test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Wow, the world must be turning upside down.

dark4blooddark4blood Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
They are seriously devoting a whole half season to crafting, a system they have left broken for 4 years!? Next thing you know PVP will get a revamp, that will be the day.
Post edited by dark4blood on

Comments

• Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Gecko said it was coming this year. Was only a matter of time.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    cavaleriuscavalerius Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You know, despite all of the rubbish we give the dev's in regards to the game development, they do listen to us and provide great content, despite the limitations of their engine. Sometimes I am amazed at what things they add into the game. A third of the current content ingame is to some extent broken, but they are taking steps to fix the largest of issues.

Hats off to the devs for some amazing upcoming work!
    Beta Antares Shipyards advanced Starship development project.
    CLASSIFIED
    [SIGPIC]the_forseeable_future_by_jetfreak_7-d3dvsud.png
    [/SIGPIC]
    SUPPORT LOGICAL FEDERATION STARSHIP DESIGNS!
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    After four years of shouting something was bound to happen. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,174 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Hopefully crafting will be viable again. I've already got one maxed crafter, and nothing worth crafting.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Better wait and see what it looks like before you start dancing
  • Options
    nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    dark4blood wrote: »
    The are seriously devoting a whole half season to crafting, a system they have left broken for 4 years!? Next thing you know PVP will get a revamp, that will be the day.

How do you know they're "devoting" anything? Much less half a season? Maybe they'll gloss over it a bit and go back to new lockboxes.
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Maybe this is just a small part of 9.5. Hopfully we will get some new story missions that will expand on the Iconian/Undine Lore. As much as I like the idea of a new crafting system. It would suck badly if this is all we got for 9.5. Sooner or later were bound to get some new STFs. Come on Cryptic its a space shootem up at heart. Start a war already.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hyefather wrote: »
    Maybe this is just a small part of 9.5. Hopfully we will get some new story missions that will expand on the Iconian/Undine Lore. As much as I like the idea of a new crafting system. It would suck badly if this is all we got for 9.5. Sooner or later were bound to get some new STFs. Come on Cryptic its a space shootem up at heart. Start a war already.

Well the blog did say "some of the new things coming in 9.5"
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's probably more than just crafting. I would suspect a feature episode that cements the new peace, hopefully along with the ability to team across factions without creating a private match.
    y1arXbh.png

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    sle1989 wrote: »
    It's probably more than just crafting. I would suspect a feature episode that cements the new peace, hopefully along with the ability to team across factions without creating a private match.
    New Mission Content seems unlikely when you consider that Expansion Pack II will be coming out shortly after Season 9.5, and it is full of new Missions.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Glad to see this, TBH 4 years ago (Im wondering if this game will only last to be a 5 year journey) I started crafting on my main toon, half way through I left it and never returned.. 9 other chars later, still havent been back but maybe memory alpha will be graced by the presence of my vessel again...
  • Options
    kryptkprkryptkpr Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    kintisho wrote: »
    Glad to see this, TBH 4 years ago (Im wondering if this game will only last to be a 5 year journey) I started crafting on my main toon, half way through I left it and never returned.. 9 other chars later, still havent been back but maybe memory alpha will be graced by the presence of my vessel again...

I have one max lvl crafter out of my 8 toons, but after PWE obtained the game, and the addition of the non-replicatable TRIBBLE I have not been back to craft anything else.

If they really want to fix or revamp crafting and do it right , get rid of the non-replicatable TRIBBLE, absolutely NOT have Doff's have anything to do with crafting, many players especially newer ones have no grasp of the Doff system, no care to, or are casual part time players with minimal Doff's. Doff's have no business in the crafting system.
    Add more(not necessarily 'easier') ways to obtain the already instituted items required for crafting, and make the items obtained via crafting more in line with the current items available in the game as just about everything in the current crafting system is out dated and pretty much useless.

