What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Time for a new PC!

2»

Comments

• zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Just so you guys know, the Nvidia Titan has problems with lag in this game. Just bad coding really....

Titans are overpriced and not that great for gaming, you are better off getting a 780Ti for a much better money to performance card.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    zipagat wrote: »
    Titans are overpriced and not that great for gaming, you are better off getting a 780Ti for a much better money to performance card.

Oh I know, but I was able to test it, so what the hell.. ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    zipagat wrote: »
    I get like 9fps difference between UI and no UI in space and I have an i5 4670k running at stock speeds .

idk then, maybe because your CPU is better, so it isn't under as much pressure, i get easily 20+ FPS when i turn my UI off.
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    phoenicius wrote: »
    lol what? his CPU is identical to mine, and my STO is still suffers due to the bad UI, i5 4670k is twice as good in performance compared to the Q9400, it should be able to handle it better.

yes i agree his video card is well, awful, but he will also need a new CPU if he wants to run STO truly well, especially since the devs responsible about the UI could care less about optimizing it.

if you don't believe what i said about the UI, try turning it off, and see the ENORMOUS difference in FPS(you'll easily gain 20-30+ FPS in most cases), press alt+F12, and see for yourself.

just getting a new video card, will not fix his problems.

Wrong. He only needs a new videocard. Period. If you are having problems as well, there must be something wrong with your computer as well. The UI or the CPU power is not the bigger problem here. It is just the poorly game engine optimization of the game, and of course the awful videocard he was using.
    Plus, as he said, his system must be really slowed down due to trash, viruses and other things.

As i said, he needs a clean up, then a new videocard. Problem solved.

We ALL are aware of turning of the UI and see our fps raise, but thats not the issue here, not for having a powerful CPU the problems will go away. Not by far. First, you need a decent videocard to start with, then a good cpu, but as we said the cpu he was using IS MORE THAN ENOUGH to bypass any UI cpu performance issues.

I just dont get people that recommends to buy a powerful cpu to play a game like STO.. seriously. Wake up.. whats going to be next? to buy a 2000€ computer to play mario bross?
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    idk then, maybe because your CPU is better, so it isn't under as much pressure, i get easily 20+ FPS when i turn my UI off.

I may of just won the silicone lottery, processors differ because of the way they are made, its impossible to get them uniform and the same. Its getting more common now to as processors are getting smaller and smaller.

I guess we have to give Intel a break since they are dealing in sizes so small (billionths of meters) its amazing we get the consistency we do.
  • odstparker#7820 odstparker Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I just fixed a couple of problems that I've been having for a while. I'm glad I took a day to try a bunch of stuff and inquire about future solutions.

I uninstalled the game, even Arc, and re-installed it to my computer (I previously had it on a large flash drive), and I am now able to play on my preferred graphics settings without crippling lag AND my two characters that became locked (crashed on the first loading screen) now work perfectly.

So now, once I wipe/reset my computer and find a better video card, I should be golden!
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,903 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I upgraded from a Q9600 to an I7 4770K 16G ram and a GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 770 2GB WindForce Video Card

I run wide open on graphics and no issues except in the space battle zone beams and stuff don't display, but that's not on my end that's the server not being able to write all the information to all the players
    sig.jpg
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    this guy is right, we have folks with GTX 760 at the graphical bugs forum having issues ffs, you could have a brand new overclocked I7 with a titan, you would probably still have some issues in some areas(especially the undine zone), cryptic needs to optimize their game, especially their UI.

this is a 2010 game, its not supposed to run badly.

also don't forget that are certain bugs as well, some people can't max shadows anymore for instance, despite having no issues with it before the undine update.

Yep. Whatever they did for graphics and their settings for S9, Cryptic really screwed the pooch. This game is 4 years old and should NOT be bringing current computers to their knees.

My rig chews up BF4 and spits it out... BF4, a game that has SERIOUS issues on top of being a graphics monster... but STO brings it to its knees, alongside graphical glitches like Warp Plasma disappearing, energy weapons fire not appearing, Undine BZ bringing the game to a screeching halt.

Then we have the major UI issues like ability trays, traits, even active DOFFs resetting.

S9 needed a lot more time in testing and ironing out. How the hell this went to Holodeck in its current form, I can only wonder how that conversation went.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • entrailsgaloreentrailsgalore Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yep. Whatever they did for graphics and their settings for S9, Cryptic really screwed the pooch. This game is 4 years old and should NOT be bringing current computers to their knees.

My rig chews up BF4 and spits it out... BF4, a game that has SERIOUS issues on top of being a graphics monster... but STO brings it to its knees, alongside graphical glitches like Warp Plasma disappearing, energy weapons fire not appearing, Undine BZ bringing the game to a screeching halt.

