the duration of the PVE. Then I will take care of the afk'rs myself and invite non-afk replacement players to join the STF already in progress. then, booted too many times by friendly fire gives you a longer cool-down period to join another PVE. :P
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,050 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    When you PUG, there's always the chance someone is gonna frak it up for kicks. We all know of a certain fleet's rep, but there's also the freelance Trolls out there willing to ruin our fun for laughs. Its something you can't really do anything about except report the offender in game. Every MMO has 'em. And unfortunately... they're here to stay.

No offense to the certain fleet. Did run a Kitomer Space with one of you in a PUG, and he was a decent player. The OTHER guy I ran a PUG with on Kit Ground... gave me an EXTREME dislike of Disco Balls.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I was playing ICE last night and some stupid idiot decided to focus on destroying the nanite generators and totally ignored the Borg Cube. That triggered the Borg Spheres to appear. He did this twice; on the left and right side of the gate. What should have been a fairly easy 10 - 15 STF dragged out for over 30 minutes trying to take both cubes and spheres at the same time.

Next time that happens I will probably just go with my gut reaction and leave the STF.
  • Options
    pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Please ... Cryptic doesn't have to (and shouldn't) do anything about what you described.

Welcome to Multi-player gaming.

EVERY person who has played STF missions has had some newb or some troll ruin a mission from time to time. It stinks, but there's nothing you can do other than select the player and "ignore player" so you aren't teamed up ever again and/or report the player.

If it's a true troll then the devs may do something after multiple people report that player, but honestly, dealing with idiots is a fact of life and a something you have to learn to deal with when you're playing with other living beings.

Yes, I've screamed and raged when someone ruins a STF for me, but whenever it happens I get over it and move on.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    It stinks, but there's nothing you can do other than select the player and "ignore player" so you aren't teamed up ever again and/or report the player.

Ignoring someone does nothing to stop you being teamed with them in a pug. Just stops them from talking to you.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    keravnioskeravnios Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    Friendly fire would be kinda sexy.

Personally I would kill the sphere :cool:

You got that damn right. How many times I've wanted to shoot them down...
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Ignoring someone does nothing to stop you being teamed with them in a pug. Just stops them from talking to you.

True, but wouldn't that be so great if it did work like that?
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    keravnioskeravnios Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    True, but wouldn't that be so great if it did work like that?

I've ignored so many guys from time to time I try speaking to my teamates and realise THEY ARE BLOCKED. I'm outa here...
  • Options
    saxfiresaxfire Member Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Funny post, made my day :D gotta try it some day!
    Say the word, it saves the world.
    CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
    Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
  • Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Actually I've had a lot of situations like their were idiots decide to push a sphere or the Scimitar. I really hate when they push the Scimitar before it shoots the Thalaron radiation out. That causes the ship to shoot twice.

Anyway,...it is what it is. Soon as I see someone doing that, I already know they have no intention of listening to anyone telling them otherwise.
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    If it's a true troll then the devs may do something after multiple people report that player, but honestly, dealing with idiots is a fact of life and a something you have to learn to deal with when you're playing with other living beings.

Yeah... you're right, when we meat some idiot on road who goes 200 kph by city center we should just ignore him and lear to live with it. NO! Such person need to be punish one way or another.

As you said it's Multi-player gaming, so if most of people in the team don't accept how one player behave they should have option to kick him from the game.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    reminds me of the past few borg incursions I joined in my T'varo. I engaged the Borg while the 3 starships just sat and watched.

after getting killed by the command ship a couple times and only having 3 m left I decided to leave the battle.
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Yeah... you're right, when we meat some idiot on road who goes 200 kph by city center we should just ignore him and lear to live with it. NO! Such person need to be punish one way or another.

As you said it's Multi-player gaming, so if most of people in the team don't accept how one player behave they should have option to kick him from the game.

I love it when people try to compare the game to real life. First sign of desperation.:D

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Game, as every thing else you do, is part of real life. How you behave depend on your moral system which rather don't change depending of situation (work/shopping/gaming).