test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dear Devs, this is how STO should look like...

dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
edited July 2014 in PvP Gameplay
Since you seem to have no clue what to do with PvP for many years, I decided to show you guys how a proper PvP environment should look like in an award winning MMO that claims to compete with other games!

We need a leaderboard ingame that allows matchmaking! If you have no plans for Season 10 (lol :rolleyes:), make the lobby for PvP Games look like this:
http://s7.directupload.net/images/140618/wajgj3dt.png

We also need profiles with various ingame stats and detailed informations about the last matches. This might possibly look like this:
http://s7.directupload.net/images/140618/ojdtss5l.png

And to all my fellow Players:
Let's take matters into our own hands! Lets create a big collection of ideas to show to cryptic. If they know exactly what we want and how it should be done we might get the ball rolling :)

Let's put some pressure on the Devs: tell'em any time what we need and what we want until they speak to us!
Post edited by dgdolph on

Comments

• bethshepardbethshepard Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Can we please has this cryptic? The first is so necessary I need this in my life! And the second would be nice... You know if you have some spare dev time
  • nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yeah, recruit hilbert as new dev and implement what dgdolph proposed!!!!
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited June 2014
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    One thing I would add to the first screen is ship icons, so we can see who's flying what. And it should be allowed to toggle on/off for the other team. I would also like a Ready-Up button.

Then use it for all matches, queued or private, PVP and PVE alike. If you join any queue, you get put into the instanced queue with the dialog, so you can see who else on your team, what they are flying, etc., and people can coordinate their teams accordingly.

I dont know if the player profiles are needed. Seems like opportunity for being mean/rude to new and underperforming players.
  • sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    I think a PvP tab with all that would be a great update. And I don't even PvP a lot, and I support this!
  • dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    One thing I would add to the first screen is ship icons, so we can see who's flying what.
    Great Idea, thx for that! I'll add this when I got the time

I would also like a Ready-Up button.
    Take a look again on the upper right corner ;)
  • neppakyoneppakyo Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Im onboard for that.

Devs, make PvP BETTER. It's not all about PvE heros.
    Quote about STO on consoles: "Not quite as bad as No man's sky, but a close second."
  • riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    omg looks epic, definitely looking forward to something like that!
  • devorasxdevorasx Member Posts: 693
    edited June 2014
    An old timer endorses this....

*runs back to WoT*
    Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
  • rast1qqrast1qq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    nandospc wrote: »
    Yeah, recruit hilbert as new dev and implement what dgdolph proposed!!!!
    I agree !!!
    FaW+DEM+AtB in pvp = High score , no skill.
    PVP 2014 - Fawn00bs,Vapers and leavers...
  • notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited June 2014
    we can only dream that one day we'll get that.
  • torachtorach Member Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    dgdolph wrote: »
    Since you seem to have no clue what to do with PvP for many years, I decided to show you guys how a proper PvP environment should look like in an award winning MMO that claims to compete with other games!

We need a leaderboard ingame that allows matchmaking! If you have no plans for Season 10 (lol :rolleyes:), make the lobby for PvP Games look like this:

We also need profiles with various ingame stats and detailed informations about the last matches. This might possibly look like this:

Let's take matters into our own hands! Lets create a big collection of ideas to show to cryptic. If they know exactly what we want and how it should be done we might get the ball rolling :)

Let's put some pressure on the Devs: tell'em any time what we need and what we want until they speak to us!

Just adding this would get alot of PVP'ers to play more.. and getting PVP'ers to play more would ensure that they would make more money. Without really having to make any reward system what so ever...

and the only thing they would sacrifice is the time to implement this... and considdering how advanced most of their content has been lately, they should have people capable of creating this within a short time...
    "Better were the days when mastery o' space came not from bargains struck with eldritch creatures... but from the sweat of a man's brow and the strength of his back alone. Ye all know thi's to be true!"
  • eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What about a tournament system?

In game a nice add to private matches can be the possibility to put dhilithium and/or ec into a temporary bank... the one who create the instance decide the minimum amount of ec/dhilitium every player has to pay and the winners will receive all of that as a reward.

Outside the game, as a portion of the sto portal it would be nice to have a way to publish a call for tournament, manage subscriptions and matches.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    this would be awesome, if just for the match making alone, even if there was none of this displayed to players
    edited June 2014
    Since Cryptic is also interested in earning money with this game, I can even imagine some Store Items that I'd gladly pay for:

500 Zen - Enable advanced PvP Stats Viewer
    1000 Zen - Access to Match Replayer
    2500 Zen - save unlimited numbers of matches
    250 Zen - Advanced Profile Customizations
    250 Zen - enable profile guestbook

What do you think about these purchases? Would you buy at least some of them?
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    World of Tanks is a game obsessed with stats and winrates and as such has one of the most toxic communities out there. People simply give up at the start of a match because the "Projected win chance" is too low for them. Trust me, we'll all be worse off if STO goes this way.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    like!

but to me it just aligns with all the other work already done by players and all the fleshed out ideas out of the community (just look at mancoms/hilberts tool).
    last has been territory control, set up by drkfrontiers. awesome idea, much work put into and there we are: nothing happened! sry, thats wrong: they even took some steps back regarding pvp :mad:.

so imo no one should give em any ideas. they already got tons of ideas for pvp out of the community over the years(!). they're the ones that get paid for to build this game and somehow satisfy their customers (now don't say: "but that's what they do"). i'm not willing to support their attitude anymore! indeed the option i choose is pure pressure. that's the only thing they deserve regarding pvp imo, no matter how sad it seems to myself :(.

just 2 worthless cents that had to be dropped :D;)...
  • nassirisnassiris Member Posts: 111
    edited June 2014
    Nice post OP, I for one would love to be able to do PVP and Fleet. Every time I log into the game there is nobody to be found to do these events, it's completely dead out there. I think part of the problem is everyone is too busy grinding the Rep.. The Dev's I think have turned the game into a grind-mill once you reach max rank.
  • dius1981dius1981 Member Posts: 500
    edited June 2014
    I also agree this would make an awesome addition to the game.