Then we have the major UI issues like ability trays, traits, even active DOFFs resetting.

S9 needed a lot more time in testing and ironing out. How the hell this went to Holodeck in its current form, I can only wonder how that conversation went.

Yeah my Rig chews up BF4, and eats Planetside 2 for breakfast, and I am running an AMD FX cpu with a GTX 670.

To OP (Walls of Text alert-this is just a CPU/GPU recommendation):
    Right now EVERYONE is experiencing FPS issues, even people with nice rigs, so don't feel bad. There is some sort of Server delay that is causing stuttering anytime you turn, or click something it seems. Once they fix it, whenever that is, you should be experiencing more stable performance out of your current rig.

But if you are still in the market for building a new PC, than what most people have suggested is what I would pretty much suggest.

For Budget:

CPU = AMD FX-8350 if you can, 6350 if you are more of a budget, and 4350 if you are on a strict budget. the FX-4350 is still a quadcore CPU, and if overclocked, will still perform very much the same as the other two FX chips in single threaded applications, such as games.

GPU= You have a few options here, starting with the GTX 660 and GTX 750ti. Both of those will perform about the same, giver or take, and are about the same price, with the 660 pulling a few dollars ahead. My recommendation, however, would be to get the AMD r9 270. Despite what some have said about AMD GPU's, the 7900 series and r9 series are awesome performers for the price. The r9 270 can be picked up for the same price as a high end GTX 750ti, and it benchmarks a hairline better than a GTX 660, so that would give you the better value, but for STO any of those cards will run the game fine at High settings.

Not on Budget:

CPU= Intel core i5/i7 chips are better single threaded performers right now, and are definitely the best in performance for games for the time being. If you want a CPU for everything, then going with something a core i7 4770k ( or better) will be what you want, HOWEVER for gaming and single threaded applications, going with a core i5 will save you money.
    The i5 3570k is the king of the hill right now in terms of price and performance, but the newer 4670k is almost the same price depending on where you shop, and they both perform about the same.
    NOTE: Going Intel doesn't really require you OC your cpu out of the box, as the performance will be decent enough, but the motherboards for them may be a bit more expensive than AMD boards, and I would still recommend buying an aftermarket CPU cooler.

GPU= Both AMD and nVidia have really great mid-high end GPUs here. On the lower scale, nVidia has the GTX 760, while AMD has the 280/280x. On the higher scale, nVidia has the GTX 770 while AMD has the r9 290. The r9 280x goes toe to toe with the GTX 770 in performance, but the r9 280x is the better value. The r9 290 can be found at gtx 770 prices now and performs better.
    NOTE: I didn't menition any cards greater than $400, as they are "overkill" for STO, and beyond $400, the value for performance gain starts to diminish.

My recommendation builds ( Assumes you will also have RAM, MoBo, PSU, etc):

Budget:

CPU: AMD FX-6350 (Best value between 4350/8350 when Overclocked)
    GPU:r9 270 (Best performance/dollar value)

High Budget:

CPU: i5 3570k/4670k (whichever you can find the better deal on)
    GPU: r9 280x ( can find these for vanilla 280 prices now)

Money is no Object:

CPU: Intel i7 4770k+ ( Any of the high end i7's will work)
    GPU: GTX Titanz/780ti, AMD R9 295X2 (The R9 costs the most, but money is no object right?)

Hope fully these made some kind of sense, but should give you an idea of what to look for. I didn't really list prices on here since there are many variations of price, especially if you have a local computer shop that has bundle deals where you live. The thing to remember here, is that yes Intel has better single threaded performance, but you pay for it. AMD has the better Value, as the performance doesn't diminish as much as the price does. That means paying 200% more for an Intel CPU over an AMD CPU, doesn't translate to 200% performance. It could be a 20-30% performance gain at best, while the price markup is still 200%.

If you go AMD, what makes it a better value is that you can easily Overclock them right out of the box, and you won't void the warranty.That doesn't mean you can't OC Intel chips, they just require more tinkering sometimes depending on how good the wafer is on your chip. Always budget in an aftermarket CPU cooler if you plan to overclock, the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo is decent and cheap.

My personal gaming rig is an FX6350@4.5Ghz, 8GB 1600Mhz, GTX 670, 750w PSU, and I run Planetside 2 and STO Prefectly fine (pre Season 9, I ran the game flawless with no stuttering). When the fix this stutter/server-side lag, STO will run smooth on whatever rig you buy.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    enoemg wrote: »
    I have been dragging my way through lag in this game for some time now, and I only play on what would be considered medium graphics. I have recently discovered that even when I lower the settings to the absolute minimum, the game still lags and crashes constantly. So, I have decided that it's time to finally upgrade my old machine by replacing it with a brand new, more modern computer.

