test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Shoot. The. Medics!

walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
So I've just come from a disaster of a Battlezone match, and not a single person but me was bothering to hit the medics. How stupid can people be? I mean it's just basic sense that if you're not killing medics you're losing the game, isn't it?
http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
Post edited by walshicus on

Comments

• defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    That would be the dumb people that like to go "Me shoot Dino, me good, me run next Dino. We are smart, we make Dilithium.".
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's funny that to this very day they never bothered to change the medics into engineers like the on-screen text suggests and what would make much more sense. But that's Cryptic, after all :D

Regarding the topic, I've literally never seen a BZ fail. You tag, run to the next boss, tag, run to the last and start fighting. Unless everyone is in the same zone in the end, it should be impossible to lose this.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    My one simple rule for the Voth battle zone - shoot everything!

Dino's, Voth, turrets...if it highlights red it's going bye bye.
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    One time I was running it, got close to the area as everyone was running away - Apparently everyone who should have been fighting had 'tagged' and run, leaving no-one at all to fight the dino, let alone the medics... So I just sat there and watched as the silo was emptied. Not the best use of my time, but well... Sod it.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Tagging and running is good, since that's what keeps you on the go to kill those medics. What people don't get is that tagging the dinos isn't what's important: Tagging the MEDICS is what's important. I run through, I kill the medics, ignore the Dino unless there's no medic to tag, and then move to the next place and repeat the process. Once I have logged all 3, I check out which zone is most endangered and go there to kill some more medics. Let the noobs shoot the dinos: The dinos aren't important. If you kill all the medics, you win, as there are only a finite number of medics and once they are all dead, the Voth cannot win the zone. But with all the veterans off at Risa, you can figure that cluelessness and noobishness rules the day there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Sadly I have been on one total failure and a couple of close calls where only one silo was secured, and it's all down to the AFK bots that moved from the STFs to the battlezone.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    walshicus wrote: »
    So I've just come from a disaster of a Battlezone match, and not a single person but me was bothering to hit the medics. How stupid can people be? I mean it's just basic sense that if you're not killing medics you're losing the game, isn't it?

my order of attack, brute force approach, if its not working, identifying the problem and knock out the support pins, the rest will come crashing down. failing that cause enough chaos to drag threat that your teammates can gain the advantage and turn the fight around, you either push on to the target or your next attempt is coming around the back again and removing the threat at its source. i have been known not to follow conventional tactics. its a strength and weakness.

on sto is far more simpler then a shooter would be, you know what your threaten target is and how to deal with it. if people cant see the wood from the trees, well, thats upto them if they need their eyes examined.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • vusixvusix Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2014

The reason why I sometimes say 'shoot the medics first or risk loosing the silo' in the zone chat there when it is time to secure the silo's. But even before the Risa event most people just took a pot shot at the Rex and then ran away. If the only they bothered to shoot the medics first instead.
  • medtac124medtac124 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    As an Army medic I was rather startled by the title of this thread
    [SIGPIC]Click here to visit our website[/SIGPIC]
    lunasto wrote: »
    Banned because I don't like your pictures eyebrows! They look like pinball flippers!
    edited June 2014
    vusix wrote: »
    The reason why I sometimes say 'shoot the medics first or risk loosing the silo' in the zone chat there when it is time to secure the silo's. But even before the Risa event most people just took a pot shot at the Rex and then ran away. If the only they bothered to shoot the medics first instead.

theres currently an issue with the game play mechanics there that was ignored by the devs, shooting the dino means you took part in helping to take it down and qualify for a big dyson mark pay off for it, get all three dinos "tagged" by spraying them with weapons fire and a full mission secure, thats a lot of marks just for a few minutes of work. so these people wont help take down medics until they tagged all three dinos and find the most populated group to take down the dinos incase the dino reset, that way they pick it up again on the rewards.

for anyone else though, shooting medics on the omega harvest is a priority or its a potential mission fail. tbh people should know that already.
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    How stupid can people be?

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Good luck, most people just think a few thoughts, and here they are: "THAY WILL LIKE TOTALY SHOOT THE MEDIKS", "OKAY, THEN I CAN GET MORE BONISES BY SHOOTING BIG DINO 1CE", "WUT HAPPENED?! I DONT GET ANY REWARD", "THE PEEPUL FIGHTING BIG DINO AND MEDIC MEDIC MUST HAV BEEN LAZZY OR STUPID"*.

That's what I'm guessing.

*Mistypes and stupid spelling intended
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    medtac124 wrote: »

Ha, me too! :)

Taking out the medics 1st is pretty standard MMO-fare.
  • martinisonmartinison Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Have to agree that it's mostly due to poor design. When I first started running this I went to the first dino, took the time to take down the medics and dino and by the time I was done couldn't get to the others in time. Didn't take long to realize that was a poor strategy if I wanted to max out my rewards so I started doing the same tag and run that everyone else does. I'll be honest, I don't know much about the zone so reading this thread helps, but I'm sure most people in there are like me, not really knowing what to do but knowing that they need to tag the dinos in order to get the reward. If it was designed in such a way that each dino came up one at a time and you were guaranteed to be able to get to all three the problem would disappear instantly.
    edited June 2014
    Ha, me too! :)

Taking out the medics 1st is pretty standard MMO-fare.

on other games medics are not the first priority, its respawn devices that lands enemy troops on your head or spawns more nearby, or a respawn point that refuses to go down in your territory unless another area is captured to remove that threat. othertimes its not even that which is the concern, a specific player could be causing so much trouble that they become the threat, like a problem gunship thats in just about the perfect position to gun down anything, once thats removed the rest falls apart quickly because the enemy was not expecting such an instant and lethal response. its been known to happen on other games.
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited June 2014

So the first time you entered the battle zone you just immediately knew that shooting the medics was the way to win? It's that obvious? (I wouldn't know; I don't go in there, so you'll have to enlighten me.)
    boldly-watched.png
  • kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    So the first time you entered the battle zone you just immediately knew that shooting the medics was the way to win? It's that obvious? (I wouldn't know; I don't go in there, so you'll have to enlighten me.)