I suggest we keep bumping this post to top of PvP forum...

D,
    OMEGA ARMADA & House of Beautiful Orions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please keep the QQ to a minimum.
    >>>PUNISH THE FEDs<<<
    >>>Positive Feedback from a PvE HERO<<<
  • hurleybirdhurleybird Member Posts: 909
    edited June 2014
    Don't delude yourselves. Cryptic doesn't give a **** about PvP, and they never will.
  • jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Looks really great!!!

But don't forget to add the data points about how much the player has spend in $$$, so that free players will know that they got mowed over by players with better ships and gear from lockboxes or Lobi Store.
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • lordcuttersladelordcutterslade Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hurleybird wrote: »
    don't Delude Yourselves. Cryptic Doesn't Give A **** About Pvp, And They Never Will.

The JORF Returns!

And yes you're right Jorf, and people should have learned by now.
    But don't forget to add the data points about how much the player has spend in $$$, so that free players will know that they got mowed over by players with better ships and gear from lockboxes or Lobi Store.

^ this is just funny

People just have to accept that PvP isn't the money maker here.

Anyways something like this could bring more people into PvP but there's a huge issue.
    Many skills/abilities just don't appear in the combatlog and so can't be rated.
    Only skills that either heal or deal dmg do appear in the log - correct me pls if i'm wrong.

I also saw some vote kick button which is a bad idea imo.
    People will either grief or kick known weak players out (like for example Jorf) cough cough :D
    [SIGPIC]Everything is awesome![/SIGPIC]
  • nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The JORF Returns!

And yes you're right Jorf, and people should have learned by now.

^ this is just funny

People just have to accept that PvP isn't the money maker here.

Anyways something like this could bring more people into PvP but there's a huge issue.
    Only skills that either heal or deal dmg do appear in the log - correct me pls if i'm wrong.

I also saw some vote kick button which is a bad idea imo.
    People will either grief or kick known weak players out (like for example Jorf) cough cough :D

I would kick CUT....:P
  • tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Since you seem to have no clue what to do with PvP for many years, I decided to show you guys how a proper PvP environment should look like in an award winning MMO that claims to compete with other games! (...)

This is exactly the kind of post (specifically the wording) that 1.) gives the forum (player) community a poor reputation; and 2.) if I worked at Cryptic/PWE, pass on this thread.

Let's consider the following:

1.) Cryptic hosts a Livestream Q&A. Make the effort to ask about PvP there.

2.) Offer constructive feedback. Personally, I like that you put the energy/effort into creating mockups of possible PvP UIs, plus soliciting the community for feedback. But seriously... offer constructive, positive feedback, not threatening "Let's put some pressure on the Devs: tell'em any time what we need and what we want until they speak to us!"

3.) It's well-known that Mr. D'Angelo (STO Executive Producer) is far more reserved about engaging with the community than Mr. Stahl or Mr. Zinkievich ever were. (And we clamored for updates, improvements, etc. with similar levels of frustration about STO development/planning.)

For whatever reason, PvP has been put on the backburner. Along with the FED Constellation-class ship release, among other desired updates.

On average, software product management cycles run approx. 6 months in advance of a release. People don't get why features aren't addressed quicker... or bugs aren't squashed/patched faster unless they're impacting profit margins, a legal/contractual obligation, etc.

IMHO, recent changes to STO (S9 reputation traits, ship loadouts; S9.5 crafting revamp) have to yield statistics/results BEFORE introducing PvP revamps. Cryptic appears to be addressing power creep issues. They're releasing a "metric ton" of C-Store ships this year. All of the current work for S9 and S9.5 doesn't permit (in my opinion) any extra budgeting towards a near-term PvP revamp.

I would ask Cryptic:
    Could the STO team please address (or announce) the product development roadmap around PvP plans?
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thing is, the first dialog can work with all team content, which means all queued PVE and PVP alike.

Thread is more likely to get more traction and less trolling/negativity if its a suggestion for all queued gameplay, rather than being something just for PVP.
    edited June 2014

That might be true atm, but consider cryptic is hosting the servers they are in the position to track anything going on in arena ;)
    edited June 2014
    tucana66 wrote: »
    This is exactly the kind of post (specifically the wording) that 1.) gives the forum (player) community a poor reputation; and 2.) if I worked at Cryptic/PWE, pass on this thread.
    I'm sorry for not being a native speaker :(

1.) Cryptic hosts a Livestream Q&A. Make the effort to ask about PvP there.
    Sure you can ask, but you can't provide concrete ideas what you would like to see.

2.) Offer constructive feedback. Personally, I like that you put the energy/effort into creating mockups of possible PvP UIs, plus soliciting the community for feedback. But seriously... offer constructive, positive feedback, not threatening "Let's put some pressure on the Devs: tell'em any time what we need and what we want until they speak to us!"
    I'm open for any kind of feedback. For English isn't my mother tongue, I'd be happy about any kind of suggestion for my OP and I'd apply the changes :)

I would ask Cryptic:
    Could the STO team please address (or announce) the product development roadmap around PvP plans?

Why not asking here aswell? Good idea anyway, feel free to do this :)
  • blessedladyboyblessedladyboy Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Would be awesome to add this. Great ideas.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Me thinks this is one smart cookie. Cryptic you should offer this one a job.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• kestrelliuskestrellius Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Just popping in to say this: it's either "this is how STO should look" or "this is what STO should look like".