To those of you who manage to play STO with the maximum graphics, with little to no lag, stuttering, or crashing, what kind of computer would you recommend? I know nothing about how these things work, so I'm looking for the best brands, components, etc. Basically, I'm trying to find out what I need to have STO run at optimum performance.

I'd appreciate any help, because I'm tired of playing STO surrounded by people who I can only assume are even close to humanoid, thanks to warped uniforms, discoloration, and distorted faces and bodies.

if your graphics are not up to it, then i dunno what a network issue has to do with a frame rate drop. lag is a network issue, fps or frames per second is about the graphics card. now thats sorted out.

i had a 10 year old computer i recently upgraded to more modern tech, the computer used to run sto fine enough but it just couldnt handle shadows that well with large groups of objects casting such shadows. anyways, i play maximum settings on my main rig without issue, the cryptic game engine is far behind the time with how its coded and works but its better then the swtor engine though. what would be good to run better settings is drop the shadows, reducing the clutter from grass and tree details, reducing the draw distance a little can all have a massive impact on freeing up resources for the game, same with aa, drop it from x16 to x4 or something can also increase speeds but decrease quality.

what you wish to buy? that is upto you but just make sure you buy something powerful. my brother has made the mistake of buying TRIBBLE graphics cards that look good but are useless in gaming mode, i suggest to him gddr memory, faster shader clock and gpu clock and good memory capacity on pci-e 3. whatever it is today. motherboards are all over the place but you would want to choose one that would fit your budget and how you see the design for a complete computer, but to power the rig without a lack of performance you need a powerful hdd and psu. i cant tell you how to build your machine, because that is for you to decide. but what i can tell you is the more powerful stuff is the most expensive, but dont be deceived however some of it could be bad, read over the tech details first, research is always a must before a buy.

a better monitor can also work wonders as well.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You may want to look at Tiger Direct or Newegg, they hare having some nice component sales right now. Also, they carry bare bones kits where you can get CPU/Mobo/Ram/PSU set ups dirt cheap. The only thing left would be the card. For Card brands I'd recommend EVGA for Nvidia and Sapphire for AMD.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• rondorarondora Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Down Necro, down, Ma we gonna need the big stake for this one.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ppl really need to learn to count ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,903 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I forgot to mention what kind of processor that I have at the moment. This is all the system information I can find right off hand.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz 2.66 GHz

8 GB RAM

64-bit operation system

I'm not sure if that helps, but it's all I got.

ok you are where I was 3 months ago.

1 x ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION) LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $170

1 x GIGABYTE GV-N770WF3-2GD GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready WindForce 3X Video Card $330

Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB Kit (2x8 GB Modules) 1600MHz 240-pin DDR3 Non-ECC CL10 Desktop Memory KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G $170

Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.5 GHZ 8 MB Cache BX80646I74770K

$320

I used my existing case PS monitor and accessories.

I run wide open everything maxed out. I still get the graphics issues everyone else gets in the undine space battlezone
    sig.jpg
  • daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Ok I'm just gonna say this because too many people overlook such a thing.

the gist of it all.

AMD Processors- Way Better Price, Great performance, Huge power draw.

Intel Processors- Balanced, Energy Efficient, Expensive.

GPU

AMD- Better Pricing, More ranged options, better crossfire support. Power hog and fan noise.

Nvidia- Solid Drivers, broad spectrum of games in support, way better fan tech, slightly more power efficient.

here's the big thing people keep overlooking, Power Consumption can do more for the price than you think.

get a good PSU, at least a bronze rated PSU, I remember building my rig and having an FX-8350BE, and a GTX 650, on a 460W PSU because it was a few bucks cheaper than the 500W Bronze rated, didn't think i'd need it, but once I upgraded to 16 Gigs of ram and added a new HDD things started to get buggy.

half the cards people are listing can kill your rigs power budget, the AMD cards especially. I've had a lot of cards in this rig's lifetime, the three most prominent being the 650, an R7770 (beautiful and cold card) and my 760, I've even had the 650 on with both the 760 and R7770 at one point.

but without a decent PSU you're going to suffer. also you'll want a nice and efficient case for the wiring. but if you don't have an efficient PSU you can suffer in the powerbill department.
  • odstparker#7820 odstparker Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    I'm sure that Bill and Leonard would be happy to suggest some super high tech stuff for you.

I never would have expected the Commodore VIC-20 to be able to handle STO on the highest settings!
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I never would have expected the Commodore VIC-20 to be able to handle STO on the highest settings!

can you not play sto on Internet Explorer 3? :D

was a joke
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    rondora wrote: »
    Down Necro, down, Ma we gonna need the big stake for this one.

26.5.14 @ reply 39

24.6.14 @ reply 40

31 days over the month between may and june.

29 days between replies. 30 days is minimum before the mods get antsy about it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.