There are pop-ups that tell you to do it.

Sadly those pop-ups say to target the Engineers, when those engineer mobs are marked as Medics. But to be fair, they are the only Voth troops there, everything else is a Raptor or T-Rex.
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    on other games medics are not the first priority, its respawn devices that lands enemy troops on your head or spawns more nearby, or a respawn point that refuses to go down in your territory unless another area is captured to remove that threat. othertimes its not even that which is the concern, a specific player could be causing so much trouble that they become the threat, like a problem gunship thats in just about the perfect position to gun down anything, once thats removed the rest falls apart quickly because the enemy was not expecting such an instant and lethal response. its been known to happen on other games.

Depends on the game I suppose. Typically medics are first priority because they will heal all those baddies that are being dropped on your head.
  • stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Okay, shoot the medic, but after some of the posts I read I think The Galactic Humane Society® should remind you that Dinosaurs with freakin' laser beams are people too.
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jbmonroe wrote: »

Yes, the popups spelling out "shoot the engineers before they get all the Omega particles" made it pretty [censored] obvious. The Engineer/Medic thing could be an issue, I suppose, to those too dense to realize it means "shoot the Voth and not their pet dinosaurs" but outside of that Ultra-Derp possiblity they tell you what to do in terms an average American third-grader (or "developmentally challenged" 4-year-old from anywhere else) could understand.

The only real issue here is the laughable assumption that most players read instead of just hammering "F" to "get that annoying text out of the way while imma firin' my lazorz!!1!!"
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    medtac124 wrote: »

The Geneva convention does not apply to non earthlings.;)
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    It's funny that to this very day they never bothered to change the medics into engineers like the on-screen text suggests and what would make much more sense. But that's Cryptic, after all :D

Regarding the topic, I've literally never seen a BZ fail. You tag, run to the next boss, tag, run to the last and start fighting. Unless everyone is in the same zone in the end, it should be impossible to lose this.

I've seen plenty fail. If the medics take all the omega from a silo you automatically lose that silo.
  • cialasscialass Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    When I am running and tagging, if I am the only one at a silo, i will attack the medics and wait for some one else to show up before moving on. Yes I may not make it to all 3 occasionally, but that is better then losing all together.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Yeah, it's common sense. That's why you don't see some people doing it often. :D

I reckon the big, scary V-Rex just begs for all of the attention.

It doesn't matter the instance or the mission, priority elimination of the medic NPC is always a good idea. Not just where it's necessary to complete the mission successfully, like the Omega silo fights.
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    incentivisation. cryptic refuse to link reward to effort. this is the natural result.

fact is, it isnt the taggers that are to blame. its the tryhards covering for them.

if nobody volunteered themselves for the extra work (with no extra reward), the zone would have broken months ago and cryptic would have been forced to address the ideological failures they build into their reward systems, and the resulting systems themselves.

because as it stands, the zone itself is encouraging its own demise due to it being more rewarding to tag and zone hop than it is to actually put the effort in.

cryptic demonstrably did it bass ackwards.:rolleyes:

And they repeated it in the Undine zone. Destroying Undine rifts gives rewards. Keeping them from re-opening not. Yesterday I was in a zone where the Undine constantly reopened rifts (I guess most players had gathered together to close them, so when they finally hit the last ones the first ones' timers were all up. The result was that most players bunched up in the red zones the Undine managed to take back while a few did the thankless job of keeping them out of the others.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    I've seen plenty fail. If the medics take all the omega from a silo you automatically lose that silo.

I know the mechanics, but I have never seen that happening and in theory it should be impossible, assuming there are at least 15 players in the instance.

In theory every players runs around and tags. ~5 start in each zone and finish in another zone after their tagging run. Then they start fighting and once the boss is down move to the next. In theory that means that each zone should have 5 players at all times, having 20 players in the instance just adds more backup. A zone needs 1 or 2 players to avoid loss and at least this should be assured. And this works out quite well, at least in all the time I played the BZ.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited June 2014
    so these people wont help take down medics until they tagged all three dinos and find the most populated group to take down the dinos incase the dino reset, that way they pick it up again on the rewards.
    But here's the thing: Shooting the medics ALSO grants you your tag. There's NO reason to NOT shoot the medics. I specifically shoot the medics WHILE I tag. Tagging is actually the correct way to play the zone, you even receive an achievement for successfully doing so. If people did not tag and simply blindly fired into the first dino they saw, one or more areas would be lost. You have to move to defend all of them. In fact, your pay is explicitly penalized for failure to do so, or for allowing a zone to fail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nassirisnassiris Member Posts: 111
    edited June 2014
    defalus wrote: »
    That would be the dumb people that like to go "Me shoot Dino, me good, me run next Dino. We are smart, we make Dilithium.".

I could see in my head a vision of a player just now walking hunched over
    dragging their nuckles on the ground. :)
    edited June 2014
    nassiris wrote: »
    I could see in my head a vision of a player just now walking hunched over
    dragging their nuckles on the ground. :)
    Essentially accurate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]