test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dear Devs, this is how STO should look like...

2»

Comments

• hurleybirdhurleybird Member Posts: 909
    edited June 2014
    tucana66 wrote: »
    This is exactly the kind of post (specifically the wording) that 1.) gives the forum (player) community a poor reputation; and 2.) if I worked at Cryptic/PWE, pass on this thread.

Irrelevant. If Cryptic was willing to put any kind of resources into PvP they would have done so ages ago. PvP is never going to be in Cryptic's focus and therefore it doesn't matter how the PvP community behaves or words its threads. The PvPErs still left in this game aren't guilty of expressing their disappointment in Cryptic's treatment of the game, but they are guilty of not finding another game to play with devs that actually give a ****.
  • p2wsucksp2wsucks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hurleybird wrote: »
    Irrelevant. If Cryptic was willing to put any kind of resources into PvP they would have done so ages ago. PvP is never going to be in Cryptic's focus and therefore it doesn't matter how the PvP community behaves or words its threads. The PvPErs still left in this game aren't guilty of expressing their disappointment in Cryptic's treatment of the game, but they are guilty of not finding another game to play with devs that actually give a ****.

Some of us are waiting for Star Citizen, though I've been messing around a little to get a feel of how to pilot in that game.
    [Zone] Dack@****: cowards can't take a fed 1 on 1 crinckley cowards Hahahaha you smell like flowers
    Random Quote from Kerrat
    "Sumlobus@****: your mums eat Iced Targ Poo"
    C&H Fed banter
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Matchmaking.. sure. Not certain there's ever enough people queuing at any given time for it to really work properly; but it's a nice idea.

Still really don't see why anyone thinks leaderboards and stats are going to make PvP any more popular though. Way I see it, the only folks likely to care are PvPers; who either already play PvP, or are gone. :confused:

But, whatever; any additions at all would be welcome at this point.
  • dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    capnmanx wrote: »
    Still really don't see why anyone thinks leaderboards and stats are going to make PvP any more popular though.

PvP in any popular game is always about competition. Give people a ladder/leaderboard and some way to analyse stats and games and there will be a competition. There's no reason to play a multiplayer game if you don't like to compete.
    Right now, we don't have any of these features resulting in a lack of motivation to play PvP. Atm there's just meaningless pew pew for fun.
    Create a leaderboard and gameplay stats and people will get challanged to improve, to analyse, to be on top of the leaderboad one day.

It's not that these ideas are new in any way. These are very basic features you can find in any game that's relevant for eSports.

Cryptic claims to release Season 9.5, but tbh, this game still hasn't passed it's alpha phase yet.
    edited June 2014
    dgdolph wrote: »
    PvP in any popular game is always about competition. Give people a ladder/leaderboard and some way to analyse stats and games and there will be a competition. There's no reason to play a multiplayer game if you don't like to compete.
    Right now, we don't have any of these features resulting in a lack of motivation to play PvP. Atm there's just meaningless pew pew for fun.
    Create a leaderboard and gameplay stats and people will get challanged to improve, to analyse, to be on top of the leaderboad one day.

It's not that these ideas are new in any way. These are very basic features you can find in any game that's relevant for eSports.

Cryptic claims to release Season 9.5, but tbh, this game still hasn't passed it's alpha phase yet.

Yeah... that was what I meant by 'the only folks likely to care are PvPers'. No disrespect intended, but that's a very 'PvPer' sort of point of view.

I'm not what most people would think of as a PvPer; even though I've gotten pretty into PvP from time to time. I've been playing multiplayer games for years; but that doesn't mean that I really like to compete. I play PvP for the meaningless pew pew fun. I'm more likely to see a leaderboard as depressing than encouraging; assuming I pay it any mind at all.

Beyond that fact that I'm basically a PvE player who actually likes PvP anyway, I'm not much of a rarity in STO.

If there was a large number of serious PvPers amongst STO's player population who were just waiting to see if leaderboards would ever be added before joining in, then I could see it making a difference; but it doesn't seem likely that there is. Any such players have most likely left to make their homes in other games that better suit their needs by now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to PvP leaderboards by any means; I just see them as more of a quality of life thing for people who already do PvP, rather than a way of getting more people interested.
  • bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This is amazing :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Matchmaking.. sure. Not certain there's ever enough people queuing at any given time for it to really work properly; but it's a nice idea.

