What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dev Blog Attitude

Comments

• Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think we've all just been spoiled by Brandon. I know I sure miss having him around dropping breadcrumbs almost every week day.

As for the latest blog, I like D'Angelo's style - straight, to the point, and offering not just the what, but also the why.
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    If you are not comparing apples to apples what is the point?

What is your measuring stick for a company that communicates well with its fans?

Saying it is not as much as you want it to be is nothing more then emotionally biased blather - especially when it is much more then anything else in the industry.

Cryptic is one of the most communicative game design companies making MMOs. You might not like what they are doing but that does not mean they do not communicate what they are doing to you.

Ah, we have a difference of definition. This is like the entire diminishing returns debate.

Good Communication involves not only informing me of what is coming but also explains why it will improve my gaming experience. It also requires you to take the time to elaborate on some details which may be unclear for whatever reason to avoid confusion.

The vast majority communication that comes out of Cryptic, beyond patch notes, has no more value than a TV commercial serving primarily to drive hype and excitement not to actually inform.

I have terrible communication skills, especially in written form.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There was 4 pieces of information revealed in this dev blog.

1. There is a Season 9.5. Some of us thought that due to Cryptic working on Expansion 2, Season 9.5 might have not happened.
    2. Season 9.5 will focus on crafting.
    3. The Duty Officer system will get a revamp.
    4. Season 9.5 will launch at the end of July.

This is a good introductory blog. Short, concise, and reveals the main features and release date of the Season.
  • Options
    vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    bareel wrote: »
    Damnit vocmcp he's an engineer, not a motivational speaker! Do you seriously expect him to be able to express passion?

In that case I'd expect the PR guys around him to guide him in a way that things sound better. E.g. just make an interview. Communication is not just what you write but also happens "between the lines" and this one wasn't good in that manner.
  • Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    bareel wrote: »
    Last I checked EVE has a community council they fly out once a year for a big meet n greet in person with developers.

We had a community council for, like, a week. Immediately after the announcement: the community revolted, a ton of people quit over the decision, and an entire fleet was harassed into leaving the game, because one of their members was on the council and made a joke about not liking the KDF.

We are why we cannot have nice things.
  • Options
    emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The dev blog was so short and cursory that I thought I was looking at a small announcement containing a link to the actual dev blog. Then after not finding it, I realised that Cryptic have finally decided to embrace honesty and drop all pretense of giving a damn about keeping us informed as to their plans. It's obvious that they don't have their hearts and minds in the right place anymore. They're only in it now to find new ways to force us to grind or spend money. I'm laying down a 1000 zen bet right here and now that the new crafting system will be a boring grindfest and will cost even more dilithium than the current system.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    If you are not comparing apples to apples what is the point?

What is your measuring stick for a company that communicates well with its fans?

Saying it is not as much as you want it to be is nothing more then emotionally biased blather - especially when it is much more then anything else in the industry.

Cryptic is one of the most communicative game design companies making MMOs. You might not like what they are doing but that does not mean they do not communicate what they are doing to you.

What am I comparing Cryptics customer relations record to?

Fair question.

I compare it to how companies across a wide range of pursuits do it. Well, the succesful ones, that is.

Your point seems to be that the worth or not of Cryptics endeavours in this regard is best compared to other MMO companies.

I can see why this is not the most contentious idea ever.

However, its a somewhat limiting comparison.

Why not compare their record against the absolute best examples in any field?

Why not strive to be more than just pretty good in a narrow field?

Because, if Cryptics customer relation was so good that it transcended the norm of the MMO field, it would be wildly financially successful.

And I'd be more than happy about that.
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    the dev blog did not really say anything it was a waste of my time reading it n waste of trendys time posting it massive fail :(
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited June 2014
    I saw nothing from the first replies to the OP nor did I see what the OP mentioned....

What I saw was this:

"Guys we are near our next update, this update is going to be Season 9.5 and it has to do with Crafting and Doff Systems.... Expect more detailed Dev Blogs in the weeks to come with info on the specifics..."
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited June 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    4. Season 9.5 will launch at the end of July.

