test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dev Blog Attitude

vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
Apart from a stock market like news release all I can find is quite some attitude in the latest Dev Blog:

"Bah, I really don't feel like doing this nonsense but they talked me into it over hours.... it should really be some intern doing this... bah I got so many other and better things to do"

Give it a little more care guys. Thank you!

Or do you hate your work so much? It really comes accross that way.....
Post edited by vocmcp on

Comments

• Options
    gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I didn't get that. But I will not say your perspective is incorrect. I did get "this is a blog to tell you more blogs are coming."
  • Options
    vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    magnificent.

"we redid an entire system in the game as well as reworked the ui of another, we hope you like it. behold our villainous evil"

you serious?

I appreciate all the work they've done. What I don't like is that the first Exec. Dev Blog since ages reads like nothing more than a press releas. Yes - news are exiting but they've been put together in the most dry way possible. Just ask yourself on how you'd describe the writers mood. I'd say things like pissed, stressed, would rather be doing something else, not very interested, doesn't see the point of this.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I didn't get that. But I will not say your perspective is incorrect. I did get "this is a blog to tell you more blogs are coming."

Which tend to be the blogs before more blogs come, right? :D

I mean, it's kind of what they do with them - just the lil' hey, guys checking in sort of thing. That it was D'Angelo was kind of pseudo-needed.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hmm... actually I kind of hope this is a sign of things to come, I would much rather have the information consolidated into a few paragraphs rather than a page of fluff with snippets of info in there somewhere.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So someone didn't go over it and play amature marketing dude(tte)... stretching it out... and out... and out some more... ... ... ...

and Perhaps another paragraph of fluff...

one more why not...

Oh hey this post is saying, nice to have things summarized and to the point.

So in other words I am saying, to the point is better then having 8 paragraphs all saying the exact same thing.... the same thing man over and over...

and over.

Liked the short to the point blog.

:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    vocmcp wrote: »
    I appreciate all the work they've done. What I don't like is that the first Exec. Dev Blog since ages reads like nothing more than a press releas. Yes - news are exiting but they've been put together in the most dry way possible. Just ask yourself on how you'd describe the writers mood. I'd say things like pissed, stressed, would rather be doing something else, not very interested, doesn't see the point of this.

And that's what it is that has me growing more sad with the game each day.

Yeah ... It's getting better in some ways, but the attitude I see in that post (after his silence) is .... blah.

Makes me not care at all about the new system and hoping DOFFing isn't screwed up in the process.

My lack of faith is growing, sadly.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I didn't get that but instead like someone else mentioned this is a Blog to get you excited and to let you know more Blogs are coming out. Plus I think it's nice they listened to the community about revamping the crafting.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The blog was short, consises, and to the point focused on what they key area they are working to improve now is with an expression that more information will be released relating to subcomponents as they are improved. I frankly don't see what's wrong with it. I'm certainly glad they just said it and not ran it through a bull**** filter to merely fluff it out and make it bigger.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The blog was meant to be a teaser, something which appears to escape many.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Kind of agree... the first post about S9.5 was just boring. No real info. I understand that some things aren't ready to share yet, but teasing with no substance is just annoying, not exciting.

There should have been a full dev blog.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    The blog was meant to be a teaser, something which appears to escape many.

Indeed, people screaming for improving and fixing crafting system..... blog announces that is in fact where they will be focusing on, and that it will involve the need for improvements elsewhere to, and exists to merely give a heads-up for more information as they flesh the updates out more.

Dev pokes head up to give us a heads up at improving something people have been wanting for some time and gets tehir head chewed off.... and we wonder why we see so little dev interaction in this game, lol.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    Indeed, people screaming for improving and fixing crafting system..... blog announces that is in fact where they will be focusing on, and that it will involve the need for improvements elsewhere to, and exists to merely give a heads-up for more information as they flesh the updates out more.

Dev pokes head up to give us a heads up at improving something people have been wanting for some time and gets tehir head chewed off.... and we wonder why we see so little dev interaction in this game, lol.

Always been said the community was a major reason why they stopped responding like they used to back in the days of heretic and such.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Can I say his perspective is incorrect then? :D Even after rereading it looking for 'attitude' I don't see it.

Only thing I see as a silly mention is about power-boarding (which I hate as a pay-to-win piece of TRIBBLE event)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Can I say his perspective is incorrect then? :D Even after rereading it looking for 'attitude' I don't see it.