Still really don't see why anyone thinks leaderboards and stats are going to make PvP any more popular though. Way I see it, the only folks likely to care are PvPers; who either already play PvP, or are gone. :confused:

But, whatever; any additions at all would be welcome at this point.

A working matchmaking may improve the number of people willing to pvp.

Why? it would , if it works, put the elite with the elite, and the noobs with the noobs.

If it works, it would no longer be elite curbstomping noobs mostly every time someone tries it out.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    A working matchmaking may improve the number of people willing to pvp.

Why? it would , if it works, put the elite with the elite, and the noobs with the noobs.

If it works, it would no longer be elite curbstomping noobs mostly every time someone tries it out.

Exactly this! If players were matched with players of equal skill then we'd have less new players giving up on PvP... in the long run, eventually more passionate PvPers among the elite.

:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • tinkerbelchtinkerbelch Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Would love to be able to switch to a tier 2 ship at level 50 and have the matchmaking system pair me with other tier 2 ship captains and normalize the level difference. Would be a nice use for our old ships.
  • dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The PvP Tournament currently running clearly shows: We need a spectator mode! :(:(:(
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You're asking Cryptic to add something for PvP? Are you insane? Hell, they don't even modify stuff that's actually ON Tribble regardless of good feedback 99$ of the time. Given how much they've done for PvP since launch (read virtually nothing beyond one new ground map and some queue restructuring) - why would you expect them to add leaderboards that track stats? (which I do agree would be nice.)

Come on, be realistic here. You have to show them how to monetize leaderboards before they'll even glance your way.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited July 2014
    You're asking Cryptic to add something for PvP? Are you insane? Hell, they don't even modify stuff that's actually ON Tribble regardless of good feedback 99$ of the time. Given how much they've done for PvP since launch (read virtually nothing beyond one new ground map and some queue restructuring) - why would you expect them to add leaderboards that track stats? (which I do agree would be nice.)

Come on, be realistic here. You have to show them how to monetize leaderboards before they'll even glance your way.

And then, once you've reminded them that there's PvP in this game, hope they don't decide it's too confusing for new players, or is making the download too big or something. ;)
  • tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Beyond that fact that I'm basically a PvE player who actually likes PvP anyway, I'm not much of a rarity in STO.

^ New to the forums, but some of Manx's words ring true (i.e. periods of interest followed by growing disinterest after imbalanced matches) I'd amend his post to say that personally, my brain is wired to want info, and I would find it fun to know more about the people involved so I could know from whom to seek advice and to whom to give some of my own.

Not knowing to what degree it is possible to slip groups into the solo/duo queues, it would be nice to have a way to know that if I lost, it was pilot error rather than being outmatched. Quantifying it would help me see where I stand and allow me to set a reasonable goal for myself...which is to get better rather than be the best.
    edited July 2014
    Yeah...but I've found the most fun is to armor up my Bastion, grab some Yellowstones, and poke my head in Ker'rat hoping all the while I'm not the only Fed there.

P.S. : Still working on making the whole turning in reverse thing reflexive
  • omgrandalthoromgrandalthor Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    People really care about leader boards lololol. pvp is not based on how many times you can press spacebar with A2B faw!. That is all leader boards will create.

What pvp in this game needs is territory control, more maps, more poen zone pvp stuff like that. If you want to know how good you are buck up and challenge fleets and other people to fights not read it off some dumb board that will rate how often your faw dem can go off...
    edited July 2014

What pvp in this game needs is territory control, more maps, more poen zone pvp stuff like that. If you want to know how good you are buck up and challenge fleets and other people to fights not read it off some dumb board that will rate how often your faw dem can go off...

My ship in PvP uses neither faw nor dem nor a2b, and yet survived a 1v1with a scimitar inducted into the 20k channel (I'll grant that this may or may not be a great measure of his effectiveness). I'd love to challenge other fleets and have fleet v.s. fleet, but everyone else in my group is PvP-averse.

As for what PvP needs, I agree on pretty much all points.