Actually no, this dev blog mentioned the Update was going to hit Tribble End of July... meaning that it is going to be in tribble for Beta Testing and doing updates (high doubtful on testing and changes) but it'll be in tribble end of July, which means it'll be a few weeks before it gets launched... my guess it'll be around August/September...
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Actually no, this dev blog mentioned the Update was going to hit Tribble End of July... meaning that it is going to be in tribble for Beta Testing and doing updates (high doubtful on testing and changes) but it'll be in tribble end of July, which means it'll be a few weeks before it gets launched... my guess it'll be around August/September...

Wait, what?! Dev blog says:
    Season 9.5 will be on Tribble soon and will be live in late July.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2014

You need to work on your reading skills. From the dev blog:
    Season 9.5 will be on Tribble soon and will be live in late July.

From this Season 9.5 will hit Tribble for Beta Testing in June and will be released at the end of July.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Basically what the EP is saying is he doesn't do hype.

SO in a nutshell he kept it kind of short but detailed that crafting is coming in 9.5 and it will use doffs and there will be explanations. Not really any attitude he's just telling you what it is and what it will be nothing more nothing less.
  • Options
    magnusvanguardmagnusvanguard Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    vocmcp wrote: »
    Apart from a stock market like news release all I can find is quite some attitude in the latest Dev Blog:

"Bah, I really don't feel like doing this nonsense but they talked me into it over hours.... it should really be some intern doing this... bah I got so many other and better things to do"

Give it a little more care guys. Thank you!

Or do you hate your work so much? It really comes accross that way.....

Sounds like you need to take a break from this game and do something else, really when you get back after playing something else you will like this a lot more and won't be so prickly. :cool:
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Basically what the EP is saying is he doesn't do hype.

But he was asked to , so he tried .

... always points for trying ... :)
    And yes , this could also be a response to "Where's D'Angelo ?" thread recently .
    Not really any attitude he's just telling you what it is and what it will be nothing more nothing less.

Plus it also drops 'da bombshell' that there will be ... "something" between now and the next expansion 5-6 months from now .
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Apart from a stock market like news release all I can find is quite some attitude in the latest Dev Blog:

"Bah, I really don't feel like doing this nonsense but they talked me into it over hours.... it should really be some intern doing this... bah I got so many other and better things to do"

Really? I got more of a "Hey guys, sorry haven't been talking much. Working on something big. BBL. -Devs" kinda vibe from that last blog post.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    No, P2W can be w/o real money. You 'buy' a better board you win! How else would you describe the main difference between this and "Fast and Flurrious" race? ;) But I will agree that's for another topic. :D

No, pay to win is paying for top tier items using real life currency to gain a quick advantage over other players. Buying better items with in game currencies is simply playing the game.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    In that case I'd expect the PR guys around him to guide him in a way that things sound better. E.g. just make an interview. Communication is not just what you write but also happens "between the lines" and this one wasn't good in that manner.

I disagree entirely. it was short, to the point and got the information across clearly, this wasn't a motivational state of the game etc post, it was an informational post about what is coming up, there's no need for flowery BS and unicorns thast shoot rainbows out their backsides.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I didn't get that but instead like someone else mentioned this is a Blog to get you excited and to let you know more Blogs are coming out. Plus I think it's nice they listened to the community about revamping the crafting.

they never listen or read anything up from the community, we all knew that a crafting upgrade was needed at some point and this may have been on the schedule they set out with earlier in the year or some point last year. this is either D'Angelo's work, or what was left of Stahl's crazy ideas before he left.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    belidos wrote: »
    No, pay to win is paying for top tier items using real life currency to gain a quick advantage over other players. Buying better items with in game currencies is simply playing the game.
    I disagree entirely. it was short, to the point and got the information across clearly, this wasn't a motivational state of the game etc post, it was an informational post about what is coming up, there's no need for flowery BS and unicorns thast shoot rainbows out their backsides.

Hi, just thought I'd let you know on the "Multi-quote" function in the forums. See several posts that you'd like to answer? Between the "reply" button and the one with a white "quick reply" option is the "Multi-" option. Click the posts relevant and hit the post reply at the end of bottom of the page. And no, I am not trolling. Just thought I'd let you know. You can continue ranting now.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    a3001 wrote: »
    Hi, just thought I'd let you know on the "Multi-quote" function in the forums. See several posts that you'd like to answer? Between the "reply" button and the one with a white "quick reply" option is the "Multi-" option. Click the posts relevant and hit the post reply at the end of bottom of the page. And no, I am not trolling. Just thought I'd let you know. You can continue ranting now.