Only thing I see as a silly mention is about power-boarding (which I hate as a pay-to-win piece of TRIBBLE event)

P2W= having to spend real money in order to win, which you don't. But that's another topic.
  • Options
    cavaleriuscavalerius Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You know the devs probably are stressed. They probably don't like the current phase in their work right now and just want to go home.

Just remember this, they're working on the next expansion which is due to release in the next five months, hopefully. They're also working on other side projects like S 9.5

AND, they're also doing this all on an engine that doesn't take kindly to new stuff being added. Some things like sector space are so ingrained into the game, any attempt to unify it is going to be its own expansion due to the work, as stated in Q&A. Some other things are going to require even more work than that. They've got no choice but to carry on, and that must really tire down the devs.

So give em some slack every now and then. They are after all fixing something that's been broken for four years...
    Beta Antares Shipyards advanced Starship development project.
    CLASSIFIED
    [SIGPIC]the_forseeable_future_by_jetfreak_7-d3dvsud.png
    [/SIGPIC]
    SUPPORT LOGICAL FEDERATION STARSHIP DESIGNS!
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    P2W= having to spend real money in order to win, which you don't. But that's another topic.

No, P2W can be w/o real money. You 'buy' a better board you win! How else would you describe the main difference between this and "Fast and Flurrious" race? ;) But I will agree that's for another topic. :D
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Someone said - "Be careful not to blink, you might miss the blog". They were right.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What I don't like is that the first Exec. Dev Blog since ages reads like nothing more than a press releas.

That's just D'Angelo's style. He's a tech guy, not a people person. Anyone around from his brief tenure as EEPH can testify to that.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It is the first Dev Blog out of what will probably be a dozen or more - all directly explaining Season 9.5 at a pace the Marketing Team wants the information released.

And let us be honest here, Steven D'Angelo has stated more then once that he does not like the PR aspect of the job. He is a quiet guy who does not like the limelight or attention. He is old-school: do the job and let the work speak for itself.

I am certain many other people will be giving you exciting Dev Blogs full of details. As it is still probably a month or more away - it might even be the August release they hinted at - we have plenty of time to get more information.

Cheer up! :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I thought this was gonna address the irrational criticisms about today's blog.

Color me foolish.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Always been said the community was a major reason why they stopped responding like they used to back in the days of heretic and such.

Then they need to grow a pair and stop hiding in their bunker.

And how much of the ill-will is a direct result of frustration with Cryptics woefully poor communication style?
  • Options
    phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014

Do not EVER forget what Massively.com did to our community. While the behavior of the community can be attributed to the way the Devs communicate with us now. I will never ever forget the deafening silence after Massively twisted Borticus' words in this article:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/15/star-trek-online-dev-not-concerned-with-losing-global-playabilit/

See Borticus' response to Massively here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=4216437&postcount=76

See original Jupiter Force thread here:

http://jupiterforce.org/showthread.php?17532-Star-Trek-Online-Wants-Your-Feedback%E2%80%8F/page5

It was after THIS moment... that dev interaction became sanitized beyond belief. Dev interaction since then is mostly acknowledgement or requests of additional information on current issues, other random things, and un-important topics like Taco chiming in on random stuff. The exception of the rebuild of ESD which reminded me of the Tuffli days and the DOff system, I was impressed.

I also blame Brandon a bit, though no fault on him. I think he was really good at keeping information coming, sometimes it seamed daily... This was a big shift in how news was delivered to us and it worked for me up until he left. These new guys are no where to be found.... they have nothing on a regular basis... and I have lost interest and started playing Battlefield 4 though I understand everyone is entrenched in expansion 2.

Anyway. I cannot stand Massively... even though they have Terry now.. I refuse to read anything they produce and I cringe when Cryptic gives them exclusives. They should be ashamed and should hold that dishonor for seven generations just like a Klingon....
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Then they need to grow a pair and stop hiding in their bunker.

And how much of the ill-will is a direct result of frustration with Cryptics woefully poor communication style?

There's a difference between legitimate criticism and making threats, which people have done before.
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Apart from a stock market like news release all I can find is quite some attitude in the latest Dev Blog:

"Bah, I really don't feel like doing this nonsense but they talked me into it over hours.... it should really be some intern doing this... bah I got so many other and better things to do"

Give it a little more care guys. Thank you!

Or do you hate your work so much? It really comes accross that way.....

Damnit vocmcp he's an engineer, not a motivational speaker! Do you seriously expect him to be able to express passion?