Im not saying make crafting mindlessly easy, but make it so crafting has an acceptable challenge to it while still being a viable and enjoyable option for people

Hopefully they do not do to crafting what they have done to other things in this game and make it a horrendous grind fest..
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    kryptkpr wrote: »
    I have one max lvl crafter out of my 8 toons, but after PWE obtained the game, and the addition of the non-replicatable TRIBBLE I have not been back to craft anything else.

If they really want to fix or revamp crafting and do it right , get rid of the non-replicatable TRIBBLE, absolutely NOT have Doff's have anything to do with crafting, many players especially newer ones have no grasp of the Doff system, no care to, or are casual part time players with minimal Doff's.
    The non-replicitable TRIBBLE was probably because the old Crafting system didn't really use "time" as input for itself, and they feared people would just craft all the cool stuff and ignore Dilithium. It was a very poor stopgap that is - among other things - a key reason for Crafting being so useless right now.
    The other key reason I would name is that reputation gear and fleet gear is superior to crafted gear.
    End result is that Crafting is neither worth the effort nor the resources required for it.

I certainly hope non-replictables will be gone. They'll probably replaced with timers and other stuff, but hopefully less annoying ones.
    Doff's have no business in the crafting system.
    Add more(not necessarily 'easier') ways to obtain the already instituted items required for crafting, and make the items obtained via crafting more in line with the current items available in the game as just about everything in the current crafting system is out dated and pretty much useless.

Im not saying make crafting mindlessly easy, but make it so crafting has an acceptable challenge to it while still being a viable and enjoyable option for people

Hopefully they do not do to crafting what they have done to other things in this game and make it a horrendous grind fest..

I am not sure why DOFFs would have no place in the Crafting system. I think exactly the opposite.
    It seems to make perfect sense to me to have DOFFs an integral part of it. After all, who do you expect to do any actual crafting in the game world? Hardly the Captain! This is something his underlings will do for him.

And you can be assured that new players will get interested in DOFFing if it's part of Crafting, and any lack of knowledge won't be a problem - they'll learn. Not to forget that DOFFing thanks to all the imbalanced DOFF passives has become pretty important at endgame anyway.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited June 2014
    I just hope the end results are at least Reputation level
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have 2 maxed crafters i did at one point go though a phase of crafting low lvl stuff for new members but i lost interest in doing that. I really do hope u can make some good stuff comparable to rep stuff but im not holding my breath :rolleyes:
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Currently crafting is a complete waste of time,so i hope there will be major big time improvements to it. In this case, to be able to craft all up to date items and weaponry,Purple Mk Xll stuff and so on. If that could be done,it would be great. Come on cryptic,give us the wow factor here please and make it so.
  • Options
    conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm curious as to how they will revamp crafting without failing:

Option 1: Crafted gear is still not better than rep/fleet gear. No one will use it.

Option 2: Crafted gear is better than rep/fleet gear? People will rage until great Olympus shakes...and you will make people lose interest in rep/fleet grinds.

Option 3: (the one I think they are taking) Add some sort of special stat to crafted gear. Option 1 or Option 2 will happen depending on the stat.

The only way to actually make crafting useful would be to add some items that are only avaialable from crafting? But how do you do that, add some new slots to characters and ships? Remove other sources for those items?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I'm curious as to how they will revamp crafting without failing:

Option 1: Crafted gear is still not better than rep/fleet gear. No one will use it.

Option 2: Crafted gear is better than rep/fleet gear? People will rage until great Olympus shakes...and you will make people lose interest in rep/fleet grinds.

Option 3: (the one I think they are taking) Add some sort of special stat to crafted gear. Option 1 or Option 2 will happen depending on the stat.