I know about the multi-quote, I just don't like multi-quoting, people get confused and they're annoying to read :p

Besides, I'd read two pages between them and going back and forth to find stuff to multi-quote is annoying and tedious.
  • Options
    apedilbertapedilbert Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What I want from a dev blog about crafting is some clue to whether or not crafting will actually be useful.

Besides the Horta, there really isn't any reason to do crafting. Maybe the improved refrequencer on Defera, but that's pretty much a separate thing. The endgame gear that can be made under the current system is less than MK XII Purple and, here's the big thing, requires items that can only be purchased with dilithium. If I'm spending a limited resource like dilithium, I expect something better than what I can find from random drops, not worse. If the devs want the new system to be successful, they need to address this.

The only other thing kind of worth getting is the Aegis set, but that's considered underpowered compared to reputation sets. It's also better to buy from someone who hasn't figured out crafting is worthless than to spend dilithium. I sincerely hope that whatever the new system is, it will allow players in fleets with advanced facilities to upgrade the Aegis set to a more powerful fleet variant.

Also, whatever changes happen to the doff system when it gets rolled into crafting, I hope it stays the same. Doffing is currently perfect, one of my favorite activities is to set up my assignments before I log off for the night.
  • Options
    l30p4rdl30p4rd Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Some of you really want to listen to yourselves. Who cares what they say they will just TRIBBLE you over in some way, shape or form and you will be thankful for it and defend them, of that I am sure.

So many double standards here !
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    l30p4rd wrote: »
    Some of you really want to listen to yourselves. Who cares what they say they will just TRIBBLE you over in some way, shape or form and you will be thankful for it and defend them, of that I am sure.

So many double standards here !

i never do and i know thats always a possibility with this team.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Just a stupid question: What do you call buying Zen with $, then buying lock box keys with Zen, then selling lock box keys for energy credits, then buying Loluhnat favors with energy credits and then buying a superior board with Loluhnat favors?
    If you can exchange real-word currency for in-game currency your point becomes moot.

Personally I don't recognize an attitude in the blog post. I just think that it wasn't necessary. It's trying to tease with a lack of information. The problem is that with Cryptic's track record that isn't something to get excited about but panicked.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I didn't get it this way exactly, but what do you expect from a devblog?

It's an ad, plain and simple. All it does is to tell you to be "excited" for all the epicness that is coming. Even the "Galaxy reboot" one told us how super exciting and epic the things are they did to the Galaxy Class (hint: They did absolutely nothing to two of the three variants and only questionable things for the third one). Those blogs are ads. There's not much more to it.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    wilbor2 wrote: »
    the dev blog did not really say anything it was a waste of my time reading it n waste of trendys time posting it massive fail :(

Before the dev blog, you already knew that there would be a crafting revamp, a DOFF UI revamp, DOFF would play into the crafting revamp, and that this would all be part of Season 9.5?

I can see why you thought this blgo post was a waste of time. You obviously have better sources than most.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Just a stupid question: What do you call buying Zen with $, then buying lock box keys with Zen, then selling lock box keys for energy credits, then buying Loluhnat favors with energy credits and then buying a superior board with Loluhnat favors?
    If you can exchange real-word currency for in-game currency your point becomes moot.

Personally I don't recognize an attitude in the blog post. I just think that it wasn't necessary. It's trying to tease with a lack of information. The problem is that with Cryptic's track record that isn't something to get excited about but panicked.

Pay-To-Win, traditionally, is about advantages you can only get by spending money. No amount of grind can take that cost away.

With the dilithium exchange, Cryptic nicely evaded the P2W concept. That said, I get it - you don't like that you either pay money or have to grind a ridicilous amount. I am not a fan either. But that model is not called Pay-To-Win.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited June 2014

It was short sweet and to the point

I liked it
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I am so upset with the lack of information on crafting.
    Why can't cryptic just post the open source code in the forums for us to sift through it for the next 5 years.

Geesh
    Should I start posting again after all this time?