Although I do have to say I have absolutely no interest in a crafting revamp for a F2P game that shoves the most interesting shineys of any system revamp into lockboxes (ahem traits, kit modules).
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    There's a difference between legitimate criticism and making threats, which people have done before.

Yeah, but Cryptic by virtue of their withdrawal treat both the same.

I used to work in customer relations, where i fielded irate customers.......at the Post Office.

You think these fora are bad?

Try a week in a real customer relation job.

These fora are easy....and Cryptic treating them like they're hard is just a bit pitiful.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Season 9 had 23 Dev Blogs, starting in March when the Season was announced - and that does not include Twitter, interviews, and various Podcasts as well. This averages out to around 8 Dev Blogs per month, which is around 2 per week.

I play a lot of MMOs. Do you think you could direct me to another MMO which releases 2 Dev Blogs per week? I would love to know what other existing MMOs are communicating more with their fans then Cryptic is about STO. I know it is not any of the 13 MMOs I am currently playing, so I will probably want to start playing these super-communication MMOs too.

Over the same 3 months SWTOR has had 13 news articles - 3 of which were telling people what city the Cantina Tour was in. So that is really only 10 news articles. Hmmm.... 23 STO, 10 SWTOR.

Over the same 3 months LotRO has had 7 news articles. Hmmm.... 23 STO, 7 LotRO.

Over the same 3 months Eve Online has had 3 news articles. Hmmm.... 23 STO, 3 EO.

Where you see "poor communication" I see a company that gave its fans the same information as the 3 competing MMOs combined. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Season 9 had 23 Dev Blogs, starting in March when the Season was announced - and that does not include Twitter, interviews, and various Podcasts as well. This averages out to around 8 Dev Blogs per month, which is around 2 per week.

I play a lot of MMOs. Do you think you could direct me to another MMO which releases 2 Dev Blogs per week? I would love to know what other existing MMOs are communicating more with their fans then Cryptic is about STO. I know it is not any of the 13 MMOs I am currently playing, so I will probably want to start playing these super-communication MMOs too.

Over the same 3 months SWTOR has had 13 news articles - 3 of which were telling people what city the Cantina Tour was in. So that is really only 10 news articles. Hmmm.... 23 STO, 10 SWTOR.

Over the same 3 months LotRO has had 7 news articles. Hmmm.... 23 STO, 7 LotRO.

Over the same 3 months Eve Online has had 3 news articles. Hmmm.... 23 STO, 3 EO.

Where you see "poor communication" I see a company that gave its fans the same information as the 3 competing MMOs combined. :)

I'm not comparing STO to any other MMO.

Partially because i can't see the point.

Customer relations can be done well or badly, but that dynamic is not a relative one.

Communication with the player base is also not the same as a dev blog.

Dev blogs are announcements.

Communication would happen if Cryptic engaged with the feedback from said announcements.

It's not an easy job, customer relations.

But its a necessary one.

Cryptic can do a lot better.

And, if i'm honest, there's been a glimmer of light with Smirks weekly QandA from the fora.

More of that sort of thing would go a long way.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I'm not comparing STO to any other MMO.
    If you are not comparing apples to apples what is the point?

What is your measuring stick for a company that communicates well with its fans?

Saying it is not as much as you want it to be is nothing more then emotionally biased blather - especially when it is much more then anything else in the industry.

Cryptic is one of the most communicative game design companies making MMOs. You might not like what they are doing but that does not mean they do not communicate what they are doing to you.
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Cryptic is one of the most communicative game design companies making MMOs. You might not like what they are doing but that does not mean they do not communicate what they are doing to you.

I would not necessarily agree with that. Not at all. I would agree they release alot of dev blogs and attempt to start the 'hype train' before release via twitter and participation with various podcasts and the like.

But most communicative? Not at all.

Last I checked EVE has a community council they fly out once a year for a big meet n greet in person with developers.

League of Legends at one point had weekly 'patch Vblogs' where they explained various changes and the rational behind them.

Warframe has Vblogs with 4+ developer leads where they discuss what they are working on in great detail. Plus the 'why' behind it all.

I could go on, and perhaps not all of those are MMOs but they all compete for my gaming attention. The only time I ever get a peek at the rational behind changes for STO is when geko goes brutal honest mode in a podcast. Beyond that nearly all communication from Cryptic can be summed up as 'attempting to create hype'. That isn't communication. Patch notes have that covered.