The only way to actually make crafting useful would be to add some items that are only avaialable from crafting? But how do you do that, add some new slots to characters and ships? Remove other sources for those items?
    Assuming a Level Cap increase and a bump to Mk XIV gear with the new EP, Rep gear will become less advantageous. I imagine Fleet gear will get new unlock requirements to access Mk XIV - though it is possible that Mk XIV will end up being new end-game Raid or Crafting Content.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Main Feature - Crafting Revamp

Minor Feature - Tailor Revamp (lets customize our FE/Embassy/Rep Boffs)

Other Features - Bug Fixes

#wish
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Better wait and see what it looks like before you start dancing

very much this you think after romulans / bikinis ppl would not star jumping for JOY me gets the feeling its going to be tied much more in to dill maybe even a rep for crafting but lets be frank here even with crafting it never going to be on par with fleet stuff maybe even mission reward stuff so then i ask whats the point?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    very much this you think after romulan bikinis ppl would not star jumping for JOY me gets the feeling its going to be tied much more in to dill maybe even a rep for crafting but lets be frank here even with crafting it never going to be on par with fleet stuff maybe even mission reward stuff and then i ask whats the point?
    This is the only thing I know for certain, whatever it is: Some will hate it, some will like it, most just will not care one way or the other. :)
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    cavalerius wrote: »
    You know, despite all of the rubbish we give the dev's in regards to the game development, they do listen to us and provide great content, despite the limitations of their engine. Sometimes I am amazed at what things they add into the game. A third of the current content ingame is to some extent broken, but they are taking steps to fix the largest of issues.

Hats off to the devs for some amazing upcoming work!

Maybe it is because we are reaching a point that they NEED to listen of some of the player base..better later than never, i guess, if not, i dont think people will keep playing to something that is getting mega boring month after month.

And you think its right that they keep releasing content with the limits of the engine?? that they ignore completely that limit and they keep doing events and battlezones based on a high quantity of players / ships?? is that ok for you?? i suposse you are one of those who doesnt care at all about the future of this game. So sad. But keep thinking that way, as everybody does and you will see how soon you will be missing STO one day.

And im hope im wrong, but knowing the great "skills" of the devs.. this crafting revamped system will be the most bugged addition ever in the story of STO (and that is already a big one lol), you should wait until it is fihished, released, fixed and released again.. (and with plans for more fixes.. lol).

Im just saying.. that you know how this works. Dont be so happy until you see it is working as intended TM.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    dark4blood wrote: »
    They are seriously devoting a whole half season to crafting, a system they have left broken for 4 years!? Next thing you know PVP will get a revamp, that will be the day.
    I do hope that PvPers get what they want next.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hopefully the revamp will be good enough for me to max out crafting on the one toon which I have bothered attempting to craft. I think I am about 100 - 150 points ways.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    very much this you think after romulans / bikinis ppl would not star jumping for JOY me gets the feeling its going to be tied much more in to dill maybe even a rep for crafting but lets be frank here even with crafting it never going to be on par with fleet stuff maybe even mission reward stuff so then i ask whats the point?

For once I agree with you. We. Shall. See.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    i remain on the fence for now on the crafting system. tbh, hopes and fears should be kept in check until tribble.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    i remain on the fence for now on the crafting system. tbh, hopes and fears should be kept in check until tribble.

It is the best way.

The blog gives no real details, but the snippets sound pretty good. New gear and abilities not available through drops. I don't expect top tier crafted items to compete with rep or fleet gear but if it's usable at the endgame it could be worth playing around with.

Then there is the duty officer facelift as well. Since the system works pretty well as it is I guess it's just a UI update.
  • Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Now all we need is a season for bug fixing.

That said if crafting gear remains sub par to rep or fleet gear then they are wasting their time.
  • Options
    mechguy85mechguy85 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    For the most part, this is game number 15 or so for me, crafted items, and the mats that go into them have always been inferior compared to grind rewards without a way to upgrade them. Having looked at the current crafting system for this game, it would need a massive overhaul, as well as a way to upgrade what you create to get it on target with reward/rep gear to be worth even attempting. Who knows maybe that's what they're shooting for here :)